The Devil's Disciples: Hitler's Inner Circle

The Devil's Disciples: Hitler's Inner Circle

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Anthony Read shows how the personalities of Hitler's inner circle developed, and how their constant jealousies and intrigues affected the regime, the war and the dictator himself.
Published April 23rd 2004 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Disciples, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Disciples

Steve
Whew! What a crew! 923 pages worth! What makes it grimly worthwhile is that Read is an excellent writer who has an eye for the character or period revealing anecdote. At times this can be quite dramatic, even cinematic, when packaged in Read's flowing prose. An early example that caught my eye was when Goering met his first wife, Carin, in 1920. On a dare, Goering, the war ace, flies a nobleman to a castle, lands on a frozen lake during a blizzard, and decides to stay the night. Goering, a fan o...more
Jill Hutchinson
This 900+ page book delves into the machinations of the Third Reich's most dangerous men, the four acolytes of Hitler and their mad grasp for power. It is not so much a history of the war but more an insight into what the usual history books don't tell us regarding the in-fighting and paranoia of Himmler, Goring, Goebbles, and Ribbentrop. Based on letters, meeting minutes and the testimony of Goring at the Nuremburg Trials, it is a magnificent telling of how these men rose to power and fought to...more
Fraser
Having read quite a few different historical books on Nazism, WWII and various battles I wasn't sure how I would take to this book.

Read gets into the mind-set of national socialism, the cult of personality, the quasi religious fanaticism, militarism the lot. He goes as far as to suggest that many competed for the attentions and approval of the Fuhrer and gives many examples of the competitive nature of the 'inner circle'. I found all of these aspects fascinating, Read's attention to detail never...more
Gail Hedlund
Long read, thought at times I was packing around a dictionary. Gave me the idea that maybe e-books would be the way to go on this one. However, it was a really interesting book. I learned a great deal about Hitler & his inner circle. What I still didn't get is what made him such a hypnotic person that people would basically sell their souls, families & freedom to follow him. Course I guess that could be said about people like Jim Jones of the People's Temple.

What I also found interesting...more
Charles Pirate
Dec 16, 2013 Charles Pirate rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with interest in World War II and a wider audience
Recommended to Charles Pirate by: Geoffrey Hughes
A masterpiece. I would give it 10 stars but not possible here five being the limit. The best book of many very good ones I have read this year. Superbly written so that the 900+ pages don't seem long enough. Brilliant insight into the paladins who surrounded Hitler and shocking in the sheer ordinariness of Himmler, the pomposity and stupdity of Hitler's 'new Bismarck' von Ribbentrop 'he married his money and bought his title' was Goebbels's acidic remark about him and the hysterical poisonous li...more
Keith
finding the first part of the book to be hard to follow, with all the different political parties and individuals..I also didn't realize that the Nazi's conflicted so much with the Communists and unions. The book would have been aided by some maps that showed the location of many of the towns / regions mentioned throughout the text...in fact, I'm not sure why more books don't include maps that at least pinpoint each of the obscure (and sometimes renamed) places. I found myself having to consult...more
Rachel
Let me first begin by saying that Anthony Read has done an outstanding job in giving a history about Hitler's most trusted men! A lot of the information is information I had never read before and found it very interesting. The 900+ book follows the lives and careers of Hermann Goring, a classic case of never wanting to grow up; Joseph Goebbels, the biggest kiss up imaginable; and Heinrich Himmler, the man almost everyone underestimated. It is unbelievable about what happened in the inner circle...more
Jason
I've read many Nazi-era books, by many authors--some well known, others not so much. I'll get the niceties out of the way and say Ian Kershaw and William Shirer stand alone.

Read, though, writes a wonderful book. Very rich on the profiles of the leading Nazis that surrounded Hitler, then meshes them together to show how they created Nazi Germany and how they destroyed it in perfect biographical form.

If you want to become and expert on Nazi Germany but don't want to invest money or time, get a l...more
Jason
I picked this up when I started Larson's In the Garden of Beasts.

It's a solid academic treatment of the subject and very informative. It really details the personalities of Hitler's lieutenants and helps one understand what kind of mindsets they had in the era of Nazi Germany.
Damián
Excelente relato que prologa desde la prisión en Nuremberg de los pocos cabecillas nazis atrapados tras la guerra y empieza desde el servicio de Hitler en la primera guerra mundial hasta su caida. Relata no solo datos biográficos e históricos de Hitler sino las maquinaciones, celos, envidias, juegos de poder y trampas de sus seguidores para ver quien se quedaba con parte del Tercer Reich cuando Hitler ya no estuviera.
Blake
An amazing understanding of how Hitler would never have become HITLER without the right setting created through the harsh restriction placed on Germany after WW1 and a very specific group of ambition men who were captivated and entranced in Hitlers carisma and believes that had been cultivated throughout his entire life.
Rick McNeely
Best work of its kind in decades. Not for the faint of heart, this is a fascinating history of the political machinations behind the Thousand Year Reich. The unintended parallels to the Bush-Cheney Era will make the well-informed queasy. First rate history.
Isabel
Too many battles and too many details about stuff I didn't want to know about. I really wanted to hear more about their lives and not necessarily about their miliary feats. I guess that is a major part of what they were,but it was hard for me to finish it.
Joe Paulk
Informative, but perhaps the author tried for too large a scope while leaving other things out. Their actual interactions with Hitler was not as well explored as the title would perhaps hint at.
Rick Hautala
It took me a while to read this massive book, but it was absolutely worth it. Fascinating (especially if you like rolling over logs and looking at squiggly bugs ... like Himmler ...)
Hadrian
A collection of biographies of several prominent figures of Nazi Germany. Gives a grudging admiration to Goering, and treats most the others as scum. Very interesting.
Bo
Very good book about Hitler's inner circle. I am fascinated by how respectable they come across while being monsters along the way. baffling.
Rachael
This book is, quite simply, flippin' fantastic! One of the best historical reference books I have ever read!
Katharine Holden
Interesting, full of detail.
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Jerry
Jerry marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Blank
Blank marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Inknscroll
Inknscroll marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Charlie Brown
Charlie Brown marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Guernsey Zoo
Guernsey Zoo marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
  • Inside Hitler's Bunker: The Last Days of the Third Reich
  • The Third Reich: A New History
  • Hitler and Stalin: Parallel Lives
  • Adolf Hitler
  • The Origins of the Final Solution: The Evolution of Nazi Jewish Policy, September 1939-March 1942
  • The Order of the Death's Head: The Story of Hitler's SS
  • The Nuremberg Interviews
  • Masters of Death: The SS-Einsatzgruppen and the Invention of the Holocaust
  • The Dictators: Hitler's Germany, Stalin's Russia
  • The Second World War: A Complete History
  • Hitler's Hangman: The Life of Heydrich
  • The Envoy: The Epic Rescue of the Last Jews of Europe in the Desperate Closing Months of World War II
  • Lenin, Stalin, and Hitler: The Age of Social Catastrophe
  • Hitler's Army: Soldiers, Nazis, and War in the Third Reich
  • Das Reich: The March of the 2nd SS Panzer Division Through France, June 1944
  • The Master Plan: Himmler's Scholars and the Holocaust
The Fall of Berlin The Case of the Disappearing Detective (Baker Street Boys) The Case of the Ranjipur Ruby (Baker Street Boys, #3) The Deadly Embrace: Hitler, Stalin and the Nazi-Soviet Pact, 1939-1941 The Case of the Captive Clairvoyant (Baker Street Boys)