Start by marking “Panati's Extraordinary Endings of Practically Everything and Everybody” as Want to Read:
Panati's Extraordinary Endings of Practically Everything and Everybody

Panati's Extraordinary Endings of Practically Everything and Everybody

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  208 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Charles Panati, America's favorite gatherer of origins, now offers the last word on how people, places, and things of all sorts have met their ends through the centuries. From famous presidents to frightening epidemics, from ancient extinctions to vanished vogues, from bizarre last wills to the death styles of the rich and renowned, The Browser's Book of Endings presents t ...more
Published September 1st 1989 by Harper Perennial (first published January 1st 1989)

Be the first to ask a question about Panati's Extraordinary Endings of Practically Everything and Everybody

Drink, Play, F@#k by Andrew GottliebThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanTurkey--Bright Sun, Strong Tea by Tom BrosnahanCartwheels in a Sari by Jayanti TammTo Revolt Is a People's Right by Andrew James Pritchard
Books I Might Want to Read
26th out of 27 books — 5 voters
Wedding Anniversary Gifts for Coin Collectors by Sharon DelaroseFifty Plants That Changed the Course of History by Bill LawsThe New Homeowner's Guide to House Spirits by Alexei Maxim RussellExtraordinary Origins of Everyday Things by Charles PanatiNatural History by Becky Alexander
Best Reference Books
13th out of 25 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Meredith Stranges
Aug 26, 2015 Meredith Stranges rated it really liked it
I might have to read more by this author. I liked his extensive vocabulary that seemed to roll off the pages in a natural, unselfconscious way. I learned some amazing things from this book and details on topics that I have never come across anywhere else. I wish there were a newer edition (since this one is from 1989 and needs an update).
Posy Roberts
Jan 04, 2011 Posy Roberts rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nerdy-factoid
Like all of Panati's books in this series, your eyes are opened to things that you never knew that you knew. These books go beyond simple trivia. You get a deeper view of things we often take for granted in our society. This was a great bedtime book for me when I suffered insomnia because I could read the little snippets and not lose anything if I fell asleep, simply move on to the next bit the following night. I recommend these books to people all the time.
Angie
Oct 16, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it
OMG so much fun and so much weirdness! It does what says on tin and is a nice broad look at all sorts of endings - burials, death culture, will and testaments, extinction, obsolete tech... It gave me ideas and avenues that I must further research. Therefore, this is a Good Book.
Donell
May 05, 2011 Donell rated it really liked it
One of the most interesting books that I have read by far. It is split into subjects, so it's easy to read just a little, in a few minutes or stay up all night reading. I did this a couple times. Highly entertaining!
Chris
May 16, 2010 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought I'd like this more than I did. I've read some of Panati's other works and I enjoy books covering this type of trivia, but it seemed to go on and on and on. Sections on the the cemetery movement, dead presidents, mass extinctions and species terminated by man were interesting, but those on the deaths of famous people dragged; especially the ending chapter on "famous people of the old West." Seriously, who cares about that.
Tara
Jan 12, 2014 Tara rated it really liked it
great to pick up and put down if you can't handle reading marathons,don't worry about losing your place. interesting information,enlightens.
Sandra Strange
This book is everything it says it is: it tells the ending of everybody from bequests of the US presidents to the deaths of notorious characters of the Old West, from different kinds of dying, to ancient extinctions, to vanished customs (including sexual practices--so the book isn't for the faint of heart).
Jenna
Jul 22, 2013 Jenna rated it it was amazing
Great book! So entertaining, but the best part is the educational things that I've learned from reading this! I read it while sitting in the pit for a show a few years back and I've found the need to refer to it many times! Great book I just happened to pick up second hand!
Lindsay Campbell
Aug 27, 2007 Lindsay Campbell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
companion to the origins book, though i prefer the origins. this does have people's last words, wills, etc, including all the US presidents and many writers. also covers extinctions. buy the pair while you're at it.
Carolyn
Jan 17, 2009 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I was reading this when I delivered my son, which could explain some things, come to think of it. What a bizarre little gem.
Paul
Jan 07, 2008 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this type of trivia! Gives you something to talk about at parties.
Cheryl Lindstrom
Jan 02, 2013 Cheryl Lindstrom rated it really liked it
fantaastic book full of interesting if occassionally morbid info
Julie isawesome
Sep 20, 2008 Julie isawesome rated it really liked it
The Dodo is my favorite
Robyn
Robyn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Claire L.
Claire L. marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
George
George marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Nigel Tufnel
Nigel Tufnel rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2016
B
B rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Mary Elise
Mary Elise marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Kitten Morpheus
Kitten Morpheus marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Giada
Giada rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2016
Nikki Rathbun
Nikki Rathbun marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Hanlin
Hanlin rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Terri Keel
Terri Keel marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
  • Ancient Mysteries
  • After the Funeral: The Posthumous Adventures of Famous Corpses
  • An Underground Education: The Unauthorized and Outrageous Supplement to Everything You Thought You Knew About Art, Sex, Business, Crime, Science, Medicine, and Other Fields of Human Knowledge
  • The Straight Dope
  • The Handy History Answer Book (1st Ed.)
  • Voluptuous Panic: The Erotic World of Weimar Berlin (Expanded Edition)
  • 10 Ways to Recycle a Corpse: and 100 More Dreadfully Distasteful Lists
  • A World of Curiosities: Surprising, Interesting, and Downright Unbelievable Facts from Every Nation on t he Planet
  • The World's Worst: A Guide to the Most Disgusting, Hideous, Inept, and Dangerous People, Places, and Things on Earth
  • The Worst Jobs in History
  • The Whole Death Catalog: A Lively Guide to the Bitter End
  • Pirattitude!: So you Wanna Be a Pirate?: Here's How!
  • Ad Infinitum: A Biography of Latin
  • Cranioklepty: Grave Robbing and the Search for Genius
  • The Mummy Congress: Science, Obsession, and the Everlasting Dead
  • Uncle John's Slightly Irregular Bathroom Reader
  • Why Do Clocks Run Clockwise? and Other Imponderables: Mysteries of Everyday Life Explained
  • What are the Seven Wonders of the World?: And 100 Other Great Cultural Lists--Fully Explicated