Start by marking “It Only Takes a Moment (Sunrise Suspense Society #2)” as Want to Read:
It Only Takes a Moment (Sunrise Suspense Society #2)

It Only Takes a Moment (KEY News #11)

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  1,247 Ratings  ·  167 Reviews
A seasoned television professional—the host of the top-rated KEY News morning show—Eliza Blake has reported on tragedies many times from behind the anchor's desk . . . and she has survived devastating crises of her own. But only now is she learning the true meaning of terror when her seven-year-old daughter, Janie, is kidnapped from summer camp. Forced to suffer through a ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about It Only Takes a Moment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Only Takes a Moment

Shincrackerfarm
Aug 17, 2009 Shincrackerfarm rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hope Mary Jane Clark has more going for her than the similarity between her name and that of Mary Higgins Clark, a real writer. In fact, I suggest Mary Jane gets a good, secure "day job", as, if It Only Takes a Moment is exemplary of her talents, she'll need it.
Sometimes we are disappointed in a thriller. Sometimes we are thrilled. However, It Only Takes a Moment just left me pissed off. Real fictional pulp.
The writing is weak. The plot is contrived, but could have been partially saved by a c
Angie
Jul 06, 2010 Angie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nah !
Shelves: fiction
Audiobook -
Despite the depth of the subject matter ( kidnapping of a 7 year old little girl ) , this book was pure fluff . POOR fluff at that ! It drug in spots where it should have picked up pace and added to the suspense - it was short and lacking where it should have become deep and detailed . The conversations between characters seemed staged and without emotion . The abducted child's grandparents weren't even introduced into the story until the last disc and then were only very briefly m
V.R.
Jul 13, 2009 V.R. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want a quick summer read
Shelves: light-reading
Not a bad book by any stretch...quick pace, good hook. As my husband called it, "A suburbanite mom's paranoia summer read." I enjoyed it, kept turning the page, but I think there were too many characters introduced and not many of them seemed fully formed. When a new chapter would start with a new character, I had to flip back several times to remember if they'd already been introduced or not. I couldn't get a real sense of many of the characters, but this wasn't really a character driven story. ...more
Kristin
Apr 11, 2010 Kristin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, mystery
I have read her books before, after mistaken her for Mary Higgins Clark. However, this book left me lost. Not only were there too many characters, but the end was cheap and explained nothing. I get the impression Clark grew tired of the story and just stopped. So, Steph kidnapped the kids and gave them to Rhonda and David? Why? How had she known them?? And who is this 9 y.o. Nell? And why is such a fluffy book leaving me so baffled?
Diane
Jul 09, 2009 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A well-rounded book, I recommend this read to anyone who likes a good mystery. Ms. Clark has done a good job of bringing the reader along on her twisting, turning journey into the kidnapping of a child and the events that follow.

Well Done!
Diane Davis White
Author, Moon of the Falling Leaves
Cynthia
May 04, 2012 Cynthia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Suspense? Wow, this was so scary and full of suspense. Who am I kidding? It was a fast, light read, but hardly thrilling, heart pumping suspense.
Viraphone
I remember reading a couple of books from Mary Jane Clark back when I was in junior high or high school (which is like a decade ago), but I can't remember which ones, neither what I thought about them. I guess it was like "not bad, but not exceptional, not worth remembering". Now that I've read one with a couple more years of (reading) experience, I can understand why so. Not particularly any good, but still a somehow enjoyable reading.

Let's start with the good points.
- A classic premise. A chil
Karen
Aug 31, 2008 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Review of It Only Takes A Moment by Mary Jane Clark
In the tradition of James Patterson’s style of writing with the short, gripping, easily read chapters, Mary Jane Clark gives us the enthralling novel, It Only Takes a Moment. In the prologue, Eliza Blake, the heroine of the book, is walking up to a small casket in a funeral home. Immediately the reader knows they are in for a great page-turning ride as the first chapter then takes us back to a normal morning routine for Blake.
Eliza Blake is
Rhonda
Sep 26, 2008 Rhonda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eliza Blake is the host of the highly popular KEY News morning show. She is used to dealing with the media when spellbinding news keeps the viewer riveted to their television set and the anchor tense and engaged. Leaving
Kari Anderson
From Goodreads.com:
A seasoned television professional–the host of the top-rated KEY News morning show–Eliza Blake has reported on tragedies many times from behind the anchor’s desk . . . and she has survived devastating crises of her own. But only now is she learning the true meaning of terror when her seven-year-old daughter, Janie, is kidnapped from summer camp. Forced to suffer through a mother’s worst nightmare in the glare of the camera lights, Eliza finds herself trapped in a media circus
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Reviewed for Rebeccasreads.com

Author Mary Jane Clark is back with her latest novel involving Eliza Blake, the host of a morning news show on KEY News.

Eliza has lost her husband and it is now just her and her 7 year old daughter Janie. It is a normal day, Janie is off to camp for the day, Eliza is off to work and the housekeeper, Carmen, is doing her daily chores. All is going well until one of Carmen’s rituals backfires and she is taken against her will and forced to take Janie from camp, possib
Tmdalton
Nov 03, 2008 Tmdalton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It Only Takes a Moment is a suspenful and thrilling book. While reading this book I was put into a state of mind that made me think outside the box. This book is set in a small town and in a high class neighborhood. Eliza Blake one of the main characters is a news reporter for Key News to America. Eliza thinks she has the perfect life, perfect job, and the perfect family. So, why would someone want to take that all away from her? Throughout the book we are told of the journey Janie and Mrs. Garc ...more
Heather
Jul 17, 2015 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meghan
Nov 06, 2008 Meghan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It Only Takes a Moment was a susensful novel. It makes the reader think and up until the last page you dont know who has committed the crime.
Eliza Blake is a well known Tv Broadcaster, besides the fact that her husband was killed before their daughter Janie was born, she has a very good life. She makes a lot of money, has a nice house and housekeeper, a good job, and a wonderful daughter. It all changes when her housekeeper (Mrs. Garcia) and janie are abducted.
For Five days Mrs. Garcia and
Sue Smith
I was somewhat apprehensive when I started this book. I don't really like stories about child abduction. They make me squirm with discomfort. I just don't feel we need to write books about hurting kids ... personal feelings. But, I persevered and read it anyways. Thankfully, it wasn't a mean spirited book and it clipped along at a good pace - short chapters and easy reading. That being said, it wouldn't be a book that I would recommend reading over a long period of time. The constant flipping be ...more
Trisha W.
Jan 13, 2010 Trisha W. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2010
It has been a few years since I have read a book by Mary Jane Clark. I have two more books to read to be caught up with all of the books she has written. And even though I have not read her books in a while I had no problem picking this book up and remember exactly who Eliza Blake was.
The book starts off with Eliza at work and the housekeeper, Mrs. Garcia and Janie-Eliza's daughter- getting Janie ready to head to day camp. After Janie has left a mysterious black van pulls into the Blake's drive
Louise
A suspense filled novel that will keep you turning page after page as you hold your breath until you turn the next corner. Clark’s masterful description of a Mom in absolute anguish over the kidnapping of her young daughter is right on.

A seasoned television professional-the host of the top-rated KEY News morning show-Eliza Blake has reported on tragedies many times from behind the anchor’s desk...and she has survived devastating crises of her own. But only now is she learning the true meaning of
Anna Dye
This is a very good suspense novel about a famous TV anchor, Eliza Blake. Her life is in the spotlight from the beginning and she wonders if this could become a problem for her little family. Her nightmare turns reality when one day her little daughter, Janie, and the Spanish housekeeper, Mrs. Garcia, are kidnapped.
As expected, all the nationwide media camp on her doorstep to get the latest scoop, and some to show their support. With the FBI on the case, they examine all the clues, real or not,
Susan Ross
Dec 15, 2011 Susan Ross rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This is a quick paced book with twists and turns. It deals with the kidnapping of the seven-year-old daughter of Eliza Blake, the successful host of a news show.

The focus of the book is to try and guess who, out of a cast of characters, perpetrated the dastardly deed. Although the story is somewhat confusing at times, I sill enjoyed the fast pace and style (short chapters) of the book.

The housekeeper's decision to obey the kidnappers initial demands made no sense to me and when I finished the
joyce lynn
Sep 04, 2008 joyce lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i think this was Clark's best book yet, especially suspense-wise! was SSOOO good, i had a difficult time putting it down!! in fact ...

i didn't, last nite! picked it up, and continued to read, til i hit the last page!! if i'm grumpy, or fall asleep, w/ my children today while teaching them, it's all HER fault!!! 8^)

can't wait til she writes another one now, but ... alas, i must 8^(

oh yeah, and surprisingly enough, it did NOT make me homesick for NJ, NY, and/or Pa. could be the whole murder mess t
Keolani
Nov 10, 2008 Keolani rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: casual reader
I couldn't get myself to care about these characters in the slightest. Every couple of pages brought a new chapter and a new character. By the time I got remotely interested in what was going on the story switched gears. Instead of writing an intricate plot with twists and turns, Clark just threw in as many random, unnecessary characters that were difficult to keep straight, perhaps because I wasn't given a reason to care, and hoped that would be enough to keep the reader in suspense. I felt lik ...more
Athornton
Sep 09, 2010 Athornton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I originally picked up this book, thinking it was written by Mary Higgins Clark until I got home and realized it wasn't. I was originally not holding high hopes since I was disappointed thinking it wasn't one of my favorite authors. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was also a mystery book, written similarly to an MHC book. Easy to read and even a little curve ball at the end of the book but I actually read the last line and turned the page to see where the rest was. I thought it could ...more
Monica
Nov 22, 2010 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
hmmm..I'm not too sure how I feel about this novel. Throughout the whole book you are introduced to different characters who of course have somethng to do with the plot. The whole story alone is very suspenseful..keeps you guessing til the very end.
Now the end is what kind of surprised me. I feel that Clark built up so much suspense, just to leave the reader like "what the heck?" in the ending.

I would still recommend it to anyone who loves a great suspenseful novel. Overall the story was great.
Jamie Swanson
Jul 14, 2013 Jamie Swanson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"It Only Takes a Moment" is a really good suspense novel. It wasn't only a story line with a main character, it had you guessing every chapter. Every chapter was someone else's perspective, and it would seem like it was someone off the wall, but as the plot carried on, Mary Jane Clark made the tie to each person so detailed and interesting. I read the book in 3 days, could not put it down, it was too good! Only downside, I was disappointed on how it ended. The beginning and middle were pretty de ...more
Jodi
Nov 04, 2010 Jodi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: thrillers
Good, easy, fast-paced read about every parents' worst fear - a kidnapping. The book kept me guessing as to where the little girl was while I was reading and I was so disappointed when I learned who the kidnapper really was because I didn't want it to be her at all! I like the Zippy monkey in this book as my mother had one when she was a girl and then gave it to my brother along with a new Zippy monkey - such a funny yet pleasant memory from my childhood.
Tasha enderby
Jan 16, 2010 Tasha enderby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
This book will pull on the heart strings of any mother so have the tissue's ready. Just when the main charector of the book thinks she has it all, nice house, fancy job someone who has suffered a loss of a child comes in and takes it all away. she has lost her husband and now Janie her 10 year old daughter is kidnapped along with the house keeper and boy did this book keep me flipping pages. You have to know why and yes it does have a happy ending.
Monica
I read this book for one reason only, I am participating in the 2015 Reading Challenge and one of the requirements is to read a book by an author with the same initials. I even went as far as to find an author with the same middle initial as myself. Despite this fact, I will not be reading another by her. So many characters and yet we get very little closure with most of them. The ending is abrupt and annoying. Not a recommended read.
Lisa Lap
I liked this book. It was fast paced and returned characters from a previous storyline. MJC's writing style is always great for when you want a quick read book that keeps you guessing until the end.

I will admit that I think the jacket summary was misleading in that the "villain" in the story did not end up really having a personal connection to the main character but rather used her a means to an end. Still a good read. Finished it in less than a day.
Joni
May 24, 2009 Joni rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Usually I go for the Clark family when I need a little fluff. Well, this was way past fluff and I had to read the ending twice and I still don't know what really happened...Rhonda? Stephanie? Nell? Are they the same person? Are they the same person but in different times? No end of story wrap up, just saying that the one person was involved. I am so confused, and I don't easily confuse. Fluffy books shouldn't do this to you. However, I can't just say no to fluff...
Diane
Jan 02, 2010 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The story is good, with a complicated plot. However, there are too many superfulous characters that pop in and out. Some characters, such as Annabelle, are not developed enough to really tell if they are friend or foe with a motive. Without giving away the ending, I thought the ending was stupid, with no way for the reader to see it coming because of how the book is written (again, I don't want to spoil it).
2017 Reading Chal...: It Only Takes a Moment 1 13 Feb 01, 2015 09:51PM
The ending? 4 16 Nov 07, 2013 07:52PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: It Only Takes a Moment 1 2 May 25, 2012 04:33PM
  • The River Killings (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #2)
  • Cursed (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #12)
  • Nightmare in Shining Armor (Den of Antiquity, #8)
  • Death's Half Acre (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #14)
  • Variation on a Theme
  • Masquerade (Liz Sansborough, #1)
  • Pinned
  • Murder Among Friends (Kate Austen, #2)
  • A Higher Justice (The Trials of Kit Shannon #5)
  • First Lady Down
  • Halloween Murder (Lindy Haggerty, #4)
Mary Jane Clark is the author of thirteen novels, including 12 in the KEY News media thriller series, and one in her new Wedding Cake mystery series. A veteran writer and producer for CBS News, Clark worked for almost three decades at the network’s New York City headquarters. Her books are published in twenty-three languages. She lives in New Jersey and Florida.

Clark's former mother-in-law and sis
More about Mary Jane Clark...

KEY News (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Do You Want To Know A Secret? (KEY News #1)
  • Do You Promise Not To Tell? (KEY News #2)
  • Let Me Whisper In Your Ear (KEY News #3)
  • Close to You (KEY News #4)
  • Nobody Knows (KEY News #5)
  • Nowhere to Run (KEY News #6)
  • Hide Yourself Away (KEY News, #7)
  • Dancing in the Dark (KEY News #8)
  • Lights Out Tonight (KEY News, #9)
  • When Day Breaks (KEY News, #10; Sunrise Suspense Society #1)