The Queen Jade: A New World Novel of Adventure

The Queen Jade: A New World Novel of Adventure

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  22 reviews
There is a legend of the New World that has endured for centuries: the strange, tragic tale of a King, a Witch . . . and a blue gem of intoxicating beauty said to grant extraordinary power to whoever possesses it.

Archaeologist Juana Sanchez, convinced that she's discovered the key to unlocking the mystery of the fabled Queen Jade, ventures into the Central American jungle...more
Published September 7th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Queen Jade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Queen Jade

Miriam
I quit this book at page 60. I tried hanging in there to see if it improved once they actually get out into the jungle/archaeological site/whatever but gave up at "he chucked my chin." The heroine is such a feeb. I struggled get this far. The characters never made sense to me. That's not precisely to say that they're flat; there are real people who don't make sense to me, either. But there are authors who can write characters that don't make sense to me and are still interesting (Eg: Doris Lessi...more
Chriss
Jan 26, 2008 Chriss rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of archeaology and adventure fiction
I really enjoy this book. I got it as an advance reader when I worked at a University bookstore in San Francisco and have re-read it several times since. Queen Jade has it all; lost treasure, family secrets, archeology, secret codes, a massive storm, jaguars, jungle travel, an old vendetta, mystery and romance. This book is thrilling, fast paced and full of very human and interesting characters. The plot is also believable.

My blog has a full review.
Nancy Oakes
The premise of this novel is what attracted me. I really love books where there are ciphers, have some relationship to books and bookstores and feature ancient legends. This is the first book I've read by this author, although her novel "The Conquest" is sitting on my tbr shelf. Now I can't wait to get at that one. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes books with the above-mentioned features.

A brief synopsis (without spoilers): Lola Sanchez owns The Red Lion bookstore in Lon...more
Emily Dahl
I liked the Guatemalan background for this story-- especially the Mayan legend (that she made up in the style of Mayan folklore) and the incorporation of Mayan hieroglyphs. Interesting puzzle to solve.

However: I was not all impressed with the actual story overall. Or the characters she created. I thought the writing style was too heavy handed and the plot rather obvious.

Barbara
Delightful adventure with a touch of romance. Think of a modern Indiana Jones--but Indiana is a cranky older woman. She vanishes into the hurricane ravaged jungles of Guatemala and her bookstore-owner daughter and a young archeology professor head out to find her. Solving a cryptic Mayan carving is crucial to finding our missing woman.
Kate
Deb
This was fun in a "Romancing The Stone", over-the-top way. The main character runs an adventre & fantasy bookshop. She goes running off to Central Mother to look for her mother, an archeologist who has disappeared after Hurricane Mitch while hunting done an artifact that has obcessed her for years. She is accompanied by one of her mother's colleagues, also fascinated by the artifact and soon to be a love interest, and a childhood friend from whom she has been estranged, thanks to her mother....more
Amy
In the wake of the devastating 1998 hurricane, Lola must travel into the forests of Guatemala to solve an ancient riddle and find her missing mother.

An overall alright read. Once they actually get into Guatemala things move along quite a bit better. My biggest problem was that I figured out almost every riddle/mystery chapters ahead of the characters, and not because I was meant to. Instead I had to spend up to 100 pages watching them drop overly obvious clues and then spend two pages explaining...more
Vikas Datta
A terrific read.. with a host of engaging characters and sparkling dialogue
Lisa
I only read half of this book and decided that I was not enjoying it. The characters were not all that interesting to me. Not developed really well in my opinion. Tiresome journals and manuscripts that I wasn't keeping straight. It may that I kept putting it down but I had difficulty keeping the Latino names of all the players straight in my head.
Crystal
I liked this book. She uses a lot of historical accurate stuff and writes some very intense scenes. The story line is really good too.
Clare
I really liked this. Kind of like a female Indiana Jones, only she's a bookstore owner.
Jordan
The Translation (La Reina Jade) was a great way to learn more Spanish.
Brooke
A great adventure story!! With a female, brainy Indiana Jones!
Carriann
I loved it! Murray knows how to write an adventure!
Traci
juvenile writing. couldn't get past page 5.
Annie Michelle
was looking for a new series..this will not be it
Kristina
The book disapeared but what i read seem good
Michaela
A phenomenal historical mystery
Michelle
Loved it. An female Indiana Jones.
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
David Fraser
David Fraser marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Gerald Welt
Gerald Welt marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Yxta Maya Murray is a professor at Loyola Law School and currently lives in Studio City, California.
More about Yxta Maya Murray...
Locas: A Novel The Conquest The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Kidnapped The King's Gold: An Old World Novel of Adventure What It Takes to Get to Vegas