Baseball Hacks: Tips & Tools for Analyzing and Winning with Statistics

Baseball Hacks: Tips & Tools for Analyzing and Winning with Statistics

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Baseball Hacks isn't your typical baseball book--it's a book about how to watch, research, and understand baseball. It's an instruction manual for the free baseball databases. It's a cookbook for baseball research. Every part of this book is designed to teach baseball fans how to do something. In short, it's a how-to book--one that will increase your enjoyment and knowledg...more
Published February 7th 2006 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 31st 2006)

Josh
I bought this thinking it was a baseball book, and one could use it to gain a deeper understanding of the game's statistics. But the advanced stats it discussed weren't all that new to me, and several good sites like Baseball Reference, Baseball Prospectus, and FanGraphs already fulfill the niche of advanced stats databases. So I didn't really know what to do with the book. It sat my shelf for a few years.

Then one day I paged through it again and it clicked. This isn't a baseball book: it's an...more
Chris
Some interesting content, but not well organized, and it's starting to show its age. O'Reilly has also not kept up its page for this title, so while the sample code is still available, the necessary data is not (and many of the scripts for scraping data from the web are outdated). It also relies heavily on mySQL to slice and dice data rather than explaining how to do it in R.

Readers interested in using R for analyzing baseball data are better off hitting the blogs.
Tommy
This book was ok. I think it will be most useful as a reference tool.

For anyone who reads about baseball statistics and Sabermetrics, whether it be from Bill James, Pete Palmer, Baseball Prospectus or anyone else won't really find any new ideas here but it is a great how-to guide.

Adler basically gives you the steps and the code to create a robust baseball database and gives you shows you some useful things to do with it so that you can go off and use it in any way you would like.

But at the end o...more
Tony Canas
I'm not a big baseball fan but this was an excellent look at how people rock their fantasy leagues and how much somebody can geek out over sports statistics. Even having an MIS degree it taught me quite a bit about practical uses of MySQL from a PC perspective. I'm sure I'll be using it for non-baseball related stuff.
Craig Curtin
Jan 11, 2009 Craig Curtin added it
Shelves: sports
good stats, good overview of sabre/open source s/w
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Logan Vessey
Logan Vessey marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Scott Williams
Scott Williams marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Dean
Dean marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Travis Stephenson
Travis Stephenson marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Bhaumik Kotecha
Bhaumik Kotecha marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
David
David marked it as to-read
May 12, 2013
mjg300
mjg300 marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2013
Kevin J.
Kevin J. marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2013
Roger Wang
Roger Wang marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2012
Scotty tooHotty
Scotty tooHotty marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
R in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference R in a Nutshell History Of The United States: An Interpretation With Songs And Autobiographical Narration Encyclopedia Of Jewish History: Events And Eras Of The Jewish People A New Fatherland: Discussion Between Bicycles