Start by marking “Peppi Pitkätossu Etelämerellä” as Want to Read:
Peppi Pitkätossu Etelämerellä

Peppi Pitkätossu Etelämerellä (Pippi Långstrump #3)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  13,183 Ratings  ·  182 Reviews
Tunnetko Peppi Pitkätossun? Hän on maailman vahvin, kiltein, hauskin ja rikkain tyttö. Peppi saa kokea monia jännittäviä seikkailuja yhdessä ystäviensä Tommin ja Annikan sekä Etelämeren Kurrekurredutsaaren lasten kanssa. Hait ja helmivorot joutuvat aikamoiseen pyöritykseen...
Published 1991 by WSOY (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Peppi Pitkätossu Etelämerellä, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peppi Pitkätossu Etelämerellä

Manny
My favourite bit is the song "Sjörövar-Fabbe" - though, as Gulla points out below, this isn't actually in the book, only the movie. It's about Pippi's great-grandfather, Fabbe, who despite being a fearsome pirate has a tendency to become seasick any time the waves get a little rough. Most Swedish three year olds can sing the refreshingly simple chorus: "Oj, oj-oj-oj, oj-oj-oj!" If you're curious, you can hear Drängarna singing it on Youtube.

I wondered how difficult it would be to convey to non-S
James
Jun 09, 2010 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading Pippi is like reading Plato, but better because Socrates didn't have a monkey named Mr. Nilsson. The faux simpleton toys with the stiffs before devastating them with some Five-Point-Palm-Exploding-Heart Technique of logic.

"Now then," she said finally, "will you tell me how you spell 'seasick'?"
"I'll be glad to," said Pippi, "S-e-e-s-i-c-k."
Miss Rosenblom smiled - a sour smile. "Is that so?" she said. "The dictionary spells it differently."
"Then it was very lucky that you wanted to know h
Seale Ballenger
Aug 01, 2012 Seale Ballenger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was seven years old on my first visit to New York and FAO Schwartz, my parents told me that i could pick out one of whatever I wanted. I got this. BOOK NERD!
Maggie
I wish I had gone with Pippi to the South Seas. It must have been really fun! I was Pippi for Halloween and I think that's what made me want to finish the series. I had already read book 1 and I kept putting off reading the rest. But being Pippi for Halloween inspired me to read the other 2 books. And I'm really glad I did because they're both funny. My favorite part was how Pippi always got away from the bad guys, sometimes by lying and sometimes by telling the truth. This made them confused ab ...more
Tamara
Jul 24, 2014 Tamara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this aloud to my daughter, after reading the other two Pippi books. She hangs on every word and when one chapter ends, nearly salivates for the next. Each chapter is a nearly self-contained episode, and works quite well for bedtime stories. Inspired by her heroine, she's tried to sleep "upside down" with her feet on the pillow. Amusingly, my son (a bit older) pretends not to care, but hangs just around the corner whenever one of the books opens, clearly listening to all Pippi's adventures ...more
Ciara
Mar 05, 2015 Ciara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: redheaded children, grown women who still wear patched frocks, little girls, feminists
i re-read all the pippi books every year, usually in the spring. just to keep in touch with my inner child, you know. this is the last of the original pippi books, in which pippi, tommy, & annika board captain longstocking's ship, the hoptoad, & set sail for the south seas cannibal island where he is king. hijinks ensue, such as pippi telling off a shark, protecting the island's pearls from robbers, & promising with tommy & annika to never grow up. i like this book, although i am ...more
Cherie In the Dooryard
My kids love Pippi. They love how she does all the things they aren't supposed to do, she's a kind of transgressive fantasy. But she does it all with such a good heart; this little smart-alack is motivated by love, confidence, and a tremendous sense of humor. If you are looking for A++ girl role models that are still funny and fun to read, Pippi is the way to go.
Alexis
Dec 20, 2014 Alexis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Too good. Re-read from my childhood years.
Alberto
Sounds like a right good time. My parents wanted me to take a holiday on a ship for a few years away from them as well, but we were too poor for them to really let me. Tommy and Annika are lucky they got to come.
Monique
Apr 23, 2015 Monique rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This story didn't add much to the world or character of Pippi Longstocking.(view spoiler)

Although it was an enjoyable read hearing how Pippi tackles each situation and how
GlobeRunner
Mar 22, 2012 GlobeRunner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about the adventures of Pippi and her friends on a tropical island. It's the first Pippi book I've read as an adult. Now I understand why some adults read children's literature as a mood enhancer! I was laughing before I had even finished the first paragraph. Translators must find that part quite challenging and I doubt they can give it justice in any other language (apart from Norwegian), but that's more of a loss to the adult reader than to the target audience. Great book - I woul ...more
Michelle
I remember loving Pippi as a kid, but rereading the stories now with my 7 year old, I'm not nearly as enamoured with her. My daughter LOVES this book, though. She laughed out loud while reading it, which is very rare for her to do. I think she would give this book at least 4 stars, maybe 5. Maybe sometimes an adult perspective isn't the best one :).
Mladen Trpčevski
Apr 23, 2015 Mladen Trpčevski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Through reading this book, one can understand just how wonderful a person Astrid Lindgren was. I feel so sorry for not having read it with passion and understanding when I was a child, but I am sure my children won't miss that.

What I like most about this work is that it offers children from non-Scandinavian countries a view of a world without war, where children's perspective wins the battle against violent adults. It would have been a great alternative read to my generation in Serbia, since we
Imas
Apr 19, 2011 Imas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Lucuuu...menghibur, cocok kalo lagi suntuk..dan memang itu tujuan aku baca buku ini. Hanya saja, masih ada sisi kelabu dalam cerita Pippi ini, Pippi yang lucu, bengal,nakal dan selalu gembira hanya hidup sendiri di Pondok Serbaneka, kontras dengan segala kegembiraan yang selalu dibawanya.
Selah
May 08, 2015 Selah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final Pippi book isn't quite as charming as the first 2, but fun nonetheless.
Ana
Oct 17, 2014 Ana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazing
Fui totalmente surpreendida por este livrinho maravilhoso, que se revelou uma autêntica delícia de leitura. Não poucas vezes me provocou sorrisos e algumas gargalhadas, chegando também a comover-me.

Após a leitura desta magnífica obra de literatura infantil, fiquei sem dúvida uma admiradora desta autora que antes desconhecia. Que grande imaginação, criatividade e originalidade, na criação desta história brilhante e genial, e dos seus personagens. Se fiquei admiradora da autora, o mesmo se passou
Irene
Oct 06, 2013 Irene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary school aged kids
Shelves: children
In this installment, Pippi, Tommy, and Annika visit Pippi's father on Kurrekurredutt Island in the South Seas. Even though the location has changed, most of the chapters had a bit of that "more of the same" feel.

Pippi is as adventurous, optimistic, brave, selfless, and loyal as always. While on the island, Pippi faces down two sea-faring bandits who were up to no good, similar to the way in which she handled two would-be burglars in the first book.

One chapter that stands out to me takes place
Gale
"Irrepressible Nordic Pixie Takes Charge!"

This red-headed little rascal has charmed young readers all over the world with her high-spirited antics. Pippi Longstocking—only child of Capitan Longstocking—is a freckle-faced youngster whose flaming braids tick out from her head as if starched! This personable pixie heroine considers herself nearly perfect, as do most of the children she encounters.

Self-sufficient, undaunted and unflappable, Pippi amazes all comers with Her outlandish skills: the
Julian Meynell
This is my second Pippi book. The Pippi books are delightful charming bits of nonsense. They are almost like novel versions of the Cat in the Hat. Pippi runs around doing extraordinary things with the same care free and absurdist chatter as the Cat in the Hat. They are quite charming and a little bit subversive. This one seems to me better than the original novel, but while good they don't really operate at multiple levels the way the greatest children's literature does.
Gretchen
Aug 07, 2014 Gretchen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Pippi doesn't grow up, as much as she grows more generous and insightful into her acts of kindness. Her mischief becomes more and more benevolent, less and less naughty.

In this installment, Pippi visits the island where her father is king. She takes Tommy and Annika so that they can recover from an illness. While they are there, she protects the native children from robbers, reigns in humility, and otherwise enjoys life in the South Seas. She tells Tommy and Annika that she may never return to V
Gláucia Renata
Acho um crime comparar Píppi com Emília. A boneca de pano é espevitada mas tem alto senso crítico, enquanto Píppi é totalmente alienada e amalucada. Uma é espertíssima e sabe tirar proveito de tudo, embora seja muito egoísta e às vezes até um pouco perversa. E vive antenada em tudo que acontece ao seu redor. Píppi é boba, parece viver em outro mundo, ignorando o que e passa em torno si.
C Wharton
Feb 09, 2015 C Wharton is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to C by: Liz the Librarian (Hawarden Library)
It was so funny I spat my hot chocolate out when I was reading It.
I love Pippi, Mr Nelson and her horse.
And on the back of the book it says...
"Have you ever given a shark a good telling-off? Pippi has!"
"Do you know what a squeazle is? Pippi has!"
"Can you carry your dad on your shoulders? Pippi can!"
Pippi can do anything!

Joy
Sep 29, 2015 Joy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm still loving the children's books I'm reading and passing along to my granddaughter. This was my least favorite of the Pippi books because I prefer her in her old house with the horse on the porch in a familiar setting. I don't think her reference to the natives on the island would be politically correct, which was refreshing to me.
Varsha Seshan
May 17, 2015 Varsha Seshan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
During the very first chapter of Pippi in the South Seas, I was chuckling aloud.
The story is so charming, and Pippi makes for such a vivacious protagonist, that all in all, I'm ready for more stories featuring Pippi Longstocking!
Gouri Bhatnagar
Jun 05, 2015 Gouri Bhatnagar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pippi is character which children love to read her unimaginable strength and adventure she does. she tells lie sometimes and tells the facts to escape kids from awful situtaion. Her trip to canny canny island gives the feel to kids the part of the trip.we loved reading pippi lonstocking
Berslon Pank
Feb 15, 2015 Berslon Pank rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pippi just gets on my nerves. Most of her lies aren't even fun lies. She'll throw in an occasional fun little line of lies, but most of her lying is just stating the opposite of what everyone else perceives which is just the least fun and most infuriating type of lying around.
Jocelyn
Mar 16, 2015 Jocelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pippi Longstocking is a little girl who lives by herself in her house, Villa Villekulla. When her father sends a message for Pippi to come join him on his island, her and her friends, Tommy and Annika board the boat and join Pippi's father in the south seas. There, Pippi wrestles with sharks, Catches robbers, and play marbles with pearls. But Tommy and Annika want to be home for Christmas. Will they get back in time?

I picked up this book because I read the first two Pippi Longstocking books, and
Ann Moody
Aug 18, 2015 Ann Moody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We read a "non-cannibal" translation by Gerry Bothmer. Another reviewer noted some potentially offensive language in a different translation. When we read the prior books in the series, I was not crazy about Pippi's dad being referred to as a "cannibal king" either. This version used either the terms "South Sea Islanders" or "Kurrekurredutts" to refer to the inhabitants of the island of the same name. Likewise, the native children she befriends were portrayed in a respectful manner, speaking in ...more
Maria Longley
Hurrah for Pippi, she is the best. And now she saves young school goers from pink underwear and takes Tommy and Annika off to recuperate in the sun of the southern seas where her father is King
Yasmin
Jul 15, 2014 Yasmin added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Yasmin by: Y'all's Feud Made Me Want To Read It
Does it even count as read if I could only handle seventeen pages? (15 from the beginning, and then two of the last chapter--then I realized that I don't care how it ends.
The Prose = Awful
Pippi = ANNOYING
Pippi's Friends = It seems as if this is how readers are supposed to insert themselves into the story, because Annika and Tommy are so freaking bland that I had to look their names up again a minute after reading a portion of the book--it's like Bella Swan for kiddies. Except instead of "all gir
  • Findus and the Fox
  • Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #4)
  • When the Robbers Came to Cardamom Town
  • Moominsummer Madness (The Moomins, #5)
  • The Borrowers Afloat (The Borrowers #3)
  • Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona, #5)
  • Mary Poppins Opens the Door (Mary Poppins, #3)
  • Pünktchen und Anton
  • All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown (All-of-a-Kind Family, #3)
  • Centerburg Tales: More Adventures of Homer Price
  • The Mountain of Adventure (Adventure, #5)
Astrid Anna Emilia Lindgren, née Ericsson, was a Swedish children's book author and screenwriter, whose many titles were translated into 85 languages and published in more than 100 countries. She has sold roughly 145 million copies worldwide. Today, she is most remembered for writing the Pippi Longstocking books, as well as the Karlsson-on-the-Roof book series.
More about Astrid Lindgren...

Pippi Långstrump (6 books)
  • Pippi Longstocking