Start by marking “Unexpurgated Code” as Want to Read:
Unexpurgated Code

Unexpurgated Code

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Even Donleavy himself is reluctant to categorize this book, hinting that perhaps it is still fiction. It's most often found listed as nonfiction, however. A guide to social climbing and survival in the asphalt jungle as only Donleavy could write. Not for the easily offended and wonderfully about as non-politically correct as could be. Also rife with illustrations by the au ...more
Published November 25th 1976 by Penguin Books (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Unexpurgated Code, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unexpurgated Code

At the GoodReads Site

Reviewing sites like GoodReads give the gentleman or lady of leisure a splendid opportunity to display their wit and all-round erudition. Post reviews in moderation, choosing a balanced selection of books. Ideally, a scholarly dissection of an obscure but greatly respected classic should be followed by an earthily Anglo-Saxon parody of a notorious piece of trash, and vice versa.

The rest of this review is available elsewhere (the location cannot be given for Goodreads policy
Profane and very funny, an example....

Under Vilenesses Various he covers such things as farting and bodily stench.

Plate and Knife Licking

This is a satisfying ritual and is not only to be resorted to when one is not able to get a further helping. Although widely ridiculed as bad manners, it is permissible if delicately executed and demonstrates more than anything else your enjoyed appetite as well as your thrift.

While holding the plate surface vertically in both hands well up to the face, licking
Oct 11, 2007 Phillip rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: folks who love brits
I re-read this book every year or so. I fall out of my chair laughing every time. I love British humor (even though this is an American writing, technically). The Pukka language is how they ruled the world with a few swords and an attitude. The book is a description of how 'gentlemen' handle all varities of situations. "Upon finding ones pants...."
I love this book.
It's a shame that this one is so hard to find, as it's one of the absolute classics of curmudgeonly advice, absolutely on par with Ambrose Bierce's 'The Devil's Dictionary.' Best not to read it all in one sitting, though -- it can be draining! Hilarious, but draining.
Clive Warner
Not a casual read, more of a reference book for social climbers and those that would defeat social climbers. I nearly had cause to refer to it recently after a small mongrel tried to take on my St Bernard... Dunleavey has included in the book, somewhere, instructions on how to behave if your dog has killed someone else's dog (and vice versa)
An irreverent satirical guide to English high society. I really enjoyed the focus on posh accents and how it would have two different ways to approach each situation depending on which accent you wished to use. It did make me wish I was part of their livelyhood though, at least made me want to give it a sporting try, as those fine chaps might say!
Richard Thomas
What other book would a prospective gentleman need?
Claire S
My brother and I were both too young for this when it was gifted to one of us (and shared) by Our Dad. (Clearly another notch in my 'it's not my fault' belt). We gaped and pointed and snickered and eventually it went away. Clearly HE thought it was funny, so there's that.
Here's the way it is. You need this advice. Thirty-odd years on, this book still tells you how you'll need to behave to be Correct in situations that you'll no doubt find yourself in. Just trust JP and keep up Standards.
Nov 19, 2007 George rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Donleavy was doing gold-plated snark decades before we all had a word for it. He lives in a castle in Ireland and peers down with a disgusted look at the rest of us.
A thoroughly gutter-snipe, trashy Swift - I love his stuff!
Winston Tuttle
Timeless humour in the clever, but dirty way that only Donleavy can get away with. Cherish this book.
Kim Harne
Even though I am bootless and unhorsed, I enjoyed this book immensely. I REALLY did.
I've just dipped into this, but so far its a ROTHFLMAOUMIWCCTTMA funny.
Hilarious jabs at the upper crust
Very very funny.
Evan Kaiser
Evan Kaiser marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Jared Whitefield
Jared Whitefield marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Zaka marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Lily marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Thomas Berl
Thomas Berl marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Zac added it
Sep 20, 2015
Amerah marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Hannes marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Christopher Klein
Christopher Klein marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
  • The End of the Modern World
  • Lectures at the College de France, 1982-83: The Government of Self and Others
  • A History of the Warfare of Science with Theology in Christendom
  • Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Zipper Accidents: And Other Cringe-Worthy Events
  • The Neal Pollack Anthology of American Literature: The Collected Writings of Neal Pollack
  • The Sound of Music
  • No Kiss For Mother
  • Everything Explained Through Flowcharts: All of Life's Mysteries Unraveled Including Tips for World Domination, Which Religion Offers the Best Afterlife, the Secret Recipe for Gettin' Laid Lemonade
  • The Gambler/Bobok/A Nasty Story
  • Why Do Clocks Run Clockwise? and Other Imponderables: Mysteries of Everyday Life Explained
  • At Lady Molly's (A Dance to the Music of Time, #4)
  • The Embedding
  • Summer of the Seventeenth Doll
  • Novels and Other Writings : The Dream Life of Balso Snell / Miss Lonelyhearts / A Cool Million / The Day of the Locust / Letters (Library of America)
James Patrick Donleavy is an Irish American author, born to Irish immigrants. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II after which he moved to Ireland. In 1946 he began studies at Trinity College, Dublin, but left before taking a degree. He was first published in the Dublin literary periodical, Envoy.