Start by marking “The Chicago Manual of Style” as Want to Read:
The Chicago Manual of Style

The Chicago Manual of Style

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,894 Ratings  ·  211 Reviews
The 15th edition of The Chicago Manual of Style has been superseded by the 16th edition.

In the 1890s, a proofreader at the University of Chicago Press prepared a single sheet of typographic fundamentals intended as a guide for the University community. That sheet grew into a pamphlet, and the pamphlet grew into a book—the first edition of the Manual of Style, published
Hardcover, 15th , 956 pages
Published August 1st 2003 by The University of Chicago Press (first published 1906)

Mark
Apr 16, 2008 Mark rated it it was amazing
It doesn't matter if you're a fan of MLA, AP, or even (dare I say it) Franklin Covey, the Chicago Manual of Style will never let real-world writers and editors* down. Sure, at first you'll stagger through its appendix and feel overwhelmed by the layout, but rest assured, with time, you'll come to rely on it like your trusty blankey that has always been there for you through all these years.

*By real-world writers and editors, I mean that elitist class of people who poo poo on people who write for
Katherine
Oct 26, 2007 Katherine rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: editors, authors who work with editors, snarky people
My Bible.

Why did they have to change the rule about a bold or italic punctuation mark being set bold or italic according to the preceding typeface?

Why don't they include better samples of how to abbreviate journal titles for Documentation II style?

Why is the index still horrendous?

I use this book every single day, even if I'm just threatening my dog with it to get her off the furniture.
Miriam
Jun 22, 2008 Miriam rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: writers, especially of non-fiction
Recommended to Miriam by: my dissertation advisor (and it was more an order than a recomme
Shelves: non-fiction
Too heavy, too expensive, and too orange. Other than that, it is great! Very thorough and well-organized. This is the only style guide I've had where I could both locate the information I needed quickly and get a sufficiently clear and complete explanation to be sure how it applied to my own writing.
Will
Feb 23, 2012 Will is currently reading it
Memo to Goodreads admin people: the 15th edition is old hat. Nowadays it is the 16th edition that is authoritative. The once-proud 15th edition has had its pedestal tugged out from under it. Only losers refer to the old-fashioned, outmoded, antiquated 15th edition anymore, or even hold on to their copy. Screw the 15th edition.

Please create a listing for the Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition. I'd like to post a review complaining that I see few differences between it and the 15th edition (wh
Erik Graff
Jan 26, 2015 Erik Graff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: editors/students/authors
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: reference
Having been laid off from my happy position at Loyola University Chicago, having no luck at finding a similar position there or elsewhere and being semi-employed by a small academic publishing house, I decided to get serious about another career. So, I started publishing lots reviews and one scholarly article and began trying to drum up editorial work. Being already familiar with the MLA style, I picked up a copy of the Chicago Manual of Style and read through the whole thing. It wasn't so bad. ...more
Steven
May 13, 2016 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: academic, writing
I was working on an essay for which I had to cite a particularly bibliographically complex book; it was a commentary by Averroës, translated by one person, introduced by another, and edited by yet another poor soul. I hadn't a clue how to formulate all the relevant information in my bibliography. Throughout my psychology master’s program, it was easy: it was all APA, everything was always APA. But now I realized that, for my philosophical essays, I hadn't been conforming to any particular system ...more
Lavina
Mar 21, 2007 Lavina rated it really liked it
The serial comma is a beautiful, perfect thing. This book is nowhere near perfect, but there's nothing else like it.
Clare Fitzgerald
Jul 19, 2014 Clare Fitzgerald rated it it was amazing
At my fancy new freelance gig there is often some downtime between jobs, which, after having examined all of the house style guides multiple times I decided to use to review the CMoS, since I haven’t actually had to use it in a while. And that, dear reader, is how I ended up reading the entire Chicago Manual of Style, Fifteenth Edition, by the University of Chicago Press, cover to cover. (Yes, I know that’s not how style guides are mean to be read.) (And yes, I know there are sixteen editions, b ...more
Sin Claire
Mar 09, 2015 Sin Claire rated it it was amazing
This is a book to be revered. If more of the aspiring writers who upload their works to Kindle and Nook spent a month or two getting acquainted with its contents, they could avoid the kinds of mistakes that anger readers. Almost every reader has some grammar pet peeve. The thing that drives them up the wall may not even register with you.

There are various works online and in print that claim to be the "Bible" of self publishing. This is the only book that is Bible of the industry. Whether you ha
Will
May 13, 2016 Will rated it it was amazing
Shelves: already-own
Can you read a style guide?
Yes. The middle parts of them are essentially books on grammar.
This is the best of them.
Mariana
This is the book that should be in every drawer in every hotel room. I'll get right on the phone with the Gideons.
Ioana
Dec 28, 2015 Ioana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Chicago >>>> (by orders of magnitude) MLA or APA*. And this is the best reference ever: what to do if an author translates her/his own work into another language? how to alphabetize that writer with 3 last names? what about that quote gathered from the annals of a local community committee council that seems to have no publisher? No need to fret, the Chicago Manual of Style's got your back.

* Still embittered that I couldn't convince my advisor to allow me to use Chicago (ugh, APA is
Betsy
Aug 12, 2012 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Anyone who aspires to be an editor of any sort -- developmental, line, but especially copy -- must buy this book and learn how to find what's in it quickly and easily. It seems every other person I meet these days describes herself as an editor, but I rather doubt that they really know what that means. Being literate and knowing about the serial comma do not make you an editor. The U of C Manual of Style is indispensable, a must-have. And when each new, thick, and expensive edition is published, ...more
Katherine
Nov 12, 2014 Katherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
Don't edit copy without it.
Michelle Llewellyn
This sixteenth edition, published in 2010, remains an essential resource for everyone who writes from the desperate high school student who hates English with a paper due tomorrow, to the authors and publishers in the industry who make careers out of working with words. It is our Bible and more teachers and professors need to incorporate its use into their syllabus. Too many Americans can hardly put a complete sentence together. A serious study of this book will give you a whole new perspective, ...more
Jeanne
Feb 25, 2010 Jeanne rated it it was amazing
One of my students gave me a Barnes and Noble gift certificate at the end of school term. It was enough to cover the hefty price of this manual. I have been wanting to buy this for a long time and I will be using it for years, so the price is really not as great as the value.
Richard
Jan 12, 2016 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, so I didn't actually read every single word, but I did go through this thoroughly as part of a class on editing.

The Bible. Accept no substitutes.

(And if you don't use Oxford commas, there is just no hope for you.)
Amanda
Feb 27, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing
I guess I can't really say that I've read this book, but I've definitely used it. Few books have kept me up later into the night. When you find a really great exposition on dashes and hyphens, who needs sleep???
Craig Pearson
Nov 25, 2014 Craig Pearson rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed
Very dry subject matter. Bad memories of all the writing needed for my master's program. I understand the need for conformity but my simple mind could not get past the complex rules of writing.
Silke
Feb 16, 2012 Silke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I'll admit I have not read it cover to cover...
Kristina
Mar 27, 2013 Kristina rated it liked it
Shockingly readable. It was work-related anyway!
Earl Russell
Jan 08, 2014 Earl Russell rated it liked it
An Author’s Toolbox

The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th Edition
University of Chicago Press Staff

My publisher pushed me back to The Chicago Manual of Style after a career of writing under the guidelines of the American Psychological Association. I pored over the pages of the Chicago Manual for days as I readied my manuscript for publishing.

I found an unexpected pleasure in using the Manual again, rediscovering a sense of the familiar and a long-tested accretion of editorial wisdom and guidance. The
Jay McNair
Jul 24, 2016 Jay McNair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: typography
I don't know if I've ever read a reference book cover to cover before, but Chicago made it easy, fascinating, and fun. I'm not sure it's totally necessary to read it that way, but I think it's well worth it for the reward of intimate familiarity against the relatively small amount of time invested.

I was stalled for a few years in the Index section but finally decided to finish the thing.

Beautifully organized, carefully written, and authoritative by virtue of thoughtfulness.
Ramon Somoza
Aug 21, 2016 Ramon Somoza rated it it was amazing
Shelves: referencia
Over a 1000 pages of style recommendations, including grammar and usage, punctuation, spelling, quotations and much more. It even has a chapter about foreign languages. Of special interest are the beginning chapters about manuscript preparation or copyrights. Surprisingly, given its origins, it has an appendix about electronic publications (web pages, e-books...).
A classic that should be the reference work for anybody writing professionally in English. Highly recommended.
Beth Hill
Apr 03, 2016 Beth Hill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend CMOS every chance I get. If you're a fiction writer or editor, this is a must-have reference. The answers you're looking for regarding style choices are here. Or if they're not, you can make reasoned choices based on what is in this book. The rules, guidelines, and suggestions tend to be for American English usage, yet CMOS often provides information for those needing information for British English usage as well. Buy this one. And then use it.
Darius
Jun 27, 2016 Darius rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This dense manual is comprehensive. It doesn't really need any review that I could offer as it is the most widely used style manual in the US. But I have to say the 16th edition is spot-on and a necessary reference for anyone serious about editing and publishing. If you like sprawling epic tomes filled with practical information and bursting with examples of proper punctuation, grammar, word usage, and spelling, then you'll love this one.
Royce Ratterman
Mar 30, 2016 Royce Ratterman rated it really liked it
Overall, a good book for the writer, researcher and enthusiast.
Read for personal research and course instruction.
- found this book's contents helpful and inspiring - number rating relates to the book's contribution to my needs.
Tracy E.
Mar 12, 2014 Tracy E. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Chicago style. There are very few things I can't find the answers to here. And if there is no answer or a vague one, Chicago is somewhat flexible. Just pick a method and be consistent in the document. Search the Chicago Style FAQs too for peculiarities. This pairs nicely with A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, Eighth Edition: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers if you are a history major in college.
Karen Hardin
May 30, 2014 Karen Hardin rated it it was amazing
Ok, well does anyone actually read this like a normal book? Of course not. But it is THE Bible for editing, publishing and formatting. A must for the writer's library.
Chad
May 23, 2016 Chad rated it really liked it
A thorough, comprehensive resource that provides more varied and detailed solutions to my questions that Turabian has often left unanswered or unspecified.
Writers Write! : Please Help! I need help with my blog! 1 5 Jul 27, 2015 09:15AM
Indie and Self-Pu...: Does anyone have this book? 1 9 Jun 16, 2013 09:39AM
  • The Copyeditor's Handbook: A Guide for Book Publishing and Corporate Communications, with Exercises and Answer Keys
  • The Associated Press Stylebook: and Briefing on Media Law, Fully Revised and Updated [2004]
  • Garner's Modern American Usage
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • The Subversive Copy Editor: Advice from Chicago (or, How to Negotiate Good Relationships with Your Writers, Your Colleagues, and Yourself)
  • Roget International Thesaurus
  • A Dictionary of Modern English Usage
  • Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary
  • A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers
  • Words into Type
  • The Elements of Editing
  • Lapsing Into a Comma: A Curmudgeon's Guide to the Many Things That Can Go Wrong in Print--And How to Avoid Them
  • The Elements of Grammar
  • Developmental Editing: A Handbook for Freelancers, Authors, and Publishers
  • Style: Toward Clarity and Grace
  • Editors on Editing: What Writers Need to Know About What Editors Do
  • Bartlett's Familiar Quotations: A Collection of Passages, Phrases and Proverbs Traced to Their Sources in Ancient and Modern Literature
  • A Writer's Reference: With 2003 MLA Update

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »