Start by marking “Twilight's Dawn (The Black Jewels #9)” as Want to Read:
Twilight's Dawn (The Black Jewels #9)

Twilight's Dawn (The Black Jewels #9)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  5,326 ratings  ·  331 reviews
"New York Times" bestselling author Anne Bishop's Black Jewels novels have enthralled readers and critics alike. Now, in "Twilight's Dawn," Bishop returns to the Blood realm with four captivating novellas: "Winsol Gifts, Shades of Honor, Family," and "The High Lord's Daughter."
Published March 1st 2011 by Roc (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Twilight's Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twilight's Dawn

Crucio
ambyr
I grudgingly admit this was less bad than I expected. The second and third stories, in particular, managed to capture some of the charm of the original books. And yet.

Look--these are not by any stretch of the imagination good books. I cheerfully refer to them as my "magical cock rings and unicorns" novels. The original trilogy was an everything-and-the-kitchen-sink, write-straight-from-the-id kind of thing. And, at least for me, it worked. Watching Jaenelle grow up and build a family was compell
Katie(babs)
TheFountainPenDiva
**Contains spoilers and I didn't feel like checking the box**

I bought Twilight's Dawn yesterday and finished it this afternoon. I'm going to read it again because it's that good. Few writers these days can keep me spellbound like that to where getting a good night's sleep is totally unimportant. The world of the Black Jewels has come to mean as much to me as Pern, Valdemar and Middle Earth.

Twilight's Dawn is a collection of four stories chronicling the time after Tangled Webs and The Shadow Que
Maddy Barone
For those readers who were disappointed with the 4th novella, I like to remind you that this is not a romance novel where Happily-Ever-After is guaranteed. And if Janelle isn't unhappy with Sadi then why should we be? I liked all the stories and I hope that someday Ms Bishop will return to the Realms and tell more stories of the Blood.

That's not a review of the book, tho, is it? It's hard to do a review of these novellas without spoilers, so I'll just say that I loved seeing my favorite characte
Tabby
All the people who are shocked by the spoilers and say it came out of nowhere, really need to go re-read the books.

EDIT 3/3/11 : OMG I loved this book,it reminded me why I loved this series so much! I can't put into words how much I loved all 4 stories; they were all special in different ways, but I got to admit The High Lord's Daughter was by far my favorite!!!!

I know alot of people refuse to read this book because of that story. And you know what? I only have one thing to say to those people;
Bree
Reread in September 2011

I have no idea how to rate this book. Hrm.

Okay, a day later. Three of these stories I enjoyed. Shades of Honor I enjoyed a LOT. The fourth...the controversial one...was NOT the story I wanted to read. I read it anyway, for series closure. Or because I'm crazy. Or curious.

It was not the story I wanted to read...but not for the reasons I expected. I think a lot of the spoilers I'd read were unfair to the realism of it. It was an odd blend of stark, brutal unhappiness that
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Mar 05, 2011 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the Black Jewels Series
First, if this is your first Black Jewels novel or first Anne Bishop: STOP. Go back and read at the very least the original trilogy of Daughter of the Blood, Heir of the Shadows and Queen of the Darkness. This book really isn't a standalone. If you read it before the others, it will lose a lot of its impact, you may feel lost, and you will definitely encounter spoilers. I'd also definitely recommend as well that you read Tangled Webs and the novella "Kaeleer's Heart" from the Black Jewels anthol ...more
Joy
Spoilers exist in this review.

There are four short novellas in this novel, and I found them all to be excellent and well in keeping with the other tales from the Black Jewels world. The first story, "Winsol Gifts," is an absolutely delightful story of Jaenelle and Daemon's first winter holiday together, and I was actually laughing out loud at some of the parts. Next up is "Shades of Honor" which follows Lucivar as he deals with a situation in his realm that has been too long in the making. Third
Jo.
orannia
PlotBunnyAdvocate
Surprise, surprise, I loved another of the Anne Bishop stories set in this Black/Dark Jewels world. The only negatives I can think of to say is: I want more!!! and I wish it had a short of Saetan's early life, we have gotten hints throughout the series, and bits and pieces, but he's such an interesting character (to me he's only second to Surreal in my favorites). Actually, thinking on that, I'd have also liked a short on the early life of Tersa, a later story of Rainier, more on Cassidy, etc et ...more
Anita
This book had me awake half the night crying. I should have figured it out from the book flap, but I didn't believe it. It's the end of the Black Jewels series, one of my all time favorites. This installment is a collection of four short stories set at different times.

The first is a "Christmas" story showing everyone happy, living life to the fullest, making good memories together, growing together as a family and cherishing every moment. Heart warming and uplifting - a gift to readers, and one
Karen
Kara-karina
The last book in The Black Jewels series was to my surprise a collection of four stories. They weren't short and left me bittersweet and teary eyed.

Winsol Gifts acts as a warm up reacquainting us with Daemon, Jaenelle, Lucivar, Surreal and The High Lord as they noisily and happily celebrate Winsol together and apart. There is a bit of sadness in this story but mostly it's very positive.

Shades of Honor (is perhaps my favourite story) takes us back to Lucivar and Falonar's confrontation. And boy
Sonya
Sniff, sniff. I haven’t read any news about the Black Jewels series, so it may have been announced and I’m just not in the loop…’cause this sure felt like the end of the series to me. This book, or 4 short stories rather, felt like a really, really long epilogue for the series. I wish the last short story was a full novel. I always wanted “that” result, and I felt a bit cheated that the story was rushed.

“Winsol Gifts” seemed to ramble a bit to me, I wasn’t sure about the plot. “Shades of Honor”
black lamb
** Major spoilers within **

I have a lot of feelings about this series.

I am not a big reader of romance novels - I'm gay, so reading about women fawning all over men who are the exact opposite of what I'm attracted to is just not interesting to me. Nothing against romance as a genre, in fact I think it's super cool that a genre that is so specifically female is finally becoming really mainstream and there's a neverending stream of new books on the subject. Mostly by women authors. That's awesome.
Manda
M—
/review to come

I am astonished Dear Author labeled this a series killer. I read it as a love letter. et; nonstandard romantic tropes, childless romance, second-marriage romance.

Release Date: March 1, 2011
OH GOD IT'S PERFECT.

Anne Bishop does not pull her punches. Review to come shortly. Must sleep now.

ETA: November 2010
More excerpts! Damn it, is it March yet?

ETA: October 2010
An excerpt of the first story is now available as a downloadable PDF!

Original Revie
Kharm
Meh.

"Shades of Honor" annoyed me with its whole 'must make every villain super villainy even if it runs completely counter to their established character' stick. I mean really? Arrogant *does not equal* evil. It just equals arrogant. I had the same problem with Jared in "Shadow Queen/Shalador's Lady."

"Shades of Honor" and "High Lord's Daughter" also raise the question: Why do Queens need a full Court to rule a Territory, and Warlord Prices need only a second? Is it just me, or does it sound li
Rose
This book was incredibly disappointing. The stories felt rushed, and characters felt like they were behaving oddly for almost the entire book. I would have much rather had these short stories as full books, so as to give each character the ending they deserved. I feel like the author was just trying to wrap up loose ends and be done with everything. I feel cheated - for such an amazing series to finish with something like this is just a shame. The story about Daemon dealing with Jaenelle's passi ...more
Tom
Twilight's Dawn is a collection of 4 short stories. After reading the first story I thought, well I finally did it. I got my fill of the Black Jewels series. It wasn't bad but it was just MEH. I thought okay book lets steam to the end for a 4 star at least. The next 3 stories blew me away and the last 2 definitely had the fluid pooling in my eyes. I'm so glad I didn't look over any reviews because there seems to be controversy over it which would have been a major spoiler. Not knowing anything g ...more
Alice
My heart is too full for words.

This collection of 4 short stories was a bitterweet joy to read. I got to see into the future for a cast of characters whom I adore and it was what I didn't know I wanted. Anne Bishop knows how to find me where I live. Usually I'm chomping at the bit to read the next Black Jewels novel, but this has made me feel complete. For now anyway.
Doranna Durgin
Loved these stories--wonderful pieces of Bishop's vivid world that complete the whole.
Hwm
Simply awful. Killed my enjoyment of the whole series.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Why did I wait so very long to read this book? It is because I didn't want the dream to end. When Dream is made Flesh, the world is a fabulous and miraculous place. When the dream ends, what is there left? What is left except desolation and yearning for a something that is never going to come back? There are some series which go on forever and need to end. Then there are some series, one wishes never ends. This is one of the few series which I wished never ended and I've loved every book (except ...more
Ruman
I like skipped Winsol Gifts, Shades of Honor, and Family. Its not that I found it uninteresting, it's just that I really wanted to read about The High Lord's Daughter - and after reading that, I couldn't bear reading the first three stories because, frankly, I'm fairly disappointed with it.
Jaenelle dies. Daemon is left "alone" - family is the only comfort, but even then it's not much. Surreal loves Daemon - has loved him since she was a little girl. Daemon sleeps with random women for release.
Dorri
Twilight's Dawn is a collection of short stories set in the world of the Blood, first introduced in the Black Jewels Trilogy. It follows many of the characters that we have known and loved throughout Anne Bishop's Blood Jewels series.

The first story, "Winsol Gifts" is a sweet little story about the importance of family, once again centered on the SaDiablo family. For the gifts that Daemon and Lucivar give I would have loved this story! But the love and importance of family during the holiday is
Maaike
I just don’t know how to star this book. This will be a hard review for me. I love the Black Jewels-books. Anne Bishop is one of my top-5 favourite authors. I am utterly and completely addicted to her books and loved every one of them. Up until this point.

This book contains 4 novella’s and it has been wonderful find out what everybody has been doing. It’s like finding out what my friends are up to. The first two stories have Surreal and Rainier as a red thread throughout the stories. They take p
Yui
I feel guilty giving only 3 stars. I really liked this book. All the stories are well written and up to my expectations of The Black Jewels novels. All are simple in plots and eventhough some readers hated that the SaDiablo family is too strong that all outside threats aren't threats anymore or any enemies are defeated easily, As a fantasy story's conclusion-seeing the character's growth- I appreciate it very much.
It really deserves more than 3stars in my opinion but the last story left me bitte
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 25, 2015 08:40AM
  • A Marca de Kushiel (Kushiel, #2)
  • A Vingança do Assassino (A Saga do Assassino #4)
  • Queen of Song and Souls (Tairen Soul, #4)
  • Cast in Chaos (Chronicles of Elantra, #6)
  • The Cursed Towers (The Witches of Eileanan, #3)
  • A Senhora da Magia (As Brumas de Avalon, #1)
Anne Bishop lives in upstate New York where she enjoys gardening, music, and writing dark, romantic stories. She is the author of fourteen novels, including the award-winning Black Jewels Trilogy. Her most recent novel,Twilight’s Dawn, made the New York Times bestsellers list. She is currently working on a new series, which is an urban dark fantasy with a bit of a twist.

Crawford Award (2000)

Librar
More about Anne Bishop...

The Black Jewels (9 books)
  • Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels #1)
  • Heir to the Shadows (The Black Jewels, #2)
  • Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #3)
  • The Invisible Ring (The Black Jewels, #4)
  • Dreams Made Flesh (The Black Jewels, #5)
  • Tangled Webs (The Black Jewels, #6)
  • The Shadow Queen (The Black Jewels, #7)
  • Shalador's Lady (The Black Jewels, #8)
Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels #1) Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #3) Heir to the Shadows (The Black Jewels, #2) Written in Red (The Others, #1) Dreams Made Flesh (The Black Jewels, #5)