Start by marking “Baseball Hacks: Tips & Tools for Analyzing and Winning with Statistics” as Want to Read:
Baseball Hacks: Tips & Tools for Analyzing and Winning with Statistics

Baseball Hacks: Tips & Tools for Analyzing and Winning with Statistics

Baseball Hacks isn't your typical baseball book--it's a book about how to watch, research, and understand baseball. It's an instruction manual for the free baseball databases. It's a cookbook for baseball research. Every part of this book is designed to teach baseball fans how to do something. In short, it's a how-to book--one that will increase your enjoyment and knowledg ...more
Published February 7th 2006 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Baseball Hacks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baseball Hacks

Josh
Apr 12, 2011 Josh rated it liked it
I bought this thinking it was a baseball book, and one could use it to gain a deeper understanding of the game's statistics. But the advanced stats it discussed weren't all that new to me, and several good sites like Baseball Reference, Baseball Prospectus, and FanGraphs already fulfill the niche of advanced stats databases. So I didn't really know what to do with the book. It sat my shelf for a few years.

Then one day I paged through it again and it clicked. This isn't a baseball book: it's an
Tommy
Jun 17, 2009 Tommy rated it liked it
This book was ok. I think it will be most useful as a reference tool.

For anyone who reads about baseball statistics and Sabermetrics, whether it be from Bill James, Pete Palmer, Baseball Prospectus or anyone else won't really find any new ideas here but it is a great how-to guide.

Adler basically gives you the steps and the code to create a robust baseball database and gives you shows you some useful things to do with it so that you can go off and use it in any way you would like.

But at the end o
Chris
Apr 23, 2014 Chris rated it it was ok
Shelves: books2014
Some interesting content, but not well organized, and it's starting to show its age. O'Reilly has also not kept up its page for this title, so while the sample code is still available, the necessary data is not (and many of the scripts for scraping data from the web are outdated). It also relies heavily on mySQL to slice and dice data rather than explaining how to do it in R.

Readers interested in using R for analyzing baseball data are better off hitting the blogs.
Tony Canas
Aug 04, 2011 Tony Canas rated it really liked it
I'm not a big baseball fan but this was an excellent look at how people rock their fantasy leagues and how much somebody can geek out over sports statistics. Even having an MIS degree it taught me quite a bit about practical uses of MySQL from a PC perspective. I'm sure I'll be using it for non-baseball related stuff.
Craig Curtin
Jan 11, 2009 Craig Curtin added it
Shelves: sports
good stats, good overview of sabre/open source s/w
Jim Dewhurst
Jim Dewhurst rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2011
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Jul 05, 2012
Derek Bain
Derek Bain rated it really liked it
May 26, 2015
Zachb
Zachb rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2012
Dan Housman
Dan Housman rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2012
Bryan
Bryan rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2007
Matthew Young
Matthew Young rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Dave
Dave rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2014
Peter Emch
Peter Emch rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2015
Trei Brundrett
Trei Brundrett rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2014
Tommy Rosenak
Tommy Rosenak rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Drake
Drake rated it it was ok
Mar 10, 2013
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2007
Albert
Albert rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2011
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was ok
Jun 10, 2011
Avniel Dravid
Avniel Dravid rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2014
Ira Mitchell
Ira Mitchell rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2015
David Taylor
David Taylor rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2013
Thomas
Thomas rated it did not like it
May 15, 2014
Walter
Walter rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2011
Christopher Bowen
Christopher Bowen rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2015
Matt Henry
Matt Henry rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2015
Peter Ryan
Peter Ryan rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »