Start by marking “Heritage of the Desert” as Want to Read:
Read Book* *Different edition

Heritage of the Desert

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  379 ratings  ·  26 reviews present you this new edition. The words stung John Hare's fainting spirit into life. He opened his eyes. The desert still stretched before him, the appalling thing that had overpowered him with its deceiving purple distance. Near by stood a sombre group of men.
Published September 15th 2010 by Pubone.Info (first published 1910)

To ask other readers questions about Heritage of the Desert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heritage of the Desert

Richard Ward
Aug 15, 2015 Richard Ward rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the author only.
A "gentile" wanderer finds himself drawn into a feud in Mormon country among cattlemen and rustlers, while falling in love with a young woman who is not sure she wants to be Mormon. If you've read Riders Of The Purple Sage then when you read this one it'll be déjà vu all over again. The characters, the story, and, even more so, the setting will all remind you of that better book. If you haven't read Riders Of The Purple Sage yet, read it instead. It is one of the greatest western novels ever wri ...more
Thom Swennes
Oct 04, 2012 Thom Swennes rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Western lovers
Without a doubt Silver Mane, a wild mustang desert stallion, is the hero of The Heritage of the Desert by Zane Grey. This seriocomic narrative takes place on the desolate plains of southern Utah in the mid-1870’s. Sheep and beef dominate the high western plains and water is the only drawback. As in most of Grey's stories, love makes a sub-theme and in this case it is between the cowboy and an Indian maiden. The story explores and reveals Mormon values and family life. Polygamy was still an accep ...more
This novel was predictable and rather trite, but as Zane Gray's first western, this was only the starting point for a writer who would grow a great deal. Not susprisingly, considering that the book was written in 1910, the novel reflects some pretty stereotypical notions of Navajos as "noble savages," an idea circulating strongly in America at that time. Ultimately, what is most memorable about this novel are the loving, impassioned descriptions of the Utah and Arizona desert, filled with their ...more
I am interested in the history of the Lee's Ferry and House Rock Valley areas of Arizona. I knew that Zane Grey had spent time there and that this story was loosely based on the people he knew there, primarily Jim Emet. So this was part of my enjoyment of the book, but I was surprised how much I liked reading this just for the story. For one thing, the romance is really sweet.
Will Plunkett
Apparently, this was meant to be Grey's version of the story. It was re-done based on his notes. I should read others of his books to get a better feel for his style of course, but the descriptions were strong and full of imagery. I can't say I was surprised at the ending, but getting there was arduous, just like the journeys of the characters.
So I enjoyed Riders of the Purple Sage and thought I would try again. This was a nice story. A young man travels west to improve his health. Consumption... TB. He gets into trouble with rustlers and ranchers but then is adopted by a very generous hearted Mormon rancher. He works on the ranch and his health improves to the point that he is robust and this is no longer an issue. The magic of the west and a working ranch. He falls in love with a half-Indian girl. She is betrothed to the evil son of ...more
Claude Bealer
Heritage of the Desert

This is another one of Zane Grey's classics. I particularly enjoyed his description of a journey across the painted desert. He develops each .main character in the story in a way that captures your full attention and makes it hard for you put the book down. This book is in the public domain. It is a great read!!
I really loved this book. The description, the emotion, the story, the romance, all were perfectly written and paced. The desert is a deadly place, and Hare really became a man because of it. Even though it was written years ago, this book can stand up to any book written today for excitement, morality, and honour.
Larry Gerdes
Good story line.

It was not what I had expected from a Zane Grey book, but it was good. It is more of a love story than a western. But good!!!!
Phil Clymer
A fun fast moving story with the usual mix of heroes and villains.
Jim Corson
Still a pretty good read after 60 years.
This one was hard for me to rate as westerns are not a genre I've read before nor have I ever read Zane Grey. It was well written, the good guys win in the end and the area around the Grand Canyon was glorious. I'm glad I read it, but wouldn't read another.
Fredrick Danysh
A romantic western by Zane Grey. John Hare is dying in the desert until he is rescued by a rancher. He gets drawn into a land dispute that also involves a beautiful woman.
This is my favorite Zane Grey so far! Couldn't put it down. I was almost late for work twice!!
Beautiful love story on the edge of the desert!!!!!!!! Please read!
100 years after the original publication of his first book we get a chance to read a version that has not been re-written by the editors & publishers.
I adore Zane Grey. I especially like the way he describes the scenery of the Southwest deserts. Very predictable material, but SO fun.
In the upper half of Grey's stories, emphasizing the spiritual and natural elements of the West.
May 28, 2013 Jim rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Jim by: Previous novels
Yes, I liked this novel. I am planning to read all of his novels.
Mark W. Cole
In the end the good guy shoots the bad guy and gets the girl.
It is predictable but well done, and I enjoyed it.
Zane Grey's first western. I can see why he wrote more.
Kind of boring for a western.
Sheila marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
KH added it
Nov 16, 2015
Bill Underwood
Bill Underwood is currently reading it
Nov 15, 2015
Beiza added it
Nov 12, 2015
  • The Night Horseman
  • Rebel Spurs
  • The Californios
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
Pearl Zane Grey was an American author best known for his popular adventure novels and stories that presented an idealized image of the rugged Old West. As of June 2007, the Internet Movie Database credits Grey with 110 films, one TV episode, and a series, Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater based loosely on his novels and short stories.
More about Zane Grey...