Start by marking “El círculo de fuego” as Want to Read:
El círculo de fuego

El círculo de fuego

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  8,953 Ratings  ·  709 Reviews
Cuando Kate le dice a su compañero de instituto Jarrod Thornton que tiene poderes mágicos como ella, Jarrod piensa que está tan loca como su abuela, la «bruja» Jillian.

Sin embargo, muy pronto se descubre que Jarrod tiene mucho más que ver con la magia de lo que a él le gustaría. Su familia está marcada por un terrible hechizo y, para acabar con él, los dos amigos deben via
Published November 13th 2001 by Salamandra

To ask other readers questions about El círculo de fuego, please sign up.

Megan This book came out WAYYYY before Beautiful Creatures and it's also far far better. They go back in time at one point to change a curse put on Jarrod's…moreThis book came out WAYYYY before Beautiful Creatures and it's also far far better. They go back in time at one point to change a curse put on Jarrod's family. I'd definitely recommend this much more than Beautiful Creatures for sure. (less)

Sara ♥
I REALLY like this book. It's really a coming of age story for both the hero and the heroine, but especially for Jarrod, who has a LOT of growing to do. The magic is really interesting and the big bad guy is REALLY scary! My only complaint: There wasn't NEARLY enough kissing. ;) I wish there had been one more scene at the end......
Marianne Curley
May 17, 2014 Marianne Curley rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Old Magic was my first published book and has remained a favourite with readers in countries around the world, having translations in fourteen international languages. It is a young adult paranormal fantasy with romance, adventure and time-travel with one of the original strong female leads for this genre.
Mars
Bought my copy for less than a dollar. I started reading it at least three times, but I couldn't get past the first chapter each time. Finally, on a Friday night when our ISP sucked big time and I had no internet to distract me from reading, I went through the pile of to-read books beside my bed.

The story eventually picked up, and I finished it in this sitting! The description at the back of the book didn't hint anything about what happened in the second half, so:

And I happened to be a sucker fo
Rebecca
Jun 08, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'I recall the look in Rhauk's eyes the moment he spotted Kate. It will stay with me forever, carved into my brain like an engraving on a headstone. It's as if he found something he treasured, something he's been looking for all his life.'

(view spoiler)
Saniya
Apr 13, 2011 Saniya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Oh my gosh. This is one the best book I have ever read!!! Smiley Or maybe I am getting super extra excited because I am reading these freaking awesome books after 1 month bcuz to exams!!! Smiley This book was totally awesome and I just can't believe how can anybody give this book a very low rating and freaking weird books high. And this was the first time ever that I liked the witch craft stuffs in a book. I don't know but I just don't like witchy stuffs in other books. I rather prefer vampires and shape-sh ...more
AMythicalBeast
Mar 01, 2013 AMythicalBeast rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: high school romance readers, YA witchcraft readers, YA time travel readers
Recommended to AMythicalBeast by: amazon
2.5 stars is what I really want to give it.
When I first read an excerpt of the first chapter at Amazon.com, I thought- fantastic! A high school story, yes, but one where this bumbling boy, unaware of how much power he has, comes into contact with a girl who realises just how dangerous he could be- and he refuses to believe her!
It seemed like a plot that could only get funnier and more complicated as the chapters turned. Right?
When I finally chased the book down- it was because of this book th
Adi (Reading in the Windowseat)
Loved it! Couldn't put it down.

This is a story I adored from beginning to end. For once the girl was the brave one, and the guy was the one who wouldn't take peer pressure or any risks for what he believes is good.

The mythology and time-orientation were great. This is a book about magic, but also about history. There were great references to the Middle Age culture and English history, all mixed up with witchcraft and present-day teen issues.

I loved Kate's character - brave, confident, self-suffi
Marissa
Jul 08, 2008 Marissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book too. Magic and young romance mixed together. What could be better? Kate is a witch and so is her grandmother. When Jared is new to town and her school she realizes he has magic and power beyond hers and that he doesnt even know it! She finds out he has an ancient curse that has been put on his family and every 7th born in his ancestry. They go back into time to kill the sorcerer who created it and... die trying? It's up to you to find out.
Jess
Dec 03, 2011 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-books-ever
Angigames
Esotico e avventuroso, questo libro è una piacevole ventata calda nel panorama fantasy.
La storia è semplice ma molto ben congeniata.
Kate è una strega, lo sa da quando è piccola, vive in una cittadina in mezzo alla foresta, a contatto con la natura e le sue energie. Kate ha un dono magico e ne va fiera, anche se non è socialmente una delle studentesse più quotate, anzi, è un’emarginata. Ma questa per lei non è una macchia da far scolorire in tutti modi, il suo status le permette di non attirare
P.Q. Glisson
Apr 07, 2011 P.Q. Glisson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My daughter has had this book in our family library since a book fair came to her school when she was in middle school. It's been waiting patiently for about ten years now. She pulled it off the shelf and read it first. Then she hounded me to read it so I finally gave in. Did I ever tell you that she has never steered me wrong? Well, this was no exception. It started out like every other teenage angst novel. The unusual girl and the boy she is drawn to. But, what got me was it turned out to be a ...more
Marsha
Jan 10, 2010 Marsha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Old Magic has an interesting storyline. Two high school students Jarrod and Kate meet and experience an interesting fascination for one another only to discover both of them have secrets and those secrets are putting one of their families lives in jeopardy. The chapters of the book flip-flop from being told from Jarrod's perspective and then Kate's. I for one usually like this approach as well as enjoy reading first person narratives. However, the writing of this book was lethargic, choppy and b ...more
Miranda ❤️
What a great read! I cannot believe I hadn't found this book sooner, it was written in the early 2000's! I really liked the progression of Jarrod's character, in the beginning I wasn't too crazy about him. I don't want to give too much away but... If your looking for a book that includes magic, time-travel, curses and some light romance then this book is for you! :)
Isabel Bitterblau
Jul 05, 2014 Isabel Bitterblau rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, in-love
Este fue el primer libro que leí por voluntad propia cuando tenía unos 11 años, el primero que cogí de una biblioteca, el primero del que me enamoré y si algún día tengo hijos, el primero que les haré leer a ellos también (junto a toda la saga de Harry Potter, obviamente).

Así que no puedo estar siendo menos objetiva a la hora de puntuarlo y darle 5 estrellas
Ellinor
At first I thought this would be another Twilight. Two teenagers - one of them the new kid at school, the other one with strange abilities - falling in love. But I lost this impression after a few pages and started to really like this book. It was a quick read. I was only a little disappointed by the ending which I had expected to be much more spectacular.
Gelisvb
Sep 04, 2016 Gelisvb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book when I was thirteen, and I was obsessed with it.
Ana Duque
Aug 20, 2016 Ana Duque rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Acabo de descubrir a esta autora y puedo decir que no va a ser el único libro que lea de ella. Fantasía juvenil urbana de la mejor
Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ]
"romance with some time travel action"

Kate has had a strange childhood, raised in a remote Australian village by her grandmother, who is a witch. Not your brewing small children in a pot witch, but more a wise woman, who knows old magic...still, when you combine having such a grandmother with having strange powers yourself, it can make for high-school awkwardness. Especially in Kate's case--although her class is very small, her classmates slot themselves neatly into the stereotypes of unpleasant
Nikki (Fiction Freak)

I walked into Half Price Bookstore, expecting to find a little treausure among all the discarded books. I mean, a person's trash can be another person's treasure, right? And guess what I foudn...Old Magic. The cover drew me in, the title hooked me on, and the summary sealed the deal.

This book had all the cliches of a fantasy/paranormal novel. New guy. Check. Cute. Check. Something freaky happens. Check. Secrets are found. Double check. But hey, we all nee
Rikke
It has been a lovely, but also very stressful week, and when I finally found some time for reading this Sunday, I wanted to read something light and easy; I wanted to read something fun.
In all fairness, "Old Magic" certainly was light and easy. I read it in a few hours, and it didn't demand too much of me. And that is something I appreciate.

However, the story itself was not what I had hoped it would be. Curley uses the oldest cliché in the book and lets the new, mysterious boy in high school bec
~Tina~
Oct 17, 2009 ~Tina~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hocus-pocus
Living in Canada this was a very rare book to get a hold of.
Only by a dear friend of mine, who lives in the US, sent me a copy, that I had the pleasure of reading this wonderful gem.

OLD MAGIC was a wonderful story of boy-becomes-man and having faith in what you are...even if you don't want to admit the Lady is right ;)

Kate and Jarrod's journey takes them to olden times where they must make right what has been wronged to Jarrod's ancestries.
Through this time they will find the growth to heal more
Lauren
Feb 11, 2011 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade, ya
Fun, easy read. A teen romance about a clumsy boy whose family is cursed. They eventually go back in time to the Middle Ages to take care of the curse. Fun concept that teen girls would eat up.

Positives: Liked the character's physical descriptions. Very clear visuals in my head. The villain was the best crafted character in the book though. This author knows how to do EVIL.

Criticism: While I liked the book being told in alternating points of view (between Kate and Jarrod), I feel like often thei
kari
Jan 31, 2010 kari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, 2010
Bianca
I read this book ages ago (okay, no, it was just seven or eight years ago). It was one of the first fantasy novels I read, and something in me just... clicked on. While I loved books before, this for me was a discovery.
It was cathartic to let go of all my problems for a few hours and disappear in a fictitious world. In somebody else's life.
Everyone has been an awkward teen, this novel taught me that I could become someone else in a novel.
I wrote for the first time, after I read this novel. And
Jill Hughes
Okay.

I dislike this book.

I read it awhile ago, around last year or so, and back then it used to be more of a vitriolic hate, and it's simmered down now, but I still remember this one with some distaste.

The plot itself is fine, and is actually rather a cool concept. Kate, the granddaughter of a witch, and Jarrod, a boy from a family cursed with generations of bad luck, meet when Jarrod transfers to Kate's school. With her knowledge in magic and her grandmother's help, the two travel back in ti
nurmawati

Tokoh dari "present time" :
-------------------------------------------
Jarrod = clumsy but totaly hot... keluarganya dikutuk sejak ratusan tahun yang lalu...bakal banyak kematian dan kemalangan di keluarganya kalo dia gak memusnahkan kutukan itu..

Kate = an outsider di sekolahnya karena dianggap keturunan penyihir...
Gak tau siapa ayah kandungnya dan dari kecil ditinggal ibunya utk dirawat jillian...
Kate punya kekuatan bisa masuk ke pikiran org lain dan merasakan tanpa org lain tau dia menginvasi p
Sara Grochowski
Genre: Young Adult
Main Themes: Magic, Curses, Love, Time travel
Pages: 317
Plot (from back cover):
"Jarrod Thornton is mesmerizing, but Kate Warren doesn't know why.

The moment the new guy walks into the room, Kate senses something strange and intense about him. Something supernatural. Her instincts are proven correct a few minutes later when, bullied by his classmates, Jarrod unknowingly conjures up a freak thunderstor
♥ Sarah
The GR average rating for this book is a 3.89. What. The. Hell.

Maybe it's just a case of it's-not-you-it's-me; but sure enough, I found myself rolling my eyes and profusely blushing from the cheesiness of the story! Blah.

Long story short: Kate is an outcast, shunned by all her peers because of her "witch" status. She has one best-friend who served no purpose in the story at all. She should have been edited out of the whole story. Regardless, Kate meets Jared, a powerful warlock who has been cur
Michelle
I absolutely love this book, and I have read it more times than I can remember.

I remember I read it the first time when I was still a teenager and maybe that was a reason why I liked it so much, I could easier relate to many of the issues between some of the characters.

The two main characters are great and flawed in each their own way.
Kate is one of those strong female leads, only to be torn down and rebuilt with some help from the hero. I absolutely loved her gusto and perseverance to goad J
Em-em
Jul 07, 2011 Em-em rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jarrod is the new kid in a small town but there is something different with this boy and Kate catches this the moment Jarrod steps inside the classroom. Jarrod is like Kate but different from Kate because he is unaware of his gift and is in denial about it. However, this new boy has a terrible secret; a curse that tears his family apart. And the only way to break this curse is to accept his gift and the help from Kate.

This book is AMAZING. I never thought that I would love this book as much as
  • Violet Eyes (Violet Eyes, #1)
  • Origins (Sweep, #11)
  • The China Garden
  • Timeless Love
  • Voice of the Undead (Alex Van Helsing #2)
  • The Pace (The Pace, #1)
  • Out of Time (Time Travelers, #2)
  • Witch Ball (The Seer, #3)
  • The Crystal Mask (The Echorium Sequence, #2)
  • To Catch a Pirate
  • Revealers
I loved reading from a young age and scoured my school libraries during my younger years, but I never thought I would become a writer. It was not until my mid-thirties, while teaching office studies and computers to adults at the Coffs Harbour Education Campus that I began to think seriously about writing. I took several courses and experimented with different styles and genres. With two teenage d ...more
More about Marianne Curley...

2 trivia questions
3 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“This wind is mystical yet tame, and it sings to me.” 70 likes
“Not to know what happened before you were born is always to remain a child. For what is a man’s life if it is not linked with the life of future generations by memories of the past?” 14 likes