Start by marking “SCTV: Behind the Scenes” as Want to Read:
SCTV: Behind the Scenes

SCTV: Behind the Scenes

Over 15,000 sold! Relive some of the most hilarious moments in television with the SCTV troupe.
Published September 6th 1997 by McClelland & Stewart (first published October 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about SCTV, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about SCTV

Donald
Oct 15, 2007 Donald rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All Fans of SCTV
"SCTV" is one of my favorite t.v. shows of all time. Thus, I was drawn like a firefly to Dave Thomas's "SCTV: Behind The Scenes." Thomas was of the two main creative forces behind the show (along with Joe Flaherty), and I was enormously interested in the backstage stories his book would be sure to provide. Because Thomas pretty much avoided any of the tell-all gossip that usually permeates these types of books, I guess I ended up being a little disappointed. It was great to read about the ...more
Shawn
Aug 23, 2011 Shawn rated it it was amazing
SCTV was, probably, one of the most influential shows in my young life. Thus, I had to read this book when it came out and I think I will re-read it soon. If I remember correctly, this is a nice "warts and all" history, which is as it should be. I also remember that Thomas had quite a knack for summing up what was attractive about each of the performers comedic approaches (something about Catherine O'Hara and how each of her characters was, in retrospect, a really sharp take on women and their ...more
Mel
Nov 26, 2010 Mel rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-as-an-adult
I feel terrible giving this book two stars because I was a fan of the show. Perhaps my expectations were too high. A review on another website said "you definitely won't be disappointed" which is actually funnier than anything in the book because I was terribly disappointed. The stories didn't flow, some of the anecdotes made the people involved look bad - I just didn't like it. Sorry.
Robert
Aug 19, 2015 Robert rated it really liked it
One of the better "the story of..." books I've read. I'm sure there's more to the story, but Dave Thomas (one of the original SCTV cast members and writers) tells a good story from his perspective. A recommended read for any SCTV fans.
Roderick
Oct 11, 2012 Roderick rated it really liked it
Shelves: media
Okay, I've been watching all of the SCTV DVDs while I sit with my cat, Callie, at night. So I decided to read this at the same time. fun stuff, since I started watching that in 1977-78.
Paul
Jun 11, 2008 Paul rated it really liked it
The greatest comedy trouge of all time gets its due and D. Thomas gives a good insided view of what went on with this group.
Nov 03, 2007 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very interesting (and non-humorous) account of the history of the most fabulous show ever in the history of the world, SCTV.
Madeline
Apr 03, 2014 Madeline rated it it was amazing
I am personally a fan of SCTV and found this book very interesting.
Martin Bihl
Jul 25, 2008 Martin Bihl rated it liked it
Great backstory on the chaos backstage that fueled the genius onstage.
Reed
Sep 09, 2009 Reed rated it it was amazing
Behind the scenes of SCTV. A must for any fan of any cast member.
Joe Faust
Jun 29, 2011 Joe Faust rated it it was ok
Insider’s look at the show; could have been much better from that perspective.
Tavie
Tavie rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2007
Henryschauman
Henryschauman rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2012
Ridernyc
Ridernyc rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2015
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2012
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2011
Jan
Jan rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2008
Brett
Brett rated it really liked it
Devon
Devon rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2012
Nick
Nick rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2008
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2012
Art Levine
Art Levine rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Yourfiendmrjones
Yourfiendmrjones rated it it was amazing
Spenser
Spenser rated it it was ok
Mar 30, 2015
Hedy
Hedy rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2014
Hhlek
Hhlek rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2014
Focus On The Good
Focus On The Good rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2016
Patrick O'connell
Patrick O'connell rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Greg Dean
Greg Dean rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
David William Thomas (born May 20, 1949) is a Canadian comedian, actor and television writer. He is best known for portraying Doug McKenzie on SCTV as well as in the film Strange Brew, which he also directed.
More about Dave Thomas...