Start by marking “The Food of Spain” as Want to Read:
The Food of Spain

The Food of Spain

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  15 reviews
In The Food of Spain, Claudia Roden, the James Beard award-winning author of the classics A Book of Middle Eastern Food and The Book of Jewish Food, and one of our foremost authorities on Mediterranean, North African, and Italian cooking, brings her incomparable authenticity, vision, and immense knowledge to bear in this cookbook on the cuisines of Spain.

New York Times bes
Published June 7th 2011 by Ecco (first published June 1st 2011)

Bill Tucker
Tried this last weekend (though not for Thanksgiving meal):

cream of asparagus soup (190)
mushrooms with garlic (269)
pork loin cooked in milk and caramel (410)

They were all fantastic!
Marg

A few months ago I reviewed a cookbook by Spanish Australian author Frank Camorra. In the comments to that post, Fay from Read, Ramble mentioned that a Spanish cookbook had just won the International Association of Culinary Professionals award in the International category. A quick check of the library catalogue and it was mine. Well....not mine mine, but temporarily mine! It should give you a good indication of how much I liked this book when I tell you that this book is actually on it's way to
Jacki
Delving into each region's culinary styles and preferred ingredients, Claudia Roden serves up a delightful cornucopia of Spanish history, culture and delicious food in this plump, gorgeously illustrated collection. Pepa's Fish Soup, the chosen test recipe, brings seafood and comfort food together in one pot. While the stew is perfumed with delicate saffron, potatoes and firm whitefish give the concoction enough substance to hit the spot on a chilly evening. A Catalan picada, a paste of almonds g ...more
Alexander Fontana
Good chunk of history at the forefront of this book on Spain and its regions. Essential ingredients for most recipes: waxy potatoes, beef tomatoes, leeks, pimenton dulce, jomon serrano or prosciutto, lentils, chickpeas, onion, olive oil, Manchego cheese, currants, artichokes, eggplant, fava peas, peas.

Recipes I selected were toward unique vegetarian or dishes that could be converted to vegetarian:

Pg. 185 Lentil soup. Used 3 oz of black olives in place of Prosciutto. Added a diced up Jalapeno (se
Ariadna73
07-15-2011: I liked so many recipes; that I copied all of them. I am trying to experiment with different ingredients; but in general; they are really easy. I will keep this book on my coffee table for many many years. It is just beautiful.

07-02-2011: Very complete; very thick. The paper is high-quality and the photographs are outstanding. I love the fact that I have eaten more than 75% of the things I see in it. I love this book. I will keep it on my living room table as a decorative item.
Liam89
It may seem slightly eccentric to post a review of a cook book, but this is so much more than a cook book. That is because Claudia Roden is so much more than just a cook. She is an anthropologist, an author, an historian, and a world-class chef. She writes like a literary genius, and not just about food, but about Spanish history, language, and the remarkable synthesis that took place there over the centuries between Christian, Muslim and Jewish culture and the wonderful food that resulted from ...more
Kevin Tole
Good recipes; interesting fill in; bit of a cooks bible; could have done with some captions to the whereabouts of most of the photographs of places in Spain - ecellent photographs by the way. Was expecting more on acorn fed porkers and the distinctive taste but at least it gives a prominence to pulses and beans which are rarely covered by the 'new tapas' types who seem to miss how important these are in Spanish cooking - Oh and a REAL paella recipe plus the best clam soup I've ever made.
Wendy Armstrong
Beautifully presented with good photos and inspiring recipes that I have wanted to try. Perhaps too much history and regional info at the front for my liking and could have done without the whole-page profiles of random Spanish cooks: I won't be reading those twice.
GORGEOUS. Huge and heavy and full of pictures and history and cultural background-- I didn't get to cook anything from it before having to return it to the library, but it's the kind of book you would love to have in your cookbook library.
Jean
A lot of good simple recipes. Very practical but not mouthwatering. I admit I'm not a fan of Spanish food - I'm not an unfan just that it's not a cuisine that I'm particularly into making at home. This book did not make me change my mind.
Kate Rakena
Another great book from Claudia Roden. Really love the depth of detail she goes to to explore the region who's food she is sharing with the reader. It will be added to the list of books to own one day...
Corrina
love, love, love this book!!
Wonderful stories and history about the food and the regions.
Susan
A great insight into the history of Spanish food with some fabulous recipes.
Salvatore
Fantastic recipes, stunning photography. Already I keep coming back to it.
Mary
gorgeous photography and authentic recipes (I assume)
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Katie Cordingley
Katie Cordingley marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
K.
K. marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Jason Valletta
Jason Valletta marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Ana Maria Feito
Ana Maria Feito is currently reading it
Nov 09, 2014
Pinky
Pinky marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
qtasha
qtasha marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Laura added it
Oct 26, 2014
  • The Food of Morocco
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • Vegetables: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking with More than 300 Recipes
  • Jamie Does...
  • Spain...A Culinary Road Trip
  • Heart of the Artichoke: and Other Kitchen Journeys
  • Cook This Now: 120 Easy and Delectable Dishes You Can't Wait to Make
  • Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The Lost Art of Creating Delicious Home Produce, with Over 600 Recipes
  • My New Orleans: The Cookbook
  • French Provincial Cooking
  • Everyday Food: Light: The Quickest and Easiest Recipes, All Under 500 Calories
  • Gran Cocina Latina: The Food of Latin America
  • Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China
  • All About Roasting: A New Approach to a Classic Art
  • Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
  • 660 Curries
  • Basic Judaism
  • The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
Claudia Roden was brought up in Cairo. She finished her education in Paris and later studied art in London. Starting as a painter she was drawn to the subject of food partly through a desire to evoke a lost heritage - one of the pleasures of a happy life in Egypt.
With her bestselling classic, A Book of Middle Eastern Food, first published in 1968, Roden revolutionized Western attitudes to the cuis
More about Claudia Roden...
The New Book of Middle Eastern Food Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey, and Lebanon The Book of Jewish Food: An Odyssey from Samarkand to New York Claudia Roden's the Food of Italy: Region by Region Tamarind & Saffron: Favourite Recipes from the Middle East