Start by marking “Classics to Read Aloud to Your Children: Selections from Shakespeare, Twain, Dickens, O.Henry, London, Longfellow, Irving Aesop, Homer, Cervantes, Hawthorne, and More” as Want to Read:
Classics to Read Aloud to Your Children: Selections from Shakespeare, Twain, Dickens, O.Henry, London, Longfellow, Irving  Aesop, Homer, Cervantes, Hawthorne, and More

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  92 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
A perennially popular collection of short stories, poems, legends, and myths from great works of literature that are especially appropriate for parents to read aloud to their children aged five to twelve. Line drawings.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published January 5th 2011 by Harmony (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Classics to Read Aloud to Your Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Classics to Read Aloud to Your Children

Rebecca
Oct 21, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I can't decide if it was after the humorous reading of O. Henry's The Ransom of Red Chief when my ten-year-old went and retold it to three other friends and his grandparents, then asked to have it for his own quiet reading... or when I cutoff half-way through Romeo and Juliet and my seven-year-old daughter begged me not to stop. Somewhere during this time, I decided that this book is an excellent introduction to the classics.

They loved Sherlock Holmes, Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer and even Rip Van W
Emi Bevacqua
Apr 13, 2016 Emi Bevacqua rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everything you need to get your 5-yr old hooked on classic literature!
Jen
Dec 30, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Throughout our lives we hear many analogies and idioms that refer to classic literature. It is so interesting to read the stories behind the constant references that are such a part of our culture! In addition, my daughter loves these well-written stories and the vocabulary help at the beginning of each story. There are poems and well as stories that are short enough to keep your kids awake, but long enough to make an impact and tell a great story! We try to read this book and its companion "Mor ...more
Melissa
Mar 22, 2010 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I ordered this one based on amazon reviews and am not disappointed. I have only read a couple of the stories so far but think it will be a great way (I'm hoping) to get my kids interested in reading something besides the newest popular book. Maybe I need that a little myself as well :)

Excellent collection of stories/excerpts. Stories are sorted by reading age and each selection is prefaced by a general statement about the story, reading time required, and vocabulary.
Kate
Apr 14, 2009 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We just read the first section of this book to our older boys. The next sections are for even older children. It was fun to share some classic stories with our kids and explain some "old-fashioned" words, like "whitewashing a fence." Each story is short and can be easily read in one sitting.
Trace
Sep 22, 2013 Trace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-booklist
This was interlibrary loan, and so I didn't have a chance to read very many of the selections to my son before I had to return it... but I rather liked it and wished that my library had a copy of it...
Julianne
Oct 08, 2009 Julianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My girls and I have had a great time reading this book together. I'm definitely going to look for this one at our used book store. A great reference to have on the shelf.
Melissa
I enjoyed reading the stories to my kids and the kids enjoyed most of them. There wre a few that they didn't like very much but I expected that when I picked up the book.
Angela
Oct 01, 2014 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was so glad to be able to give my son a taste of some wonderful classics. A great read aloud for children. He lived a Christmas carol and sleepy hollow especially. :)
Jennifer Hughes
A book of classic stories that children should know. And it's nice to have them in a format you can read them out loud when your kids are young and enjoy that.
Alisha G
We're also reading Classic Myths to Read Aloud to Your Children.
Sava Hecht
Nov 20, 2011 Sava Hecht marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I can't wait to get Ellie started on the classics...
Elizabeth
Oct 30, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mom read this to me.
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Matt V.
Matt V. marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Catie
Catie marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Hannah Stihel
Hannah Stihel marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
glen boyette
glen boyette rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Clay
Clay marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Chris Rogers
Chris Rogers rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Tzivi
Tzivi added it
Mar 30, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
M D
M D rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2016
Logan
Logan marked it as to-read
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
September
September marked it as to-read
  • Hey! Listen to This: Stories to Read Aloud
  • Raising Bookworms: Getting Kids Reading for Pleasure and Empowerment
  • Books That Build Character: A Guide to Teaching Your Child Moral Values Through Stories
  • 20,000 Quips & Quotes
  • Zinnia's Flower Garden
  • Don't Lick the Dog: Making Friends with Dogs
  • Freddy and the Bean Home News
  • Born with a Bang: The Universe Tells Our Cosmic Story
  • Once Upon an Ordinary School Day
  • Guiding the Gifted Child: A Practical Source for Parents and Teachers
  • What's Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew?
  • The Mother-Daughter Book Club Rev Ed.: How Ten Busy Mothers and Daughters Came Together to Talk, Laugh, and Learn Through Their Love of Reading
  • American Tall Tales
  • The Return of the Light: Twelve Tales from Around the World for the Winter Solstice
  • What to Read When: The Books and Stories to Read with Your Child--and All the Best Times to Read Them
  • Eloise Wilkin Stories