Start by marking “Quantum Coin (Coin, #2)” as Want to Read:
Quantum Coin (Coin, #2)

Quantum Coin (Coin #2)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Ephraim thought his universe-hopping days were over. He's done wishing for magic solutions to his problems; his quantum coin has been powerless for almost a year, and he's settled into a normal life with his girlfriend, Jena. But then an old friend crashes their senior prom: Jena's identical twin from a parallel world, Zoe.

Zoe's timing couldn't be worse. It turns out that
Hardcover, 1st edition, 340 pages
Published October 23rd 2012 by Pyr (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Quantum Coin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quantum Coin

Pivot Point by Kasie WestUnraveling by Elizabeth NorrisVanished from Dust by Shea NorwoodParallel by Lauren   MillerUnbreakable by Elizabeth Norris
YA Books with Parallel Universes
12th out of 53 books — 32 voters
The Clay Lion by Amalie JahnThe Last Timekeepers and the Arch of Atlantis by Sharon LedwithKnot in Time by Alan  TuckerLightmasters by M.G. WellsTime's Twisted Arrow by Rysa Walker
YA + MG Time Travel
41st out of 160 books — 139 voters

More lists with this book...

Tom
If you're having girl troubles I feel bad for you son... you got 99 parallel universes and a girlfriend in every one.

Quantum Coin is the follow up to Fair Coin, which was a fun YA romp about a geeky kid named Ephraim Scott who discovers a quarter in his locker that lets him jump into parallel universes. And in some of them, Jena Kim, the girl of his dreams, actually likes him.

The sci-fi twist is that in a more futuristic version of their world, Jena, Ephraim and his best friend Nathan are reali
Rebecca
This triumphant follow-up to Fair Coin has the advantage of having a clear genre from the get-go. While the previous book suddenly revealed a hidden premise, this one can skip some of that world-building and head straight to the good stuff. It makes for a more even read overall.

The logistics involved get pretty complex, as might be expected from a book featuring alternate universes. I suspect I might be able to poke some holes if I tried--but there's never any point at which I wished to try. Exc
geekgirl
Apr 03, 2012 geekgirl marked it as to-read
Shelves: cover-watch
*taps foot impatiently*
Amanda
Read the full review at www.appraisingpages.com

This sequel takes the story to the next level quite literally. Ephraim thinks his experiences in the multiverse are over now that he’s back in his home universe and the controller dismantled (or so he thinks) but a new adventure is just beginning. It can be so hard for sequels to live up to their originals but Myers keeps his original idea of the fascinating multiverse and created a new adventure for them.

I love the complex and layered story Myers c
Donna Thomas
I bought this for my 13 year old son after he read Fair Coin(at Dracon*Con the author signed it for him) after devouring that book he then begged me to get this one. He ate these books up like candy, he tells me about it in an excited run on sentence but I get the fact that he LOVES these books...read each one very quickly and can tell you every detail...he said give it 5 stars !
the golden witch.
4.5/5 stars.

I really hope this isn't the last book in this series, guys. "Quantum Coin" goes to even more crazy places (and finds crazier people) compared to book one, and yet at the same time, I was pretty satisfied with the ending we're given here. Hands down, the "Coin" universe is a pretty great one and one of my favorites of the year so far. If you like your YA full of action and wonderful surprises, be sure to check out the second book in the "Coin" series, "Quantum Coin".

In this second bo
Joanne G.
This is the sequel to Fair Coin, and it picks up about a year after the other novel resolves. I give much credit to the author for making the first book a complete novel--I'm weary of the current affliction of writing a novel, tearing it in half, and publishing it in two volumes, pretending they are both stand-alone offerings.

Myers did an excellent job of making relatable characters. His protagonist, especially, was someone the reader wanted to succeed. The science in the sequel got murky and e
Alex Templeton
Three and a half stars, really. Also, full disclosure: the author is a friend of mine, so I may not be as objective as I might be with other books. Having read and very much enjoyed "Fair Coin", I was eager to read its sequel. I enjoyed "Quantum Coin", but it didn't have the same magic for me as its predecessor. First of all, I felt that the story didn't really get going until about halfway through, at which point it took off with a zoom and became as non-put-downable as "Fair Coin". Second of a ...more
Neile
I didn't think I could like this sequel more the Fair Coin--that book just got more and more fascinating as Ephraim discovered more about the situation he was in--but I definitely did. Here the complications are right out there from the start, and I really enjoyed watching the characters try various ways of fixing things, forcing themselves to keep moving forwards despite some painful failures. I especially enjoyed seeing the characters struggle with moral issues. I appreciated that, like Fair C ...more
Heather
I was so excited to see that the sequel to "Fair Coin" came out... but then I read it. "Fair Coin" was fast paced and really kept me involved. I don't really know what happened to "Quantum Coin." I didn't like a single character in it. I didn't particularly like the plot. Given that, I did find the writing to be solid and it was action packed. Although I wasn't fond of the sequel, it won't keep me from reading further works by this author.
JJ
I received a copy of Quantum Coin through First Reads and I finished it today and let me say it was great! I really like how Myers expanded all the characters introduced in the first novel. The plot took some turns I didn't expect and we learned more about the multiverse, which is always enjoyable. Overal I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good story !
Harith Johari
Actual Rating: 4.5

After having read Fair Coin and completely falling in love with it, you could say that I started this book with exceedingly high expectation. And for the most part, it managed to achieve just that! But if I had to choose one book out of the two, it would most definitely be Fair Coin. Not to say that this book was bad, far from it! I just personally felt like something was missing from this book that the first one had, but I'm not exactly sure what it was.

Don't get me wrong, th
Kelly Szpara
I made the mistake of starting this book right before beginning a personal project, so ignore that it took me so long to read. I just re-started it a few days ago and flew through it. It's smart, approachable, and funny. There were a few times I had to re-read the science, because I'm not an avid sci-fi reader, but that's all that ever gave me pause. There was a lot more science in Quantum Coin than in Fair Coin, but I was into it.

One of Meyers' biggest strengths is giving each analog a unique c
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Originally posted on A Reader of Fictions.

Obviously, you should be cautious reading this review unless you've already read Fair Coin. I will keep things as spoiler-free as possible for book one, but that's pretty tricky. First and last paragraph will be spoiler-free totally. Now, if you've read my review for Fair Coin, you know that I quite liked it, but did have some reservations. Happily, Quantum Coin proves that the second book in a series can be stronger than its predecessor. If you were on
Angie
My mind is officially boggled and blown. But mostly boggled. Quantum Coin was an awesome sequel and conclusion! Of course there had to be some lingering side effects to Ephraim using that coin so much! I wasn't sure what this one could possibly be about since Fair Coin seemed to wrap up quite nicely, but there's plenty of new and exciting stuff happening to Ephraim and his friends as they try to set the multiverse right. He was hoping to be done with jumping from universe to universe, but then Z ...more
Amanda Makepeace
Quantum Coin is the sequel to Fair Coin, and if you follow me on Goodreads you already know I gave the first book 5 Stars. While I enjoyed its sequel a lot, I hesitated when it came time to give it a rating. The story is once again superb, the characters loveable and hate-able (which is always important), but there were a few spots in the book where it felt as if time slowed down. Maybe it did! The multiverse was falling apart…

More important than those hiccups, was the feeling I had at the end o
Cathy Ryan
So, Quantum Coin picks up the story a year later. Ephraim, Jena, Nathan, Mary and Shelley are attending their prom when something peculiar happens. As Jena returns from the powder room Ephraim has a huge shock when he realises it's not Jena but Zoe. Jena appears behind her with Mary and Shelley. As the friends wonder what is happening Nathan is being Nathan and recording the events on his camera...and he captures something truly bizarre.

Ephraim thought he had finished with shifting through para
Amber
Fantastic and realistic YA fiction. This picks up about a year after Fair Coin ended when Ephraim believes his life has settled down and gotten boring. Boy was he wrong!

The narrative is fast paced, witty, and full of pop culture references. It's also dense, due to a fairly high level discussion of quantum physics and theories of alternate timelines, etc. It reminded me a bit of Sliders or Doctor Who; the science portion of the science fiction is brilliantly tied into the main storyline.

If you ar
Sunil
Aug 03, 2013 Sunil rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own, 2013
Fair Coin felt like a complete story, but Quantum Coin proves that, in reality, it was only the setup for the REAL story. This follow-up novel fully embraces the sci-fi premise of the first book, forgoing the "wishing coin" story and delving into hard science fiction. The fate of the multiverse is at stake, and E.C. Myers tackles parallel universes, analogs and the identity issues thereof, time travel, quantum mechanics, and other concepts, not to mention the sort of love polygons you don't see ...more
Trina
I have to say that I enjoyed the first book more. Across both books however, I really enjoyed the characters. Dealing with multiple universes, there are multiple incarnations of each character and it was fun to see all of the various personalities of one person. If you thought the first book had too many Nathans, this book is definitely a Jena overload. At some points the dialogue could be confusing because of all the different analogs of the same person involved.

The plot of this book is that th
Dawn Vanniman
I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Ephraim thought he was completely done universe hopping and he's settled in at home, dating Jena Kim and having a great time with his bestie. But then at the Prom things begin to go wrong. Jena leaves for the restroom and when she returns she's wearing different clothes and grabs him for a kiss. But who's that behind her? One Jena...one Zoe.

Apparently the multiverse is unraveling and Zoe has kept in contact with Nathaniel a
Fantasy Literature
Quantum Coin is E.C. Myers’s second book, following the adventures of Ephraim Scott and his friends as they hop from universe to universe by means of a magical coin, er, I mean, a coheron drive disguised as a quarter. In this outing, the very multiverse is collapsing and universes are merging, with unpredictable results. It appears that only Ephraim, Jena Kim, Zoe (an “analog” of Jena from a dystopian universe) and Nathan can stop it — but is that even the right thing to do?

In Quantum Coin, the
Liz
An enjoyable second half of the duology. Finding out what's actually going on and tying up the loose ends from the previous book was a lot of fun, even if the book did suffer a little from the raising of the stakes, which did complicate everything and not always for the better.
Glad I ran across Myers in Kaleidoscope and checked out this series.
Jeff Raymond
I really enjoyed Fair Coin , which was a stealthy sci-fi book that introduced a lot of great sci-fi concepts in a fun and different way. Quantum Coin continues on that, but with a lot of crazy multiple universe theories and fringe science.

The book bogs itself down in a lot of science that probably isn't really relevant or necessary for a sci-fi audience, but makes up for it in being very readable. With the establishment of all the prior universes, it just allows the characters to exist in this c
Michele
I won this on Goodreads. This is a sequel to Fair Coin which I did not read. Even without reading the first book, I was able to follow the story line and plot without too much difficulty. The story does refer to events in the first book but you can understand what is happening without having read it. I plan to read the first book as well to see if there is additional backstory. I'm sure my boys will enjoy this book a lot. The story follows teenagers who travel to alternate universes which places ...more
Kris
A decent sequel. I was a little skeptical going into it, thinking it would likely have some weak reason for the story continuing, as it was fairly resolved after Fair Coin. But that wasn't really an issue in my opinion. There were a few interesting twists, one to get things started and more along the way. And nothing that seemed to really violate the first book, just expand on it. And it came to a nice resolution. I would imagine the series would be over here, then again I would have said that a ...more
Karen
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Jennavier
Quantum Coin took a good 100 pages or so to build up steam. Following up a fairly well wrapped up story makes it hard for a sequel to find it's own ground. Quantum Coin manages that and more with a really unique sci-fi premise and some mind bending twists. Myers moves away from the first books weakness which was in it's characters but still gets caught in that trap in the end. All in all a good book but not as gripping as it could be.
Mike Steele
Great!!

considering how forced follow ups and trilogys seem these days, it was not only great to see a follow up to the wonderful Fair Coin, but one that felt like it earned the story it told rather than being written just to write it. I loved both coin books and can't recommend them enough.
Mihai Barbat
This book is bad, just like the previous volume. There is nothing that stands out in this story. It's a cheap mumbo jumbo of multiverse science that's feels like is written by a 12 year old for an 8 year old.

With the first opportunity I will gladly sell both of them to the second hand english book store in my city. At least like this I can recuperate my bad investment.
  • Reaper (Lightbringer, #2)
  • Apollo's Outcasts
  • Power Under Pressure (The Society of Steam, #3)
  • London Eye (Toxic City, #1)
  • Cuttlefish (Cuttlefish, #1)
  • The Doctor and the Rough Rider (Weird West Tales, #3)
  • The Skybound Sea (Aeons' Gate, #3)
  • The Crossing (Blood of the Lamb, #1)
  • False Covenant (Widdershins Adventures, #2)
  • The Book of the Night (Libyrinth, #3)
  • The Last Universe
  • Be My Enemy (Everness, #2)
  • Lance of Earth and Sky (The Chaos Knight, #2)
  • Broken Universe (Universe, #2)
  • Tune: Still Life (Tune, #2)
  • Secondhand World
  • Everything Asian: A Novel
  • Girl Under Glass
E.C. Myers was assembled in the U.S. from Korean and German parts and raised in Yonkers, NY by his mother and the public library. He is a graduate of the Clarion West Writers Workshop and a member of the prolific NYC writing group Altered Fluid. In the rare moments when he isn't writing, he blogs about Star Trek at The Viewscreen, reads constantly, plays video games, watches films and television, ...more
More about E.C. Myers...
Fair Coin (Coin, #1) The Silence of Six SOS: A Prequel to The Silence of Six Kaleidoscope: Diverse YA Science Fiction and Fantasy Stories Loving the Undead, An Anthology of Romance...sort of

“We're deciding the fate of the multiverse with a flip of a coin. Heads or tails, doc. If that isn't a game, I don't know what is.” 2 likes
“Imagine: If shifting from one universe to another is like moving up or down to parallel layers, overlapping with one universe, then going to another timeline is like taking a jump to the left.'
'Or a step to the right,' Jena said wryly.”
1 likes