Start by marking “Up All Night” as Want to Read:

Up All Night

A brush with the supernatural?

A rock concert?

A reunion?

A poolside revelation?

The need to know what's up?

The confessions of a friend?

The dream of escape?

A sick pet?

An English assignment?

The rear-window view of a murder next door?

The search for the mother you never met?

What keeps you up all night?
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published May 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Up All Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Up All Night

Airiz C
Heaps upon heaps of schoolwork. Thesis project. A meteor shower as announced in the evening news. A phone call from a friend. Whatever it may be, there must be something that kept you up all night at least once in your life, a night that made you feel as if you’re drifting betwixt wakefulness and sleep, a night that shot a different kind of energy up your veins and made you witness how it melted into sunrise, how the city lifts its eyelids again…

This is the theme of the Lara Geringer anthology U
Mr. Cool
I am usually a sucker for short story comps. But for some reason, this one, not so much.

When I read the theme 'what keeps you up at night' I expected mysteries, shock endings, thought provoking, and original pieces. I liked the short comic (by the author of American-Born Chinese) the most because it captured a specific feeling perfectly that indeed, keeps us up at night.

'Orange Alert' dealt with a girl with a sexually harassing step-father, her nighttime rides, and control in one's life. The en
Kelly Moore
Read:
Not Just for Breakfast Anymore by Libba Bray- These stories are longer than the other collections I've been looking through. This story was slightly excruciating, but in the end I liked it. It's 1980 in Texas, and four girls act stupid, go to a concert, get high and drunk, and think they can sneak into the hotel where the band is staying to hang out with the famous guys. It's all so stupid that you feel embarrassed for the girls, but it's kind of funny and believable too. The sub-plot is t
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Six stories relate to the darkness and the wonder of staying up all night.

Libba Bray writes about four best friends going to a concert and looking for the band's after party. When they need a place to crash, they spend the night at one girl's father's new apartment, almost exposing a huge family secret.

The family in Peter Abraham's story attempt to move on after the death of a loved one, but can they reach him from beyond the grave before they le
Rebecca McNutt
Up All Night's stories are all different, but they all have one thing in common - they're all absolutely amazing and really fun to read! :)
Jenna
Sep 18, 2014 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Up All Night
Peter Abrahams, Patricia McCormick,Libba Bray,Sarah Weeks, David Levithan,Gene Luen Yang

Up all night, is about many different stories. These stories can relate to many people in many different ways.

Phase2, is the dealing with the death of their husband and father and sleepless nights needing closure.

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore, Maggie is having sleepless nights and is not happy about her parents divorce and her fathers new life style but after having a crazy night with her friends
Linda Dexheimer
Linda Dexheimer
Short Stories.

These were some fun and interesting stories with an interesting theme: what keeps the characters up all night. The stories have a variety of interesting themes from science fiction to contemporary realistic fiction. Some of the stories make you laugh and others make you cry but overall, great stories that will keep most young readers interested.
Wendy
Jun 14, 2014 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
REVIEW:
"Up all night" was a collection of stories written by 6 different bestselling authors. I lowed the concept of haying 6 different short stories that revolve around the same topic, an adventure that leads the main character to be up all night. My favorite of the stories definitely has to be "Phase 2", the first story of the 6. It tells about a family who just lost their father in a war and leads the mother into a great depression. Eventually the depression makes the mother reach a medium to
Joanne
Aug 26, 2012 Joanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, short-stories
Some fun short stories by various authors - theme of staying up all night. My favorite was Agent Orange, about a girl whose stepfather is starting to make sexual overtures to her. Her reaction is strong and powerful.
Janelle Fila
Aug 22, 2014 Janelle Fila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I stumbled across this book while looking for something from Libba Bray to read. I think the best thing about short story collections is the wide variety of good, interesting authors exposed to the reader. I loved the stories by Patricia McCormick and David Levithan (who I've just recently discovered as I'm also currently reading WILL GRAYSON, WILL GRAYSON). Sarah Weeks was also impressive, bringing me to tears at her representation of brotherly love. So glad I stumbled upon such a refreshing co ...more
Rachael
Apr 29, 2008 Rachael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this anthology, six phenomenal authors answer the question “What would keep you up all night?” The authors are Peter Abrahams, Libba Bray, David Levithan, Patricia McCormick, Sarah Weeks, and Gene Luen Yang.

At first, I thought this book would contain personal stories from these authors, but I soon realized they were fictional short stories. My favorite of the six had to be Libba Bray’s short story about a group of four friends who go to a rock concert. Libba Bray, the author of the Great and
Crystal
This collection of stories was a bit different from the other collections I've read recently. The stories seemed longer, and there were only six of them, including one in graphic novel format. The theme was different too, "up all night", which seemed like a tenuous story theme. I can't say I loved most of the stories. They were generally sad stories involving family dysfunction, especially paternal issues.
Peter Abraham's story was sad and strange. the ending was sort of sweet, and sort of weird
Terry
Jun 20, 2011 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best stories in this collection are the ones that capture that feeling of being up all night--the exuberance of being awake in this alternate time and space, when most are asleep but you are awake watching night change to day in a way most people don't witness and think about. The authors make good use of thoughtful, observant narrators and plots with a dose of humor and melancholy as they create the feeling of enjoying life, no matter what difficulties one is facing.

First, the good: Libba
Kathryn
This is a very difficult book to classify. There are some supernatural elements, but it is not a supernatural book. There are a few love stories, horror stories, stories of family, stories of life, but it doesn't fall into just one category.

The book also doesn't easily fall into a book I liked or a book I disliked because of the wide variety or authors and styles. I defiantly enjoyed Libba Bray's story "It's Not Just for Breakfast Anymore" the most, as I felt it had a powerful message and was be
Luisa
Every story in here is compelling, although a couple annoyed me with their stereotypically simplistic characters. Still, the majority are interesting, about a variety of topics, and characters. Some are only reflections on life, others are funny and others sad and spooky. It's a good read.
Courtney Johnson
I liked reading these stories. Some of them didn't really catch my attention but others were fun to read. I don't think I would read this again but for a one time read, it was fun and fast.
Celestasaurus
Oct 18, 2009 Celestasaurus rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
My house was being invaded by a handful of raucous teenage boys when I read this. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more had it not been. Or maybe I don't enjoy short stories that much. (This is true. I think short stories are kind of lame. Not in depth enough, you know? Except Edgar Allan Poe, who was mentioned within the Introduction. Poe is amazing. I definitely recommend him for late-night readers. But I digress...) Don't let my poor rating stop you from reading this! I really doubt it will, tho ...more
Riley
Apr 10, 2015 Riley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
some good, some mediocre. particular favorites - "The Vulnerable Hours" by David Levithan (of course) and "Not Just for Breakfast Anymore" by Libba Bray
Elena
Maria Tkachuk
This was a book made up of short stories. It shares six lives of different teenagers (plus a monkey), and what keeps them up all night. This book was okay, but not the best book I've ever read and so I gave it 2.5 stars. I think that you should be at least thirteen to read it. I liked how it included pieces from six different authors instead of six stories from one author, which made the writing styles and content vary. Also, I enjoyed reading some of the short stories from different character p ...more
Morrisania Teen
Sep 16, 2008 Morrisania Teen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teen readers
This book is a collection of short stories written by popular authors of young adult literature. Each story focuses on a young teen and their unusual experiences in the mysterious hours of the night. Whether is a female who is grieving for her deceased soldier father or a teen who is trying to stay away from her menacing stepfather, the night is when they can escape. The authors are able to create stories that have a consistent theme of self-discovery and exploration. This book is an exciting re ...more
Elin
Apr 05, 2015 Elin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jag tror att jag har läst den här, men jag minns nästan ingenting?
Michelle
Not what I usually read, but I read it because of the Gene L. Yang story. it was good, but not great.

David Levithan’s “The Vulnerable Hours” was a typical story of his about tens understanding themselves and their peers in NYC. It has his lyrical writing and is laced with yearning.

Peter Abrahams’ “Phase Two” was good if predictable. Patricia McCormick’s “Orange Alert” was a story of how driving gave the protagonist power over a bad home. Libb Bray had the longest story. I only stuck with it bec
Julia
Aug 08, 2011 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, short-stories
Six authors wrote short stories answering the question: What keeps your characters awake?
Maggie in “Not Just for Breakfast Anymore” by Libba Bray goes to a Cheap Trick concert with her girlfriends in 1980 in Dallas and tries to go the hotel where the band is staying. Maggie’s trying to keep it a secret that her Dad’s gay.
In “The Vulnerable Hours” by David Levithan teens are compelled to tell the truth to each other, in Levithan- style that is not magic or science fiction, but just is.
Cecile
Dec 28, 2010 Cecile rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What age group was this book meant for? I found it in the young adult section, and that was a huge mistake. I'm pretty sure this book was made for 8 year olds who may find the poorly organized and predictable stories entertaining. I read 2 stories, read a chunk of the last (cartoon??) and returned it without flipping through another page. I found it more interesting staring at the people walking past my moms hospital room than reading this shit book.
Kate
Mar 19, 2011 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rayne
I think this one is another 3.5 for me.
Some of the stories were memorable and were constructed beautifully with profound messages, but others were kind of meh.
Funny, it did keep me up during the night but not for the right reasons. I suppose I am a little disappointed. I wanted for at least one of the stories to be scary. Bit well, all in all, not a bad collection at all. Plus, Libba Bray is in it. That automatically makes it awesome in my book.
Marina
This is worth reading for Libba Bray's short story alone. It follows a teenage girl and her friends from a rock concert to a hotel and ultimately to her dad's condo. The slow buildup and progression through the one-night timeline is fantastic. The others are all right, but not particularly memorable. Patricia McCormick's is good but underdeveloped, and David Levithan's was better the second time I read it.
Christian
Feb 15, 2013 Christian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I picked up this collection of short stories because it has one by David Levithan, and since I don't resist his writing . . .

The theme of this collection is a pivotal night in the night of a teen where they stay up all night for some reason. The stories were all well done. I was slightly concerned about one with a girl who was being leered at by her step-father, but the ending was extremely satisfying.
Maggie V
Dec 21, 2010 Maggie V rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting scary (or at least spooky) tales, and the first short story by Abrahams delivered. The rest were all very different with the only common thread being the action took place during the night and the story would normally end at sunrise. Overall nice stories and an extremely quick read (maybe 2 hrs), but not what I expect so a bit disappointed on that front.
  • We Are Quiet, We Are Loud: The Best Young Writers and Artists In America
  • Friends: Stories About New Friends, Old Friends, And Unexpectedly True Friends
  • Every Man for Himself: Ten Short Stories About Being a Guy
  • Finding H.F.
  • Someone Like You
  • The Restless Dead: Ten Original Stories of the Supernatural
  • Trying Hard to Hear You
  • One Hot Second: Stories About Desire
  • How Beautiful the Ordinary: Twelve Stories of Identity
  • Hit The Road, Manny (The Manny Files #2)
  • Of All the Stupid Things
  • Sixteen: Stories about That Sweet and Bitter Birthday
  • Exploits of a Reluctant (But Extremely Goodlooking) Hero
  • The Year They Burned the Books
  • Big Big Sky
  • A Question of Manhood
  • Eight Seconds
  • Twice Told: Original Stories Inspired by Original Artwork
Laura Geringer is the author of many highly acclaimed books for children and young adults, including the celebrated A Three Hat Day illustrated by Arnold Lobel; Myth Men, a popular series of graphic novels based on the classic Greek myths; and Sign of the Qin, Book l of the Outlaws of Moonshadow Marsh series, an ALA Best Book for Young Adults; and Boom, Boom Go Away illustrated by Bagram Ibatoulli ...more
More about Laura Geringer...

“The truth feels different from other things. The closest you can come to describing it is that it feels like taking a perfect breath.” 2 likes