Start by marking “The Courtesan's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Courtesan's Daughter

The Courtesan's Daughter

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  113 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Phano is almost 15, the traditional age for a woman to marry in ancient Athens. She is in love with Theo, who is 30–the traditional age for a man to marry. But marriage may not be an option for her. Her stepmother’s enemy, Phrynion, claims that Phano is not really a free woman but a slave who belongs to him, and he is ready to sell her if he can get his hands on her.

Phano,
Library Binding, 272 pages
Published October 8th 2002 by Delacorte Press Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Courtesan's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Courtesan's Daughter

Sam Grace
The reason this book got four stars instead of two was because it retells a story I think is awesome and I haven't seen retold elsewhere: the legal case against the infamous courtesan Neaira. It's set in ancient Athens, and unlike virtually every other novel I've read, it's an ancient Greece I can believe in. And yet, still manages to make women awesome.

The main character is less awesome. She's okay, a two star character, but the world of women around her is so interesting that I forgive Prisc
Kricket
Feb 24, 2008 Kricket rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned, 2008
i love ancient greece. i even think courtesans are pretty interesting, and i'm always up for a good rant about patriarchal societies. so why was this book so boring? maybe because the bland narrator had bland observations and not a single thought she could call her own. and yet all the while her future fiance is admiring her for her wit and liveliness. clearly he saw something i did not.
Mia
Mar 23, 2012 Mia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010plus
I picked this up while perusing the library, it's title intrigued me and I like ancient civilizations. I was disappointed. The main character, Phano, has all the attributes of a strong character but because of the way she was written came across as a whiny child to me. When she hurt I did not feel as a reader should towards a heroine. This story seem like it would be an interesting one, it is even based on true lives to an extent. The book lacked details, it felt very bland, the details it did c ...more
Kayley
Jan 04, 2013 Kayley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have read many a historical fiction book, and this one, while being well-written and using good imagery at some parts, has kind of a placebo effect. The author is trying desperately to paint a femme fatale character, but allows her to have so many characteristics of a obedient wife and daughter. You start rallying behind Phano's spirit, and then she blurts out something about being a good and doting wife and knowing how to please her husband, and you deflate again. The novel is full of those m ...more
Maddy
Mar 30, 2012 Maddy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I loved Galloway's Truly Grim Tales so much, and was somewhat disappointed. First of all, our culture has had its way with me - I can't think of a romance between a 15 year old girl and a 30 year old guy as anything other than "ick". Also, I was annoyed that Galloway seems to have decided that the commonplace homosexual relationships between men in ancient Greece cannot be mentioned. You had a good opportunity to talk to contemporary youth about LBGT issues, Galloway, an ...more
Jori Richardson
A very average book that is not all that well written, especially in terms of characters. The author did a better job with the setting, and the reader does admittedly get a picture of Ancient Greece in Athens. However, that is about all that I could really find to enjoy about this book. All of the characters were lifeless and bland, and the events seemed predictable and inconsequential at best. The reader constantly feels very removed from the story.
Okay... not that great.
Phair
Was surprised how much I enjoyed this: involving, great history, good characters. Have not read a lot set in this period Greece. Apparently the story is based on actual court documents that have survived and the afterword explained the sources used. I was especially impressed with the cover art which matched the book's description of the character exactly- that seldom happens. I was also pleased that a goose featured prominently in the story. I like geese.
Sep 07, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick and easy read. It was interesting, but could definitely have been better. I picked it up in the adult fiction section, but I think it belongs in adolescent fiction. I would have liked more detail about the period.
Brillare
Nov 05, 2008 Brillare marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The reviews don't look very good, but I'll stick it on my to-read list and give it a try...someday...maybe.
Caitlín (Ink Mage)
I put this down at about page 184 because I realized I just did not care and was wasting my time.
Elizabeth
This book has practically no plot, and therefore is not very interesting to read.
Jess
Nov 05, 2008 Jess rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
This book very nearly bored me to tears.
Penwiper
May 01, 2010 Penwiper marked it as unfinished-wont-revisit  ·  review of another edition
Writing style very dull.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Megan
Megan added it
Jan 17, 2016
Sarai Lillie
Sarai Lillie marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Keevin
Keevin rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Yesenia
Yesenia marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Ivana Sandén
Ivana Sandén marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Grace
Grace rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Tessa
Tessa rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2015
Matilde
Matilde marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Elise
Elise marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Mandy Hansen
Mandy Hansen marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Linda Pizzi
Linda Pizzi marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Trojan War
  • Women in the Classical World: Image and Text
  • Women's Life in Greece and Rome: A Source Book in Translation
  • Greek Art and Archaeology
  • The Return from Troy
  • Age Of Bronze Volume 3A: Betrayal (Part One)
  • The Fall of Troy
  • Tales from the Odyssey, Part 2
  • Greek Religion
  • Classical Gods And Heroes
  • Letters and Sayings of Epicurus (Barnes & Noble Library of Essential Reading)
  • Song of Wrath: The Peloponnesian War Begins
  • Travelling Heroes: Greeks and Their Myths in the Epic Age of Homer
  • History of the Theatre
  • An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon
  • The Greek Treasure
  • Homer's Daughter
  • The Way of the Jedi (Star Wars: The Clone Wars Decide Your Destiny, #1)