The Making of a Royal Romance: William, Kate, and Harry--A Look Behind the Palace Walls

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  43 reviews
William and Harry was an overnight sensation when it was published a week before Prince William and Kate Middleton's engagement announcement in November 2010. Now the author, a royal insider and the royal correspondent for the Daily Mail, has updated and added crucial material that completes the story of the fairytale romance. In addition to providing fascinating insight i...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published March 25th 2011 by Tantor Media (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Making of a Royal Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Making of a Royal Romance

David Fulmer
This is a biography of Prince William and Prince Harry revised to include details about Catherine Middleton and her relationship with Prince William. It’s packed with all sorts of details about their youth, school days and time in the military including, but also going beyond, the familiar stories of their excesses which have appeared in tabloids. Author Katie Nicholl is the Royal Correspondent for a British newspaper who, after covering him for more than ten years, has found William to be a ‘se...more
Angie
Yes..... I'm fueling my obsession.
Susan Mann
I found this book very irritating as the title gave the impression this was soley about William and Kate, but although very interesting most of the book was based on Harry and William and their history to the present it touched on their father's romance , it spent a long time describing Harry's love life and William's past assignations.

The book gave the background to William's mistrust of the media and highlighted the very loyal relaitionship between the brothers. the wild side of both princes w...more
Kathleen Hagen
The Making of a Royal Romance: William, Kate, Harry, a Look Behind the Palace Walls, by Katie Micholl, narrated by Justine Eyre, produced by Tantor Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

This is the story of the Princes William and Harry with the backstory of their parents thrown in. It details the relationship of William and Kate, nine years together before he popped the question. The author reveals that in 2005, Prince William promised Kate that she was “the one” and that when he finished military...more
Ellen Cohen
his book tells the story about Prince William and his brother Prince Harry from birth until Williams engagement to Kate Middleton in November 2010.

While the book does detail the early lives of Princes William and Harry (including Harry's secret deployment to Afghanistan) the majority of the book details the relationship between Prince William and Kate Middleton.

The book goes into details about the various stages of their relationship-in college their post college break (after which Prince Philli...more
Karla
A quick read, but a better title would be "Chronological history of the house of Windsor, 1980-2010." It kind of read like a list of events rather than a biography with primary sources and careful analysis. Quick, some what interesting and basic.
Pinky
Had to go back over William and Harry after starting The Making of a Royal Romance by Katie Nicholl, realizing they were essentially the same book, just revised and expanded (new photographs? I guess there were two new chapters, but I really didn't notice). A clear, even-handed portrait of what it is like for young royals trying to live a normal life. I really like both William and Harry Wales and their girlfriends Kate and Chelsea. V. amusing descriptions of the Glossy Posse's nightclub antics...more
Avery Watkins
I LOVED listening to this book. I didn't know quite this much about the British monarchy - it was very educational. It's not just about Will & Kate, it starts with Charles & Diana and progresses chronologically. It gives lots of information about Harry & William, then picks Kate up about the middle of the book. It's just so interesting learning about the things the princes do, are expected to do, their relationships with friends and family, their personalities, and interests. It's a...more
Katherine
Although this book indicates it is about William and Kate in reality it is a book about William and Harry that has had some extra stuff about Kate added into it.

It is a good read but some of the information is a little bit difficult to believe.

I thought Kate came out looking like a woman who was desperate for a prince as a husband and therefore rather shallow. While the media certainly portrayed that image of her prior to her engagement the fact that she got a good degree at University must mea...more
Tanya
Downloaded this book to my iPod while on vacation. It was interesting to hear about how the boys grew up - much more about that than just the romance of Kate Middleton & Prince William. I wouldn't have picked it up had I not had a lot of free time and it was a quick and enjoyable listen. I don't know if fans of the Royals would enjoy it or already know all of this information, so not sure who I'd be recommending the book to. Obviously if you don't care a whit about the royal family, this boo...more
Megan
Very well written and an enjoyable book. Sometimes Ms. Nicholl inserts something from the past into the telling of the history, which makes it feel disjointed at times. However, it was nice to read more information about William and Harry. Ms. Nicholl touches on their girlfriends briefly. So, if you want to know a lot about Kate you won't find much here as this book mainly focuses on the princes. I hadn't read that much about William and Harry, so it was interesting to get a glimpse as what they...more
Kath
Interesting but very gossipy with some repetition. It was very hard to listen to Princess Diana's sorrows again but I adore her so much I got through it.
Sarah Mclaughlin
I thought this was an interesting book. I started getting interested in Will and Kate and the royal family when the engagement was announced. I knew the prince's were Princess Diana's sons but I never followed their lives. The book is pretty accurate from what I knew over the years about the royal family. I enjoyed reading about their lives and I learned information about them I never knew before. Some of it can be hard to understand with all the royal titles and army slogans but the overall sto...more
Meghan Ragghianti
Very interesting. I couldn't put it down and I typically don't like biographies. It gives you an in depth inside view of the personal lives of the British Royal Family.

Interesting book but some of the facts are incorrect.

Towards the end of the book, it says William and Kate were getting married in April 2010 ... they were not even engaged until October or November 2010. It also says Diana died in 2007. She actually died in 1997.
Gail
I finished this book last night - April 30 - and very good timing on my part to learn a lot more than I already knew about the new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and what they went through to get where they are today!
Katie Nicholl truly knows about William, Catherine and Harry - and tells all in this book. And since I am simply a person who "needs to know", I really enjoyed reading this and that is why I gave it 5 stars!
AmblingBooks
The premier biographer of the British royal family presents the updated inside story of the romance that has made headlines the world over-just in time for the royal wedding.

Listen to The Making of a Royal Romance on your smartphone, notebook or desktop computer.
Nancy
Liked the first book and was looking forward to reading this one, only to find out that it is the same book with new material added to include Kate's story. Very disappointing. I was glad that I got this one from the library. Index was helpful to find the new information, otherwise I am not sure I would have bothered.
Lesa Parnham
A a hopelessly pathetic Royal watcher everyone I know gives me every book, magazine and news clipping about the royals. In a rush to be the first William and Kate book this is an older book about William and Harry with a chunk about Kate thrown in. Is it true? Who knows? The Queen is not amused. lol
Tracy R.
Was a nice detailed summary of the Prince's lives up untill the engament of William and Kate. There is nothing on the actual wedding. Made me look at Diana in a more concerned way. She wasn't the little angel that she is made out to be. Made me feel sorry for Charles, though he is no angel himself.
Sadie Klar
If you want a detailed description and insight into the lives of Will, Kate, and Harry, this is a great book for you. It painted a realistic picture of the Royal Family without seeming "assuming" or fanciful. It was well-researched and very interesting. Like a non-fiction novel, almost. I recommend it!
I am not going to lie. I'm excited for the royal wedding. My family moved to England and I started school in Cambridge shortly after Diana and Charles were married. This wedding brings back all those memories! And - about the book - it's mostly like reading a 340-page issue of People magazine.
Erin Butler
Excellent reading following "Diana: Her True Story." This book was written prior to the wedding, in anticipation of book sales, I'm sure, but included pictures of the engagement, not the wedding. This was a fun summer read, especially in light of the North American visit of William and Kate.
Pat
I didn't have anything to listen to in my car so I grabbed this. Not too bad. Interesting to hear about the lives of Harry and William from their birth through their school years and up to William and Kate's engagement. I'm not much of a celebrity follower, but it was ok.
Desiree De wit
Easy reading about a family that you can't help but be fascinated with. I felt like i really got to know William and HArry - truly charming nice boys trying to live normal meaningful lives! Will and Kate will be a great King and Queen...
Maria
I've never trusted Katie Nicholl. I've learned that I would never trust people who are in the royal circle. They will never tell the truth. It's either bad or good, that's it. Look what happened to Richard Kay.
Kathy
I enjoyed this book. I'm not one to read biographies and this wasn't one. My favorite part was when Harry gave Grandma a cell phoneforChristmas, he set the voicemail message. Funny as hell what he rexorded.
Christina Dudley
Ends with the engagement. Fun, absorbing fluff. No idea what the fuss is about, wanting to get rid of the monarchy. They're great for tourism and give us something to think about besides what's for dinner.
Nikki
This book was easy to read & I enjoyed the photos, but pretty much all the stories were in magazines before. I guess I was probably reading People every week at the time so not much was new.
Nora
It wasn't exactly high art, but it was an enjoyable, thorough and mostly non-fluffly look at not only Kate and William, but Harry, Diana and the rest of the British royal family.
ConnieC
Mar 18, 2014 ConnieC marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Katie Nicholl is such a nice person in real life on television interviews. I can imagine why the royals let her into their lives. Would love to see how her books read.
  • William & Catherine: A Royal Wedding
  • Grace
  • I'm Here To Win: A World Champion's Advice for Peak Performance
  • El Juramento/the Oath
  • Mrs. Kennedy: The Missing History of the Kennedy Years
  • The Eyes of Willie McGee: A Tragedy of Race, Sex, and Secrets in the Jim Crow South
  • Our Man in Tehran: The True Story Behind the Secret Mission to Save Six Americans during the Iran Hostage Crisis & the Foreign Ambassador Who Worked w/the CIA to Bring Them Home
  • Teller of Tales: The Life of Arthur Conan Doyle
  • Grand Tour: Letters and Photographs from the British Empire Expedition 1922
William and Harry: Behind the Palace Walls Kate: The Future Queen The Making of a Royal Romance