Start by marking “SCTV: Behind the Scenes” as Want to Read:
SCTV: Behind the Scenes

SCTV: Behind the Scenes

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  74 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Over 15,000 sold! Relive some of the most hilarious moments in television with the SCTV troupe.
Published September 6th 1997 by McClelland & Stewart (first published October 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about SCTV, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about SCTV

Donald
Oct 15, 2007 Donald rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All Fans of SCTV
"SCTV" is one of my favorite t.v. shows of all time. Thus, I was drawn like a firefly to Dave Thomas's "SCTV: Behind The Scenes." Thomas was of the two main creative forces behind the show (along with Joe Flaherty), and I was enormously interested in the backstage stories his book would be sure to provide. Because Thomas pretty much avoided any of the tell-all gossip that usually permeates these types of books, I guess I ended up being a little disappointed. It was great to read about the behind ...more
Shawn
Aug 23, 2011 Shawn rated it it was amazing
SCTV was, probably, one of the most influential shows in my young life. Thus, I had to read this book when it came out and I think I will re-read it soon. If I remember correctly, this is a nice "warts and all" history, which is as it should be. I also remember that Thomas had quite a knack for summing up what was attractive about each of the performers comedic approaches (something about Catherine O'Hara and how each of her characters was, in retrospect, a really sharp take on women and their p ...more
Mel
Nov 26, 2010 Mel rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-as-an-adult
I feel terrible giving this book two stars because I was a fan of the show. Perhaps my expectations were too high. A review on another website said "you definitely won't be disappointed" which is actually funnier than anything in the book because I was terribly disappointed. The stories didn't flow, some of the anecdotes made the people involved look bad - I just didn't like it. Sorry.
Robert
Aug 19, 2015 Robert rated it really liked it
One of the better "the story of..." books I've read. I'm sure there's more to the story, but Dave Thomas (one of the original SCTV cast members and writers) tells a good story from his perspective. A recommended read for any SCTV fans.
Roderick
Oct 11, 2012 Roderick rated it really liked it
Shelves: media
Okay, I've been watching all of the SCTV DVDs while I sit with my cat, Callie, at night. So I decided to read this at the same time. fun stuff, since I started watching that in 1977-78.
Paul
Jun 11, 2008 Paul rated it really liked it
The greatest comedy trouge of all time gets its due and D. Thomas gives a good insided view of what went on with this group.
Nov 03, 2007 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very interesting (and non-humorous) account of the history of the most fabulous show ever in the history of the world, SCTV.
Joe Faust
Jun 29, 2011 Joe Faust rated it it was ok
Insider’s look at the show; could have been much better from that perspective.
Martin
Jul 25, 2008 Martin rated it liked it
Great backstory on the chaos backstage that fueled the genius onstage.
Madeline
Apr 03, 2014 Madeline rated it it was amazing
I am personally a fan of SCTV and found this book very interesting.
Reed
Sep 09, 2009 Reed rated it it was amazing
Behind the scenes of SCTV. A must for any fan of any cast member.
Donald Forster
Donald Forster marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
John Alarie
John Alarie marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Patrick O'connell
Patrick O'connell rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Angelo
Angelo added it
Mar 05, 2016
Tim Miller
Tim Miller rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Art Levine
Art Levine rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Focus On The Good
Focus On The Good rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2016
Sheldon
Sheldon rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
Joyce Picker
Joyce Picker marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Mike Strathdee
Mike Strathdee rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2015
Russell Goff
Russell Goff rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Dustin
Dustin rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Librarian Note:
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name
This profile may contain books from multiple authors of this name
More about Dave Thomas...