Killing Monsters: Our Children's Need for Fantasy, Heroism, and Make-Believe Violence

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  49 reviews
From a veteran creator of children's entertainment, an insider's view of how even the most violent games and TV shows can help children conquer fears and develop a bold sense of self.
Published August 1st 2008 by Basic Books (AZ) (first published 2002)

Mike (the Paladin)
Originally reviewed in Dec. 2011. Updating to correct a couple of typos Nov. 2012.

I've read on this subject often. As noted before I grew up in the '50s and had dozens of cap guns. I sported "Fanner Fiftys" (yes I know it should be "fifties" but the "Fanner Fifty" was a trademarked product of Mattel) in the "Two-Gun" rig. I had the Buffalo Hunter set that came with a six-gun, a Winchester that shot "Shootin' Shells" and came with a plastic skinning knife, complete with stag horn grips on pistol...more
Karen Brooks
This is a terrific book that puts in sensible perspective irrational adult fears around kids and their play. Jones asks the question, why do so many healthy (psychologically and physically) 'normal' kids like fantasy violence and imaginary rough play so much? It's a great question which he then explores examining a range of pop culture forms from films, TV shows, video games and toys - from Star Wars to Harry Potter.
Fantasy is about escaping the strictures and controls of everyday life and captu...more
Ashanti Miller
The book has a good premise and setup, but I am getting bored as the author reiterates the same information and over and over. I am reading this book to understand my industry better. I work as an animator and since the early 2000's the stories have focused on themes that concern boys. I am perplexed with the attraction to violence--especially explosions and wimpy heroes. This book is a window into young male psyche.

According to the author, boys need a fantasy monsters to conquer because they ca...more
Tina
This was an interesting read. I don't have kids, but it sounded like a good book nonetheless and I'm glad I read it. It actually gave me a unique perspective on why I liked the things I liked when I was a child and I can appreciate them in a different light.

Good discussion on how media is an outlet and how we need fantasy, even into adulthood. I especially liked his discussion of video games since I find gaming a perfect outlet for negative emotions. An artificial environment where one can shoot...more
Andrea
I highly recommend this book for parents, psychology students, and teachers. I'm not even going to try to sum this book up in a few lines, because it is just that good. Suffice to say that it really put my mind at ease about my son's fascination with GI Joes and "war stuff" like military aircraft books. It is even applicable to those interested in sociology in that our fascination with these things as children continues into adulthood. It is a part of our society. I did a report on this book for...more
Ben
While the intention of this book is to explain and explore the value of different types of violent entertainment for kids, I ended up gaining insight into myself. As Jones discusses the ways kids use violent entertainment to safely explore their own violent feelings, to find a sense of control in a chaotic and out of control world, to relieve stress in a risk free environment, I found myself realizing why I had been (and still am) drawn to this type of entertainment. Like almost everyone, there...more
Christian
This is an important book, one that should be read by every parent and teacher. In clear language it lays out what most kids and geeks intuitively know - that violence in toys & cartoons & games doesn't make kids more violent but rather provides a healthy outlet for aggression and fear.

The author emphasizes the value of talking to kids to find out why violent media appeals to them and so teases out some great stories. His son integrates Teletubbies and Power Rangers into one world, combi...more
Claudia
This book is an absolute must-read for anyone with kids, especially for those of us who have loudly proclaimed that they will never let toy guns in the house. The author shows how pretend violence is a vital tool for children to work out their fears, and that repressing all violent thoughts and urges is likely to do more harm than good.
Scott Robins
Started out interesting but felt it was saying the same things over and over again. Moved beyond what I had expected the book to be.
Kathryn Thompson
This is the book that made me chill out about Dan playing Call of Duty and the kids wanting to play "Bad Guys." He does a good job of digging into the studies that warn against media violence and explaining the way they were conducted and how the research isn't always what it seems.

I was really skeptical to read this book because I thought it was Dan trying to justify letting the kids play with wooden swords. It sort of was but I find that I agree with him. Fantasy violence (to an extent) helps...more
Jamie
You can't expect to agree with everything in a book like this, and I didn't. I needed to read on this topic, though, and I think I'll continue to do so. I would recommend this book to all parents with children entering their preschool years, but especially for parents who were like me- uncomfortable with toy weaponry, rough and tumble play, or the negative emotions their children are exploring. Reading Jones' perspective definitely helped me work through that.

Though this book helped me come to t...more
Jeremy
Aug 14, 2008 Jeremy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gaming parents
Violent games, movies and comics are good for children according to the author of Killing Monsters, Gerard Jones, and blaming it for problems can affect emotional development. I'm not sure about the being good for children part, but he makes a good case for the importance of this type of thing while they are growing up. His biggest reason is that fantasy in media is a safe place for kids to learn how to deal with violence, fear and the emotions that go along with it. When they encounter these ty...more
Jamie
The full title of the book here is Killing Monsters: Why Children Need Fantasy, Super Heroes, and Make-Believe Violence, and in it author Gerard Jones works out a thesis that exposure to violence --especially fantasy violence-- is not unhealthy to children, but actually critical to proper emotional, social, and mental development. It's the inverse of the "violent media makes violent kids" angle that most of us are used to hearing, and it's fairly interesting.

Basically, Gerard's book boils down t...more
Pete Welter
While I never bought into the "violent media makes all kids violent" idea - conflicting research and too many counter-examples - Jones explores the topic in great depth. It definitely expanded my thinking on the topic, moving me from the "it doesn't hurt anything" to an appreciation of the important function of make-believe violence in kids' development. There's a reason make-believe violence is universal and timeless, and it's not just entertainment.

One of his major points is that as adults, we...more
Christopher
I'm not 100% sure how to feel about this book. Many sections do feel right on, speaking about the usefulness of violent and intense entertainment as catharsis for children. This calls all the way to Plato vs. Aristotle where Plato wanted to ban entertainers from his utopian Republic because they might give the populace dangerous ideas and Aristotle supporting katharsis (in the Greek).

Was I injured by my mother's "no guns" policy? I certainly worked around it... 1 squirt gun per summer meant I go...more
Winddancer
Still reading, but so far rather compelling arguments for make-believe violence in children's play and lives. My only question for this book so far is that, early on the author makes a point that the violence in media isn't all appropriate for every child, but it's not clear to me how that is supported through the chapters so far. A lot of what the author proports makes sense, though, especially as I see kids play with things they can't control or are afraid of. Play makes these big scary feelin...more
Carol Mann Agency
From Publishers Weekly

"Violent entertainment is good for kids, and demonizing it can do great harm to their emotional development, claims Jones (Honey, I'm Home!) in this provocative and groundbreaking work. Drawing on his experience as a parent and as a creator of children's cartoons, as well as interviews with dozens of psychologists and educators, Jones forcefully argues that violent video games, movies, music and comics provide a safe fantasy world within which children learn to become famil...more
Frank Jude
This is a really good, thought-provoking and necessary book! Jones goes beyond the superficial surface that most discussion or rather knee-jerk debating about media and media portrayals of violence generally skim! He makes many important points, but two that particularly resonated with me is when he points out that adults, anxious about violence in media, are often so because they tend to blur fantasy and reality! It's the parents, not the children who do this!

His point that we should rather qu...more
Katie
Loved this perspective! Surprisingly enough, kids need to act out violence to deal with their anxieties. It helps them cope with the real violence and crazy things going on around them. Let your kid have toy guns and swords, let them watch Star Wars, and let them play violent video games. All these things are good in moderation, just like everything else. They allow kids to express their feelings in a safe environment and allows them to cope with life. I would recommend this to anyone who has he...more
This was a good defense of superheroes, though the writer is a comic writer so he's not exactly unbiased. I read this because I learned some schools were banning superheroes, and I wanted to find out why. I couldn't find out why superheroes were considered 'bad' so I figured I'd check out why they could be helpful. The arguments in this book are good, but kind of went along the lines of what I thought anyway.

Worth checking out if you're a parent of a hero-worshiper. Very funny, with lots of pop...more
Evan
Jones argues that fantasy violence is more than okay for children, it's helpful, perhaps essential. Although he does allow for people becoming trapped in fantasy and the need for balance, he sees a large problem with the adult world constantly judging what for many kids is an important form of release and self expression. Adults mistake fantasy play for actual violence and in the end, many kids are confused and frustrated. A very interesting read.
Luca
Eye-opening and pragmatic defense of "violent" (although I'd rather say "action-packed") children's entertainment by Gerard Jones, comic book historian and organizer of international kids & media workshops. Jones' friendly, rational, well-sourced arguments never devolve into finger-pointing, but instead are based on years of experience in working with kids from all kinds of social backgrounds.

Must-read for anyone who works with kids or teenagers.
Ross
Brilliant rebuttal to the buck-passing that too often occurs when parents whish to absolve themselves from the responsibilities of child rearing by blaming media influences. Jones takes time to examine findings from various studies with the expressed interest in discovering what is useful to growing children, not just proving his opposition wrong. An important difference in focus, that.
Cristiano Santos
Whenever I’m asked about what’s the earliest memory of my childhood that I recall, I always say that it is me, a 4-5 years old boy, sitting on the living room ground playing video games in a very small black-and-white television. This book made me remember every piece of my early days and it will probably influence how I will be in the future when I have kids.
Brian McLachlan
Gerard Jones has a lot of insightful ideas on how children and teens consume violent, scary, and sexy stories. There are lots of good examples of how to engage with your children in regards to genre fiction, and even how to write it. I would give it 5 stars but Jones' writing style seemed a bit clumsy, or at least didn't flow in a way in which my mind works.
Joseph R.
I finally finished this and am working on a review for my blog, which should be up soon!

UPDATE: Here is the review on my blog. Enjoy!
Marla
This book helped to explain why my shy, quiet, 4-year-old daughter enjoys playing with swords, knights, pirates, vikings and fighting in general and why these activities are valuable to her. I can even appreciate the value of video games and other media (in moderation).
Wayland Smith
Really good, thought provoking read. Puts some actual reason into the issue about kids and violent media. I was fascinated, I don't have kids, nor am I going to. I strongly recommend this one to all parents, and pretty much anyone else for that matter.
Andrew
Cogent, sophisticated arguments about the role of violence, fantasy and emotional coping mechanisms in growing children.

Jones asks deeper questions of why children are attracted to violence, and comes up with some convincing conclusions.
Shawna
one of the BEST books ive ever read about children.
even if you just know a little person, from a distance, read this.
brilliant rebuttal for every idiot that thinks a plastic sword, or playing power rangers corrupts society.
  • What Video Games Have to Teach Us about Learning and Literacy
  • The Case For Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World
  • Sham: How the Self-Help Movement Made America Helpless
  • Snake Oil Science: The Truth about Complementary and Alternative Medicine
  • Challenges for Game Designers
  • A Theory of Fun for Game Design
  • It's OK Not to Share and Other Renegade Rules for Raising Competent and Compassionate Kids
  • Parenting Without Borders: Surprising Lessons Parents Around the World Can Teach Us
  • Sharing Nature with Children: The Classic Parents' & Teachers' Nature Awareness Guidebook
  • Respectful Parents, Respectful Kids: 7 Keys to Turn Family Conflict into Cooperation
  • The No-Cry Potty Training Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Child Say Good-Bye to Diapers
  • Our Babies, Ourselves: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent
  • I Love You Rituals
  • Persuasive Games: The Expressive Power of Videogames
  • The Successful Child: What Parents Can Do to Help Kids Turn Out Well
  • Teach Me to Do It Myself: Montessori Activities for You and Your Child
  • Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals
  • Under Pressure: Rescuing Childhood from the Culture of Hyper-Parenting
Gerard Jones is an award-winning American author and comic book writer. From 1987 to 2001, Jones wrote many comic books for Marvel Comics, DC Comics, Dark Horse Comics, Viz Media, Malibu Comics and other publishers; including Green Lantern, Justice League, Prime, Ultraforce, El Diablo, Wonder Man, Martian Manhunter, Elongated Man, The Shadow, Pokémon, and Batman.

Jones is author of the Eisner Award...more
More about Gerard Jones...
Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters, and the Birth of the Comic Book Green Lantern: The Road Back Batman: Fortunate Son Boys Over Flowers 7: Hana Yori Dango The Comic Book Heroes: The First History of Modern Comic Books - From the Silver Age to the Present

“We all know starry-eyed romantics like love stories, but few would argue early and intense exposure to sappy melodrama causes a romantic temperament.” 2 likes