Start by marking “God Is My Co-Pilot” as Want to Read:
God Is My Co-Pilot

God Is My Co-Pilot

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Story of a combat pilot in World War II.
Published October 12th 1983 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1943)

To ask other readers questions about God Is My Co-Pilot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God Is My Co-Pilot

Brian Rueger
Jan 07, 2011 Brian Rueger rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
Shelves: war
This is one of the first book I ever read. My father served during WWII and was part of the successor to the Flying Tigers. This book really influenced me in that I wanted to learn to fly and then go into the military. After this book, I read just about everything I could get my hands on concerning WWII fighter pilots.
Edward Guillaume
Found this in my library collecting dust, but after reading it I was more than amazed of Robert L. Scott's account as a pilot. Published during the war, it can be seen as a propaganda piece, but I did find a lot of honesty in his accounts and even respect for the skill of the Japanese pilots and that the Imperial forces shouldn't be underestimated. He flew the P-40E, which is by no means a turn fighter against the Japenese Nate, Oscar and "Zeros" (which is what he refers to as the enemy planes; ...more
The novel God Is My Co-Pilot by Colonel Robert L. Scott was a very intense and interactive story. This work of non-fiction was exciting and never fostered a boring moment.

The story begins with twelve-year-old Robert Scott executing a carelessly planned prank on his church congregation. He is punished by his preacher and lashes out in vengeance. Young Scott carves a fifty-foot piece of canvas from a makeshift church tent and uses it to build a glider. Scott attempts to fly the glider and crashes
God is My Copilot belongs in the top tier of aviation history books. It follows General Scott's early career in the Air Force and throughout WWII. The majority of the book covers his role as commander of the AVG, a collection of some of the best fighter pilots of WWII, many of whom came from the infamous Flying Tigers. He provides a perspective from the seldom talked about front of the China Burma India Theater.

One of my favorite stories of the book is when he's virtually the only fighter at an
Brad Nerkowski
so far this story has been about robert l scotts journy to become a piolit. he bought his first plane at an auction for 75 dollars. and later joined the army's aircraft divioson.

this is my book review

PUBLISHED MAY, 1956 genre: nonfiction
Robert L. Scott wrote this book about his adventures as a mail carrier during horrible storms, getting lost over the Atlantic Ocean, running rescue missions in China for the Flying Tigers, and going2 miles over the top of
I liked this book a lot, especially because it was a neat jumping off point to another discussion with my grandpa about his experience in China Burma India in 1943 to the end of the war. He read the book 60 years ago, and my reading of it now is making him want to dig out his copy and try it again.

It was neat to have my grandpa's opinion on some of the book. He said he remembered the places the pilot was talking about, saw the top of Mt. Everest one time, and remembers clearly listening to the T
Feb 14, 2008 Nick rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone intersted in ww2 or flying
This a great story of a ww2 pilot. He wrote this book about his adventures as a mail carrier during horriale storms, getting lost over the Atlantic Ocean, running rescue missions on in China for the Flying Tigers, and going almost to the top of Mount Everest. He was a amazing pilot and wrote a great book. He was a not allowed at first to fly because he was to old. So they made him a fighter pilot instructor. When he heard that he was mad because his whole life he wanted to be a fighter pilot. So ...more
Jack Hwang
Great personal stories about the early phase of 14th AF in China, right after the disband of the AVG (Flying Tiger).
Keith Slade
Seemed good when I read it. Hard to remember the details now.
M.D. Meyer
Read this when I was young.
Perhaps this book is nothing more than a propaganda piece from the 1940s, but as a twelve-year-old boy, this book grabbed my attention like none other. I found an original print of it one fine summer in Greensboro, Vermont at the local library during a book sale and purchased it for 50 cents. My life has never been the same.
This is one that my dad recommended to me--he'd read it as a young man. I now would have to second dad's recommendation and would recommend to anyone interested in learning more about World War II. Keep in mind the time frame in which it was written and pair it up with a general WWII history.
Michael Ellickson
Despite the title, this is not a book on religion. It's an autobiography of Robert L. Scott, who fought in Burma/China during WWII as a member of the U.S. Army Air Corp. It's an interesting read.
Classic WWII tale of a man who knew what he wanted and went after it letting no seeming impossible obstacles prevent him from attaining his goal. Great life lessons and great story telling!
Chris Gager
I remember almost nothig about it except that it was about flying the "Hump" in WW2 SE Asia. One of my Scholastic Magazine books in Jr. High. Date read is a guess.
Met the author after a speech in Warner Robins, Georgia in the late 1980's. Wonderful book, humble man.
Rob Roy
War time propaganda, but a fun read. Just don't think of it as history
Frieda Davison
One of his squadron is on the Spartanburg Veterans' Memorial
Bertram Hoddinott
I have an autographed copy if this book.
A grest read and well written.
Great story of a P40 pilot in WW2.
Ryan E Kovar
Ryan E Kovar marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Charles H Berlemann Jr
Charles H Berlemann Jr marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
James marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
John marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Carol Hampf
Carol Hampf marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
  • Stuka Pilot
  • Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
  • I Could Never Be So Lucky Again
  • Fighter Pilot: The Memoirs of Legendary Ace Robin Olds
  • The Blond Knight Of Germany: a biography of... Erich Hartmann
  • Thud Ridge: F-105 Thunderchief missions over Vietnam
  • Japanese Destroyer Captain: Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal, Midway - The Great Naval Battles As Seen Through Japanese Eyes
  • The Big Show: The Greatest Pilot's Story of World War II
  • The First And The Last
  • Brazen Chariots
  • Flying Tigers: Claire Chennault and His American Volunteers, 1941-1942
  • Press On!
  • I Flew for the Führer
  • Samurai!
  • Wahoo: The Patrols of America's Most Famous World War II Submarine
  • Bringing the Thunder: The Missions of a World War II B-29 Pilot in the Pacific (Stackpole Military History)
  • Brave Men