Start by marking “Empire Of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #7)” as Want to Read:
Empire Of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #7)

Empire Of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase #7)

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  2,938 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews
A RUMOR OF RICHES. A MAZE OF MURDER. AND THE WORLD’S MOST DANGEROUS, SOUGHT-AFTER PRIZE.

Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase possess extraordinary pieces of an ancient puzzle that leads them from Singapore to the jungles of South America. Inside a storm of political and drug warfare, Nina is getting close to one of history’s greatest secrets: the mythical golden city of El Dorado. A
Published September 27th 2011 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Empire Of Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empire Of Gold

Jeninne
I didn’t dislike this book. I think that’s important to say right off the bat. In fact, I still generally really like this entire series. The problem, however, is that for the first time, I’m starting to see the same things cycle through thematically and plot wise, and it’s starting to get a little tiresome. This series is starting to skirt that really dangerous line that longer series often fall prey too, and I’m really hoping the next veers away sharply.

See, for as often as I’m going on about
Tasha
Apr 04, 2016 Tasha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, contemporary
Soooo, this was a very long and slow read. I skimmed a lot of it and *SPOILERS* I'm sick of the same stuff. heavey military. Eddie and Nina fighting, death of the beloved friend. I think how this one ended the next one will be interesting, especially as Eddie's in the run alone, but I won't be jumping at it any time soon.
Dec 19, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
I think I'm leaning closer to 3.5 Stars, than 4 for this one. Another enjoyable read in the series, although the further I get into it the more I like Eddie, and dislike Nina - her choices quite frankly have started to make me want to throw the book at her. McDermott provides an intriguing look into Eddie's past, and Macy makes a return (yay!). Overall the book did feel strangely paced - the actual archaeological discovery seemed to take up such a small part of the book (compared to others in th ...more
Jane Plumridge
I've only read a few of Andy McDermott books, but this felt very much like a rerun of a previous novel, just in a different location. Some of the military moves that Eddie pulls off really stretches the imagination to the limit. I know it's fiction but even so!
Hard going in places, mainly because it's covering similar ground. Interesting ending however, so will read the next one to see where that takes us....
Jamiekinz
Personally not my favorite in the series so far, but it was still fun to read.
Elly Wendy
2* Ths is tough to write. Thrillers dealing with archaeology are often among my favourites, so I had high hopes for this. And throughout, there were enough teasers and questions thrown out to keep me going and I did listen to the end. But there were many times when I very nearly gave up, and it was all for the same reasons: a smash to the side of the head, blood spurting; his fingers slipped and he smashed his way down the cliff, blood spurting; one vehicle smashing another one, occupants gettin ...more
Arch
Oct 07, 2016 Arch rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Usual run of the mill adventure.... Thriller... With a supreman involved.... Good entertainment ... If u dont hv anything to read
Sarina Madan
This book was pretty disappointing, but I think I would have enjoyed it much more if I hadn't started with the 7th book in the series. I didn't care at all about the characters (probably wouldn't have cared about them if I had started with the first book, as they were exceedingly smug) and the story dealt mostly with fighting terrorists rather than exploring archaeological sites, the former being way less interesting in my opinion. This was a cliche bad action movie in literary form.
Theresa
Oct 31, 2014 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We get something a bit different. Instead of starting off with an innocent group of people getting wiped out by the bad guys, this goes back and shows us a Special Forces incident from Eddie’s past. A very enlightening look.

The majority of this story takes place in the jungles of Venezuela, Columbia and Peru as they fight off mercenaries, revolutionaries and drug dealers in search of El Dorado.

Eddie is being childish again. He needs a big spanking (and I don’t mean the good kind). You’d think
Robin Carter
May 07, 2012 Robin Carter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Description (from back of book)

" Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase are back for their seventh blockbusting adventure by the bestselling author of THE HUNT FOR ATLANTIS, Andy McDermott. When archaeologist Nina Wilde and her husband, ex-SAS soldier Eddie Chase, are given the chance to work on an Interpol investigation into smuggled artifacts, they are stunned to realise that the artifacts hold clues to the location of a lost Inca settlement hidden somewhere in South America. As Nina and Eddie dig de
Kevin Kazokas
Jun 25, 2014 Kevin Kazokas rated it really liked it
I'm angry with Andy McDermott, and no this is not a bad review. He simply ruined my summer.

Oh, he wrote a quality book in "Empire of Gold." The adventure captured me from first page to last. The problem is, the story goes beyond the last page -- way beyond. Into a whole other book. Those hoping to read "Empire" as a standalone -- it is summer after all and there are concerts, sporting events and vegging on the porch with your favorite beverage -- prepare for disappointment. Consider this a preca
Gopal (The Minion)
Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase are back again in Book#7 by Andy McDermott. This time it is Venezuela & Peru which is their in their cross sites. The mysterious statues introduced in The Cult Of Osiris and The Sacred Vault is brought to the fore again.

There is a 3rd statue and a mysterious organization called Group wants them all. But they need Nina Wilde's help to put together all the statues. Wilde and Chase are put on it's trail by Ankit Jindal the interpol head of cultural investigations wh
Mike
Mar 09, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andy McDermott continues his series of the adventures of Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase with what is possibly the most emotional book yet in the series. I wasn't expecting for this book to have a moment at the end where the characters had a fight that felt real, but it sure enough does. It's a big spoiler to say why it happens, or what the aftermath is, but it leaves a very big cliff hanger for the next book, even more so than the other at least two cliff hangers that had already been created.

I am s
Paula
May 03, 2016 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I thought partway through this that it was actually one of the better ones in the series and I was right. There was very slightly less mindless bickering between Eddie and Nina (I was nearly ready to throw in the towel and I definitely called Nina some names within the first few chapters), but fortunately the two weren't together too often during this episode.

I did cry. I never expected I would with one of these, but I get a bit that way when a character gets crapped on too much. (Lik
Graeme Stokes
Finished the latest book in the Eddie Chase and Nina Wilde series. Promised so much and yet felt the book was overly long with fillers. I have read all Andy's books and have loved them all so very much. Maybe for the next novel Eddie's father could get together with Nina, after all they would have so much in common (neither listen). I would have thought after all their adventures and years together that Nina would have understood Eddie and his actions. The ending was some what, how can I put it ...more
Willa
May 15, 2013 Willa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deep in the jungles of South America, an incredible treasure has been hidden for centuries. Archaeologist Nina Wilde possesses the key to finding it - but in her way stand revolutionaries and drug lords, fighting for control over the riches of a lost empire!

Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase are back for their seventh blockbusting adventure by the New York Times bestselling author of THE HUNT FOR ATLANTIS. Their goal this time is the legendary last outpost of the Inca Empire - which could point the way
Mark Easter

A RUMOR OF RICHES. A MAZE OF MURDER. AND THE WORLD'S MOST DANGEROUS, SOUGHT-AFTER PRIZE.

Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase possess extraordinary pieces of an ancient puzzle that leads them from Singapore to the jungles of South America. Inside a storm of political and drug warfare, Nina is getting close to one of history's greatest secrets: the mythical golden city of El Dorado. As one discovery unveils another, Nina realizes that a legendary Incan leader made a deal with his Spanish captors--and hid fo

Jess
Oct 05, 2014 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
This was one of the better ones of the series. I enjoyed the differing events in this book and the tensions that will be explored in the next book. I especially enjoyed the last parts of the book and the convergence from the usual formula of the previous novels; actual twists - nice touch. I'm starting to find that the constant 'action action action' is getting quite redundant though. The purpose of action in a book is to drive events forward. When a book - such as this one - is basically all ac ...more
Henri Moreaux
Whilst this was better than Hunt for Atlantis, it was still disappointing. It's half a book really.

You start off with the story set up to be about some fancy statues, the whole book is about tracing the missing statue in the set and then on the last page, the story isn't resolved and you're left with essentially a forward sell for the next book.

In my mind a good series allows you to read a single book and enjoy it, yet read them all and benefit from a continuing set of plots & sub plots wat
Wendy
Nov 28, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like to think of Andy McDermott as Clive Cussler but with more action, mayhem, and swearing. This time, Nina and Eddie are looking for El Dorado. They're also looking for a 3rd purple stone statue similar to ones found in previous books. They meet old friends and enemies. They get embroiled in the middle of a military coup in Venezuela. Drug kingpins and Maoist rebels are also in the mix. Whew! They sure get around.
Annoyingly, the book ends in a sort of cliffhanger. I understand authors want
Timothy Vogel
Jan 07, 2012 Timothy Vogel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oops! I read this between Graham Brown books (Black Rain/Sun), and got my mind all fuzzed with different Mayan Doomsday prophecies. Did the same thing a few years ago by reading 3 different Atlantean myth stories in too small a timeline.

Anyway ... sure, sure ... the story is great. But if you have been enjoying the main characters in these (8 so far?) books, this one is a fantastic read. I looooove where this book leaves off.

My reviews for McDermott's Chase/Wilde books are going to pretty much t
Andy Plonka
A blockbuster thriller for sure. nonstop action in which one must accept the premise that the main protagonist is just one short step away from being superman. The number of difficult situations that he gets himself in and manages to escape with only minor (I assume they are minor since he;s up and running off to his next encounter quite quickly) injuries is amazing. The story is Eddie Chase and his archeologist wife are hot on the trail of discovering the location of El Dorado, the city of gold ...more
Mattias
I have read all the books about Ninas and Eddies adventures throughout the world. I have enjoyed them all, some more and some less. Empire of gold is an enjoyable read with all the usual action, adventure and banter. Why change a winning formula? But the book could have used some editing (I am looking at you armoured car sequence in the middle) and the story isnt up to its usual standard. But the ending is very good and almost makes up for the books shortcomings. As usual if you didnt like McDer ...more
Andrew Anthony
Having not read any of Wilde/Chase books for a year or so, I was looking forward to it filling my plane flight home with something new. Typical book of the series however, with, for me at least, not enough time spent in the ancient ruins/temples exploring and the like. Still worth a read, and with it left as it has been in the final chapter, I will most likely read the next in the series. Not however, before I read Exploration Fawcett.. Oh how I am looking forward to that. When it finally arrive ...more
Larry Johnson
Apr 26, 2012 Larry Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
McDermott must have spent a lot of time at the movies as his books cry out to be made into feature films. The action is non-stop with characters and plots that seem to mix Indiana Jones with John McClane. In this novel, Nina and her husband find themselves looking for "El Dorado" and along the way are caught up in an attempt to overthrow a South American government. The ending is a complete surprise and will have the reader, like me, anxiously waiting for the next novel this summer.
Shelly
Oct 18, 2015 Shelly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This rating is based solely on the fact that I gave up reading it early on. I've not read any of the previous installments in the series, picking this one up for a quarter.

By the time I got through the opening set years before the events of the actual story, I felt bogged down enough to set the book aside. I tried reading further but just couldn't. I hope that at some point I'll be able to pick the book back up and finish it and then amend this rating.
Tommy
Mar 30, 2013 Tommy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a typical read from this author. Lots of action w/ Eddie & Nina getting into and out of many difficult situations while trying to find the "Loat City of Gold - El Dorado". Every jam that the 2 got into and out of had many hard-to-believe escapes but, of course this is fiction. If you like exciting action this is the book for you. It also does not end w/ the "bad guy" getting caught so, the author can continue the story in his next book.
Phyllis
Oct 16, 2011 Phyllis rated it it was amazing
Oh My Gosh! A two parter and I have to wait till next year to find out what happens. This book was great. Couldn't put it down. I was alittle put off that Nina was having hard time believing Eddie's side of the story but that is what makes this book great. It was a non-stop adventure from the beginning and was very emotional towards the end. I have read every one of theses books and I have to say this was one of the best. Can't wait for the next.
Sharon Plankers
Jul 28, 2015 Sharon Plankers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The basic plot winds its way through all of these books as Eddie risks life and limb to save his wife who has a special genetic code that people are all ways trying to capture. Each is different and in some ways the same. You sort of always want to know what happens next or did Eddie and Nina make it out of their hopeless situation.
Brenda
Oct 16, 2011 Brenda rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
This is my least favorite book of the series so far. In my opinion, El Dorado was found too quickly and there was too much time spent on the attempted coup. I realize that is was part of the journey to El Dorado but I prefer to have more archeology/history. I would have also liked to know more about the statues but I guess that will have to wait until the next one.
  • The Lost Labyrinth (Daniel Knox, #3)
  • The Death Relic (Payne & Jones, #7)
  • The Mask Of Troy (Jack Howard, #5)
  • Rogue Wave
  • Threshold (Chess Team Adventure, #3)
  • The Lost Relic (Ben Hope #6)
  • The Temple Mount Code (Thomas Lourds, #3)
  • Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)
  • Primeval (Event Group Thriller #5)
  • Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)
  • The Blood King Conspiracy (Matt Drake, #2)
  • The Geneva Deception (Tom Kirk, #4)
  • The Book of Secrets
Andy McDermott was born in Halifax, West Yorkshire, and now lives in Bournemouth. As a journalist and magazine editor, amongst other titles he edited DVD Review and the iconoclastic film publication Hotdog. Andy is now a full-time writer.
More about Andy McDermott...

Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)
  • The Tomb of Hercules (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #2)
  • The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)
  • The Covenant Of Genesis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #4)
  • The Cult Of Osiris (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #5)
  • The Sacred Vault (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #6)
  • Temple Of The Gods (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #8)
  • The Valhalla Prophecy (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase #9)
  • Kingdom of Darkness (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #10)
  • The Revelation Code (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #11)

“You saying I’m getting old?” Eddie asked, grinning. “It happens to us all, in the end. If we’re lucky.” 1 likes