Start by marking “This Place On Earth: Home And The Practice Of Permanence” as Want to Read:
This Place On Earth: Home And The Practice Of Permanence

This Place On Earth: Home And The Practice Of Permanence

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  39 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Alan Durning spent several years traveling the world as an environmental policy analyst. When a Filipino tribeswoman asked him to describe his home, he found that he could not, answering weakly, "In America, we have careers, not places." Determined to change all that, he brought his family to his native Northwest to make a home--by which Durning means learning the geology ...more
Hardcover
Published by Sasquatch Books

To ask other readers questions about This Place On Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Place On Earth

Rosemary
Jan 14, 2014 Rosemary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Pacific Northwest (including Canada's Pacific Southwest) is one of the more environmental regions in North America, which doesn't mean it doesn't still have a long way to go.
Alan Thein Durning, with a book jacket comment from David Suzuki, Canada's top environmentalist, knits together personal lives, neighborhood life and regional practices (forestry, salmon conservation, municipal policies, state policies) to help us understand what is collectively being done to our corner of the earth. Slo
Stacy
Jan 18, 2016 Stacy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some how/when/where, this book ended up on my bookshelf. I'm so glad that I finally picked it up and read it... a book based in the Pacific NW that discusses the environment along with our impact on land, animals and air, is a book for me! While this book was written over 20 years ago, it might as well have been written last year, due to the issues that we are still facing... it's sad to think that people were aware of our (negative) impact on much of our surroundings, yet their knowledge did no ...more
Beth Barnett
May 28, 2007 Beth Barnett rated it liked it
If you can get past Durning's frequent digressions into his own personal life experiences, this book is a decent read. Creative non-fiction style, Durning approaches the question of whether being rooted in a geographical place, and having a commitment to a place and community is more valuable than the freedom to move around and feel attached to nothing.
Christine
This didn't help very much as a resource for an essay I'm working on as it's written very specifically for and about the Pacific Northwest ... but it did leave me wanting to create something similar for my bioregion.
David
Dec 29, 2008 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Not only is this a terrific book connecting personal sense of home to broader global concerns, it also gives great details about the Pacific Northwest--the best place on earth.
Betsy
Jul 22, 2012 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gaia, x2012
Great look at the politics, ecology and history of the Pacific Northwest. The juxtaposition with the personal keeps the abstract from being too overwhelming.
Beth
Jul 30, 2012 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alan Thein Durning weaves his personal story of reconnecting with the Pacific Northwest with more broader views of what it takes to have a sustainable place.
Heather
Jul 03, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. It really made me think about people and architecture and how we lead our lives. I need to read it again!
Stephanie Nelson
Stephanie Nelson marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Arlo
Arlo marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Mary Compton
Mary Compton marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
New Atlantis
New Atlantis marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Harman
Harman marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2015
Monica
Monica added it
Sep 10, 2015
James Duane Nickel
James Duane Nickel rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2015
Tyler
Tyler added it
Nov 26, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Katharine Jose
Katharine Jose marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Taryn
Taryn rated it liked it
May 30, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2013
Laurel Narizny
Laurel Narizny marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2013