Friend or Foe

Friend or Foe

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  538 ratings  ·  54 reviews
'There was nothing threatening or frightening about them, they were just two exhausted, pale-looking men with sad eyes and kind faces. These were the men who had bombed London and Plymouth and killed thousands. Yet one of them had saved his life.' It's the Second World War, and the Germans are bombing London. Everyone hates them, especially David: they killed his father. N...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Egmont (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Friend or Foe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Friend or Foe

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakNumber the Stars by Lois LowryThe Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John BoyneThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankEdelweiss Pirates ‘Operation Einstein' by Mark A. Cooper
Best Children's Books about World War II (1939-1945)
62nd out of 174 books — 172 voters
Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingI Capture the Castle by Dodie SmithThe Princess Diaries by Meg CabotThe Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 by Sue TownsendThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Best Diary Novels
105th out of 113 books — 141 voters

More lists with this book...

Katie
The Germans are bombing London and every day people are dying in the Blitz. Everyone at school hates the Germans, especially David because they killed his father and caused him to be evacuated from his home in Islington to Devon in the country to live with strangers. So when a German soldier rescues David and asks him for help, he is faced with a dilemma: to help the enemy or not?
Friend or Foe would be suitable for class based reading in year 4 and 5, and independent reading in year 6. The theme...more
Hannah Lassey
Cathy
Friend or Foe tells the story of David and Tucky, as they are evacuated to Exeter from Blitz torn London during the Second World War. We follow the two as they go through the heart rending process of being selected by their new carers, and then settling in to their new homes and schools. The experience is particularly difficult for David as he has already lost his father during the the war, and he is terrified of losing his mother too.
The peaceful world of rural Devon seems a million miles away...more
Kevin O'Driscoll
Michael Morpurgo is a world renowned children's author. Like many of his stories this tale is set in Britain during World War Two. Two boys, David and Tucky, leave London and move to the English countryside with their families to avoid the constant enemy bombings. When a German bomber crashes the two boys stumble upon the scene. While they feel that they should hate these men who survived the crash, they cannot. I think this book is well suited to upper KS2 children as the two boys in the story...more
I did this book with my Year 4 class on school experience and they loved it. I really enjoyed it too :) It's about two evacuees, David and Tucky, who are evacuated from London to the countryside during the war. While they think they are far from the reality of war, one night they come across an injured German soldier. Gun-flashes, the distant crump of bombing miles away soon brings the war to their doorstep and shatters their new-found peace. This book allowed children to develop their knowledge...more
Dave Gaffney
This book tells the story of two evacuees, David and Tucky, who find themselves whisked from London and the blitz to a sleepy village in Devon. The first part of the book deals with the boys’ anxiety about leaving home and all things familiar to them.
Luckily, they land on their feet and are ‘adopted’ by a friendly farming couple. As they are settling into rural life, the war is brought back to them when a German bomber crash lands in the moorland behind their new home. When one of the surviving...more
Jenny
Friend or Foe by Michael Morpurgo

It’s World War 2 (WW2) and the Germans are bombing London. Everyone is being evacuated, no one knows how long the war will last or if they will ever see their families again. David and his friend Tucky from school have just been evacuated to live with strangers on a farm in Devon. At the age of 10, David has already lost his father to the War and he is now also being separated from his mother.

David and Tucky soon settle into their new lives in the countryside as...more
Anne
Friend Or Foe is one of Michael Morpurgo's earliest books, written and first published in 1977. This is the ideal story to read during November, the month of Rememberance Day. Aimed at older children, the story centres around two London school boys, David and Tucky. The two boys are evacuees and are living on a farm on the moors of Devon.
David's Father has been dead for a year, shot down by a German plane - David hates the Germans. The two boys find themselves living with a kind and caring and...more
Derek
The Germans are bombing London and every day people are dying in the Blitz. Everyone hates them, especially David because they killed his father and caused him to be sent to the country to live with strangers. So when a German soldier rescues David and asks him for help, he is faced with a dilemma.

I liked this book because of its beautiful descriptions of the way David is sent away to live with the strangers on the Devon Farm. A very compelling book, it always forced me to read on! Alas, this is...more
Emmy
We read this book in year 4 and found it interesting and great. David is an evacuated to Devon from London with his best friend Tony Tucker. They get put in a nice home but one day when they find an interesting discovery what could change his life for ever.
Historical fiction by Michel Morpurgo, who has written many other books, including warhorse, and will defiantly become one of his most acclaimed books.
Powerfulbookman
I felt this book was interesting yet not much was going on!
It played with the idea that the germans were just people like you and me- but strangely enough I found this book to lose me near the middle. The first part was full of fun and adventure yet sadness. But sadly, it lacked in the midddle.
Alltoghether I found this book to be slightly intruiguing yet dissapointing.2/5
Gail Jones

This is a simple little story of two boys evacuated from London to the countryside. It covers the emotional parting, the nerves of new experiences and some great country characters.

When the boys see a German plane come down over the moors they have a heard time getting the locals to believe them, especially as no plane or Germans can be found despite an exhaustive search. However, later when one of the boys falls in the river and is rescued by one of the Germans the boys have a dilemma. Do they...more
Ann
Beautifully written story of two boys evacuated to Devon during WW2. Touches on issues of friendships, kindness, enemies and war from a civilians perspective. Planning to use this as a study unit for Year 6 EAL Guided Reading.
Julzz
Friend or Foe was a book I enjoyed reading.I liked this book because I find war novels really interesting and it was really well written.Personally,I think it is a classic war novel.When reading this book I found myself getting a deeper understanding of life for a world war evacuee.
This is a book I would recommend to younger children who enjoy war novels.
Imaan
I enjoyed reading this book, It was quite interesting to see what someone's life would be like if they had to move to the countryside.
Kai Adams
i have read this book thousands of times and every time i read it i find it really exiting
Henry
I like this book because I like the setting of the book and how the story developed. I would like to recommend this book to children that are below thirteen years old so they can feel the ways that the two boys in the book felt. My favorite part was when the two boys were helping the two German because I felt surprised why the kids helped the two German but the German attacked their country. If I am in the story I will do the same thing . The two boys in the story were believable I actually thin...more
Jack
For book reviews and more, please visit my book blog, The Book Stop

Boring! A very unrealistic story line. There was no climax and it was very bland. I didn't expect much anyway. I was yawning throughout the whole story. The characters were annoying and unlikable. At least it wasn't the worst book i read. Overall, a short read that I won't be reading again.
Abbey
I bought this book recently after being reminded of enjoying it as a child. Michael Morpurgo's books are enchanting and thought provoking for any age group and this one is no exception. 'Friend or Foe' is a powerful story with great morals. The only problem I would have with it as an adult reader is that it's very short and quick paced, thus a perfect children's book.
Emma
A great book about life as an evacuee during the second world war. David and Tucky travel with the rest of their school to Devon where they are taken in by Mr Reynolds and his wife, Ann. I like how Morpurgo covers issues such as 'fitting in' in a new environment and the moral issues of when a German bomber saves David's life.

A good read and not disappointed.
Kingfan30
As always a brilliant book, the thing I love about this writer is that he takes difficult situations and makes them easy for children to understand but enjoyable at the same time for any reader old or young. I started this last night before bed, but could not quite get through it, my eyes would just not stay open so had to finish the last 20 pages this morning.
Lucía
This was a typical, predictable story set in war times. It was very easy to guess what was coming next and even though there really was war times it was not that realistic. I don't think Michael Morpurgo did a good job of describing the characters either. I would rate this book 3 out of 10 and would not recommend.
William
This book is about two friends that are evacuees in London and have to move to a small village and have to live together. A few weeks after they arrive the spot planes bombing Plymouth in england and a small german bomber crash behind the moor and they go out looking to see if it did crash.
Lydia Mckane!
Friend or Foe is a wonderful tale of two young boys called David and Tucky who set off to the country after being evacuated from London. Set during the Blitz in World War ll, Michael describes the country in a certain way as to grab your attention and draw you in, as should all books.
Pauline
Started this book about an hour ago so not a long read. I read it as it is Remembrance Sunday and this is based during the war.I. really think that books by this author should be on the school curriculum as there is always something to learn from them.
Harjot Samra
i love this book. i love to learn about the war, and i love aircrafts and pillots. it was a small book that i finished like in a hour but it was worth it. it would have been better if the story was longer and more developed. everyone should read it.
Hannah Bird
This is an amazing book as it shows how not everyone is a foe and that it doesnt matter were you come from it is about what is in the heart. I really enjoyed the book from start to finish!
Tanja
Another great piece of historical fiction by Michael Morpurgo - thought-provoking! If used as a read-aloud in class or as a literature circle book it will surely spark heated discussions.
Hidayah Bani
This book is interesting, rich with moral values, patriotism and friendship. Have read this book approximately 2 hours because the pace of the story is fast and engaging.
  • More William (Just William, #2)
  • Strange Meeting
  • Just Henry
  • Blood Brothers
  • The Shell House
  • The Slimy Stuarts (Horrible Histories)
  • Mr Stink
  • Pig-Heart Boy
  • The 26-Storey Treehouse
  • Purgatory: A Novel of the Civil War
  • The Beauty Chorus
  • Hetty Feather
  • The Machine-Gunners
  • Louis Braille: The Boy Who Invented Books for the Blind
  • I Know What You Did Last Wednesday (Diamond Brothers, #6)
  • Jää
  • The Carnivorous Lamb
  • Good Night, Maman
Michael Morpurgo is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the war, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, he took up teaching and started to...more
More about Michael Morpurgo...
War Horse (War Horse, #1) Private Peaceful Kensuke's Kingdom The Butterfly Lion The Amazing Story of Adolphus Tips