Start by marking “The Dimwit's Dictionary: 5,000 Overused Words and Phrases and Alternatives to Them” as Want to Read:

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  40 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
This compilation of overused words and phrases is the ultimate tool for the writer who seeks to weed out common, tired language and replace it with concise writing.
Published September 1st 2002 by Marion Street Press, Inc. (first published August 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Dimwit's Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dimwit's Dictionary

Mark
Aug 25, 2009 Mark rated it did not like it
Hey, I know, let's all become the pompous vocabulary police and take all the personality out of our writing! Tedious to read and filled with unimaginative alternatives to what the authors believe are overused phrases (but are pretty much every phrase you've ever heard - hackneyed or not), this book is helpful only if you want to write like this (taken from a passage where one of the authors defends his use of acerbic commentary in the book):

"This pedagogy may strike some as unworkable, and perha
Wendy Jones
May 18, 2014 Wendy Jones rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book and I wanted to give it a detailed review. I have done this on my blog so take a look and find out why I rate it so highly
Pia Veleno
May 21, 2011 Pia Veleno rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nowadays, this kind of thing would end up as an ongoing blog rant, or a mildly amusing Twitter account. I picked it up for reference, to help avoid cliche phrasing in my writing, but this wasn't helpful in that regard and I hesitate to leave it on my writing-reference bookshelf.

May be useful as entertainment, or for someone looking to write a farce of tired metaphors and eye roll inducing similes.
Ron Cooper
Jul 17, 2013 Ron Cooper rated it it was amazing
As a writer, I try to avoid time-worn phrases and trite words and it's much easier now that I have Fiske's book in my reference library. Learn to identify "wretched redundancies" and "moribund metaphors" and much more as Fiske's addresses how we butcher the English language and how we can correct our misguided course. Hats off to you, sir!
Cary Neeper
Aug 04, 2013 Cary Neeper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good reminder of which phrases have been overused, with some good, some questionable, suggestions for alternates. I was surprised to find few missing. A few were so specific the could still be useful.
Vlain Rovante
Vlain Rovante marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Tapiwa
Tapiwa marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Skylar E. Stroud
Skylar E. Stroud rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Kumar
Kumar marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Umab8587
Umab8587 marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Jeffrey Hammerhead
Jeffrey Hammerhead rated it really liked it
May 11, 2015
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Joan Koster
Joan Koster rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Zondershelby Arts
Zondershelby Arts rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Nopain Nogain
Nopain Nogain marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Amber23conlommail.Com
Amber23conlommail.Com marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Fern
Fern rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Geoffrey Jones
Geoffrey Jones marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
سامي ال سامي
سامي ال سامي marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
David
David is currently reading it
Dec 06, 2014
Cogito_ergo_sum
Cogito_ergo_sum marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014