Start by marking “The Turmoil (Dodo Press)” as Want to Read:
The Turmoil (Dodo Press)
read book* *Different edition

The Turmoil (The Growth Trilogy #1)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A novel in the tradition of those of Sherwood Anderson and Sinclair Lewis, The Turmoil is set in what was once a small, quiet city - never named but closely resembling the author's hometown of Indianapolis - that has been rapidly transformed into a bustling, money-making nest of competitors overrun by "the worshippers of Bigness."

The Turmoil tells the intertwined stories o

Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1915)

To ask other readers questions about The Turmoil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Turmoil

Marcus
I read The Turmoil because it's the first in a three book series, the second of which is The Magnificent Ambersons, a Pulitzer winner. I'd also previously read Tarkington's Penrod which became one of my all-time favorites. So, how did The Turmoil stack up? It's not hilarious as Penrod, though there are some really funny parts. It's also not as much of a vocabulary lesson, but it definitely stands on its own as a book worth reading. It took some time to grow on me, but grow on me it did, and by t ...more
Dave
“The Turmoil” by Booth Tarkington, was the first novel in what would become the “Growth” trilogy. Originally published in 1915, “The Turmoil” takes place in a fictional mid-west city which is never named, but which is probably modeled on Indianapolis. The name of the trilogy is appropriate, not only because these novels deal with the growth in the country, and the affect of industrialization on society, but also with Tarkington’s growth as a writer which appears to have come from his taking time ...more
Joseph Whitt
My quest to read all fiction Pulitzer's hit an early road bump since The Magnificent Ambersons is the second in a trilogy. The Turmoil is the first and depicts a period of time in the life of the Sheridan's and more precisely the lives and relationship of Mr. Sheridan and his youngest son and heir, Bibbs.

The Sheridan's are a newly wealthy family fresh on the success of Mr. Sheridan's business savvy. Already with two sons and a daughter, Bibbs quickly becomes the outcast of the family. Even his
Karen Chung
I choose this book because I'd just downloaded all the Librivox audio files for Joyce's Ulysses - then found I couldn't stomach it. Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man was a demanding listen, but I ultimately appreciated it. Not so with Ulysses. Moby-Dick was a Sunday picnic by comparison. Maybe sometime in the future - not now. I decided to look for something else.

I went to the Librivox catalog and starting browsing the "A"s. It turned out to be a lousy place to start looking for a normal ki
Rock
Reading this I got the sense of a young man trying to take down his whole surroundings, and the great thing is he nearly succeeds. There’s something sort of naive and juvenile in his determination to make this charging, heaving, American machine take a breath and a look in the mirror, but he does it with a passion that’s charming. Also great descriptions of chaotic streets and industrial cityscapes.
L.  (I hate fake reviews)
On the whole I like Booth Tarkington's work but this one was a miss for me.
Kim Daniel
I absolutely loved this novel about a family caught up by wealth and the American Dream.
Susan Haines
Liked it unexpectedly! Only read it when I realized the book I'd already started, The Magnificent Ambersons, was number 2 of a trilogy and I hadn't read number 1. I love when a book written so long ago fits in with current culture so seamlessly. I guess love of money and pursuit of more, bigger, better has been around a long time.
Lynne
Better than I expected. The first in a trilogy with The Magnificent Ambersons next. I'll have to hunt that one up at the Tacoma Bookstore. This is a story of a wealthy father who systematically alienates his children one by one with his unrealistic expectations. The quarrels and shouting at each other seemed quite realistic, even though it was published in 1915.
John
The Turmoil by booth Tarkington is about two families in a mid-west city during the beginning of 20th century. One family, is part of the rising class of industrialists who are just coming to power and the other is part of the old-money genteel class who are falling. I found the book to be pretty good and look forward to reading the rest of the trilogy.
Steve Sarrica
A fun, if utterly predictable, look at a new money family at the beginning of the Industrial Age in the US. Most of the characterizations are cartoonish at best, with the scion of the Sheridan family being the sterling example. Enjoyable as a period piece. I'm wondering if "The Magnificent Ambersons" will come off better.
Lynne
This is the other book I picked up in front of the Diller Library on a table that said "free books - please take", along what turned out to be an American first edition of "The Edwardians". This looks to be a 1915 edition. The crazy Diller Library!

I am glad to see it is part of a trilogy.
Meleya
I really loved this book, the first in the Growth Trilogy by Booth Tarkington. Many of the issues presented in this series are still valid issues of today and the characters are very real. A real tear-jerker in the end and a great read.
Joan Thompson
This heavy going in parts but overall it was interesting to read. There are long parts of description that are hard to read, but scimmed through these.
Emilie
I am glad I discovered this mostly forgotten turn-of-the-century novelist... I'm kinda hooked on these quick reads!
george weyant
george weyant marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Christie Stratos
Christie Stratos marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Don.kixot
Don.kixot marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Elizabeth Crafts
Elizabeth Crafts marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
E.v. Sage
E.v. Sage marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Sathya
Sathya marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Thing Two
Thing Two marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Rebekah
Rebekah is currently reading it
Dec 15, 2014
Marisol Vazquez
Marisol Vazquez marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Ardi
Ardi marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
  • Star Dragon
  • The Metal Monster
  • William - An Englishman
  • Gladiator
  • The Infinite Sea (The Chaos Chronicles, #3)
  • Move Under Ground
  • Everyone in Silico
  • The Log of a Cowboy: A Narrative of the Old Trail Days
  • The Complete Tales of Nikolai Gogol, Volume 1
  • Virgin Soil
Booth Tarkington was an American novelist and dramatist best known for his Pulitzer Prize-winning novels The Magnificent Ambersons and Alice Adams.
More about Booth Tarkington...
The Magnificent Ambersons (The Growth Trilogy, #2) Alice Adams Penrod Seventeen Penrod and Sam