Start by marking “Jimi Hendrix: The Man, the Magic, the Truth” as Want to Read:
Jimi Hendrix: The Man, the Magic, the Truth

Jimi Hendrix: The Man, the Magic, the Truth

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  334 ratings  ·  33 reviews
The genius we never understood. . . . The man we never knew. . . . The truth we never heard. . . . The music we never forgot. . . . A revealing portrait of a legend by a close and trusted friend.
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Jimi Hendrix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jimi Hendrix

I'm amazed by how close to his life I actually got through Sharon. I actually appreciate him more than I did before because of how hard he worked and because of all his sorrow during his childhood. The only part that I wanted to skip but I read anyways was the one with his estate which I'm not interested in.
And if you ask me, yes, I got teary-eyed when I just read that he died.

"A transcendental artist because he seemed to create light on the stage with the music." - Pete Townshend of The Who.
Morgan (Turbo)
I love this book. We get to see an inside look into his life from one of his reporter friends in LA. He talks about how he writes songs, using tones and colors rather than themes. It's amazing.

I decided only to read Part 1 and 2. The last part of the book is all about what happened with his estate--something I'm not at all interested. It's amazing to me that he died at the same age I'm at now, and to think of how much he accomplished. I hope to one day master the guitar as well as he did (but sa
This is not your run of the mill Hendrix book. There were mentions of many of the happenings I have read in other publications (books, magazines, etc.), however for the most part they were lightly touched on and not made into big productions as I have seen in the past (i.e. opening for the Monkees).

The book was written by someone who knew Jimi personally and it shows. She didn't go into any salacious details or dishonor Jimi's memory in any way. She did offer plenty of tidbits of Jimi's life and
Jenna Baldwin
I did enjoy this book, I loved how it was written by a close friend of jimi's she was able to give us such great insight to the talented kind and beautiful person he really was , I learnt a lot of things about him I had no idea of , very well written , I wasn't keen on the chapters regarding the estate and his family fighting over his money that was quite sad and I don't think necessary but other than that I loved it
Carlos Hugo Winckler Godinho
Têm umas cem páginas de brigas por direitos autorais que só servem como documento para consulta. Para quem quiser ler, e não se encher da leitura, recomendo que pule do capítulo onde ela descobre que ele morre para o capítulo final.
This and Kathy Etchingham's book "Through Gypsy Eyes," are the best Hendrix biographies because they were both written by people who really knew Hendrix as personal friends. Also, more detailed information about Jimi's death can be found in Eric Burdon's autobiography, "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood."
Michelle Schoenhofen
I really enjoyed reading Sharon Lawrence's biography of Jimi Hendrix. I felt it was a very honest account of not only the life of Jimi Hendrix but also the greedy aftermath of his death.

How very sad that the vultures swooped in and cut out Leon, the brother he loved as well as swindled millions from his Experience band mates, Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding. How some of these people can live with themselves!

Through this book, I got to know the sensitive, shy, kind and intelligent side of Jimi
Dave Schwensen
This book ranges from really good (first half) to being dragged down into a story of greed and courtroom drama (second half). It’s made clear the author’s relationship to Hendrix is as a needed friend. She pops in and out of his short life as someone he could talk with as his world exploded in fame, excess, and dealing with everyone and anyone who wanted a piece of the financial pie.

At times I was reminded of Philip Norman’s book, Shout! The Beatles in Their Generation with conversations written
John Gurney
Highly readable biography of the greatest rock guitarist, Jimi Hendrix. Written by a journalist who was personal friends with Jimi at the height of his success, this bio covers Hendrix's troubled childhood, brief career as an Army paratrooper, his foray into music, incredible success, and stunning death at age twenty-seven. Fairly few pages are devoted to musical details. The last third of the book covers the aftermath of Jimi's untimely death; forty years later his estate continued to be fought ...more
What a tragic and sad story this was. As a person that grew up loving Jimi for his music, I got to step inside the world of him as person delivered elegantly by Sharon Lawrence. Jimi was a once in a generation talent, that walked this world surrounded by fame and people but still walked this world alone. The music industry has always been brutal place, but for Jimi. I don't think it could have been worse. This is the best and only book I would go too, Sharon speaks the real story and the real tr ...more
The story
Of life is quicker
Than the wink of an eye
The story of love
Is hello and goodbye
Until we meet again
-Johnny Allen(James Marshall) Hendrix

On the one hand, this is easily one of the best books I've ever read that just happens to be about my guitar hero. On the other hand, I wish I had never picked the book up. One of the worst cases of using and abusing such a good-hearted person I've ever read or heard of.

I had a very hard time reading the end of the book where, 35 years after his death, e
I'm not a huge fan of Jimi Hendrix but I do know that he has a talent beyond imagination. Reading about his life before, while and after he was recognised opens my eyes. It really upsets me how some people treated Jimi, like he was merely an object to be handled and parade around with. I'm disgusted at how greedy people can get when it comes to money. This book is a great read for both fans and genuinely curious people.
Kat Hellchester
Ugh, this took me a long time to read. It is written beautifuly, you can really see Jimi through Lawrence's eyes. But after a while it gets a bit boring, and especially the second part of the book, which is all about his legacy and all those lawsuits, is very tiring.
Jonathan Grant
Was interesting and sad. Want to read Room Full of Mirrors now.
Paul Griggs
Never knew much about the man, even less about the shocking way his legacy was treated. Written by someone who at least knew him well enough in his heyday it's a poignant portrait of a music genius who went from rags, but regrettably chose to check out before he really got to the riches...
This is a great book overall. The author seems very truthful and knowledgeable about everything Jimi. The first half is about his rise, fame, and death. All very interesting. Later the story moves to his legacy and various lawsuits over his estate and rights. This part got a bit boring.
David Foreman
This is an interesting book if you are a Hendrix fan. I cannot imagine getting through it if you were not. Too bad it was written by someone around Jimi. Of course he never got around to telling the story from his own point of view.
The author was close to Hendrix and provides some insight into his life that I definitely didn't know about outside of his music. Pretty sad and ugly commentary on the legal issues that continue to this day.
Rushay Booysen
Great read i enjoyed it.It was heartbreaking to read about his struggles before and even after fame.Let the legend live on.A close account courtesy of Sharon Lawrence who sounded very sincere.
Great bio, was expecting it to be this good. Easy to follow and written to engage the reader. Doesn't drag like some bios can. I read it like a novel, I couldn't wait to continue reading
This is my favourite book, I've read it many times since it's release. It seems an honest depiction of Jimi Hendrix compared to other books I've read. I highly recommend it.
best book i ve read on the man who changed the way guitar was played. Who is till date an Idol to a lot of them. This book shows his otherside- A spectacular human being
Paul David Krishnan
Absolutely tragic. Possibly the greatest musician who ever lived. Its heartbreaking of what happened to him during and worse of all, after his life.
Dylan Spencer
i think this book has a lot of drugs and partying in it but i like the book a lot jimi wasnt so rich then he got richer as he got more famous
this tought me what struggles come to become a musician and the things he passed in his life and the way he took those situations
Matti Kari
suom. Jimi Hendrix - mies, musiikki ja totuus

Paikoin raskas, paljon nimiä mutta kiinnostava ja dramaattinen.
An intimate look at the legend. A must read for any fan or music lover.
Oct 28, 2007 Amoreena rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Jimi
Another sad end to a short but remarkable life in the music industry
Overall this is a interesting book. I enjoyed it greatly.
elizabeth martinez-morton
Very honestly written, a bitterweet story
  • Jimi Hendrix: A Brother's Story