Downsizing Your Home with Style

Downsizing Your Home with Style

2.91 of 5 stars 2.91  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  20 reviews
When you're moving a lifetime's accumulation of belongings from a larger home into a jewel box, the task can seem overwhelming—and so can your emotions. How do you decide what to pack and what to part with? How can you use the things you have so that they function well and look right?

Downsizing Your Home with Style answers these questions and more. Learn how to:

Create more...more
Published October 5th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published November 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Downsizing Your Home with Style, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Downsizing Your Home with Style

Rose
I'll admit this particular book wasn't what I expected from a home arrangement book. It has some good tips and it's specifically oriented towards people who are moving to smaller homes and want to arrange their furniture and living space in a such a state. It's not a bad read, but I'll admit I was expecting more on the level of arrangement ideas, organizational tips, more image samples that would show (rather than tell) of what measure to include in each of the various rooms of the home, and mor...more
Janie
I picked up some good tips. None of what she said was novel or revolutionary, but that's fine; I was looking for practical advice. My brain isn't in a practical place, and I'm a pretty thick mover.

Her business buzzphrase is "Use What You Have", yet every section includes a number of new things you can buy. Her average client clearly has the wherewithal to hire her to help them downsize elegantly -- already I'm set apart from her target audience. Maybe I'll look for a book called "Goodwill: how t...more
Carolyn
Oct 12, 2008 Carolyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Carolyn by: I saw it on the Express read (7 day) shelf at the OPL
This is a great book for anybody whether you're in the downsizing process or not. I learned that front halls should be brightly lit so as to be welcoming. That very day we had just lowered the fixture (when we found extra lamp cord inside), cleaned the globe and inserted a larger spiral bulb. What a difference these small changes made!

Also, the author said that a seating area around a fireplace e.g. should have all chairs within easy reach of the coffee table for ease in snacking and conversatio...more
Bonnie
picked up some good tips, but, even though she said her focus was on doing everything inexpensively, i still thought some of her suggestions were pretty costly. for example, she suggests that instead of refinishing a table you "simply" buy a marble table top to lay over it. if give or take $500 is inexpensive, then i'm oscar the grouch living in a garbage can.
Denele
Despite suggestions to not renovate rooms with trendy styles, the images used feel very dated. Also, the target audience is more for people purchasing their new place with a budget to renovate... not for a frugal renter like myself.
Mrs.soule
Most of this book focusses on creating a "comfortable conversation area" which involves placing your living room furniture in a U-pattern with a coffee table in the middle. Tadah! Now you know! There are a few good ideas which save this from a one star rating such as utilizing space under tables with baskets and adding wheels to the bottom of functional and aesthetic trunks for storage that can easily be moved when neccesary. The two major topics I was looking for were totally absent though - ch...more
Katherine
The best thing I took away from this book was these lines from the intro:
"Downsizing is as much about making an emotional commitment to change as it is about figuring out where to put your furniture. It's about living more simply and calmly, making that choice in advance and living it in the future. It's about leading a richer life by having less."

Although I was looking for more emphasis on the "downsizing" (there's more on this in the final chapter) with less on the "style," I would recommend t...more
Jennie
This book offers a few items to think about that hadn't crossed my mind. Balance, considering pets, and white washing are all ways to work with what you have. Although useful I found this book fell flat. Pictures of mostly modern furniture and really none of rooms with major transformations lack in the visual display of what the book suggests. Worth a flip through but look elsewhere for application of suggestions.
Evan
My friends Tamara and Adam, among others, tend to follow the rule of "less is more" when it comes to their homes--something I struggle with. However, living in a 900 square foot house almost demands that I do it. This book has some very practical tips for downsizing--what to keep and why, culling your accumulated furniture, etc.--and is illustrated with tons of photos that show what rooms in a small house should look like.
Susan
I should have read this before I moved. Now that I'm inthe downsized place mostof this information is too late. I did pick up a couple of tips but I like to look at pictures of otherpeoples beautifull organized tiny spaces and this was a little short on visuals. I highly recommend it, however, to anybody who's contemplating a move to smaller digs and wondering how to handle all their stuff in the transition.
Carol
The book offers good tips and ideas to downsize your home. Generally, I like more structured books with clearly-defined plans of action. Once piece of advice (from this book) that stuck with me and that I try to adhere to is to only keep in your home books that you loved and plan to re-read in the future, give away the rest.
Jennifer Gelert
This book had a few good ideas to downsize. I did not like the emphasis on modern and new. And the assumption that all who downsize have money to rebuilt, remake, etc. I will use some of the ideas on getting rid of stuff I don't use. But my decorating style is shabby chic/romantic
Lizette
Some really good pointers: Dress a room the way you'd dress yourself. Find storage where there is none, etc., etc. I wish the pictures were nicer. Good quick read full of good advice.
Not really what I expected. This book focused more on furniture to keep/throw and how to arrange furniture better. Basically geared towards people with big budgets.
Candy
A good resource if you are planning to downsize. I liked that she mentioned how your pets might need to be acclimated to the new living space.
Lauri
Jun 21, 2008 Lauri marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I ran out of time and had to return this to the library. Some good tips on decorating though.
Nancy
Pretty paltry and obvious advice, but it got me thinking a little more clearly . . .
Jewell
Nothing new but good to skim through if you are interested in downsizing.
Gail
A few good ideas. I flipped through it in a matter of hours.
Trish
This book was okay. I wish there was more pictures though.
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Teneik
Teneik is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2014
Ricardo
Ricardo marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Use What You Have Decorating Home Therapy: Fast, Easy, Affordable Makeovers Trade Secrets From Use What You Have (R) Decorating Trade Secrets from Use What You Have Decorating Trade Secrets from Use What Yo