Start by marking “The Mighty Hunter (Lords of the Abyss, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mighty Hunter (Lords of the Abyss, #1)

The Mighty Hunter (Lords of the Abyss #1)

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  495 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Underwater Paranormal Romance
Novella

Scientist Bridget Dutton has no time for traditional love. Her heart belongs to her work. Even though taking chemical readings of ocean water isn't her thing, she's willing to put in her time for her chance at exploring the Abyss. When her boat is attacked from below, Bridget's dream just might come true sooner than planned.

Caderyn the H
Published 2010 by Raven Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Mighty Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mighty Hunter

Lover of Romance
The Mighty Hunter brings us a story of the merpeople that live beneath the sea in a dome that the god Poseidon cursed them too!! Our heroine is taken when her boat and the scientists on board die, and she and one other woman are the only survivors. She is rescued and taken beneath to become a part of them. Caderyn craves a real woman, but he knows the chances are unlikely until Bridget comes into his life. He is determined to win her and claim her as his wife.

I had a fun time with this story an
Book Nook  Nuts
Jun 11, 2016 Book Nook Nuts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audible Book: The Mighty Hunter: Lords of the Abyss, Book 1
Author: Michelle M. Pillow
Narrated By: Rebecca Cook
Reviewed by: Tammy Payne- Book Nook Nuts
My Rating: 5 Stars

REVIEW

"Something lurks under the Sea."

Would you recommend this audiobook to a friend? If so, why?
Yes I would . Why? Majority of my friends love paranormal and hot romance.

What other book might you compare The Mighty Hunter to and why?
I have only read one other series with merman. And it was nothing like this one.

Have you listen
Lady Raven RAVE!
I am a super fan of this author and her writing style. When she writes a contemporary romance she's good at it, if it's like a historical she is good at it, if it's fantasy/sci fi she is good at it. Her writing style of telling a story from start to finish is also good.

I love this book Bridget is a heart warming character who just wants to explore, Caderyn is the hero he was adorable to me, here you have this hunter who is a merr man who is strong but treats Bridget so gentle. Avery good read l
The BookChick
I listened to this book in audio format, and the narrator, Rebecca Cook, did an amazing job bringing Michelle Pillow's story to life. The story was a wonderful balance of myth, legend, and a reality steeped in science.

The push/pull relationship between Bridget and Caderyn was well balanced. As a scientist Bridget's mind worked overtime to understand the new reality of a life she was thrust into without her say so. After the scientific vessel she was on was annihilated by an unknown (to the huma
Pam Louis
Jul 16, 2015 Pam Louis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bridget Dutton has always loved the water and wanted to study under sea life. She signed on for a year trip to do just the but add to that a mix of fate and humans should be careful what they wish for their life may change completely.

Caderyn is a hunter from Ataran. He and his team are hunting a monster called a Scylla. It attacks boats and sinks them. But before he and his teammates can get it. The Scylla strikes again. Now in Ataran woman are rare so then 2 are sinking to their deaths they mos
Gaele
Sep 22, 2014 Gaele rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Lords of the Abyss Trilogy: Lords of the Abyss #1 – 3 by Michelle M. Pillow.

So – I’ve had these 3 titles in my tbr pile for a while now (we won’t talk about just how long) and I got on a reading kick to clean out titles that I hadn’t yet touched. That’s the only rule –and being an admitted fan of hot covers, this jumped right out at me. Three books are in this set – and I will give you my thoughts on each, as well as an average review rating and an overall feel for the titles.

The Mighty Hunter
Sharon Tyler
The Mighty Hunter is the first book in the Lords of the Abyss series by Michelle M. Pillow. Scientist Bridget Dutton's heart belongs to her work. When her boat is attacked from below, Bridget’s dream to study the deep waters of the ocean just might come true sooner than planned. Caderyn the Hunter may have rescued her from death, but who’s going to rescue her from him? With a deliciously hot body and all the right moves, the man is a walking seduction that’s too hard to resist. There’s only one ...more
Laura Greenwood
Review forthcoming on http://a-reader-lives-a-thousand-live...

Title: The Mighty Hunter
Series: Lords of the Abyss (#1)
Author: Michelle M Pillow
From: Review Copy
Genre: Fantasy, Romance
Release Date: 10th July 2010
Challenges: N/A
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

When a Science expedition goes wrong and Bridget's boat is capsized, the last thing that she expects is that she will be saved by a Merman. Caderyn is a Merr, one of the curse men that lives in the land commonly referred to as Atlantis by legends. No
Annelise
Jun 12, 2013 Annelise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a good story. Different from what Ive read about the merr sofar. Sometimes a bit frustrated with her.
Triplets? Well hell, wont that just keep her busy.
Melissa
Oct 01, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bridget is a scientist who wants to explore the ocean. She is very smart, stubborn and has to have everything proven to her, like most scientists. Caderyn, is a Merr, he is a warrior and goes out in the ocean trying to capture the scylla who attack ships. He is very sweet and honorable. You feel Bridget's loss when she hears everyone else on this ship is probably lost to sea when the scylla attacked. Michelle did an amazing job creating this world and you feel like you are a part of it. She did ...more
Angela
Jan 17, 2011 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Possibly the most graphic love scenes ive ever read .. the story was good, ive already begun the sequel !!!
Cheri
Apr 23, 2016 Cheri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE: APRIL 2016: I have added the newly released Audio version to my library. Loved it. What a great way to re-read favorite books. I loved this. Don't miss it.

About two pages in I knew I was going to love this one--I did. Ms Pillow engages you with her characters immediately. Bridget was a wanna be scientist of the abyss. She was paying her dues to get a chance to sign on to a real scientific crew when she is suddenly drawn into the impossible.

She's going to get her chance at seeing the abys
new_user
Pillow combines the legend of Atlantis with some Greek mythology to create a book about the Merr, an undersea race of mermen and women.

This sounds like a fascinating premise. However, like so much mer fiction, Pillow ultimately doesn't deliver on the promise we glimpse in the beginning with the introduction of the Merr. After Caderyn and Bridget meet, the book quickly veers into poor romance with weak conflicts generated by the characters second-doubting the other's feelings again and again and
Kelly
The Mighty Hunter is for people who...

...like solid worldbuilding (or underwater worldbuilding, as the case may be!).
...don't mind when secrets are kept that could have a pretty major impact on the main character.
...like merfolk.
...enjoy a woman who won't give up on her dream.

Enjoyable, for the most part. While I didn't love the secret-keeping, it makes sense in the course of the story. Bonus, the sex was nice.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal
Christine Croke
Apr 28, 2015 Christine Croke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Bridget a scientist is pulled into a world she cant explain when the ship she is on is attacked. Caderyn a Hunter saves her & brings her to his home. They fall in love in the midst of their confusion and communication mix ups in a world she never could have believed existed. Cant wait to see what Michelle Pillow comes up with next.

I was given this book by the author for an honest review in my own words. I was not compensated in any way.
Kerry
May 20, 2016 Kerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Science. That's what life is about. Everything can be explained. Then she meets him and well it doesn't compute. When she runs that's when she realizes she may have been a bit rash.
She won't listen. Things are hard for her to believe. Once she's leaves he must protect her from the ones that mean to hurt her the most. If only she will listen before it's too late.
Shawnie
I chose this because it fit for a challenge, but I ended up really enjoying it. It's a romantic retelling of the Atlantis myth with Merr, mermen and maids, and how Poseidon punished his people by sending them into the Abyss for eternity in this underwater world floating around with the currents. Fanciful and insta-love happens, but I enjoyed it.
Lyn
Oct 24, 2015 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, why haven’t a read a Michelle M. Pillow novel before now? I mean really?!! I have been missing out! Well…no more!! I am a fan of this author!
I loved this story! I love the idea of this story! I loved the author’s delivery of this story! This is one of the best Merr romance novel’s I have ever read. I am so looking forward to the rest of this series!
Eleonora
May 12, 2014 Eleonora rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read other books by Michelle M. Pillow in the past and I have to admit that I have found them much better than this one. While reading this story I kept thinking "It could have been a great story if...". But in the end I was very disappointed that I found it just...boring. I did not like it at all.
Shaye Branch
Apr 29, 2016 Shaye Branch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given this book to review. I had my doubts because I'm not one for mere people. I was blown away. I found myself not being able to put it down. It was way better than I thought. I can't wait to read more from Michelle M. Pillow.
Aurrora James
Jan 13, 2016 Aurrora James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Land and Sea

I enjoyed the rerelease of this book. The heroine's fears made sense because she was unused to having to deal with her emotions. It made me feel bad for the hero though. And the last few paragraphs took a journey into cheesy.
Virginia
I liked the mythology created. I'm not sure I like the rest of it. These characters are very frustrating, and the first two books in the series have nearly identical plots. Details are changed, but the overall story arc is the same.
Apr 02, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love instant connections and animalistic men. And the conflict? Communication, a problem all relationships have; cool how once she accepted that it was no longer an issue. The end was a bit predictable but entertaining.
Wendy
Mar 06, 2016 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a delightful read. I've been so consumed lately with stuttering transitions, missed writing errors and so on that I had forgotten what a good story was like without something to grumble about.
Lisa Bateman
Dec 13, 2014 Lisa Bateman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good

I felt like I was in a fairy tale. Wish I could go to their world. Can't wait to read next one
Lisa
While I am beyond in LOVE with this idea behind this series actually getting the story to sound good on paper seemed like it was a bit difficult. I would have loved to see something more happen here. More sexual tension, more character development, more love...this book just left me wanting to read a really good mermaid paranormal! (Or should I say merman?) I will be borrowing Lords of the Abyss #2 from the library and hoping the author will be able to pull #2 off. All in all I think it was a go ...more
Jessica
I loved this book. Very solid world building. It has a sort of 'Me Tarzan, you Jane type of main charator.

Caderan the Hunter, a merman, saves Bridget, an oceanograher, for a death by sea. He takes her to his home in The Abyss, a magical realm located under the sea.

There is loads of steamy, and I mean STEAMY sex. The world building was amazing in this book. I finished this whole series in less then two days unable to stop myself from clicking that that 1-click-buy button that Amazon so nicely he
Kyndra Natasha
Ok.....would have liked more of an alpha male, but....also, the way it ended...
  • Darkling Seas
  • Rules of Engagement (Cyberevolution, #7)
  • Shards of the Mind (The Ta'e'sha Chronicles, #2)
  • In Over Her Head (Tritone Trilogy, #1)
  • Pike's Peak (League of the Unnatural, #1)
  • The Mating Seduction (Werewolves of Montana, #3)
  • Owned by the Elf
  • Wild Instinct (Wild, #4-6)
  • Exodus (Atlantean's Quest, #2)
  • Daric's Mate (The Vampire Coalition, #5)
  • Awakening Beauty (Fairytale Fantasies # 3)
  • Creating Chemistry (Creations #3)
  • A Mermaid's Ransom (Daughters of Arianne, #3)
  • Love's Captive (Volarn, #1)
  • Planet Mail (Mail Call, #1)
  • Bound to the Prince (Elven Warrior Trilogy, #1)
  • The Complete Mackenzies Collection (Mackenzie Family, #1-5)
  • Seaborne (Seaborne #1)
New York Times & USA Today Bestselling Author
#1 Amazon Bestselling Author
www.MichellePillow.com

Michelle M. Pillow is a multi-published, National Bestselling Author writing in many fiction genres including the Bestselling Dragon-Shifter series Dragon Lords and Captured by a Dragon-Shifter, and the mischievously magical Warlocks MacGregor.

Works also include Lord of the Abyss and Lords of the Va
More about Michelle M. Pillow...

Lords of the Abyss (4 books)
  • Commanding the Tides (Lords of the Abyss, #2)
  • Captive of the Deep (Lords of the Abyss #3)
  • Surrender to the Sea (Lords of the Abyss, #4)