Start by marking “Payment In Kind (J.P. Beaumont, #9)” as Want to Read:
Payment In Kind (J.P. Beaumont, #9)

Payment In Kind (J.P. Beaumont #9)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,514 ratings  ·  59 reviews
It looks like a classic crime of passion to Detective J.P Beaumont: two corpses found lovingly entwined in a broom closet of the Seattle School District building. The prime suspect, Pete Kelsey, admits his slain spouse was no novice at adultery, yet he swears he had nothing to do with the brutal deaths of the errant school official and her clergyman-turned-security guard c ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by William Morrow (first published March 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Payment In Kind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Payment In Kind

Karen
I got a kick out of another reviewer who said this book would have been great, without the bad language. Nice to know I'm not the only one who feels that too much offensive language in a lot of books is absolutely unnecessary to drive the plot line!

Anyway, this was another fun JP Beaumont book. He's becoming a favorite character of mine. I like protagonists who are rather grumpy, which Beau is. But he is a hard worker (in spite of inheriting a large amount of money), he's a loyal friend, and he
Lynette Barfield
I'm on a J A Jance kick. This is a Beaumont novel. I like all of her novels and particularly Beaumont. The plot is good and Beaumont is quite a character. Will be reading more soon.
Marti
This was yet another well crafted, interesting, enjoyable mystery in the J. P. Beaumont series. In this one, it looks like a straight up murder-suicide. Unhappily, Beau is saddled with his old "buddy" Kramer because Big Al and his wife Molly have both gotten a bad case of the flu. This had enough twists and turns to keep it interesting and once again Jance made the characters sympathetic enough to want to keep reading. The hatchet was somewhat buried between Beau and his oft nemesis Maxwell Cole ...more
Sebastian
Fun read with some unusual dynamics.

Usually I am highly entertained by the Beaumont mysteries, and this case was no exception. The detective has to investigate a crime in a school that initially looks like a murder suicide. Soon enough things become complicated and we get a whodunit with plenty of twists and turns and a thrilling conclusion with plenty of revelations.

I enjoyed the fact that the author keeps giving us more information about Beaumont's personal life and we get to see how he contin
Julie
This is the 9th Beaumont novel in this series. It was copyrighted in the early 90's. I love this series and I personally think it is J A Jance's best series. I haven't read these in order, so it was fun going back and reading one of the older ones. For those unfamiliar these books, they are straight up detective novels. In this one, the bodies of a man and a woman are found together in a closet at a school. Beaumont's partner is ill and so he gets stuck with a new partner he doesn't care for. Th ...more
David
I don't normally like to read books out of order. You can miss character development when the character spans multiple titles. However, I am really glad I picked up this book. I like J.P. Beaumont.

Beaumont investigates the murder of two people in the Seattle School District office. The investigation takes many twists and turns along the way until the final dramatic ending. It's a book that was hard to put down. I was able to guess part of the plot, but the ending was a surprise.
Jan C
I find the J. P. Beaumont stories real page turners. The only explanation for why I was reading all night. Thus, sleeping through an appointment this morning.

It looks like a murder - suicide but Beau isn't so sure. Plus, he is saddled with a new partner who is a real pain. A twist at every turn. on practically every other page we are being disabused of almost every fact we thought we knew.

Even so, after a certain point, I was able to determine the killer. I was thrown a red herring and I thoug
Donna Mcnab
Detective J. P. "Beau" Beaumont is back on the job after leaving his rehab centre in Arizona and is now attending AA meetings and doing a good job of sticking to non-alcoholic drinks. As his present partner, Big Al Linstrom is out sick with food poisoning, Beau is teamed up with a detective that he is not too fond of to investigate the circumstances surrounding the finding of the bodies of a man and a woman in a utility closet. Were they there on an assignation that resulted in a murder suicide, ...more
Diana
Another outstanding entry (#9) in the JP Beaumont series. I adore this series so much, but I love every book of Ms. Jance that I have ever read!
Burke Hodgson
I seem to enjoy almost everything J A Jance writes. This book from her J.P. Beaumont series is well worth reading. I recommend it.
Kay
Love the on-going character development. Can't wait for the next book. Can't wait to see what happens to the kiss ass detective.
Bob

Found an older J.P. Beaumont book that I hadn’t read yet and it filled in some background in the timeline of his career. In this episode he is called on to investigate a double homicide at the Seattle office of education. Few clues at the beginning but soon some interesting information comes to light. He is not happy to be working with a temporary partner, a young officer that is not very well liked and has an agenda of promoting himself at the expense of whatever partner he works with. Towards
Old_airman
New take on some old characters. Shows Beau in a new, sober light.
Carol Hassett
Enjoy mysteries where I can't figure out who done it!
Gloria Bernal
This is #9 in the series of Seattle detective J.P. Beaumont. Really good, fast moving and unpredictable. In this his first case since leaving rehab, he is still going to AA but nary a mention is made of "McNaughton's" his favorite Canadian Whiskey, as in all the previous novels. Two bodies are found in a closet at a school district office, one of a security guard and one of a woman administrator. The case takes several twists and turns and the ending is unexpected. Beau also meets his grandparen ...more
Juli Monroe
One of the best in the series so far. Good plot and further development of Beau's character. The mystery had good twists and turns and the ending worked.
Chris
Beaumont is back on the job with a double murder to solver and a partner from hell to add to his trouble. After his stay at a rehab facility was shortened, due to the murder of his roommate, he is bent on completing a 90 day AA meeting regiment to aid in his recovery.

Many twists and revelations popping up throughout the story which kept me guessing who the murderer could be and why.

John
I really enjoyed this book. Like the others in the Beaumont series, this was a quick read. The plot was entertaining. Just when you thought you knew who the killer was there was another slight twist. I also enjoyed learning more about J.P. Beaumont as the story was peppered with a few more details about his character. I would definately recommend this book.
Dominique
This book was a classic JA Jance book. Loved the twists and turns the book took in the end. I was a little disappointed with this being the 9th book in the series that there was such poor editing. It never took away from the story but its not what I'm used to with this author.

In the end it was a great story. I read it in five days.
Virginia Walter
How did I miss this 1991 Beaumont mystery? Beau is teamed up temporarily with the dreaded Detective Kramer, the partner from hell. However, the two of them do solve the murder of a woman killed at the Seattle School District offices in what initially appeared to be a crime of passion but turns out to be more complicated than that.
Deborah
Wow, this was my favorite so far in this series. All the regular characters have become completely "fleshed out", and I feel as if I can truly understand J.P. Beaumont now.
Looking forward to the next one in the series, which is on it's way to my home and according to UPS should be arriving in a couple of days.
Fredrick Danysh
A school district personnel manager and a night watchman are murdered in the school district office. The husband has something to hide as Detective J.P. Beaumont works with an untrusty worthy temporary partner. J.P. deals with his own personal issues as a recovering alcoholic.
Gary Proctor
Another good book by JA Jance. I saw some of it coming, but there was still a good twist of to, and the usual Beaumont good fortune. The end sizzled and we once again got to see some personal growth (but not too much) by Beau. It's always a pleasure reading her books.
Mum
This tale twisted so often, I decided to stop guessing and just enjoy the twists and turns. It was a great piece of escapism!!!
Melissa
Book #20 read in 2013

This one kept me guessing until the very end. That my Beau had to work with the undermining, condescending, and mean Kramer made me angry. There were some great character developments with Beau as well. Great!
Barbara B.
This was from 1991----am catching up on a couple books I missed with character J.P.Beaumont (a Seattle homocide detective). Funny to read something that feels current, but they didn't have cell phones.............only pagers!
woody
Beaumont is partnered up with the brown nosing detective Kramer to try and solve the double homicide in a local school. One of the characters happens to be a "mormon" which was kinda interesting. I'll say 2 1/2 stars
Jenny
Well, a decent mystery up till the end. Maybe I prefer the Agatha Christie mysteries where it's a little complicated - but you believe it - to J A Jance mysteries where things end up a little unbelievable.
Kay
This one caught me off guard as to who the murderer was! The first 2/3 of the book rated only 3 stars but the last third of the book was a 5 star rating and made up for it!
Megan
I'm starting to care about Beau. I'm looking forward to the next in the series. Can't wait until he crosses paths with Joanna Brady. Curious to see where his sobriety leads him.
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Flat Spin (A Cordell Logan Mystery, #1)
  • Shadow Woman (Jane Whitefield, #3)
  • There's Nothing to Be Afraid Of (Sharon McCone, #7)
  • Hard Truth (Anna Pigeon, #13)
  • The Best Defense (Barbara Holloway #2)
  • Cry Dance
  • Nothing Gold Can Stay (Liam Campbell, #3)
  • Death at Sandringham House (Her Majesty Investigates #2)
  • Little Saigon
  • The Ragman's Memory (Joe Gunther #7)
  • Death Trap (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #10)
  • Gun Shy (A Blanco County Mystery #5)
  • The Judas Judge (Kevin Kerney, #5)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann
More about J.A. Jance...
Desert Heat (Joanna Brady, #1) Until Proven Guilty (J.P. Beaumont #1) Fire and Ice (J.P. Beaumont, #19 / Joanna Brady, #14) Betrayal of Trust (J.P. Beaumont, #20) Partner in Crime (J.P. Beaumont, #16 / Joanna Brady, #10)

“One of the biggest mistakes a man can make is to work too goddamned much. First you drank so much it got you in trouble, and now you're gonna work so much it'll be the same damn thing. Society ain't as hard on workaholics as it is on the other kind, but it's still just as bad for you in the long run, just as hard on your system,” 0 likes
“how easy it is to hand out advice and how hard it is to take it.” 0 likes