Night Train at Deoli: And Other Stories

Night Train at Deoli: And Other Stories

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  1,578 ratings  ·  54 reviews
The best of a lifetime of stories from a short story writer of rare distinction.

Ruskin Bond’s stories are predominantly set in the beautiful hill country of Garhwal where he has made his home for the last twenty-five years. Some of these stories present people who, consciously or otherwise, need each other: people in love or in need of love, the awkward adolescent and the...more
Published October 14th 2000 by Penguin Books (first published 1988)

Angelica Watson (psst! amrutha)
Ruskin Bond is a lovely English writer. He describes indian life and our country's natural beauties, in great detail with wonderful intricacy. His Rusty series for children was authentic and very meaningful. His books make you feel like your close to him and he's whispering his thoughts, personal views to you. He paints beautiful pictures in your mind, making you literally live in the world of his words.

A simply excellent writer, one of my favorites!!! :P: :D
Amogha
Of love, of innocence, of loneliness, of hills, of grandparents, of trees, bees and butterflies, of the rain, of the sun, of girls with big black eyes, of love-struck boys, of trains, of you and of me - That's what this set of stories is about. Ruskin Bond has woven magic into words that are definite to send the reader into a time warp and beg for the romanticism of the old days to make its appearance again.
How I wish !
Kanupriya Kothiwal
Ruskin Bond stories have been a delight to those who wish to savour a sip from the wine of bygone era! His stories, mostly set in the small towns in the hills( Dehra,Shimla) serve as a retrospective of the past. Ruskin Bond is most famously known for his very good psychology for school going kids and that is what probably reflected in his stories.

A bonding of a lonely school school kid, Arun and a mysterious lady who showers her motherly love( The Woman on Platform No.8), The old spinster who f...more
Dhiraj Sharma
Night Train at Deoli is a collection of 30 short stories of Ruskin Bond.

The stories are simple and thought provoking and pertain to the time the author spent as a child and teenager in the foothills of Himalayas i.e Dehra and Mussorrie.
Most of the stories run into 2 or 3 pages. There are a couple of them which were part of my English syllabus while I was studying in school.

As Bond himself mentions in the preface of the book, his stories are not about espionage, mystery, suspense or murder. Rath...more
Mimi
I really really loved this story , i found it quite sad though but it's just amazing how he kept waiting for her and dreaming about her , it's like i couldn't get enough from the story and wanted to read more !
Souvik Jana
A simple soothing story,,,takes reader out of daily complexity of life,,make reader lonely at a quiet village
Tanaz
Ruskin Bond is one of those few writers who makes writing look ridiculously easy. Brilliant.
Kavitha Rajendran
An excellent presentation of story ...................... enjoyed reading it..........
Ishan
Short stories and me, we've always had a precarious relationship.

The good one, and the ones that are good, are truly rare will touch your heart and mind in ways unimaginable, but the ones that exist otherwise, won't. Instead, more often than not, they leave a want, a hunger for more that sadly, isn't ever satiated.

Ruskin, falls in the former. Indeed, he's a seasoned fellow and knows not any else than to be great.
Anjana
Memories well portrayed by Ruskin bond. He paints beautiful pictures in your mind, making you literally live in the world of his words. An excellent writer, one of my favourite!!!
Bhakti
this book is awsome....i love it
Lahari Goswami
Every story is enchanting!
Shweta
After a marathon of reading heavy books (by heavy I mean the ‘theme’ and not the weight/length) and a barrage of unpleasant news thrown at me via newspapers and television, I wanted to read something simple. Not light or funny necessarily, but ‘Simple’ that is devoid of any complex twist and turns. And Ruskin Bond’s The Night Train at Deoli and Other Stories did the trick for me.

It took me back to my school days, when each year I would eagerly look forward to read stories in my English textbook...more
Vinny
I read The Night Train at Deoli two years back in my English textbook and fell in love with the story and the writing as well. It was so simple and yet so charming. I've wanted to read all these short stories ever since. Once I started reading the book I couldn't put it down. The more I read, one story after another, more I was engrossed in a beautiful world. If I'm asked what's special Bond's stories it would undoubtedly be the simplicity of them. All of us encounter with lots of small events e...more
Indiabookstore
The central theme of all the stories in Night Train at Deoli and Other Stories is ‘Love’ in some shape, size or form. To name a few, he touches upon love for one’s hometown & the yearning for childhood, he explores the instant connection and love at times we feel for some strangers you meet on long journeys and he pays tribute to sweet-bitter pain of unrequited love. For more about the book, go to http://www.indiabookstore.net/bookish...
Praveen
A beautiful collection of short stories by Ruskin Bond.

Each story in itself is an emotional journey.

Such an exemplary writing that makes you feel the motherly love from a random woman on platform 8, makes you laugh out loud at the Pipalnagar bank that got broke overnight, lets you dream about the graceful girl with dark eyes selling baskets on the lonely platform at Deoli, makes you yearn for a friend like Suraj in a small town like Pipalnagar, makes you wonder if Monkeys really have an afterli...more
Kavita Sharma
No creases on the bed-sheet... The sweet fragrance of ripe fruits lingering all around..... The curtains moving gracefully with the wind stopping by the window.... The steaming kettle announcing the arrival of a steaming cup of tea with the heady aroma of Darjeeling tea..... The lighted lamp indicating a home-coming......

Ye he! Not a Ruskin Bond novel..... Yeah he makes mundane things so fetching....
Rohan T
Ruskin Bond is my all time favourite. some of these stories I have already read in some other book of him. But it is always wonderful when you stumble upon such long forgotten stories again. The feeling which you have felt for those characters returns to you like a old friend. Rusty write wonderful things about the small towns present in mountains. In some places he toy with the idea of travelling which is present in many people. I to wish to travel and explore world and people and love. Some wh...more
Kedar Bhide
Nice collection of short stories and good point to develop habit of reading.
Anshu Raj Singh
Beautiful stories which touch your touch.The description is so vivid that after reading it seems that everything has taken place in front of your eyes. The stories are full of a mixture of happiness and melancholy.
And the best part is that after reading it feels that somehow the story is related to you. In most of the stories the protagonist is left with a sense of longing and it is this feeling which the readers have also felt in their life and with which they associate themselves.
Parth
Mesmerizing. Period.

If you ever are short of time and you have time only to read a few good stories then these are the few I really liked:

The Woman on Platform 8
Panther's Moon
The Leopard
Sita and the River
Kaushani
Simple, romantic and a lazy read.. :)
Subhojit
He is one of the few Indian writers who creates great literature whenever he takes up his pen... whether they be novels or essays or short stories. The Night Train at Deoli portrays Bond's romanticism at its best(which is almost always!) .. That a short story of a few pages can move you so much... this is a glowing example of such a story... Hats off Mr. 007!!
Saurabh Mishra
Brilliant short stories the way ruskin captures the surreal landscapes of lower himalayas and small towns. Also when talking about human emotions he keeps it simple and straight forward. Vocab wise I think this is the easiest book I have read till date post my under-grads.
Mridani Pandey
Have never been through any better short story...the night train at deoli was sth we dont get to read everyday,,..heartwarming tale by an innocent teenager who cant break his journey but passes through dat place place as often as possible.....
Sanchita Sarkar
This is one of the finest short stories I have read. I almost felt that every journey has its own set of stories. Below is my review on this book:

Sameer Meena
  • Bitter Fruit: The Very Best of Saadat Hasan Manto
  • চাঁদের পাহাড়
  • Chowringhee
  • The Man-Eating Leopard of Rudraprayag
  • Tantra (The Anu Files, #1)
  • The Illicit Happiness of Other People
  • Beastly Tales from Here and There
Ruskin Bond is an Indian author of British descent.He is considered to be an icon among Indian writers and children's authors and a top novelist.
He wrote his first novel, The Room on the Roof, when he was seventeen which won John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize in 1957.
Since then he has written several novellas, over 500 short stories, as well as various essays and poems, all of which have establish...more
More about Ruskin Bond...
The Room on the Roof The Best of Ruskin Bond Delhi Is Not Far Rusty, the Boy from the Hills The Blue Umbrella