Sagebrush

Sagebrush

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Still half asleep, Michael looked up at his parents sitting on the buckboard of their covered wagon and saw an arrow penetrate his father's chest. Then he saw his mother being dragged from the wagon by two Indians. His mother fell from the wagon and disappeared from his sight and from his life forever. Now he was all alone.
Published December 25th 2010 by William Wayne "Bill" Dicksion, via Smashwords (first published February 20th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sagebrush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sagebrush

Rebecca
There are so many editions of this book that it's hard to know whether I picked the right one. At least they are merged here in terms of reviews, unlike Amazon, where there are several separately rated variants and it took me forever to find the one it actually recognized I had downloaded.

I gave up at 34% and no way I am wasting another moment on it.

I started this one late at night when I couldn't sleep. And it made me mad so many times. First off, the writing is awkward. Then we get the absolut...more
Cindy
Since the premise is a little far-fetched, it's hard to read. Past that, it becomes a little predictable. The descriptions and voice are pretty good though.
Garth Mailman
Disingenuous of Amazon to simultaneously have for sale a paid and free edition of the same book especially when you have to scroll down to find the free edition. Since 12-year-old Michael is orphaned and isolated from other human contact for 6 years in hostile Indian Territory during pre-settlement times the story needs-must be told from his point of view at least in the opening chapters. But as others have complained the writing style is highly clinical much as one would expect if one were read...more
Linda
An interesting story. A young boy traveling west with his parents is left to survive on his own after an Indian attack leaves both parents dead. It reads like a story from the early 1950's, when the heroes were tall, handsome, bigger-than-life and able to do anything and the heroines were rich, beautiful and extremely capable...but I like romantic historical fiction! The boy grows up to be super-natureboy, saves the beautiful lady's ranch and wins her heart. along with the awe and respect of all...more
Sally
This book was okay for a young adult. It was rather repetitious, it made me look back to see if my pages had flipped, but no. The author just repeated details. The main character was unbelievable. His parents were killed in an Indian attack when he was twelve, yet he later credits his father with designing a hidden compartment in a wagon for valuables and a method for turning the wagon into a fortress if attacked, however, they were traveling to Santa Fe, New mexico without these improvements. H...more
Donna
This book is a lesson in finding this young mans self. Seeing both of his parents die to living over six years by himself. The thought process that he went through during all that time alone. I really enjoyed the details that the author added especially during that time frame was excellant. I grew up in New Mexico and the only tribe that was not mentioned was the Jemez tribe, just to the southwest of Santa Fe. This is a beautiful love story with lots of twists and turns. Mystery, rustling, attem...more
Melba
Jan 29, 2014 Melba rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Western lovers
This was a very interesting book, filled with action & suspense.
Mary Ann
There is actually the skeleton of a good story embedded in this book, and that is what kept me reading. It makes me wonder if this is one of the author's early works. The main character never makes a mistake that sets him back, which is actually quite amazing since he must survive in Indian teritory by himself from the age of 12. Even Brian in Hatchet made mistakes that nearly cost him is life, and that was for a much shorter time period!
Diana Marie
This book was wonderful! It's one of those books that you read and enjoy it so much that you want to read it again..So I did! I read it to my son and he loved it as much as I do. We learned a lot about the frontier days and what it was like. I think this was a free nook book...I enjoyed this author so much, that I paid for another nook book "A Man Called Ty" and enjoyed that, as well...
Gina Basham
I could not finish this book. I got about 23% through it... I almost never do not finish a book but this was beyond painful. I could see the attack, the child fending for himself etc. The skills the child possessed defied belief. Forging steel in a cave? Using a sextant? A 12 year old suddenly turns into the MacGyver of wilderness survival. Sorry, couldn't recommend and couldn't finish.
Nancy Flowers
I really liked the story idea but the writing just wasn't very good. I tried and read about a third of it but just couldn't keep reading. Too many inconsistencies just in the part I read. How does he communicate with Evening Star? They don't speak the same language? As near as I can tell Native American girls didn't have "girlfriends". Things like that.
Connie Whisler
If you just want an rather mindless, easy read this is the book for you. Otherwise tedious, far fetched, totally predictable scenarios, and a too perfect to be believed hero are a few words to describe this book. There is no depth to the story at all. You know what's coming with each page you turn. There are no surprises. It's a thumbs down from me!
Mary
This was a powerful story, simply told. The scenery described throughout told as much of the story as the dialogue. The scenes and action were almost too much to believe, but I felt the story unfolded at a good pace without dwelling on the violence or intensity. A much different look at a time in America's past when 'civilization' was expanding westward.
Julie Pedersen witt
I don't like to do reviews that are less than glowing, but this book was just too predictable and unbelievable. I finished it to make sure, but I could have told you the likely ending by the end of a few chapters. Hats off to authors who are brave enough to put their work out there for us to read, though. I'm not brave enough to do that.
Gophergirl58
The story itself was a little unbelievable on some of the events - Sage was kind of a super guy, LOL - but I still enjoyed it.
Kay
This book started off great with the writing detailed and exciting. Toward the mid portion of the book the writing became a bit stiff, with short, blunt sentences which took all the excitement out of the story line. Choppy & a bit boring writing took all the fun out of the story.
Rita
An interesting story, badly edited. This book is too long by at least 30%. The language is stilted, and the author repeats parts of the plot as the story moves along. So, the story moves slowly. Might be a good read for a young adult, with lots of patience.
Sylvie O'rourke
It was an entertaining read but I felt the hero was unrealistic in his perfection. He seemed flawless and without setbacks. Because of that the story lacked in suspense and fell flat for me.
Ashton Christie
Entertaining but too pat...in that what little conflict the hero encountered he won easily and without much strife. A fun read. Don't look for too much depth.
Tom
Not ready for prime time. Unless you're looking for a "feel good" story written at (and for) a young teen or pre-teen level.
Daniel
Excellent journey throughout the wilderness from the eyes of a child. The learning process is so real. Wish there was a series.
Dottie
This was a quick read without much commitment for the reader, very predictable.
Jean
It was a good short read. Kept me hooked to see what happened next.
Barry
An interesting story that keeps you interested.
Bill Davis
Simplistic, stilted writing style.
Jacqueline
good old fashioned values....
Stan
Enjoyable read!
Randall Brown
Great adventure.
  • Dance With A Gunfighter
  • Untamed Journey
  • Abby: Mail Order Bride (Unconventional, #1)
  • Hanchart Land
  • Hannah's Vow
  • Much Ado About Marshals
  • Texas Twilight (McCutcheon Family, #2)
  • The Rancher (Redbourne Series, #1)
  • Under a Texas Star
  • Under the Black  Ensign: A Pirate Adventure of Loot, Love and War on the Open Seas
  • The Bad Ass Brigade
  • His Prairie Princess (Prairie Brides #1)
  • Luke (The Cowboys, #8)
  • The Lawman (Willow Creek #1)
  • A Cowboy for Christmas
  • Shadow Walker (Flame Set, #2)
  • Lady Gone Bad (Gone Bad, #1)
  • Quail Crossings
William Wayne "Bill" Dicksion's ancestors migrated to the American frontier in the seventeenth century. As a boy, he loved the stories his grandparents told about that great adventure. Writing is his way of sharing those stories. He is educated in science and literature. His other interests are geography, history, philosophy, and anthropology. His writing reflects these interests. He and his wife...more
More about William Wayne Dicksion...
Puma Son of Mountain Lion Beyond the Valley of Mist Danny A Man Called Ty Legend of the Lost

“plants” 0 likes