Start by marking “Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)” as Want to Read:
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  186,914 ratings  ·  14,618 reviews
Mindy Kaling has lived many lives: the obedient child of immigrant professionals, a timid chubster afraid of her own bike, a Ben Affleck–impersonating Off-Broadway performer and playwright, and, finally, a comedy writer and actress prone to starting fights with her friends and coworkers with the sentence “Can I just say one last thing about this, and then I swear I’ll shut ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Crown Archetype (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?, please sign up.

Ariana The thing I liked about this book was that it wasn't laden with swearing and sex, like I feel most of these types of books are. There were a couple…moreThe thing I liked about this book was that it wasn't laden with swearing and sex, like I feel most of these types of books are. There were a couple references to sex: for a chapter she talks about one-night-stands, but she talks about how they're not for her and that the sexiest thing to her is feeling wanted by another person and that she doesn't think that's something that could be achieved after a few drinks. She also talks about her confusion over the word "hook-ups" and is confused about what that means and how its different for each person. I don't think there was a single swear word in the book which I was really happy about. I feel that a lot of comedians rely on using the f-word as often as they can in their writing and it just feels like a lame cop-out to me.
If you're interested in screening the passages about sex I was referring to, in the hard cover version it spans from pages 153-162. (less)
Autumn Brown i would say okay for an older teen, perhaps over the age of 14.
Bossypants by Tina FeyIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingLet's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny  LawsonAre You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea HandlerMy Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler
Funny Women Memoirs
2nd out of 205 books — 882 voters
Bossypants by Tina FeyIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy KalingTo Live and Drink in L.A. by Ben PellerWe Got Zombies On The Lawn Again, Ma by Donnie  SmithAre You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler
Tree's Funny Reads
2nd out of 49 books — 137 voters

More lists with this book...

Catie
Dec 04, 2013 Catie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Catie by: Maggie
There’s a passage in this book in which Mindy Kaling laments that she will never be the kind of comedian who can get away with really raunchy humor or jokes about race. (She cites Sarah Silverman and Dave Chappelle as examples.) But, here is what she can get away with: writing a book chock-full of lists and stories all about how she’s basically (in her words) a “vain flake” and still coming across as a kind, intelligent woman and an excellent best friend.

I kind of wish that Mindy Kaling were my
Jessi
 photo mindy3_zps495753ab.gif

I APPLAUD it and Endorse it!

I LOVED this book, Mindy is just a funny gal who is pretty in check with reality. I have trouble writing a review for a book I love. I feel I just wont do it justice. Mindy makes hilarious observations in numerous essays that fill this joy of a book. Instead of trying to articulate what this is and what I find funny I thought I would grab some random quotes as a recommendation.

QUOTES
“I’m the kind of person who would rather get my hopes up really high and watch them
Ariel
This was exactly what it wanted to be. It felt like sitting in an LA coffee shop and chatting with Mindy for a few hours, hearing a bunch of funny anecdotes, and getting to know her a little better.

What did I like? I liked the conversational tone, the funny stories, the pictures, learning about her climb to becoming a comedy writer, some insightful moments, the emphasis on family, her love of comedy and creation, and her all round positive and "be a good person" attitude.

What didn't I like? The
Shannon Lee
Audiobooks can be dangerous. During a recent road trip in which I listened to this audiobook, I had plenty of time to consider the pros and cons of vehicular suicide. Pro: I would be relieved of Mindy Kaling's screechy voice and vacuous musings forever. Con: I would never again be able to eat cheese. My instinct for survival prevailed. Barely. I suffered through this book in its entirety, so that I would be able to write a justifiably flaming review.

Ms. Kaling's book follows a painfully predicta
traci
mindy kaling - writer, star of the office - suffers from never having cancer or living in iran for any part of her life. which simply means this: it's hard to write a memoir that lasts more than 70 pages. so they call it a book of essays, which is fine, and she does a good job with most of them. but then she's only up to 150 pages and she's fucked. so she goes to her phone and flips through her photos and thinks, hey, i could just write about these, and other bullshit like it, to satisfy a respe ...more
V. Briceland
A quick warning about an otherwise good book: the last third of The Office writer Kaling's memoir is a scattershot, hit-or-miss affair. With short essays like "Why Do Men Put on Their Shoes So Slowly?" and "In Defense of Chest Hair", which graze their topics no more deeply than the titles suggest, Kaling almost sounds like she's half-heartedly trying out for the late and perpetually cranky Andy Rooney's vacated gig on 60 Minutes.

It's a shame, because the first two-thirds of Kaling's effort is an
Nicole
Jan 14, 2012 Nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Ok, I officially have a girl crush on Mindy Kaling. She is just so cool. I love the fact that she is completely honest about all her failings and even embraces them. This would definitely be the type of person I would want to be friends with. This book was extremely funny and a light, easy read. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a good laugh. I especially loved her list for alternate titles to the book (The Girl with No Tattoo, Harry Potter Secret Book #8... hilarious).

By far m
Shayantani Das
[image error]

AND ITS NOT MINDY KALING’S FAULT! OR AT LEAST NOT TOTALLY HER FAULT.

TV and I are not best friends. Sure, I own a TV, but it’s more like a piece of furniture in my living rooms. Hindi sitcoms are royally crappy and wildly unrealistic, news channels seem mostly concerned with celebrity gossip, even channels like Discovery and National Geography have been commercialized.

So basically, I and TV have had minimal interaction in the past years.

Anyway! Point is, as a result of the aforeme
Margot
I'm not usually one to read celebrity biographies and/or memoirs, but come on—this is Mindy's book we're talking about here. OF COURSE I was going to read it.

I love how she goes from hilarious to serious and back to hilarious in a very smooth manner. She shamelessly shares her BlackBerry pics with us, tells us about her life before and during The Office (is Rainn Wilson really her frenemy?), and a lot more. Like my friend Meli said, this book was all over the place, which I absolutely think sep
Melki
So, she was born the same month and year I graduated from high school, which technically makes her young enough to be my daughter...I STILL want to be Mindy's best pal!

I haven't a clue why I decided to read this book. Kaling's character on The Office drove me nuts, and though I enjoyed the few episodes of The Mindy Project that I saw, I am in no way a regular viewer. Probably the fact that I found it at the Goodwill Store for a buck had something to do with it.

But then again...

There's a little p
j
Dec 28, 2012 j rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012, autobio, nbc
This book is best read on a day when you need some light, distracting entertainment, say like when you were up half the night because your infant daughter has a chest cold and then you were rushing around the house trying to find your keys because you were late for your appointment at the mechanic and then you realized they were actually locked inside the garage, which you can only open with that one key that is now inside the green car, which was a stupid place to leave it.

It can be read in abo
Lisa
Of all the books I've read in the past few months, this is the book that has me wondering several things. A) How did it get so much pre- and post-release publicity and b) why do so many people like it? No offense, but this book can't hold a candle to 'Bossypants'by Tina Fey, or 'Are You There Vodka, It's Me Chelsea'By Ms. Handler or 'I know You Are, But What Am I' by Samantha Bee. Or any number of funny-memoir type books I've read. Which is weird, because I usually finish a book like this no mat ...more
Lucy
To quote the author: “This book will take you two days to read. Did you even see the cover? It’s mostly pink. If you’re reading this book every night for months, something is not right.”

Except it took about two and a half hours tops. It's a cute book and I recommend it to anyone whose pushing through to a book goal count for the year. It's not really a biography -- just little snapshots of an interesting life and the fortunate chances she's been given. Kaling is proud of all the work she put int
Rachel
I laughed out loud so many times!

As a person who has seen every episode of the office more than once (okay, fine, more than 5 times) I already think Mindy Kaling, writer and actor who plays character Kelly Kapoor, is really funny.

(I want to throw out a WARNING about this book, similar to what I did when I read and reviewed Tina Fey's Bossypants - If you already don't like Mindy Kaling, if you already don't like The Office, if you already hate female comedians, etc, you probably won't like this
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Quick confessional: 1. I am unequivocally in love with David Brent, therefore I have never cheated on him and watched even one episode of the American version of The Office. 2. The only thing I had ever seen Mindy Kaling in was that Ashton Kutcher/Natalie Portman movie that I can’t even remember the name of, but that I know I liked better when Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis were the stars.

That being said, I wanted to read a funny comedian book and have already been through Tina Fey, Kathy Gri
Liza
The moment I finish my literature review I am going to the bookstore to purchase this, because I need to read something that makes me laugh more than articles about amytrophic lateral sclerosis.

And no, I did not laugh while reading/writing about ALS. I'm not the worst person in the world.
ayrdaomei
I picked up this audiobook, along with a couple others, to keep me company on a recent drive from Baltimore to Pittsburgh and back (4 hours each way). I am ashamed to admit I let early lukewarm critical reviews keep me from picking up a hard copy of Mindy's book, even though a few people I know had read it and enjoyed it. But, bygones! I don't know if I would have liked the book as much if I'd read it traditionally, but it was an excellent choice for a solo drive through Western Maryland and the ...more
Eric Lin
Susie
I love these kinds of books. They feel like these wonderfully long rambling conversations with a long lost friend, especially since I went back and forth between the ebook and the audio book, read by Mindy Kaling herself. I don't ever expect some amazing literary masterpiece with these comedic celebrity memoirs, but they are just a joy to experience.
Amanda
I really loved this book, but I do think it's important to remember two things before you begin reading it: 1) This is not an autobiography or some sort of commentary on the world/women/ television and 2) Mindy Kaling is NOT Tina Fey. Therefore, this book is NOT like Tina Fey's book. And vice versa. Their personalities are very different (because they're not the same person! shocking, right?), their shows are completely different. One cannot be the measure of the other. To do so is cruel and int ...more
Patrick Brown
Nov 03, 2011 Patrick Brown rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of the Office, people who love good comic writing
Shelves: best-of-2011
I really enjoyed this book. Perhaps that's because I wear straight-leg dark wash jeans and use Bumble and Bumble hair product (both endorsed by Mindy Kaling). Or perhaps it's because it's a smart book of comic essays. Probably a little of both.

My favorite essay, I think, is the titular essay, about her high school posse of friends and the moment she knew she was drifting away from them. If you can't relate to that essay, I suspect you went to one of those boarding schools in Switzerland. with t
Giselle at Book Nerd Canada
Had the book and the audiobook..I just love Mindy.. Knowing a bit more about her just makes me happy. Highly recommended for anyone who loves comedy. Enjoyable and adorable, Mindy is just so likable.
Keertana
I'm sure everyone who has read this book has said it, but it's worth repeating: I wish Mindy Kaling was my best friend.

Carol.
Mar 10, 2014 Carol. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of humorous autobiography
A book that delivers exactly on its premise, nothing more, nothing less. I honestly hadn’t known who Kaling was before picking this up at a friend’s house (being an indifferent watcher of television) but I enjoyed her writing. As a rough autobiography, it’s filled with short vignettes from the timeline of her life interspersed with lists relating to her life at that moment. A section on high school and discovering a distant friend was a mutual comedy fan led to a chapter on best moments in comed ...more
Dylan Williams
Mindy Kaling is hilarious, and this was really fun!
Erica
Mindy Kaling.
Prior to listening to her book, I knew who she was but hadn't seen her work. I only made it three episodes in to "The Office" (American edition) because it wasn't really much like "The Office" (Original edition) which I had liked so very well.
What I'm saying is that I didn't have expectations because I don't know this person, I only knew that this is a memoir-ish book by a comedian and I like memoir-ish books by funny people.

And for the first CD, I liked this book, too. I was all,
Jenny
This is like rating two seperate books. The first part of this book focuses on Mindy's childhood, college, early career in New York and move to Hollywood - it's hilarious and honest and worthy of 5 stars. I constantly made people listen to me read sections from it and I couldn't wait to recommend it to everyone I knew.

Then the second half of the book happened. This is two stars. Just short weird rambling chapters that read like blog entries. Mindy suddenly seems less likeable and more like a spo
Regan
Nov 16, 2014 Regan added it
Shelves: books-owned-read
I love Mindy, wish I got the audio book! Still super funny though
Lena
This is comedy? Someone actually finds this book and Mindy Kaling FUNNY?

At first, I thought it was her squeaky voice combined with annoying characters she played. Then I figured, I'm gonna watch some interviews, Jimmy Kimmel or Late-night show, people love her, there must be a reason. And there she was... that same girl I was watching in The Office (or any other TV project she's done, for that matter), shallow, self-centered and pushing-my-finger-through-my-eye-into-my-brain-and-swirling-around
Kate
Dec 06, 2011 Kate rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of The Office
Shelves: memoir, nonfiction
Oh Mindy, Mindy, Mindy...you started out so good with this one and then half way through you just kind of fell apart girl. Is it that you're still too closely tied to these memories to be objective about them yet?

I really would like to know because for the first half of the book I was hanging on her every word, found her absolutely adorable and hysterically funny like when she talks about fad diets and says "It's only a matter of time before the Jane Austin Diet comes out, and I'm really lookin
  • I Know I Am, But What Are You?
  • Pawnee: The Greatest Town in America
  • Girl Walks into a Bar . . .: Comedy Calamities, Dating Disasters, and a Midlife Miracle
  • Self-Inflicted Wounds: Heartwarming Tales of Epic Humiliation
  • Sleepwalk With Me and Other Painfully True Stories
  • God, If You're Not Up There, I'm Fucked
  • A Little Bit Wicked: Life, Love, and Faith in Stages
  • Guts: The Endless Follies and Tiny Triumphs of a Giant Disaster
  • Bossypants
  • The Idiot Girl and the Flaming Tantrum of Death: Reflections on Revenge, Germophobia, and Laser Hair Removal
  • You're Not Doing It Right: Tales of Marriage, Sex, Death, and Other Humiliations
  • I Was Told There'd Be Cake
  • The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee
  • Happy Accidents
  • My Fair Lazy: One Reality Television Addict's Attempt to Discover If Not Being A Dumb Ass Is the New Black, or, a Culture-Up Manifesto
  • Mother. Wife. Sister. Human. Warrior. Falcon. Yardstick. Turban. Cabbage.
  • Lies That Chelsea Handler Told Me
  • Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin
194416
Mindy Kaling lives in rural New Hampshire and does not own a TV.
More about Mindy Kaling...
Matt & Ben Why Not Me? Questions I Ask When I Want to Talk About Myself

“There is no sunrise so beautiful that it is worth waking me up to see it.” 578 likes
“One friend with whom you have a lot in common is better than three with whom you struggle to find things to talk about.” 442 likes