Start by marking “The Complete Soapmaker: Tips, Techniques & Recipes for Luxurious Handmade Soaps” as Want to Read:
The Complete Soapmaker: Tips, Techniques & Recipes for Luxurious Handmade Soaps

The Complete Soapmaker: Tips, Techniques & Recipes for Luxurious Handmade Soaps

“Provides detailed instructions and recipes for basic lye soaps made with animal or vegetable fats, and for hand-milled and specialty soaps using almond meal, chamomile, glycerin, and milk....Shampoo and liquid are covered as well.”—Library Journal. “You’ll also learn a little something about the history and origins of soap and soap making, fragrance, herbs and natural dye ...more
Published June 30th 1997 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Soapmaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Soapmaker

SJ Waters
Aug 02, 2014 SJ Waters rated it liked it
Oh, this book has pretty, pretty pictures and fantastic soapmaking ideas, such as lettuce soap! Who woulda thought!? That being said, this book is NOT an introductory book for the curious who want to learn how to make soap. No, this book is more about re-batching/hand-milling cold-process soap, which requires a bit more experience: Sodium Hydroxide (lye) will turn many (not all, but many) flowers and certain additives BLACK and ugly, which is why rebatching/handmilling your own soap can be such ...more
Diana Thomsen
Nov 06, 2016 Diana Thomsen rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I found this to be slightly more advanced than some of the other books I read on the topic, but the list of benefits to each recipe was a wonderful addition. The science is accurate and the recipes are really quite nice, in a simple, farmhouse way. It even explains how to render your own tallow, a gross but very useful skill. The handmilling recipes were lovely and varied, although that isn't something I'm interested in at this time.
Alistair Young
Apr 14, 2010 Alistair Young rated it really liked it
So, seeing as we're now getting into the soap business, I'm doing some reading on my own account to become as familiar with our new division's operational side as Amy is. (And, yes, I am familiar with the principles of saponification, thankyousoverymuch, but there is, as always, a hefty gap between theory and practice.) Thus, among my non-fiction book-logging for the next while, you can comfortably expect to find quite a few soapmaking books.

And this is the first. Well, I quite liked it (althoug
Melynna
Nov 06, 2010 Melynna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, 2010
I really loved this book. It was clear, concise, and had lots of beautiful pictures. The one biggest drawback is that it only offers one base recipe that doesn't include tallow, but that's not a really big deal to me, since I can get recipes from all over the place or make some up with a good online calculator. This has been my favorite soap book so far.
Lindsay
Dec 14, 2012 Lindsay rated it it was ok
Shelves: diy-creations
Two words: beef tallow. No thank you.

I got some good ideas, but reading this book mostly made me want to try other books or experiment with internet recipes. So far, so good.
Jillian
Dec 23, 2010 Jillian rated it really liked it
Seems like a great book, but I didn't try any of the techniques. I'm thinking that making soap is too much work.
Woodall
Jul 25, 2012 Woodall rated it really liked it
Awesome techniques and recipes. Very thorough instructions and photos to show. Can't wait to try it with some of my garden herbs!
Heather
Sep 09, 2007 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft
this is the other of the two most useful soap-making books i've ever used.
Tess
Tess rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2013
Carla
Carla rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2014
SP
SP rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2016
Mindi
Mindi rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2008
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Mermaid
Mermaid rated it really liked it
May 07, 2010
Steph
Steph rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2014
Matthew Noesen
Matthew Noesen rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2015
Joy
Aug 12, 2016 Joy rated it really liked it
Very nice soap book - good illustrations. Good picture instructions.
Trent Rudy
Trent Rudy rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Jaime
Jaime rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2010
Karen Churchill
Karen Churchill rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2010
Sarah rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2010
Maggie
Maggie rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2014
Neila Carlyle
Neila Carlyle rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2013
1da
1da rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2008
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2010
Carole Chastaing
Carole Chastaing rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2011
Heidi Rossi
Heidi Rossi rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2015
Jennifer Lowenthal
Jennifer Lowenthal rated it did not like it
Mar 01, 2014