Start by marking “Jimi Hendrix: The Man, the Magic, the Truth” as Want to Read:
Jimi Hendrix: The Man, the Magic, the Truth

Jimi Hendrix: The Man, the Magic, the Truth

The genius we never understood. . . . The man we never knew. . . . The truth we never heard. . . . The music we never forgot. . . . A revealing portrait of a legend by a close and trusted friend.
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Jimi Hendrix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jimi Hendrix

Deni
I'm amazed by how close to his life I actually got through Sharon. I actually appreciate him more than I did before because of how hard he worked and because of all his sorrow during his childhood. The only part that I wanted to skip but I read anyways was the one with his estate which I'm not interested in.
And if you ask me, yes, I got teary-eyed when I just read that he died.

"A transcendental artist because he seemed to create light on the stage with the music." - Pete Townshend of The Who.
Morgan (Turbo)
Jul 28, 2010 Morgan (Turbo) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I love this book. We get to see an inside look into his life from one of his reporter friends in LA. He talks about how he writes songs, using tones and colors rather than themes. It's amazing.

I decided only to read Part 1 and 2. The last part of the book is all about what happened with his estate--something I'm not at all interested. It's amazing to me that he died at the same age I'm at now, and to think of how much he accomplished. I hope to one day master the guitar as well as he did (but sa
Jenna Baldwin
I did enjoy this book, I loved how it was written by a close friend of jimi's she was able to give us such great insight to the talented kind and beautiful person he really was , I learnt a lot of things about him I had no idea of , very well written , I wasn't keen on the chapters regarding the estate and his family fighting over his money that was quite sad and I don't think necessary but other than that I loved it
Chris
Jun 14, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
This and Kathy Etchingham's book "Through Gypsy Eyes," are the best Hendrix biographies because they were both written by people who really knew Hendrix as personal friends. Also, more detailed information about Jimi's death can be found in Eric Burdon's autobiography, "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood."
Carlos Hugo Winckler Godinho
Têm umas cem páginas de brigas por direitos autorais que só servem como documento para consulta. Para quem quiser ler, e não se encher da leitura, recomendo que pule do capítulo onde ela descobre que ele morre para o capítulo final.
Linda
DNF s. 165
Michele
I learned a lot about Jimi. He was so incredible talented, but sadly people took advantage of him. The story about how he died was heartbreaking. Imagine what he could have accomplished if he lived past the dreaded 27. I could have done without the chapters dealing with the legal issues after his death.
John Gurney
Aug 21, 2013 John Gurney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly readable biography of the greatest rock guitarist, Jimi Hendrix. Written by a journalist who was personal friends with Jimi at the height of his success, this bio covers Hendrix's troubled childhood, brief career as an Army paratrooper, his foray into music, incredible success, and stunning death at age twenty-seven. Fairly few pages are devoted to musical details. The last third of the book covers the aftermath of Jimi's untimely death; forty years later his estate continued to be fought ...more
Dave Schwensen
Jul 15, 2013 Dave Schwensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book ranges from really good (first half) to being dragged down into a story of greed and courtroom drama (second half). It’s made clear the author’s relationship to Hendrix is as a needed friend. She pops in and out of his short life as someone he could talk with as his world exploded in fame, excess, and dealing with everyone and anyone who wanted a piece of the financial pie.

At times I was reminded of Philip Norman’s book, Shout! The Beatles in Their Generation with conversations written
Kaitlin Descutner
Feb 21, 2016 Kaitlin Descutner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
The only historical background I knew of Jimi Hendrix was through his music, the Woodstock festival and documentaries. I was so happy to stumble upon this book written by a good friend of his, Sharon Lawrence. She shared not only the wonderful and personal moments she had with Jimi during his last 3 years, but the respect that he deserved. He seemed like such a caring and passionate man, that, unfortunately, was crushed by the expectations and stresses of fame.

After Jimi's death, sadly, his ima
Gwen
Oct 20, 2014 Gwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not your run of the mill Hendrix book. There were mentions of many of the happenings I have read in other publications (books, magazines, etc.), however for the most part they were lightly touched on and not made into big productions as I have seen in the past (i.e. opening for the Monkees).

The book was written by someone who knew Jimi personally and it shows. She didn't go into any salacious details or dishonor Jimi's memory in any way. She did offer plenty of tidbits of Jimi's life and
Connie
Jun 01, 2016 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the better Hendrix books.The author became friends with Jimi as he was getting started in his career.It is an intimate story of what he was going through and all the problems as well as his life in general went. I thought this was pretty good, until his death, and I feel she kind of slacked off a little on trying to really get to the matter of his death. Several others who have read this have mentioned this also that she seemed too quick to just take the basic reason for his deat ...more
Michelle Schoenhofen
I really enjoyed reading Sharon Lawrence's biography of Jimi Hendrix. I felt it was a very honest account of not only the life of Jimi Hendrix but also the greedy aftermath of his death.

How very sad that the vultures swooped in and cut out Leon, the brother he loved as well as swindled millions from his Experience band mates, Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding. How some of these people can live with themselves!

Through this book, I got to know the sensitive, shy, kind and intelligent side of Jimi
Josh
The story of love
Is hello and goodbye
Until we meet again
-Johnny Allen(James Marshall) Hendrix

On the one hand, this is easily one of the best books I've ever read that just happens to be about my guitar hero. On the other hand, I wish I had never picked the book up. One of the worst cases of using and abusing such a good-hearted person I've ever read or heard of.

I had a very hard time reading the end of the book where, 35 years after his death, e
Josh
Apr 29, 2015 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a tragic and sad story this was. As a person that grew up loving Jimi for his music, I got to step inside the world of him as person delivered elegantly by Sharon Lawrence. Jimi was a once in a generation talent, that walked this world surrounded by fame and people but still walked this world alone. The music industry has always been brutal place, but for Jimi. I don't think it could have been worse. This is the best and only book I would go too, Sharon speaks the real story and the real tr ...more
Mike Calabrese
Oct 23, 2016 Mike Calabrese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He made great music but had a tough life

I was 15 and in the 9th grade when I bought my 1st Hendrix album in 1969. One of the best albums I ever owned. His music was different, cool and Very different. After being without Hendrix music for the past 47 years I recently downloaded Digital Electric Maryland. Wow. So when I saw this book available I downloaded it and enjoyed it very much. He left the world some great music. And this book aptly describes his rough life. It was a good read.
Hanna
Dec 15, 2014 Hanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a huge fan of Jimi Hendrix but I do know that he has a talent beyond imagination. Reading about his life before, while and after he was recognised opens my eyes. It really upsets me how some people treated Jimi, like he was merely an object to be handled and parade around with. I'm disgusted at how greedy people can get when it comes to money. This book is a great read for both fans and genuinely curious people.
Bruce Kirby
Nov 06, 2016 Bruce Kirby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since the book was written by a professional reporter who was friends with Hendrix, it's more detailed and more thoroughly researched than other rock biographies. The author writes from her personal experiences with a rock legend's and his very troubled life. . The book shows how he changed rock and how he still influences it today. When I think of all of the creative geniuses who died young it makes you wonder what could have been
Gabi
Sep 24, 2016 Gabi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I knew it wasn't going to be a story with a happy ending, but I didn't expect it to be so terribly sad.
The part with the lawsuits and courtroom drama about the legacy, although it was interesting in a way, couldn't hold my attention as much as the actual biography, but overall it was a compelling book, very insightful.
Paul Griggs
Mar 22, 2012 Paul Griggs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never knew much about the man, even less about the shocking way his legacy was treated. Written by someone who at least knew him well enough in his heyday it's a poignant portrait of a music genius who went from rags, but regrettably chose to check out before he really got to the riches...
Patrick
Nov 26, 2011 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book overall. The author seems very truthful and knowledgeable about everything Jimi. The first half is about his rise, fame, and death. All very interesting. Later the story moves to his legacy and various lawsuits over his estate and rights. This part got a bit boring.
Evan
Nov 15, 2011 Evan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author was close to Hendrix and provides some insight into his life that I definitely didn't know about outside of his music. Pretty sad and ugly commentary on the legal issues that continue to this day.
David Foreman
This is an interesting book if you are a Hendrix fan. I cannot imagine getting through it if you were not. Too bad it was written by someone around Jimi. Of course he never got around to telling the story from his own point of view.
Kat Hellchester
Ugh, this took me a long time to read. It is written beautifuly, you can really see Jimi through Lawrence's eyes. But after a while it gets a bit boring, and especially the second part of the book, which is all about his legacy and all those lawsuits, is very tiring.
David
Sep 13, 2016 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sad Tragic Story

Lawerence does an amazing tribute to the most talented rock guitarist to date. She speaks from her first hand experience with Hendrix and his family. I appreciate her passion to tell the truth about the left handed guitarist who changed the face of rock music!
Agustin
this tought me what struggles come to become a musician and the things he passed in his life and the way he took those situations
Jonathan Grant
Was interesting and sad. Want to read Room Full of Mirrors now.
Dylan Spencer
Dec 08, 2011 Dylan Spencer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i think this book has a lot of drugs and partying in it but i like the book a lot jimi wasnt so rich then he got richer as he got more famous
Matti Kari
Jul 30, 2013 Matti Kari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
suom. Jimi Hendrix - mies, musiikki ja totuus

Paikoin raskas, paljon nimiä mutta kiinnostava ja dramaattinen.
  • Jimi Hendrix: A Brother's Story