Start by marking “The Food of Spain” as Want to Read:
The Food of Spain

The Food of Spain

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  176 ratings  ·  17 reviews
In The Food of Spain, Claudia Roden, the James Beard award-winning author of the classics A Book of Middle Eastern Food and The Book of Jewish Food, and one of our foremost authorities on Mediterranean, North African, and Italian cooking, brings her incomparable authenticity, vision, and immense knowledge to bear in this cookbook on the cuisines of Spain.

New York Times bes
Published June 7th 2011 by Ecco (first published June 1st 2011)

Bill Tucker
Tried this last weekend (though not for Thanksgiving meal):

cream of asparagus soup (190)
mushrooms with garlic (269)
pork loin cooked in milk and caramel (410)

They were all fantastic!
Marg

A few months ago I reviewed a cookbook by Spanish Australian author Frank Camorra. In the comments to that post, Fay from Read, Ramble mentioned that a Spanish cookbook had just won the International Association of Culinary Professionals award in the International category. A quick check of the library catalogue and it was mine. Well....not mine mine, but temporarily mine! It should give you a good indication of how much I liked this book when I tell you that this book is actually on it's way to
Jacki
Delving into each region's culinary styles and preferred ingredients, Claudia Roden serves up a delightful cornucopia of Spanish history, culture and delicious food in this plump, gorgeously illustrated collection. Pepa's Fish Soup, the chosen test recipe, brings seafood and comfort food together in one pot. While the stew is perfumed with delicate saffron, potatoes and firm whitefish give the concoction enough substance to hit the spot on a chilly evening. A Catalan picada, a paste of almonds g ...more
Alexander Fontana
Good chunk of history at the forefront of this book on Spain and its regions. Essential ingredients for most recipes: waxy potatoes, beef tomatoes, leeks, pimenton dulce, jomon serrano or prosciutto, lentils, chickpeas, onion, olive oil, Manchego cheese, currants, artichokes, eggplant, fava peas, peas.

Recipes I selected were toward unique vegetarian or dishes that could be converted to vegetarian:

Pg. 185 Lentil soup. Used 3 oz of black olives in place of Prosciutto. Added a diced up Jalapeno (se
Barbara
Lots of good cultural info but not that easy to use. Partially due to how the book was graphically designed. Some recipes were very good but others were so-so.
Lennie
Beautiful cookbook! I loved reading the history in the front!
Ariadna73
07-15-2011: I liked so many recipes; that I copied all of them. I am trying to experiment with different ingredients; but in general; they are really easy. I will keep this book on my coffee table for many many years. It is just beautiful.

07-02-2011: Very complete; very thick. The paper is high-quality and the photographs are outstanding. I love the fact that I have eaten more than 75% of the things I see in it. I love this book. I will keep it on my living room table as a decorative item.
Liam89
It may seem slightly eccentric to post a review of a cook book, but this is so much more than a cook book. That is because Claudia Roden is so much more than just a cook. She is an anthropologist, an author, an historian, and a world-class chef. She writes like a literary genius, and not just about food, but about Spanish history, language, and the remarkable synthesis that took place there over the centuries between Christian, Muslim and Jewish culture and the wonderful food that resulted from ...more
Kevin Tole
Good recipes; interesting fill in; bit of a cooks bible; could have done with some captions to the whereabouts of most of the photographs of places in Spain - ecellent photographs by the way. Was expecting more on acorn fed porkers and the distinctive taste but at least it gives a prominence to pulses and beans which are rarely covered by the 'new tapas' types who seem to miss how important these are in Spanish cooking - Oh and a REAL paella recipe plus the best clam soup I've ever made.
Wendy Armstrong
Beautifully presented with good photos and inspiring recipes that I have wanted to try. Perhaps too much history and regional info at the front for my liking and could have done without the whole-page profiles of random Spanish cooks: I won't be reading those twice.
GORGEOUS. Huge and heavy and full of pictures and history and cultural background-- I didn't get to cook anything from it before having to return it to the library, but it's the kind of book you would love to have in your cookbook library.
Jean
A lot of good simple recipes. Very practical but not mouthwatering. I admit I'm not a fan of Spanish food - I'm not an unfan just that it's not a cuisine that I'm particularly into making at home. This book did not make me change my mind.
Prestoni
Another great book from Claudia Roden. Really love the depth of detail she goes to to explore the region who's food she is sharing with the reader. It will be added to the list of books to own one day...
Corrina
love, love, love this book!!
Wonderful stories and history about the food and the regions.
Susan
A great insight into the history of Spanish food with some fabulous recipes.
Salvatore
Fantastic recipes, stunning photography. Already I keep coming back to it.
Mary
gorgeous photography and authentic recipes (I assume)
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
clismo
clismo added it
Apr 18, 2015
Kme_17
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Kathyg
Kathyg marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Antony Richards
Antony Richards marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Rutger-Jan
Rutger-Jan is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2015
Nickyf
Nickyf marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
  • The Food of Morocco
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • Vegetables: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking with More than 300 Recipes
  • Jamie Does...
  • Spain...A Culinary Road Trip
  • The Country Cooking of France
  • Cook This Now: 120 Easy and Delectable Dishes You Can't Wait to Make
  • Heart of the Artichoke: and Other Kitchen Journeys
  • My New Orleans: The Cookbook
  • Gran Cocina Latina: The Food of Latin America
  • Radically Simple: Brilliant Flavors with Breathtaking Ease: 325 Inspiring Recipes from Award-Winning Chef Rozanne Gold
  • Mangoes & Curry Leaves: Culinary Travels Through the Great Subcontinent
  • Polpo: A Venetian Cookbook (Of Sorts)
  • The Soul of a New Cuisine: A Discovery of the Foods and Flavors of Africa
  • Italian Food
  • Ottolenghi: The Cookbook
  • India: The Cookbook
  • 660 Curries
Claudia Roden was brought up in Cairo. She finished her education in Paris and later studied art in London. Starting as a painter she was drawn to the subject of food partly through a desire to evoke a lost heritage - one of the pleasures of a happy life in Egypt.
With her bestselling classic, A Book of Middle Eastern Food, first published in 1968, Roden revolutionized Western attitudes to the cuis
More about Claudia Roden...
The New Book of Middle Eastern Food Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey, and Lebanon The Book of Jewish Food: An Odyssey from Samarkand to New York Claudia Roden's the Food of Italy: Region by Region Tamarind and Saffron: Favourite Recipes From The Middle East