Start by marking “The Man Who Collected Machen and Other Weird Tales” as Want to Read:
The Man Who Collected Machen and Other Weird Tales

The Man Who Collected Machen and Other Weird Tales

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Cryptic and potent languages, bizarre cults, mysteries that span the gulf between life and death, occult influences that reverberate through history like a dying echo, irresistible cosmic decay, forces of nightmare that distort reality itself, gateways to worlds where esoteric knowledge rots the future. Here, from Mark Samuels, the author of Glyphotech and Other Macabre Pr ...more
Published March 16th 2011 by Chomu Press (first published May 2010)

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Who Collected Machen and Other Weird Tales

The Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeThe Yellow Wall-Paper by Charlotte Perkins GilmanThe Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley JacksonScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin SchwartzVital Signs by Emily Walker
Most Terrifying Short Stories
235th out of 259 books — 379 voters
American Gods by Neil GaimanPerdido Street Station by China MiévilleTagged by Joseph M. ChironPhase 4 by David DennisThe Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
Best Weird Fiction Books
166th out of 191 books — 302 voters

More lists with this book...

Maciek
An American outsider finds himself in a dusty, forgotten corner of Eastern Europe...a strange, unknown language begins to appear on London billboards... sleepy Mexican town holds a chestful of secrets...an Arthur Machen enthusiast meets the author's biggest fan, and gets what he always wanted...and more!

Mark Samuels's The Man Who Collected Machen is an entertaining collection of weird fiction and my introduction to this author. Some of the stories have been published before in horror anthologies
Grant Wamack
The Man who Collected Machen and Other Tales is the latest short story collection by Mark Samuels. Samuels is a cosmic horror writer who has been making a name for himself in the weird fiction scene and quickly becoming an underground legend.

I decided to point out the standout stories, even though all of them are good in their own right.

“The Mould” is darkly disturbing vision of the future overrun by a conscious mould that consumes planets and makes its way across galaxies. It sort of remind
Orrin Grey
After reading "The White Hands" in The Weird, I finally tracked down a collection by Mark Samuels, who I'd been meaning to check out for some time. I loved it. While the collection itself was maybe occasionally uneven (hence the four stars rather than five), I've rarely read other books that so accurately nailed what I'm looking for in weird fiction. My favorite piece in this volume was without a doubt "Xapalpa," but it was full of great ones, and pretty much every story had at least some elemen ...more
Axolotl
I make no claim to being an expert on the state of modern horror, but I would hazard to guess that few writers working today are producing work as consistently brilliant and dynamic as that of Mark Samuels.
Though it has been proclaimed by others more knowledgeable in such matter than myself--I'm, after all, only a new initiate into the "Cult of Samuels"--or should I say The Sodality of the Black Sun?--but I must further proclaim to all who would be contaminated:

These stories are the stuff nigh
Steve
"As he struggled to recall which of the textbooks contained the reference, Barron caught sight of something the size of a large cat moving amidst the undergrowth of weeds between the two tombs. The thing was curiously shapeless, and a mottled grey colour. Perhaps it was just Barron's fever playing tricks, but he could have sworn the thing had been crawling with more than four limbs." --"Xapalpa."

I've been wanting to read more of this guy for some time now. For some reason his White Hands collec
Kristine Muslim
I have never read anything like this. This is superb! The Man Who Collected Machen and Other Weird Tales seethes with mysticism. Mark Samuels reminds me of Algernon Blackwood and not Arthur Machen. This has all of Blackwood's handiwork, most especially that fine touch of "implied" horror.

The story, "Glickman the Bibliophile," kept me on edge the whole way through and brought to mind a completely unrelated "The Clerks of Domesday," another excellent story by another writer. I think the true meas
Simon
Another fine collection from who is one of the leading lights of modern weird fiction.

Mark's style really works for me. His prose is clear and concise yet evocative. He writes very consciously of the genre and has a healthy respect for the greats authors that helped shape it. Having some experience of the classic authors yourself, while not essential, will help get the most out of some of these stories here.

Some of the stories centre around writers, such as "Losenef Express" that features a weir
Grady
The New King of Bizarre Fantasy

Mark Samuels is described in the dictionary as 'a London-based writer of horror and fantastic fiction in the tradition of Arthur Machen and H. P. Lovecraft. Born in 1967 in Clapham, South London, he was first published in 1988, and his short stories often focus on detailing a shadowy modern London in which the protagonists gradually discover a dark and terrifying reality behind the mundane urban world.' Unless the reader is familiar with horror and fantastic ficti
Haralambi Markov
I had no prior knowledge of Mark Samuels or his work. Picking his collection, The Man Who Collected Machen and Other Weird Tales, was the result of Samuels’ comparison to Howard P. Lovecraft, as promoted in his bio, and a very bizarre title. I admit to being frivolous in how I choose my reading materials, but so far, I have yet to see my intuition mislead me.

Mark Samuels proved to be the perfect introduction to the sort of weird horror I have been in search of these last few months. At the same
Jess M

I'm somewhat surprised to learn this small collection of short stories received such universal praise. While the stories are good, perhaps even above average, I feel the collection falls short of a four or five star rating. Perhaps it is the author's clear influences (Ligotti, Machen and Lovecraft) that reviewers are so inclined to praise. Namely . The influence of the aforementioned are so strong that some of the stories border on impersonation. An affliction this genre has long suffered from.
Andy
This collection came as a bit of a surprise to me, I'd never heard of Mark Samuels, but when I heard someone had written a book called "The Man Who Collected *Machen* and other *Weird* Tales" I knew I had to read it. That was a good call, this was one of the better collections of short stories I've read all year. I read this book far faster than I intended, these stories were so good I had to savor another one, and another!

These stories find influence in a variety of authors: Lovecraft, Machen,
Ronald
8. Nor Unto Death Utterly by Edmund Bertrand
9. A Contaminated Text
10. The Age of Decayed Futurity
11. The Tower

Just like his other short story collection _The White Hands and Other Weird Tales_, the stories in this book are briskly paced and written in excellent prose.

I think contagion is a metaphor in some of these stories. For example, in
Wes shelley
Some books have great stories, but the technical aspect of the writing is amateurish. Some books are written well technically, but the story is weak. This collection falls into the latter category. Read THE WHITE HANDS before this, that is a collection more noteworthy.
Mii
This book is a great read!
Steve
Reading The Man Who Collected Machen and Other Weird Tales solidified Mark Samuels as one of my top two or three favorite writers of weird fiction. Every story in this superlative collection is a gem, but my personal favorites, as of this writing, are "THYXXOLQU," "Xapalpa," and the title story "The Man Who Collected Machen." Mark Samuels and his work deserve to be much better known and more widely celebrated than they are, so here I am doing my part to turn you into The Man (or Woman) Who Colle ...more
John Hepple
An excellent, but short, collection of stories by cosmic horror writer; Mark Samuels. I have been interested in reading his works for quite some time and when finally getting down to it was not disappointed. I especially enjoyed his literature based stories, in particular THYXXOLQU.
Robert
When I saw the title of this book, I had to try it. I like Machen, and the author had me hooked from the first story. The stories are short but pack a punch. Samuels name is on my list of authors worth following. Tales of dark horror that give you chills, and make you think.
David Marshall
This is a totally absorbing book of weird and horror stories told with great intelligence.

David
Losenef Express - An American writer commits an impulse murder in a small town in eastern Europe. The character resembles Karl Edward Wagner.
Carma Spence
You can read my review of the book here: http://nyjournalofbooks.com/review/ma...
M. A. P.
M. A. P. marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
M
M marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Alex Sheldon Savva
Alex Sheldon Savva marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Zuzana
Zuzana marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Michael Adams
Michael Adams marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Occultation and Other Stories
  • The Wide, Carnivorous Sky and Other Monstrous Geographies
  • Noctuary
  • Painted Devils
  • Beneath the Surface (Revised & Expanded)
  • A Season in Carcosa
  • Black Wings: New Tales of Lovecraftian Horror
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Three
  • The Three Impostors and Other Stories
  • The Motion Demon
  • The Divinity Student
  • Alone With the Horrors: The Great Short Fiction, 1961-1991
Mark Samuels is a London-based writer of horror and fantastic fiction in the tradition of Arthur Machen and H. P. Lovecraft. Born in 1967 in Clapham, South London, he was first published in 1988, and his short stories often focus on detailing a shadowy modern London in which the protagonists gradually discover a dark and terrifying reality behind the mundane urban world. His works have been praise ...more
More about Mark Samuels...
The White Hands and Other Weird Tales Glyphotech (Showcase Series 4) Written In Darkness The Face of Twilight Black Altars