Start by marking “King of Slippery Falls” as Want to Read:
King of Slippery Falls

King of Slippery Falls

Lewis lives in the small town of Slippery Falls, Idaho, where for some time he has dreamed of catching an enormous trout that lives in a small pool behind a waterfall. But on Lewis's sixteenth birthday, his adoptive parents hand him a letter that his real mother left with him in his baby basket. Lewis is shocked to discover that he is French and seemingly linked to French ...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published June 1st 2005 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published May 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about King of Slippery Falls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King of Slippery Falls

Carissa
Apr 28, 2008 Carissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
this one has such a fun cover that i’ve been meaning to read it for forever. it was kind of meh. about a kid who finds out when he’s 15 that he was adopted and then wants to know more about his origins. he also has a mission to catch a giant fish that he spied in a pool behind a waterfall one day. the author has this habit of using much fancier vocabulary than is really necessary that i find irritating. i suppose it might be “good” for kids to be exposed to rare words, but … here’s an example: “ ...more
Tawny
Mar 20, 2008 Tawny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sabina
Author: Sid Hite
Title: The King of Slippery Falls
Genre: magical realism/search for self novel
Publication Info: Scholastic Press, New York, 2004
Recommended Age: 11 and up
Plot Summary: Lewis Hinton attends high school in the small town of Slippery Falls, Idaho. When he turned 15, his parents revealed to him that he was adopted. One night as his father was walking down Hidden Lane, a woman with a thick accent approached him holding a basket with a baby inside. She told him to take it and disappear
Judy
I really enjoyed this book and will read more from Sid Hite. It is about teenagers (15 and 16 year olds) and is neither bleak nor depressing. The protagonist has periods of self doubt, self discovery, anxiety and confusion as we all do, but these are depicted positively; the message being that we all tell our own story with our lives, and we need to participate in order to build that story.

The parent/child relationships and adult/child relationships brim with good health but are not sentimental
Jennifer Griffith
Jul 13, 2010 Jennifer Griffith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, set in Idaho, was *almost* perfect. I loved the main character, felt for his struggles, adored the peripheral characters, and loved the mystery of it, hoped Louis/Lewis would find what he was looking for. There was even magic. The language made me long to write something so excellent. What a vocabulary this author has--and dares to use!

Then, the clunker hit.

Because I listened to this book on CD with my five children (all under 12), I loved that there was not a single bad word, nor an
Cara
Lewis finds out on his 15th birthday that he was adopted and has been struggling with his identity for a year. Then, on his 16th birthday, his mom gives him a letter from his birth mother. He finds out a little more about himself. He dealt with the news of his adoption by fishing for a huge trout that he is sure he spotted. This year he has devised a new plan for the fish, and it ends up involving the whole town.

I wanted to like this book more than I did. There were some pretty funny parts, but
Heather
Nothing was really wrong with the story, it was just OK. Lewis, a boy from a small Idaho town, 'finds himself' in somewhat predictable and unrealistic ways. The characters were hard to relate to, sounding mostly too old to be the 15-16 year old kids that they were.

Summary: While on a single-minded quest to catch an elusive giant trout, sixteen-year-old Lewis Hinton's life in a small Idaho town is turned upside-down when he learns that he is adopted and might be a descendant of French royalty.

Aud
Tamsen
Nov 29, 2012 Tamsen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story for young readers. I Love how the towns people treat Lewis when they think he is from French royalty.
Lewis Hinton is in pursuit of two things--an elusive giant trout & his true identity. .His eccentric neighbor, Mrs Baderhoovernisterah, advises him to heed the plot twisters in life. His best friend, Amanda Dot, just wants him to fall in love w/ her. And the townspeople of Slippery Falls are determined to discover if the letter from Lewis's birth mother confirms the rumor--Is he de
Christina
Dec 17, 2007 Christina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: realistic
A story about a 16 year old boy who learns he's adopted, and how that affects his life. He's been perfectly content in his small Idaho town, hanging out with best friend Amanda and working on his quest to catch the elusive giant trout he glimpsed in the river. But now, as word gets out that he might possibly be descended from King Louis IV--and folks around town tease him about it--Lewis is getting restless. But first he's gotta land that big fish--or will it land him?
Zhenhao Ren
I think this book is awesome and have very interesting details like the time where Lewis figured that he might be from a royal family. When Lewis finally found out about parts of his identity I felt happy for him because he has been searching for it for 15 years.Lewis is adopted by the Hintons when a women carrying a basket appeared.
Susan
Apr 04, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: slmta
Sep 30, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While on a single-minded quest to catch an elusive giant trout, sixteen-year-old Lewis Hinton's life in a small Idaho town is turned upside-down when he learns that he is adopted and might be a descendent of French royalty.
Chery Verano
Apr 11, 2009 Chery Verano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really amazing and had that element needed in a young-adult fiction novel... I also love how history, fantasy and romance are all combined in the story.. :D
Mr. Graham
Entertaining story. Fell short at the end.
Rachel
Good story with a nice boy as main character, lots of interesting sub-characters, has a good message. Listened to the audiobook.
Kerry
Jun 29, 2009 Kerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
An interesting and short tale about what it means to know yourself through the eyes of a 15/16 year old boy who recently finds out he is adopted. It was a quick listen over a weekend.
Katrina Bergherm
Sep 08, 2013 Katrina Bergherm rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Not worth reading. Bah.
JP
JP rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2015
Steven
Steven rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2012
Gabe
Gabe rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2011
Haley
Haley rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2012
Celeste  Knudsen
Celeste Knudsen rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2014
Carla Herniter
Carla Herniter rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2013
Nolan
Nolan rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2012
Michael moy
Michael moy rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2012
Reving
Reving rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2013
Alison
Alison rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2012
Makenzie Barski
Makenzie Barski rated it it was ok
Jul 02, 2012
Melki
Melki rated it really liked it
May 15, 2011
Marisa
Marisa rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2008
K
K rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
This book is really good. 1 3 May 25, 2008 09:51AM
“For me, writing books for a living is a grand privilege. I often feel as if I've won some sort of prize.”

Sid grew up in a family of seven in the small town of Bowling Green, Virginia. Sid says that when he was young he “had more energy than brains.” And further states that he “[wishes] it was still that way.”

Sid discovered his passion for novels in his teenage years and decided right then and the
More about Sid Hite...