America Walks into a Bar: A Spirited History of Taverns and Saloons, Speakeasies and Grog Shops

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  21 reviews
When George Washington bade farewell to his officers, he did so in New York's Fraunces Tavern. When Andrew Jackson planned his defense of New Orleans against the British in 1815, he met Jean Lafitte in a grog shop. And when John Wilkes Booth plotted with his accomplices to carry out a certain assassination, they gathered in Surratt Tavern.
In America Walks into a Bar, Chris...more
Published June 21st 2011 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published May 31st 2011)

Camper
A thoroughly researched piece on the role bars, taverns, and saloons played in American history, from the beginning days of the Colonies through Prohibition, Stonewall, and even the babies-in-bars controversy in Brooklyn. Can be dry when it covers periods in history that may not be of interest, but Sismondo makes up for it in that she doesn't repeat much information reported in other recently-written drink history books. Most of the book focuses on the distant past and references sources like He...more
Stephany
Beth
I love early American history but I wasn't expecting so much of it, mostly political, in the beginning of this book. I guess it had to be done to get the point across of how central drinking establishments were to the development of our country. Moving on to the prohibition time period and I had to stop often to do research on certain things mentioned. This book discusses gay bars, smoking in bars, jazz not allowed in bars, saxophones were too sexy an instrument (that was interesting) women in b...more
Mairi
I enjoyed it but did not love it. If you, like me, are a resident of the US of a certain age and/or went to public schools and/or took certain series of history and government classes you may have experienced said classes in such a way that the same material seemed to be covered over and over again with chronologically-later stuff crammed into the last few weeks of school because you just don't have time. (World War I? Great Depression? World War II? Korea? Red Scare? Civil Rights? Vietnam? Cold...more
J.
A pretty good, but not great, book. It does a good job of describing the importance of the saloon, tavern, or bar as a meeting place(often the only meeting place available) for people throughout American history. Other reviews have pointed out a couple of minor errors and the breezy pace of the book is entertaining but doesn't allow in depth analysis. Which was fine for the most part, but occasionally frustrating. The last chapter seemed a bit odd in tone (at least to me) as it moved from the hi...more
Margaret Sankey
Billed as a pub crawl through American History, with scholarly endnotes, this is a study of the role taverns and bars have played in American life--as frontier centers, Revolutionary cells, ethnic enclaves, Political Machine HQ, targets of reformers, Anarchist hideouts, centers of Female and Gay liberation and current battleground over yuppie moms drinking with strollers. Sismondo has an eye for telling anecdotes, but a reliable habit of citing where they came from.
Keith Parrish
Interesting survey history of the history of the tavern, pub, grog shop, speakeasy, saloon, bar in America. And yes there is a difference between all of those. Sismondo points out how much history was made, or at least concocted, in bars and how public drinking has shaped and been shaped by societal forces. And told with the occasional snarky side comment. Overall, a fun trip through American history.
Vickey Kall
This is an academic book. Yes, it's about fun stuff (drinkin' and boozin' and what-not) but it is still very much and academic book that combs data from centuries ago to draw conclusions about how taverns functioned at different times in our history.
If I were closer to my college years I might have enjoyed it more, but now...it was just too much like an assignment to try and get through it. Sorry!
Ron Davidson
A decent overview of the role of drinking and drinking establishments in American culture and politics. The author does a good job in illustrating the social function of the saloon/tavern/bar/etc., particularly as it affected the working classes. The frequent conflict between classes and ethnicities, and how these conflicts have been reflected in drinking (and drug) culture is an interesting story.
Nicole
This was a fabulous read for anyone who likes bars/drinks/drinking and history. Very fun, light and well-written. Traces the history of the bar through American history and what rolls bars have played in our history. I found the first part to be a bit awkward in its pacing, but the last 2/3rds smoothed out considerably and it was quite a fun read.

Michelle Gobble
(To be fair, I didn't actually finish, so review might change when I do.)

Liked the concept of the book, but when there were some glaring historical inaccuracies about the tavern where I work, makes me question wether or not the rest is accurate. That said, I think most people forget how important taverns were in early American history.
Scout
Very informative about the history of America and its foundation in bars. It talks about the political evolution of taverns, saloons, grog-shops, and speakeasies. Simondo's writing style is bland which made the book slow and at times difficult to get through. Very-well researched. Great topic.
Barina
This spirited American history book is full of tales of the Puritans through Prohibition and much more. Details how in many areas of the country, taverns were the main gathering locations and many important decisions were discussed, planned and made. Not unlike many at home bars.
Shawn Snow
Interesting book as it tells the history of America through bartenders and alcohol. The book was really dry and longwinded in some parts which made it hard to read. This book took me 8 months to read as it needed my full attention to understand all the minute details.
Tom
Two of my favorite subjects--bars and history--combine to create one of my LEAST favorite books in a long time. I still like the point of it--that a lot of important American history took place in bars, taverns, etc--but this book never clicked for me.
Marguerite Czajka
It was interesting but a bit too dry and academic. I think I subconsciously thought it would be a lighter read since the title mimics the beginning of a joke. Good history of how taverns have changed over time.
Tim
An excellent book that is a good social history of bars in the United States and the role these places played. It looks at both the positive and the negative sides. It was an interesting quick read.
Kim
This slowed my normally fast reading fat rear end down. It is funny and the history you wish they had taught in school! You don't have to be a history buff or major to read and enjoy this book.
Tom
While this is a great subject, this is not a great book. Too dry, too academic (says a former academic)for the subject. Try David Wondrich's books for a better read with good historical background.
Meaghan
A fantastic look at American history, reflected in the back bar mirror. Full review here: http://cineastesbookshelf.blogspot.co...
Will
I found this to be an entertaining, informative read. It's a book I'll likely use as a resource when writing about beers.
Nick Moran
Could've used a lot of tightening up, but a really interesting read nonetheless.
Jason
Jason is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Tristan Darcy
Tristan Darcy marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
  • The Idea of America: Reflections on the Birth of the United States
  • Railroaded: The Transcontinentals and the Making of Modern America
  • How the States Got Their Shapes Too: The People Behind the Borderlines
  • The Chitlin' Circuit: And the Road to Rock 'n' Roll
  • Tories
  • Fear of Food: A History of Why We Worry about What We Eat
  • The Invisible Line: Three American Families and the Secret Journey from Black to White
  • David Crockett: The Lion of the West
  • Entertaining Satan: Witchcraft and the Culture of Early New England
  • Medical Muses: Hysteria in Nineteenth-Century Paris
  • Sugar: A Bittersweet History
  • Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails: From the Alamagoozlum Cocktail to the Zombie {80 Rediscovered Recipes and the Stories behind Them}
  • Imbibe!: From Absinthe Cocktail to Whiskey Smash, a Salute in Stories and Drinks to "Professor" Jerry Thomas, Pioneer of the American Bar
  • Ambitious Brew
  • Chop Suey: A Cultural History of Chinese Food in the United States
  • Manliness and Civilization: A Cultural History of Gender and Race in the United States, 1880-1917
  • The Book of Gin: A Spirited World History from Alchemists' Stills and Colonial Outposts to Gin Palaces, Bathtub Gin, and Artisanal Cocktails
  • Revolutionaries: A New History of the Invention of America