Start by marking “Shift (Gate of Orpheus Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Shift (Gate of Orpheus Trilogy #1)

Shift (Gate of Orpheus Trilogy #1)

2.97 of 5 stars 2.97  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  36 reviews
A new caliber of thriller set at the collision of ’60s counterculture and the rise
of dark forces in world government. Heroes creator Tim Kring injects history with a supernatural, hallucinogenic what-if.

Set in the crucible of the 1960s, Shift is the story of Chandler Forrestal, a man whose life is changed forever when he is unwittingly dragged into a CIA mind-control expe
Published (first published August 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Shift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shift

Darcia Helle
I love the premise for this story. Set in the 1960s, the plot revolves around LSD and mind control experiments, along the lines of MK-Ultra experiments done by the CIA. The writing is great, as far as the author's phrasing and technique. However, for me, the story is all over the place. At times, I felt like I was the one on acid! I was a third of the way into the book before the characters even began to link together enough so that the story made sense. There were too many characters jumping ar ...more
Adam Bennett
Shift is an alternate history novel written by the guy who made up Heroes the TV show and another author. Together they have written a solid readable novel with a great twist on a timeless question. If you could somehow stop JFK (or any public figure for that matter) being assassinated what would happen?

Many writers have written in this vain, some of the better offers including Stephen King’s 11.22.63 (on how to go back in time to stop the JFK assassination) and Stephen Fry’s Making History (on
Nathan Nipp
Being a fan of alternate history, I was intrigued by this book(which more like a secret history of the JFK assassination) With a quirk cast of characters, plenty of drugs and international espionage, this is one thrilling ride.

This has been billed as the first part of a trilogy. finishing the book, it does make sense. (view spoiler)

A note about the audio edition: This audio book is narrated by Robert Forster. Excellent voi
Nick
TV showrunner Tim Kring and his cowriter, the more experienced novelist Dale Peck, have produced an alternate history mashup of mind-control, LSD, conspiracy and the Kennedy assassination that goes on a bit too long with characters that showed promise for a while, until, well, the damn thing exhausted me. The authors beat the dead horse of a premise with a stick that got bloody about half way through. Given that we know the outcome of the story, the only reason to slog through would be the compe ...more
David Tendo
Boy, was I disappointed, I had wanted to read this when I first saw it on the bookstore shelves, but it failed in a big way. I really wanted to like this book, but I just couldn't, is it contradictory to say that it felt like too much was going on, but at the same time nothing actually happens? I loved the TV series "Heroes" and I loved the concept of secret government experiments with mind-altering drugs, ESP and JFK assassination connections; so it should be a hit with me right? Wrong. The sto ...more
Rich Stoehr
The first pages of Shift open on my birthday, two years from now, and the story reaches back from there to a time before the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, a time before I was born. Coincidence? Or is there some hidden meaning I should glean from this?

Shift is an ambitious novel in many ways, not the least of which is an attempt to create a new story with the JFK assassination, around which there are already more stories than there are myths about King Arthur. It's a big story, span
Chibineko
If you are a Heroes fan, you are sure to recognize Tim Kring as the creator of the series. For some readers this knowledge will either hurt or help your perception of the book. As for me, I've never watched the show, so I went into this book without any preconceptions about Kring or Dale.

Shift begins in the year 2012. A fiery figure appears in the sky before several witnesses. Many say that the figure seemed to be searching for someone but couldn't find them. The book then jumps to the 1960s whe
Cheryl
This book starts out in the year 1963.

Chandler Forrestal was just an innocent victim. He met Naz, a nice woman who spiked his drink, only she didn’t slip him a roofie. Naz gave Chandler a bunch of LCD. As if things aren’t out of this world crazy enough when you are under the influence of mind altering drugs. Chandler Suddenly, Chandler starts experiencing some mental changes. Chandler believes that he has uncovered the true facts about President Kennedy’s assassination. Everyone is involved fro
Jessica
I picked up an advanced reading copy of this book at Comic-Con after seeing a panel with Tim Kring. I was initially interested because I'm a fan of Heroes but I wasn't sure what to expect from his novel. I'm glad I gave it a chance!

I liked the premise of this book - taking a series of historical events and adding a sci-fi twist to them - and for the most part I really enjoyed the writing style. I would have liked to have seen more of Chandler and the development of his LSD-induced powers and les
Pedro
Bem... Sem dúvida, começou um pouco confuso, foi preciso avançar bastante na leitura (trata-se ainda de um livro relativamente extenso) para que o interesse começasse a despertar. Felizmente, foi uma boa recompensa ter continuado a ler! A partir de certa altura já estava completamente empolgado e cheguei ao fim com o coração aos saltos.

Infelizmente, a história do LSD e do Orfeu fazem deste livro algo mais parecido com ficção-científica. Quem sabe se é mesmo ficção?... Não deixa de ser uma excele
Tad Deshler
Some of the historical bits were somewhat interesting, but in the end the alternate history didn't seem all that different from reality, at least in the large scale. Perhaps the LSD power trip deal will be fleshed out in later volumes, but I'm not sure I will be going there.
Lizbuf
Disappointing! I was really looking forward to reading this as the premise on the blurb sounded really interesting - it did not live up to expectation. Firstly, the blurb really misdirected the reader - this book was not about someone trying to prevent the assassination of JFK at all (well maybe a tiny bit at the end...!). Some of it the writing was so strange I found it hard to follow (maybe trying to invoke an LSD style haze in the reader's imagination?!?). The characters were unsympathetic an ...more
Alex Murphy
Definitely This follows like the authors TV 'Heroes', lots of promise at the start, yet less tan a third in that opportunity is wasted in a mess of plots that don't link together (CIA drug experiments with prostitutes, time travel, missing nuke in 60's Cuba, defecting KGB, rogue CIA) that have something to do with the Kennedy assassination By the end the plot makes little overall sense. I think they were (and am by the looks of it) planning for a series of books, but like 'Heroes' forgot that ea ...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Jun 07, 2010 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as maybe-read-sometime  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
The library catalogue auto-flagged this for me; I have it set to tell me when new Tim Kring works are added, mostly to facilitate my viewing of the TV series.

I was immediately reminded of the Wild Cards character Mark Meadows. If I find myself short of other things to read (ha) and in the mood to take in some suspense fiction, I might give this a shot. But probably not any time soon.
Julia
As a fan of Heroes, I was interested to learn that Tim Kring had collaborated on a new book. Shift takes place in the 1960s and focuses on the government's experiments with LSD. The story built slowly, but once the authors had laid the foundation, I was unable to put this book down, eager to see how the threads were woven together.

I received a copy of Shift via NetGalley
Tiina
This book was just too strange. I would have welcomed the espionage and intrigue, but with the supernatural powers thrown in, that was just too much.

And so many deaths in too much detail! The book spelled "movie rights" in 10-ft-high burning letters.

Final complaint: Why did the blurb on the back cover reveal something that had not happened in the first 120 pages (after which I stopped reading)?!?! I HATE SPOILERS.
I received this from Read it forward and thought it was o.k. The story jumped around a bit, for the most part was really confusing. I do like the premise of the book and the characters are great. The author is very humorous and I like his style, although I would not rush out to buy his latest novel. All in all, a good read if you receive an Advanced Reader's Copy like I did.
Paul
Had no idea when I bought this book that it was a three part follower upper ( I know "follower upper", it's what my Mam used to call the serial westerns in the cinema in the 50's :)), Until I realised there were two more parts, I hated the ending of this,but I loved the rest of the book,a real rollercoster ride.Now that I know I can't wait to read the next part! :).
Paula
Es una verdadera lastima que la novela no este a la altura del trabajo de investigacion que los autores realizaron para la misma. La trama es mortalmente aburrida, quiza porque a la hora de escribir, Tim Kring dejo que sus años como guionista de series de accion quedaran claros en el texto. Una gran idea estropeada por unos malos escritores.
Mark Zadroga
Read an advance copy of Tim Kring's (creator of Heros) debut novel 'Shift'. It's an interesting take on the CIA early LSD experiments and the JFK assaination. Great plot twists and characters. But I found myself wishing Kring had picked a subject that hadn't been trod over again and again over the last 4 decades. Still, it's a great 1st effort.
Dennis Willingham
Good first novel from the creator of TV's Heroes. Yet another Kennedy assassination conspiracy theory, not as good as Elroy, but better than most and brings a new science-fictiony twist that's a little unexpected and interesting.
Colleen
An interesting idea but I found the excution VERY slow and had a difficult time caring for the main character as we didn't get to know him very well. They did do a good job protraying the atomsphere of the early cold war very well.
Heidi
Exceeded my expectations. A creative fictional account of interwoven events leading to the Kennedy assassination, including LSD and mind control as a weapon of American spy/surveillence agencies, among other things.
Barry
At long last I understand why Heroes started well then became so crap. After a few chapters the book was no longer good enough to read anywhere but on the toilet, and if the paper had been any softer...
Ricky
Very confusing, but also very fast-moving and at least mildly interesting. I wonder, is book 2 still gonna come out, or has the series been scrapped and we haven't found out yet?
Hope
Reminds me of a bunch of TV I've watched recently. Something along the lines of Heros + the men who stare at goats + 'retro' Fringe. A very strange trip.
Michael
This is an amazing book. It combines science fiction with well known historical events to create a 'what if' mind set. I really liked this book!
Pisinat
1,5 plutôt... Trop compliqué à suivre, et puis je n'ai pas accroché à l'écriture... M. Kring, après la fin d'Heroes, voilà une nouvelle déception :(
Lynette Hague
Too many shifts back and forth between times and characters. I'm not into the drug scene and didn't find the plot very captivating.
Tony Ryan
Interesting premise, and the book starts promisingly, but the narrative quickly becomes dull and unsatisfying.
This book could be about Me . 1 5 Aug 31, 2010 04:04PM
Wild Cards 1 3 Jun 07, 2010 04:21AM
  • Countdown: The Liberators
  • Traitor (Stratton, #6)
  • November 22, 1963
  • The Holy Bullet (Vaticano, #2)
  • Drop Zone (Drop Zone #1)
  • Internecine
  • The Bone Chamber
  • To The Death (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #10)
  • While Galileo Preys
  • The California Roll
  • Silent Victim
  • Reclaiming History: The Assassination of John F. Kennedy
  • Devil's Keep
  • A Knife Edge (Vin Cooper, #2)
  • The Night Of Knives
  • All The Pretty Dead Girls
Tim Kring is the creator, an executive producer, and a writer for Heroes. Kring has worked as an executive producer for all four seasons of the show. He is the most prolific writer for the series.

Tim Kring is well-versed in writing and creating entertainment. He began his writing career for the hit TV show Knight Rider in the early 1980s. In 1987 Kring penned Teen Wolf Too alongside Jeph Loeb. He
More about Tim Kring...