Start by marking “Adjustment Team” as Want to Read:
Adjustment Team

Adjustment Team

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  1,096 ratings  ·  103 reviews
The Adjustment Bureau is a major motion picture based on Philip K. Dick's classic paranoid story, The Adjustment Team. This is the short story, The Adjustment Team, which asks the question - Do we control our destiny, or do unseen forces manipulate us? Ed Fletcher is a real estate agent with a normal life, until one day he leaves the house for work a few minutes later than ...more
Published (first published September 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Adjustment Team, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adjustment Team

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienForrest Gump by Winston GroomThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Godfather by Mario PuzoHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Books made into really good movies
215th out of 403 books — 152 voters
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienTwilight by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie Meyer
Books That Made the Box Office
111th out of 216 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat  Hooper
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Brilliance Audio has recently put Philip K. Dick’s short story The Adjustment Team on audio and they sent me a copy. This is the story that the movie The Adjustment Bureau was based on (and the name of the audiobook is The Adjustment Bureau). The story is 57 minutes of tension and psychological terror as Ed Fletcher gets to work late and accidentally sees The Adjustment Team “adjusting” his office building and its occupants. Now, unadjusted Ed notices all
Aldrin
A synopsis or a trailer for the new film titled The Adjustment Bureau reveals that Matt Damon plays David Norris, a US Senate candidate who serendipitously meets Elise Sallas, a ballerina played by Emily Blunt, and that together, following a plot complication or two, they go on the run from men in black suits and cool fedoras. The Adjustment Bureau, neither a synopsis or a trailer is likely to say, is actually based on Adjustment Team, a short story by renowned science fiction writer Philip K. D ...more
Fadzai
I was determined to read this after having watched the movie, 'The adjustment bureau' and feeling dissatisfied by what I perceived to be the un- and under- explored themes which, if addressed, would have made the movie riveting and challenging.

The short story was very different to what I had expected, set as it is in a long-gone era of cold war tensions and sexist/chauvinistic attitudes towards women (wait, maybe the latter hasn't changed so much after all...but that's another debate). However,
Benjamin Duffy
I'd been meaning to start reading Philip K. Dick for a long time now, at least for the twenty-plus years since I realized that Blade Runner and Total Recall were based on books by the same guy. Two decades and probably three or four more Dick film adaptations later, including the excellent A Scanner Darkly, the decent Minority Report, and the mediocre The Adjustment Bureau, and I'm finally getting started.

This story, the basis for that last film, was rather disappointing. It just felt skeletal a
Ian Wood

Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Although this short story, originally titled The Adjustment Team, was the basis for the film starring Matt Damon and Emily Blunt, it is very different from the movie. Overall, I really liked the short story but since it was a bit dated, I'd say I enjoyed the movie more.
Caroline
Apr 06, 2011 Caroline rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Brian and Lisette
Recommended to Caroline by: Kuspa
Walt Giersbach
The release Mar. 4, 2012, of The Adjustment Bureau, starring Matt Damon and Emily Blunt, sent some movie-goers back to their sources to review author Philip K. Dick’s oeuvre. They should. This seminal author’s 46 books and 121 short stories have been adapted to 10 films. (Confession: I have 13 Dick books on my shelves and one e-book collection of stories.)

It wasn’t always this way, in the 1950s and ‘60s when Dick was writing for pulp science fiction magazines. Jonathan Lethem notes in the forew
Jackie
I really had never herd of this story until I was given the audio book in exchange for a honest review. I must say this short story was a pleasure. Well developed and plotted out. But for me the story was made by the narrator Al Kessel. His telling of the story was great I will be keeping this story to listen again. Hos voice was not monotone drumming along to get through it he really gave depth to the story.
Sidharth Vardhan
I really don't get why sci-fi writers would want to keep these stories short. With an idea this brilliant, a whole novel is desirable which would explore in details, the various angels from which the concept could be seen. 'Adjustment Team' questions the very concepts of Free will and Determinism, with out ever using those words - however a casual reader is likely to miss the whole point. Perhaps that is why so many of Dick's stories have been turned into movies.
The theme works better where the
Adarsh
A magnificent theme.

I wonder where PKD gets his ideas from!

Adjustment Team has the makings to be an even better book that 'we can remember it for you'. But, the slightly 'less-than-awesome' climax lets it down a tiny bit.

The 'Old Man' is the almighty overseeing force. He makes subtle 'adjustments' to the Earth whenever required.

To make the adjustment, the section is de-energized and the adjustment team enters to make the necessary changes.

Due to a little clerical error, Ed Fletcher enters his of
Jeremy
I liked this more than Ubik. It's much shorter. This is the story that the movie "The Adjustment Bureau" is based on. I liked that movie so I thought I should read the story that inspired it.

There's much less of a story here since it is only a short story. The gist is the same: There's a secretive organization that stops everything in the world to change little details to make sure it all goes as it's supposed to go. I liked the tone and of course the idea is really interesting. Where it fails i
Eli Shayotovich
Watched the movie "The Adjustment Bureau" and discovered that it was based on this Philip K. Dick short story.

The movie was FANTASTIC (5/5 fantastic) so I had to read the story it was based on. Um, it's absolutely NOTHING like the movie. In fact, it's a pretty poor read. Huge kudos to the screenwriter/director, George Nolfi (of the The Bourne Ultimatum) who turned the premise of Dick's story into something truly spectacular.

Dick's story, which was first published in the Sept-Oct 1954 issue of
Katy Noyes
As often happens with sci-fi, I enjoy the film enough to locate the source book.

I listened to the audio version, and at less than an hour it would be around 30-40 pages of short story.

As you'd expect, it's a different affair to the film. More cerebral (they always are), tight, but also, as happens with Philip K. Dick, left me feeling it was incomplete. I wanted there to be more to it.

It's still an original proposition - a regular guy causes all sorts of trouble when the Adjustment team assigned
Dale
The original short story that the movie is loosely based on.

Length: 58 minutes (1 CD)
Read by Phil Gigante

Originally written in 1954 and titled The Adjustment Team , this audiobook was renamed so that it can be tied in with the movie that is very loosely based on this short story by famed science fiction writer Philip K. Dick.

The one hour length and subject matter put me in mind of an episode of the Twilight Zone - one of the really good ones where we find out the world does not work quite the w
Tressa
I liked The Adjustment Bureau. It was an interesting short story that could be interpreted in, at least, two different ways. I'm not exactly certain how to categorize the genre of the story.

The narrator, Phil Gigante, did a marvelous job with the interpretation of the characters. He injected a lot of emotion and different tones. I think he enhanced the story.

In case anyone thought that the film version of The Adjustment Bureau is anything like the actual short story, you will be disappointed. Th
The Casual Librarian
I watched the movie Adjustment Bureau and noticed at the end of the movie that it was based losely on the book, so I decided to read it. I didn't realize it was just a short story, like 18 pages or something like that. It was ok, but I thought the movie was way better. I guess maybe I was expecting more and shouldn't have. I also bought this book and now wish I had tried to rent it instead, but still, I guess whatever. It's not terrible, but not fantastic. It's a lend me book on my Nook, so I gu ...more
Jerry07
Certainly a short read, I find amazing on how Philip K. Dick influenced a few movie adaptations of wide impact and entertainment value. Certainly a prolific author with genuine novel idea for his time.
As per this short story, do not expect the theme of the "Adjustment Bureau" however - this short novel is really an extremely brief introduction of the notion of "adjustment" and fall short of any developed intrigue. Its format fits best a Twilight Zone like 30 mnts.
I would have given two stars b
Steve Egger
Classic Science Fiction. We need more of this type of imagination.
I got this book because I really enjoyed the film The Adjustment Bureau. I though it was a novel. When I opened the parcel and saw the size of the book I was extremely disappointed. I thought this was a proper book. 43 pages?! you must be joking.
anyway, its quiet a good short story. the concept is very intriguing.
It is very hard to say you like characters or not when you can barley get to know them, but I liked Ed.
I liked the style, so I think I would like to read a "proper" Philip K Dick boo
Bryan
I don't see have they can credit Philip K Dick as a writer for the movie that is based off this book. Basically the title(maybe) and a concept that a group is "adjusting" your fate. None of the characters are the same and the plot is completely different. The basic concept of the storyline does inspire some thought and reflection, which is a good thing. I like books that make me think even after I am done reading them. I may have like this better if I hadn't seen the movie first.
Romana
What the screen writers did to this short story is short of amazing. They extracted the concept and turned into a shmalzy love story. The short story, however, has the main character encounter extraordinary events, but ultimately, he is unchanged. This was my first encounter with Philip K Dick's work (aside from having seen Blade Runner a gazillion times); I'm a little disappointed, but encouraged by the sheer number of books he wrote. Still, it was enjoyable.
Abe Something
Well, if you like P.K.D., then you may like this short story. I tend to think he isn't a very good writer. His concepts often far outshine his execution. The dialogue is a bit wooden. But if you're looking for multiple descriptions of women pulling on their jeans, their breasts heaving as they breathe, pulling cotton shirts over those breasts, and how slim their waists are - you've come to the right place. 2 stars for the concept.
Jul 04, 2011 Brian rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
After seeing the Adjustment Bureau movie, I read this to see how it differed from the original material and found that they shared a basic concept a little else. The short story had the creepier feel of a Twilight Zone episode and was an interesting little story, while the movie did a very good job of modernizing the story and fleshing out the theme of free will v. predestination, before closing with a corny ending.
Brian
Sort of interesting novella listened via audiobook. Was this story interesting - the plot outline was better than the story. It definitely had a 1950s flavor to it. If you need a book about an adjustment bureau - that was really unclear even after an explanation, exactly what they were doing and need a workout book to pass the time - then the length would be ideal. Otherwise, television program might be more interesting.
Taylor
I found the short story The Adjustment Team to be a bit confusing. Since it was a short story, it was obviously very fast-moving at points. I wish that Philip Dick included more information and more details the story left questions unanswered.

Shortly after reading the short story, I rented the movie The Adjustment Bureau. It was very different from the book but it did answer some of the questions I had left.
Louise
Adjustment Team was the first Philip K. Dick story I read. I went through this quick story in preparation for the movie. The setting and characterization was sparse, but I gather that's the norm for a Philip K. Dick short story. I couldn't help thinking of scenes in Dark City when I read about the adjustment hours. I probably would have liked this story better if I hadn't known what it was about.
Brian
After seeing The Adjustment Bureau, I decided to read the short story that inspired it. The romance in the movie is absent from the story. This is one of Dick's lesser works and is accompanied by a couple other stories. The other stories are also fair. One of the good things about Dick's fiction is not knowing what's going to happen next. I figured out the outcome of these stories long before the end.
Barbara
Meh. A short, quick read. I can see how it would be the premise for a movie [The Adjustment Bureau] but I'm not sure it makes me want to see the film.

Strong descriptors. Very pedestrian. Not enough back story on why or how things got to be that way. Poor character development. And there simply just wasn't enough "oomph" in the story to keep me wanting more.

Glad it was a short piece.
  • Wonder Tales: Six French Stories of Enchantment
  • The Third Science Fiction Megapack: 26 Modern and Classic Science Fiction Tales
  • Understand
  • Missing Link
  • The Tale of The Wicked
  • The Repossession Mambo
  • Return from Witch Mountain
  • Houston, Houston, Do You Read?
  • The Science Fiction Megapack: 25 Classic Science Fiction Stories
  • Out of the Black
  • All You Zombies
  • K-Pax (K-Pax, #1)
  • The Gemini Virus
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. He briefly attended the University of California, but dropped out before completing any classes. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memo ...more
More about Philip K. Dick...
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? A Scanner Darkly The Man in the High Castle Ubik Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said