Start by marking “Panati's Extraordinary Endings of Practically Everything and Everybody” as Want to Read:
Panati's Extraordinary Endings of Practically Everything and Everybody

Panati's Extraordinary Endings of Practically Everything and Everybody

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  204 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Charles Panati, America's favorite gatherer of origins, now offers the last word on how people, places, and things of all sorts have met their ends through the centuries. From famous presidents to frightening epidemics, from ancient extinctions to vanished vogues, from bizarre last wills to the death styles of the rich and renowned, The Browser's Book of Endings presents t ...more
Published September 1st 1989 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 1989)

Be the first to ask a question about Panati's Extraordinary Endings of Practically Everything and Everybody

Drink, Play, F@#k by Andrew GottliebThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanTurkey--Bright Sun, Strong Tea by Tom BrosnahanCartwheels in a Sari by Jayanti TammTo Revolt Is a People's Right by Andrew James Pritchard
Books I Might Want to Read
26th out of 27 books — 5 voters
Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Coin Collectors by Sharon DelaroseFifty Plants That Changed the Course of History by Bill LawsThe New Homeowner's Guide to House Spirits by Alexei Maxim RussellWarrior by R.G. GrantPanati's Brower's Book of Beginnings by Charles Panati
Best Reference Books
11th out of 24 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Meredith Stranges
I might have to read more by this author. I liked his extensive vocabulary that seemed to roll off the pages in a natural, unselfconscious way. I learned some amazing things from this book and details on topics that I have never come across anywhere else. I wish there were a newer edition (since this one is from 1989 and needs an update).
Posy Roberts
Like all of Panati's books in this series, your eyes are opened to things that you never knew that you knew. These books go beyond simple trivia. You get a deeper view of things we often take for granted in our society. This was a great bedtime book for me when I suffered insomnia because I could read the little snippets and not lose anything if I fell asleep, simply move on to the next bit the following night. I recommend these books to people all the time.
OMG so much fun and so much weirdness! It does what says on tin and is a nice broad look at all sorts of endings - burials, death culture, will and testaments, extinction, obsolete tech... It gave me ideas and avenues that I must further research. Therefore, this is a Good Book.
One of the most interesting books that I have read by far. It is split into subjects, so it's easy to read just a little, in a few minutes or stay up all night reading. I did this a couple times. Highly entertaining!
Thought I'd like this more than I did. I've read some of Panati's other works and I enjoy books covering this type of trivia, but it seemed to go on and on and on. Sections on the the cemetery movement, dead presidents, mass extinctions and species terminated by man were interesting, but those on the deaths of famous people dragged; especially the ending chapter on "famous people of the old West." Seriously, who cares about that.
great to pick up and put down if you can't handle reading marathons,don't worry about losing your place. interesting information,enlightens.
Sandra Strange
This book is everything it says it is: it tells the ending of everybody from bequests of the US presidents to the deaths of notorious characters of the Old West, from different kinds of dying, to ancient extinctions, to vanished customs (including sexual practices--so the book isn't for the faint of heart).
Great book! So entertaining, but the best part is the educational things that I've learned from reading this! I read it while sitting in the pit for a show a few years back and I've found the need to refer to it many times! Great book I just happened to pick up second hand!
Lindsay Campbell
Aug 27, 2007 Lindsay Campbell rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
companion to the origins book, though i prefer the origins. this does have people's last words, wills, etc, including all the US presidents and many writers. also covers extinctions. buy the pair while you're at it.
I was reading this when I delivered my son, which could explain some things, come to think of it. What a bizarre little gem.
I love this type of trivia! Gives you something to talk about at parties.
Cheryl Lindstrom
fantaastic book full of interesting if occassionally morbid info
Julie isawesome
The Dodo is my favorite
Jenni marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Susan Johnston
Susan Johnston marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Beki Gorski
Beki Gorski marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Marie marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Kim marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Sara added it
Sep 26, 2015
Vijayakrishna Pondala
Vijayakrishna Pondala marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
finley marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Stephen marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Wes Parsons
Wes Parsons marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Witide marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Veeral marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Chelsey marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Kevin Mathew
Kevin Mathew marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
  • The Straight Dope
  • Ancient Mysteries
  • After the Funeral: The Posthumous Adventures of Famous Corpses
  • An Underground Education: The Unauthorized and Outrageous Supplement to Everything You Thought You Knew About Art, Sex, Business, Crime, Science, Medicine, and Other Fields of Human Knowledge
  • Voluptuous Panic: The Erotic World of Weimar Berlin (Expanded Edition)
  • The Handy History Answer Book (1st Ed.)
  • 10 Ways to Recycle a Corpse: and 100 More Dreadfully Distasteful Lists
  • The Whole Death Catalog: A Lively Guide to the Bitter End
  • A World of Curiosities: Surprising, Interesting, and Downright Unbelievable Facts from Every Nation on t he Planet
  • They Went That-A-Way:  How the Famous, the Infamous, and the Great Died
  • Cranioklepty: Grave Robbing and the Search for Genius
  • Forensics and Fiction: Clever, Intriguing, and Downright Odd Questions from Crime Writers
  • Pirattitude!: So you Wanna Be a Pirate?: Here's How!
  • The Pessimist's Guide to History: An Irresistible Guide to Compendium of Catastrophes, Barbarities, Massacres and Mayhem
  • The World's Worst: A Guide to the Most Disgusting, Hideous, Inept, and Dangerous People, Places, and Things on Earth
  • Ad Infinitum: A Biography of Latin
  • Imponderables: The Solution to the Mysteries of Everyday Life
  • The Good Old Days--They Were Terrible!