Free Baseball

Free Baseball

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  231 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Felix knows his dad was a famous baseball player in Cuba—and that his father risked everything to send Felix to America. But his mom won’t reveal anything else. When a team with Cuban players comes into town, Felix wonders if they knew his dad, and sneaks into their locker room to ask. That’s when the players mistake him for their new batboy.

To uncover his father’s story,...more
Published February 2nd 2006 by Dutton Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Free Baseball, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Free Baseball

Derek Duerheimer
I thought it was amazinggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg...more
Amanda Howell
Dec 05, 2013 Amanda Howell added it
Shelves: libs-642
Junior Book Log: Fiction - Realistic - Sports
Recommending Source: textbook pg. 171

Everyone wants to know who their biological parents are and that is no different the main character, Felix, in this story. Felix only knows a couple things about his father: that he was a Cuban baseball player, and that he gave everything he had so that Felix could come and live in America. But that is not enough for him. He wants to know his dad, he wants to learn all about him and his mother is not giving him the...more
Gina Saenz
Nov 17, 2013 Gina Saenz added it
Shelves: libs-642
Free Baseball by Sue Corbett
Realistic Fiction
This book is about an eleven year old who misses his dad, but feels a very strong connection to him through baseball. Felix and his mother left Cuba when Felix was very young. Felix is hungry to find out information about his father. Is he still alive? Does he still play ball? His mother does not have the time to help him with his search and isn’t really ready for the challenge, so Felix takes matters into his own hands. His father sent him and his mo...more
Megan
Apr 25, 2009 Megan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 4th-7th grade boys, sports fans, bilingual students
Free Baseball reads like a Hallmark or ABC Family movie. A tween boy is mistaken for the batboy of a minor league team. Because Felix is searching for information on his long-lost father (a ball player from Cuba), he never tells the players or the manager that he is just a kid trying to get away from his babysitter for a while. He soon finds himself doing laundry and running errands for the team, all the while trying to find his answers.

This is probably a dream come true for boys who love baseb...more
Autumn
Very fun, positive story about Felix, and 11-year old Cuban boy who lives in Florida with his mother, and how his love of baseball affects both their lives—in good ways. And I LOVE Homer, the dog, and the friendships and inspiration Felix gets from the ball players while being their bat boy. The Cuban government plays a role in this book, though in a way that fits perfectly with the story without being over bearing. Good story.
Debbie
Mar 26, 2008 Debbie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: baseball fans
Felix Piloto dreams of playing baseball like his father, a famous Cuban player who he has never met. Felix's mother works long hours to try to make a better life for Felix, but he feels neglected and misunderstood.

While attending a local game with his dreaded babysitter, Felix makes a decision that just might change his life forever. When he slips away from the babysitter and is mistaken for the visiting team's new batboy, he feels like he is part of the team. His mother won't miss him , right?...more
Jo Sorrell
The main character is Felix in story Free Baseball, by Sue Corbett. This adventure is about a boy and his love for the game of baseball. Felix is a Cuban boy who crossed borders by boat with his mother at the age of 3. When Felix enters a radio contest and wins two tickets to a local minor league baseball game his journey begins . Felix gets supposedly separated from his babysitter who took him to the game and decides to stowaway on the opposing team bus. He did this because the miracle, the opp...more
Rounding up from the 3.5 stars I'd give it if Goodreads allowed... This was an enjoyable, well written story about Felix, a Cuban-born boy with a passion for baseball. He dreams that his father, a star player for the Cuban National team, will defect and play for the Major Leagues in the U.S., and that Felix himself will become a great player. He resents his mother for discouraging those hopes as well as for the long hours she works to support them. Among the sports-themed fiction for this grade...more
Fluxbrarian
Jun 30, 2008 Fluxbrarian rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: boys, baseball fans
Felix is the son of a famous baseball player in Cuba, and he knows that his father risked everything to send him and his mother to America. But he doesn't know when his father will be able to join them in Florida, and his mother won’t tell him anything. When a minor-league team with Cuban players comes to town, Felix sneaks into the locker room to ask about his father. The team mistakes him for the new batboy, and when he stows away on their bus, he finds himself miles away from home. Felix, a h...more
Kate Hastings
Feb 16, 2014 Kate Hastings rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grades 4-6, baseball, Cuban-Americans
RL 800. Felix loves everything about baseball and can't understand why his mother HATES it, even though his father is a famous baseball player. Felix and his mother have lived in the US since Feliz was a baby-- he and his mother escaped from Cuba on a small boat. Now older, Felix is determined to find out more about his father and why he never made it to America.

The writing style is simple, with Spanish words peppered in to add to the authenticity. The ending is a bit predicable--but also what I...more
Adi
It is pretty intersting cause you have a little weird feeling why felix is running away from his mother and his baby sitter. I feel kind'a bad for his mom because she might think he is really safe but he is really not. And really weird because she didn't ask to talk to his friends mom which is what would i do.
But so far i am lovin it hope you read it because super good.i finished the book his mom got a job as the miracles genaral manager then they got vics house and now they are living a happy l...more
Sharon
This book should be on a summer reading list for kids because it will appeal to both boys and girls. The main character Felix is missing the father he never knew, who is a famous baseball player from Cuba. Felix lives and breathes baseball and wants to be a part of the game at any cost. When he wins tickets for a minor league game, his entire world changes. This is a sports story with an interesting plot and has characters that are well developed.
I was pleasantly surprised by this book, as I often am by sports stories. It's about the son of a Cuban baseball player who rafted over to Florida with his mother as a baby. He still hopes his father will join them someday. There's a bit of Spanish in it, but you can tell what is being said by the context, and there is a glossary of both Spanish and baseball terms in the back, for those who don't speak either language.
Maggie V
Felix is obsessed with baseball and learning about his father. It was a simple story of Felix's journey to accept where he is in life and learning that he has a good life.

While the ending was a bit too neatly tied, I was glad that it was happy and Felix was able to grow and change.

I would recommend this to sports fans, boys, and an occasional single-parent child.
Allison
Good for a lower-middle end 5th grade group. There's lots of Spanish in the dialogue which can make it difficult for readers who have no Spanish background. The story itself is about Cuban immigration to the States, which can be a bit hard for some fifth graders to really grasp, but they get the baseball parts of the book
Tess
My mom got me this from her middle school library book fair. It's the cutest. Highly recommended for any youngster, but especially one who's into sports. I like that the author works in themes of family hardships and immigration as well; topics that young adults would do well to approach with empathy.
Catherine
This actually would be 2 1/2 stars if goodreads offered it. Formulaic, but I can usually live with schlocky sports-story tropes. What really put me off was the dog. Even I was rolling my eyes, and I'll forgive almost anything having to do with dog characters.
Duncan
Free Baseball is an amazing book. It is touching, suspenseful, and dramatic. When I first read it years ago, it became one of my all-time favorite books. For people who like to read and are looking for a good book, I highly recommend Free Baseball.
Eniliram
I think is really cool because is about base ball and because its about about a boy that want to play base ball but his mom doesn't trust him but when his mom sees him play base ball thats when his mom knows that hi can play base ball.
Pat
A great tale of self-discovery and independence, set to a background of baseball. Recommended for middle school. Baseball fans will like this book, but since it doesn't contain a lot of baseball jargon, casual fans will like it, too.
B
A young Cuban American boy sneaks into a Florida locker room of baseball players, some Cuban also, looking for information about his father who he believes is a famous Cuban player. Very touching, great for a baseball lover.
Marcia
Jul 06, 2008 Marcia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: baseball fans, grades 4+
Recommended to Marcia by: MCBA
This was a nice read on a hot summer day. Baseball, a little education on Balseros and Cuba, a likeable main character and a terrific cast of minor league ball players. The ending was so unplausible, but I loved it!
Kris
Recommended for gr. 5-9. I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would. Some of the situations were a bit unbelieveable, and the ending was a rather predictable, but it still kept me reading!
Hanna
May 01, 2009 Hanna rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: awful
This book is ok. In the end, everything ends up too perfectly. Everyone got what they wanted. Uh hello, that isnt real life. Don't read it unless you have to. That's the only reason I read it.
chris
I liked the book free basball for all the suspicion. It also had alot of intresting seens and had a really good plot. Overall it was a really interesting book for any basball lover.
Scott Johnson
Free baseball was a really good book beacause it was baseball and I love baseball. Felix a kid who is in fith grade who loves baseball and he goes to a game and ends up
Sally
I picked this one up because I liked her book 'Last Newspaper Boy' so much. This one was okay, but not as witty as the other book. Would be great for a boy that loved baseball.
Jonathan Nonnemacher
While the premise is a bit forced, there is a satisfying message in this book. I enjoyed the emotional depth of the characters as well, which is rare in a sports book.
Kate Carper
My classmates are reading this book I have been lisening to there conforsations! I think it has had some good results I am about to read it!
  • Satch & Me (A Baseball Card Adventure #7)
  • The Aurora County All-Stars
  • Thin Wood Walls
  • Born to Fly
  • The Final Four
  • Drita, My Homegirl
  • The Gawgon and the Boy
  • Oggie Cooder
  • Archer's Quest
  • Adaline Falling Star (Scholastic Signature)
  • Blue
  • All of the Above
  • A Strong Right Arm: The Story of Mamie "Peanut" Johnson (Carter G Woodson Honor Book (Awards))
  • Lost in the Labyrinth
  • Pop
  • Kickoff!
  • Children of the Great Depression
  • Melonhead
Sue Corbett is the author of 12 Again, Winner of the California Young Reader Medal, and Free Baseball, a finalist for 10 state readers' choice awards. Her latest novel is The Last Newspaper Boy in America and her first picture book, The 12 Days of Christmas in Virginia, have just been released this fall. "
More about Sue Corbett...
12 Again The Last Newspaper Boy in America Jeff Kinney The Twelve Days of Christmas in Virginia Rick Riordan