Start by marking “The Chicago Manual of Style” as Want to Read:
The Chicago Manual of Style

The Chicago Manual of Style

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  4,103 ratings  ·  185 reviews
The Fifteenth Edition is available in book form and as a subscription Web site. The same content fromThe Chicago Manual of Style is in both versions.

In the 1890s, a proofreader at the University of Chicago Press prepared a single sheet of typographic fundamentals intended as a guide for the University community. That sheet grew into a pamphlet, and the pamphlet grew into a
Hardcover, 15th , 956 pages
Published August 1st 2003 by The University of Chicago Press (first published 1906)

To ask other readers questions about The Chicago Manual of Style, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chicago Manual of Style

Mark
It doesn't matter if you're a fan of MLA, AP, or even (dare I say it) Franklin Covey, the Chicago Manual of Style will never let real-world writers and editors* down. Sure, at first you'll stagger through its appendix and feel overwhelmed by the layout, but rest assured, with time, you'll come to rely on it like your trusty blankey that has always been there for you through all these years.

*By real-world writers and editors, I mean that elitist class of people who poo poo on people who write for
Erik Graff
Jan 26, 2015 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: editors/students/authors
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: reference
Having been laid off from my happy position at Loyola University Chicago, having no luck at finding a similar position there or elsewhere and being semi-employed by a small academic publishing house, I decided to get serious about another career. So, I started publishing lots reviews and one scholarly article and began trying to drum up editorial work. Being already familiar with the MLA style, I picked up a copy of the Chicago Manual of Style and read through the whole thing. It wasn't so bad. ...more
Katherine
Oct 26, 2007 Katherine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: editors, authors who work with editors, snarky people
My Bible.

Why did they have to change the rule about a bold or italic punctuation mark being set bold or italic according to the preceding typeface?

Why don't they include better samples of how to abbreviate journal titles for Documentation II style?

Why is the index still horrendous?

I use this book every single day, even if I'm just threatening my dog with it to get her off the furniture.
Miriam
Jun 22, 2008 Miriam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: writers, especially of non-fiction
Recommended to Miriam by: my dissertation advisor (and it was more an order than a recomme
Shelves: non-fiction
Too heavy, too expensive, and too orange. Other than that, it is great! Very thorough and well-organized. This is the only style guide I've had where I could both locate the information I needed quickly and get a sufficiently clear and complete explanation to be sure how it applied to my own writing.
Will
Feb 23, 2012 Will is currently reading it
Memo to Goodreads admin people: the 15th edition is old hat. Nowadays it is the 16th edition that is authoritative. The once-proud 15th edition has had its pedestal tugged out from under it. Only losers refer to the old-fashioned, outmoded, antiquated 15th edition anymore, or even hold on to their copy. Screw the 15th edition.

Please create a listing for the Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition. I'd like to post a review complaining that I see few differences between it and the 15th edition (wh
Lavina
The serial comma is a beautiful, perfect thing. This book is nowhere near perfect, but there's nothing else like it.
Mariana
This is the book that should be in every drawer in every hotel room. I'll get right on the phone with the Gideons.
Clare Fitzgerald
At my fancy new freelance gig there is often some downtime between jobs, which, after having examined all of the house style guides multiple times I decided to use to review the CMoS, since I haven’t actually had to use it in a while. And that, dear reader, is how I ended up reading the entire Chicago Manual of Style, Fifteenth Edition, by the University of Chicago Press, cover to cover. (Yes, I know that’s not how style guides are mean to be read.) (And yes, I know there are sixteen editions, b ...more
Betsy
Anyone who aspires to be an editor of any sort -- developmental, line, but especially copy -- must buy this book and learn how to find what's in it quickly and easily. It seems every other person I meet these days describes herself as an editor, but I rather doubt that they really know what that means. Being literate and knowing about the serial comma do not make you an editor. The U of C Manual of Style is indispensable, a must-have. And when each new, thick, and expensive edition is published, ...more
Katherine
Don't edit copy without it.
Jeanne
One of my students gave me a Barnes and Noble gift certificate at the end of school term. It was enough to cover the hefty price of this manual. I have been wanting to buy this for a long time and I will be using it for years, so the price is really not as great as the value.
Amanda
I guess I can't really say that I've read this book, but I've definitely used it. Few books have kept me up later into the night. When you find a really great exposition on dashes and hyphens, who needs sleep???
Craig Pearson
Very dry subject matter. Bad memories of all the writing needed for my master's program. I understand the need for conformity but my simple mind could not get past the complex rules of writing.
Sin St.
This is a book to be revered. If more of the aspiring writers who upload their works to Kindle and Nook spent a month or two getting acquainted with its contents, they could avoid the kinds of mistakes that anger readers. Almost every reader has some grammar pet peeve. The thing that drives them up the wall may not even register with you.

There are various works online and in print that claim to be the "Bible" of self publishing. This is the only book that is Bible of the industry. Whether you ha
Silke
Ok, I'll admit I have not read it cover to cover...
Earl Russell
An Author’s Toolbox

The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th Edition
University of Chicago Press Staff

My publisher pushed me back to The Chicago Manual of Style after a career of writing under the guidelines of the American Psychological Association. I pored over the pages of the Chicago Manual for days as I readied my manuscript for publishing.

I found an unexpected pleasure in using the Manual again, rediscovering a sense of the familiar and a long-tested accretion of editorial wisdom and guidance. The
Tracy E. Hieatt
I love Chicago style. There are very few things I can't find the answers to here. And if there is no answer or a vague one, Chicago is somewhat flexible. Just pick a method and be consistent in the document. Search the Chicago Style FAQs too for peculiarities. This pairs nicely with A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, Eighth Edition: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers if you are a history major in college.
Karen Hardin
Ok, well does anyone actually read this like a normal book? Of course not. But it is THE Bible for editing, publishing and formatting. A must for the writer's library.
V.
I actual had to read this for a class. I felt like the plot dragged a little, and there was this obnoxious character named "Semi-colon" who kept popping up.
Therese
Feb 26, 2008 Therese rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers, editors, trivia nuts
Recommended to Therese by: Copyeditors' Listserve
Shelves: non-fiction
I found the details of what constitutes the parts of a book really interesting -- I'd never even considered that there was such a thing as, or special names and requirements for, the 'front matter' and 'end matter' and the parts in between. I know this is meant as a reference book for editors, but when I first got this book for work, I sat down & read many of the chapters.

I've been using CMoS since 2000, and am now using the 15th Edition (released in 2003). Indispensible for copyediting, ass
Richard Hernandez
A required reference book for any journalist or writer. Sits next to Strunk & White's Elements of Style on my shelf.
Colleen
I only had to read three sections of this for a publishing program I will be attending in a few weeks. The sections I read were pg. 3-109, 201-348, & 619-649. What I read was incredibly informative and I was shocked to find that a lot of the basic grammar I've been taught over the years (ie, don't end a sentence with a preposition, don't start a sentence with a conjunction, etc.) was incorrect. The sections I read are covered in highlighter, pen, and Post-It notes, so when I have time I'd lo ...more
Tara Lynn
Helping my boss to edit his paperwork is one thing. I do work in a lab, and have a reasonably sound science background with more than my fair share of written papers for peer review.

So, can I present a question to the gods of academic writing...?

Why can't you all just pick an academic writing style, declare it to be THE ONE, and then stick to it?

Back in psych, I had to un-learn my trusty MLA formatting to learn APA formatting, only to come here and unlearn my APA formatting to learn The Chicag
Michael P.
If you are a student or anyone who writes professionally in the political sciences, I HIGHLY recommend the purchase and use of this book. I added notated tabs on the side of mine, so that I could quickly reference the sections I found myself using most often (or the the tools of writing I used often that I wanted to refer back to in the CMS). It is a slightly more expensive book purchase, to be sure, but worth every single penny. Clear. Concise. And most of all, easy to use. I am in love with th ...more
Leah Cole
The best investment any self published author can make!
Joe
I did it. Am I the king of publishing now?
Logan
I read/skimmed through this entire thing when I was working on a lot of technical documentation. Very helpful to have a standard.
Lillian Angelovic
Always on my desk.
Max Lybbert
Yes, back when I flirted with becoming a writer.

This edition has a lot of bookmaking process descriptions in it. The Chicago Manual of Style is useful if you want to write reference books; but not so useful if you want to write research papers, magazine articles or fiction.

There are several sections that make the book worth the cover price to the right person (discussion on copyright law, discussion of printing/binding process, discussion of ISBN scheme).
Monica Benavides
Excellent tool for writing papers and doing research.
Indie and Self-Pu...: Does anyone have this book? 1 9 Jun 16, 2013 09:39AM
  • The Copyeditor's Handbook: A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications, with Exercises and Answer Keys
  • The Associated Press Stylebook: and Briefing on Media Law, Fully Revised and Updated [2004]
  • Garner's Modern American Usage
  • The Subversive Copy Editor: Advice from Chicago (or, How to Negotiate Good Relationships with Your Writers, Your Colleagues, and Yourself)
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
  • Roget International Thesaurus
  • A Dictionary of Modern English Usage
  • Style: Toward Clarity and Grace
  • A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers
  • Words into Type
  • Editors on Editing: What Writers Need to Know About What Editors Do
  • Developmental Editing: A Handbook for Freelancers, Authors, and Publishers
  • The Elements of Editing
  • Sin and Syntax: How to Craft Wickedly Effective Prose
  • A Writer's Reference: With 2003 MLA Update
  • Bartlett's Familiar Quotations: A Collection of Passages, Phrases and Proverbs Traced to Their Sources in Ancient and Modern Literature
  • The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language
Manual of Style/The Elements of Style Indexes: A Chapter from The Chicago Manual of Style, 15th Edition Student Reference Book For "Everyday Mathematics," Grade 4 Everyday Mathematics, Grade 4   Student Math Journal, Volume 2 My Reference Book for "Everyday Mathematics," Grade 1 and 2