Start by marking “The Medici Giraffe and Other Tales of Exotic Animals and Power” as Want to Read:
The Medici Giraffe and Other Tales of Exotic Animals and Power

The Medici Giraffe and Other Tales of Exotic Animals and Power

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  154 ratings  ·  29 reviews
A fascinating exploration, spanning two thousand years, ofthe central role exotic animals have played in war, diplomacy, and thepomp of rulers and luminaries.
Published August 21st 2006 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about The Medici Giraffe and Other Tales of Exotic Animals and Power

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellAnimal Farm by George OrwellWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Best Books About Animals
384th out of 897 books — 1,305 voters
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca SklootThinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel KahnemanMusicophilia by Oliver SacksA Primate's Memoir by Robert M. SapolskyBrain Bugs by Dean Buonomano
Radiolab Bookshelf
51st out of 95 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

Since the beginning of time, exotic animals have been used as powerful diplomatic tools, representing the wealth and prestige of their masters. Political gifts of animals such as the strong and intelligent elephant, have long been instrumental in brokering peace and aligning nations as allies. In The Medici Giraffe, Maria Belozerskaya takes us on a fascinating journey through the past, focusing on the exotic animals that have been used throughout history as weapons of war, and the symbols of pro ...more
Becky B
This book is as much a collection of obscure history as stories about animals. Ms Belozerskaya highlights eight different powerful people of history, tells their histories and how exotic animals played an important role in further establishing their authority or demonstrating it. As such, each chapter is a broader history on the life of each person to give the full setting of how exotic animals played this role.

I generally have to force myself to read non-fiction, but I found this a highly reada
Max Renn
If Marina Belozerskaya occasionally wanders astray from her announced intention, it is easy to forgive. For this book moves along so effortlessly and pleasurably anecdotal, one doesnt really mind that we never really explore too deeply the relationships of exotic animals to power. Indeed what really is there to say on the subject after stating the obvious.

Instead, keep your hands inside the tram at all times as we embark on a tour through the marvelous, lovely and occasionally savage (on the par
"The Medici Giraffe" is a visual and sensual journey back in time. I was captivated by the author's vivid, colorful, even wistful, descriptions throughout the book. I found it intriguing to see how the collection of rare animals, flora and fauna have symbolized power and prestige since the days of antiquity to present times. This book gave me great insight into rarely discussed or taught aspects of important historical events and what it was like in royal courts from Montezuma to King Rudolf II ...more
"The Medici Giraffe" is a history book with a focus on the animals surrounding certain events in history. I liked it but I didn't read it entirely. I was looking for information for research and other people were waiting for the book at the library. Nevertheless, I read enough of it to satisfy myself that it was well written with an interesting perspective. I was happy with the book. If I pick it up again I'll say more.
Very disappointing, because it’s not at all what I expected or what it seems to bill itself as. I was expecting more about animals and how they’ve been used to cement or prop up people in power. Instead, this is a collection of somewhat interesting stories about people in power, who just happen to have some kind of connection to animals, in most cases, very peripheral. For instance, Hearst and his menagerie--what did that have to do with his position? Nothing, really, as far as I could tell from ...more
Margaret Sankey
Vivid vignettes of exotic animals (and people) used as status symbols by their collectors, including Pompey losing the support of the Roman crowd by killing elephants at the games, Lorenzo the Magnificent leveraging an Egyptian giraffe into noble status, Cortez showing off an entourage of Aztec animals and prisoners in Spain, Rudolph II and his menagerie (when he wasn't trying to make a golem or breed albinos), the political ramifications of Empress Josephine sponsoring a naturalist's exploratio ...more
Adrienne Kiser
Interesting, thorough, and quite engaging!
Susan Reed
good, too much history sometimes
A very interesting look at the lives (and, unfortunately, deaths) of particular animals on certain powerful figures in history. Each chapter focuses on a particular person (the chapters on Josephine Bonaparte and Rudolph II were personal favorties) and how they used animals to create a better situation for themselves--either personally or politically--through the wonder of nature. There are many surprising historical factoids and, about midway through, some good discussion on the field of natura ...more
This was a really interesting (and historically educational) read. Looking at specific people throughout history, right up to current (via the epilogue) from the perspective of how animals helped them further their political power or give them the appearance of being more powerful.

The author does a good job of providing the whole context for her story snapshots, so that if you are not already knowledgeable about that time, you learn and can fully understand the events taking place.
Using seven biographical portraits of prominent figures throughout history, this book portrays our timeless awe of exotic creatures. The title is a little off, as more time is spent describing the lives of those who sought and collected exotic creatures than their animals. Nonetheless, its delightful descriptions of everything from ancient Alexandria to William Randolph Hearst's castle on the Pacific coast made this book a joy to read.
I liked the idea of this book, but I found the history too detailed. Was fascinated when she talked about the role the animals actually played, but the rest of it read too much like a history book.
This book is an interesting overview of the roles of animals in history. If you have any interest in animals or history, this would be a good book to look into- the stories themselves are interesting and not too bogged down with facts, but they include just enough information to feel like you've learned something after reading it.
Monika Ingram
I am enjoying the impact animals have had on the conquest and development of the world.

I finished it! This was one that I picked up and read a few pages at a time, and really enjoyed it. I had heard a thing or two about certain incidents described in the book, but I there was so much in here that I didn't know.
Oct 01, 2011 J. marked it as tried-to-read
I really enjoyed the first third of this book. But as it went on, it just got more and more boring. Maybe I enjoy ancient history more than modern, but I think the writing itself just got too involved and sort of stalled out. I finally gave up without finishing the last chapter.
The Medici Giraffe and Other Tales of Exotic Animals and Power by Marina Belozerskaya (Little, Brown & Co. 2006)(636.0). The author provides historical glimpses of the uses of animals for power, pomp, and as weapons of war. My rating: 7/10, finished 2009.
Closer to 3 stars than 2 anyway. The tone wasn't particularly objective, but no egregious errors (at least where I had the knowledge to fact-check). Cheerful and accessible portraits of different times/places where animals were used as status symbols.
Jul 25, 2011 Ryan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: nature
hodge podge of personalities from various periods in history who acquired menageries of exotic beasts for variety of reasons. interesting but lacks coherent theme, more often about social history/autobiographical with passing accounts of actual beasts/animals
Nick Black
Jul 18, 2009 Nick Black marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-acquire
whoa this looks awesome! (via from Currently, all my pets are stuffed whales, but I'd one day like a big ol' tortoise or a komodo dragon or something.
I love this book. I'm not done with it yet. I've been reading it for about six months now, and it's my special treat book. Each story is so well researched, and alive. Really a wonderful history.
Adriana Johnston
Good book, although the most interesting parts are at the beginning. The texts on the rise of Alexandria, the Roman Circus and the Medici Giraffe are the best in my opinion.
This is History, not fantasy or fairy tales. But SUPER briliant. Told in almost a story-like way, but with more facts, and less specifics, especially on ancient history.
The first two chapters were good...then it just got boring. The basic gist was "people are horrible to each other and animals. Life sucks".
I thought I would like this book more than I did. It was worth reading, but did not keep me glued to my chair.
fascinating stories, esp if you like history.
Jul 29, 2008 Rachel marked it as to-read
May be a good one for Dad...
May 18, 2008 Marianne marked it as to-read
RA to Non-fic
Feb 10, 2008 Foreign added it
Shelves: us-littlebrown
US: Asya Muchnick
  • The Complete Costume History / Vollstandige Kostumgeschichte / Le Costume Historique
  • The Rise and Fall of Alexandria: Birthplace of the Modern Mind
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • The Mammoth Book of Pirates: Over 25 True Tales of Devilry and Daring by the Most Infamous Pirates of All Time
  • Women of the Raj
  • Pope Joan: Translated & Adapted from the Greek
  • Zarafa: A Giraffe's True Story, from Deep in Africa to the Heart of Paris
  • Tomb of Tutankhamen
  • The Sicilian/Omerta
  • Fifty Animals That Changed the Course of History
  • Aztec & Maya: The Complete Illustrated History
  • The Rhino with Glue-On Shoes: And Other Surprising True Stories of Zoo Vets and their Patients
  • 'Isms & 'Ologies: All the Movements, Ideologies and Doctrines That Have Shaped Our World
  • Tutankhamun: The Untold Story
  • Raptor
  • The Shakespeare Miscellany
  • Encyclopedia of Bad Taste
  • Apocalypse 2012: A Novel
To Wake the Dead: A Renaissance Merchant and the Birth of Archaeology Medusa's Gaze: The Extraordinary Journey of the Tazza Farnese Ancient Greece: Art, Architecture and History Rethinking the Renaissance: Burgundian Arts Across Europe The Arts of Tuscany: From the Etruscans to Ferragamo