Start by marking “Song of Myself” as Want to Read:
Song of Myself

Song of Myself (Folhas de Relva #2)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  9,457 Ratings  ·  254 Reviews

It was with this first version of "Song of Myself," from the 1855 edition of Leaves of Grass, that Whitman first made himself known to the world. Readers familiar with the later, revised editions will find this first version new, surprising, and often superior to the revisions, and exhilarating in the freshness of its vision.

Nook, 0 pages
Published by Neeland Media (first published 1856)

To ask other readers questions about Song of Myself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song of Myself

Bookdragon Sean
Well, one thing I gathered from this poem is that Walt Whitman loves himself, and he loves America. To his mind, America is everything; it is freedom; it is democracy; it is happiness, and, again, according to him, it is the most poetic place on Earth. Through this he is trying to establish a unified America, and a mind-set that is distinctively American. After the civil war he wanted the nation to identify themselves with these ideals and to break from the past, as seen by his personal breaking ...more
Beth
Jul 23, 2008 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone on and off the planet
So, sometimes when I've had a bad day I read random passages aloud to myself in the bath.
Bettie☯
Apr 26, 2016 Bettie☯ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: BBC Radio Listeners
Recommended to Bettie☯ by: Laura

Description: Orson Welles read Whitman's trailblazing poem for the BBC Third Programme in 1953. In a new landmark reading of the poem, Welles' voice is interwoven with readings from a small cast of acclaimed actors - Michael Sheen, Clarke Peters, Julianna Jennings, Kyle Soller and Eleanor Bron. With an introduction from poet, Mark Doty.

Reader Orson Welles
Reader Clarke Peters
R
Adeline
Mar 02, 2009 Adeline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first six sections of Walt Whitman's Song of Myself present a myriad of issues both in subject matter and style. Reading these sections is a very different experience from reading a sonnet or even blank verse. Whitman's form was revolutionary when it arrived on the literary scene, and it continues to be distinctive. To some, Whitman's form is the essence of his art, and part of what makes Song of Myself so accessible and so entrancing. But to others it seems mere sloppiness – Whitman's line ...more
Florencia
Feb 09, 2014 Florencia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Okay. This is a good start. I don't know if I'll ever read Leaves of Grass. I wish to, but something tells me I won't be doing that any time soon. However, I liked this poem. There's so much optimism in here that I thought I could never relate to it. And I was right... Still, I enjoyed reading this. I mean, he lost me during some verses, but after a couple of seconds and a sip of coffee, I was ready to keep going; there are a lot of beautiful lines waiting to be appreciated.
I think I could turn
Carmo
Apr 23, 2015 Carmo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E o mundo à nossa volta fez-se poesia e música. Pelas mãos encantadas de Walt Whitman.

"Já disse que a alma não é mais do que o corpo,
E disse que o corpo não é mais do que a alma,
E nada, nem Deus, é maior para uma pessoa que ela própria,
E quem caminha duzentos metros sem amar caminha amortalhado para o seu próprio funeral,
E eu ou tu que não possuímos um centavo podemos comprar o melhor que a Terra contém,
E olhar com um só olho ou mostrar um feijão na sua vagem desconcerta
a aprendizagem de todos o
Apr 26, 2016 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bettie, Wanda
From BBC Radio 3 - Drama on 3:

Produced by Emma Harding.

Marjorie
Apr 26, 2012 Marjorie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this a few months ago, but I just wanted to add this to comment on Goodreads's lack of poetry section. I know that poetry has to be published in a specific volume, but most people read poetry selectively, not in its entirety (This poem took me two days to read. God knows how long Leaves of Grass would have taken). And reviewing an entire volume of poetry seems absurd when there is so much substance in just one poem. Basically, I would just like to talk about one poem instead of an entire ...more
João Carlos
Apr 29, 2013 João Carlos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, poesia

Walt Whitman (1819 - 1892)

“Canto de Mim Mesmo”, no original "Song of Myself" (1856) de Walt Whitman (1819 - 1892) é um dos livros que tenho relido com alguma regularidade.
Poesia sobre homens e mulheres de todas as profissões ou credos, da luz e das sombras, de paisagens imensas, do corpo e da alma, dos prazeres sensuais, do amor, do sexo e da luxúria…

“Este canto de mim mesmo não se faz com palavras rotineiras,
Interroga abruptamente, para mais longe trazer para perto”
(43)

Um livro de palavras qu
Miguel
Aug 14, 2015 Miguel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
«Whitman, o único que abriu caminho. Whitman, o único pioneiro. E somente Whitman.»

D. H. Lawrence

O sujeito poético de O Canto de Mim Mesmo litografa todos os mártires e redentores que passaram pela Terra, exaltando a permeabilidade do ser humano face aos reveses e contentamentos que experimenta aquando da sua travessia neste planeta, como se de um ensaio fatídico se tratasse.

«E quanto a ti, Vida, reconheço que és o resíduo de muitas mortes (...)»

Esta poesia, escorreita como água
Luís C.
You have found a thousand acres are too many? You have found the great land too?
Wrought so much to learn to read?
Felt proud to see fit the meaning of poems?

It is this day and night with me and you will possess the origin of all poems,

Dispossess the good of the earth and the sun, (there are millions of suns to find,)

No longer possess it anything from second or third hand, nor will look through the eyes of the dead, or be fed thee Ghosts that is in the books,
Nor will look through my eyes, neither
Yasmine Alfouzan

What I love about poetry is that there is a lot of room for interpretation. And in those beautiful 80 pages, Whitman did deliver what he promised before getting into the poem:
"You shall not look through my eyes either, nor take things from me,
You shall listen to all sides and filter them from your self."

A must-read for anyone who likes to analyze things. It made me want to be in a book club just to discuss it. I think if I loved poetry a bit more, I might have appreciated it immensely.

A few bi
Ana Lúcia
Jul 09, 2014 Ana Lúcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“(…) Se me queres ter de novo, procura-me debaixo da sola das tuas botas.
Dificilmente saberás quem sou ou o que significo,
Todavia dar-te-ei saúde,
E filtrando o teu sangue dar-te-ei vigor,

Se à primeira não me encontrares, não desanimes,
Se não estiver num lugar, procura-me noutro,
Algures estarei à tua espera”. (Walt Whitman – Canto de mim mesmo)
Teresa
Dec 07, 2011 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, g-poesia, n-usa, e5
XXIV

"Walt Whitman, um cosmo, o filho de Manhattan,
Turbulento, carnal, sensual, comendo, bebendo e procriando,
Não é um sentimental, não olha de cima os homens e as mulheres nem se afasta deles,
Não é mais modesto que imodesto.

Retirai as fechaduras das portas!
Retirai as próprias portas dos seus umbrais!"
Damian Reyes
Dec 28, 2014 Damian Reyes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"No te desanimes si no me encuentras al primer intento
de no estar junto a ti, mira más lejos,
que yo en alguna parte me detendré a esperarte"

لطيفة
"يا غرور شروق الشمس لا أحتاج دفئك
أنتَ تضيء السطوح وحدها، أما أنـا !
فألجُ السطوح والأعماق معًا".
Lio
Feb 24, 2015 Lio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As Whitman says,
"Have you felt so proud to get at the meaning of poems?

Stop this day and night with me and you shall possess the origin of all poems,
You shall possess the good of the earth and sun, (there are millions of suns left,)
You shall no longer take things at second or third hand, nor look through the eyes of the dead, nor feed on the spectres in books,
You shall not look through my eyes either, nor take things from me,
You shall listen to all sides and filter them from your self."
John Pistelli
Whitman is one of those writers whose merits can get lost in their reputations; you forget how good he is when you're not reading him. His role as the mascot of a kind of kitschy Americana--especially ridiculous in this time of decline and fragmentation--overshadows his saving weirdness, his poetic originality:
Before I was born out of my mother generations guided me,
My embryo has never been torpid . . . . nothing could overlay it;
For it the nebula cohered to an orb . . . . the long slow strata
Nərmin
Sep 11, 2015 Nərmin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
It was good experience for me) Although I have read poems in English before, it was the first time I have read full 80 paged poem) I didn't like all the poem, there were some parts boring, and some parts I just didn't grasp the meaning/ I don't know all the English poetic words so I had difficulty understanding it at times/(( Still Here are some parts I liked a lot:

For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
.................
The smallest sprout shows there is really no death,
And if
Taylor Garton
Oct 06, 2011 Taylor Garton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading Walt Whitman's collection of poems in his book Leaves of Grass but by far my favorite, and the poem i would want to share with the world is Song of Myself. The first time i read through the poem i had a hard time comprehending what or who Whitman was talking about. So i had to read it again, and again and even a 3rd and yes 5th time. The more i read his words the more i became aware of his understanding of himself. Not only in this poem does write scenery but Whitman spends six page ...more
Maggie
Aug 28, 2011 Maggie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two-and-a-half stars would really be more accurate.

My first mistake was trying to read it in bits and snatches when I could, instead of sitting down and drinking it all in at once. Read as a unit, < i>Song of Myself carries a clear, undeniably lovely message. But something about Whitman bothered me, and I don't know if it's him, or my unfortunate general lack of appreciation of poetry.

It seemed to me like I was reading the full roster of his thoughts, with no filter, and no organization.
Marty
Sep 15, 2016 Marty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible read every time it is read

I read Song of Myself a year ago during an an online Modern Poetry class and again the year. There is so much to take from his poetry.

The verbal written visuals of nature, people, the reflections of his world are the successes of his Poetry and so much more.

He is the turning point along with Emily Dickinson as the Birthers of Modern Poetry. This is a great read, time after time, after time.
Tim Minor
Dec 15, 2010 Tim Minor rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This haughty asshole is the reason poets have a bad name. God complex in high doses. If you ever catch yourself saying " I celebrate myself and sing MYSELF, and what I assume YOU shall assume"- punch yourself in the face for thinking your that omnipotent. Whitman was lucky he was writing in a era of women oppression or else Emily D would have sucker punched his arrogance in the balls.
Osric
Jul 25, 2015 Osric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
خیلی زیباس و حس متفاوتی نسبت به سایر هم رده های خودش تو آدم ایجاد می کنه.
یکی از دوستام بهم معرفی کرد، منم به شما توصیه می کنم.
Débora Contente
Dec 30, 2013 Débora Contente rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Débora by: Francisco Néry
II
“Stop this day and night with me and you shall possess the origin of all poems,
You shall possess the good of the earth and sun.... there are millions of suns left,
You shall no longer take things at second or third hand.... nor look through the eyes of the dead.... nor feed on the spectres in books,
You shall not look through my eyes either, nor take things from me,
You shall listen to all sides and filter them from yourself.”

all the XLVI

LI
“The past and the present wilt. I have fill’d them, empti
Elizabeth A
Sep 25, 2014 Elizabeth A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, poetry
I'm not a fan of poetry, and am convinced that I must have had so awful a teacher that I have blocked the entire endeavor from my mind. Though it could just be me. Maybe poems have more meaning as one gets older. Whatever the real reason, I decided to rectify this gap in my education by taking the MODERN & CONTEMPORARY AMERICAN POETRY class offered by Coursera. And I am smitten.

I have read this poem by Whitman in parts and in its entirety several times. I have listened to a wonderful readin
Matt

Expansive, grand, vast, yet unpretentious and intimate.

This is the American mind, I say.

This is the poem of one man's life. Don't just dwell on the hippie bullshit (though it's the greatest hippieness ever hipped!) but there's serious metaphysics and political statements here, too.

Welcoming and vibrant and dusky and sweet. He stops somewhere, waiting for you.

Bloom says that Whitman (at least while tending to the sick and the dead soldiers of the Civil War) is the American Jesus, and I heartily a
Anna
Jan 05, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well that was an experience... Not entirely sure how I feel about this poem. On the one hand some parts confused the heck out of me, so many metaphors that i would comepletly forget what Whitman was talking about. However on the other hand when I did understand I was blown away by the complexity and depth of his story. This poem is about life, people, us. It is confusing and beautiful. It is a celebration of life. I enjoyed reading it, especially the last 25 pages. I will definitely be reading i ...more
Jennifer (aka EM)
May 08, 2011 Jennifer (aka EM) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Does anyone ever "finish" reading a poem? With some - like this one, The Wasteland, maybe Howl - others? - they are like bottomless cups of coffee. Every time you go back to them, take another sip, there's more to taste.

That is all.

(and I'm still taking this as a notch on my book challenge bedpost) ;-)
Rodrigo Ferrao
Oct 26, 2015 Rodrigo Ferrao rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Canto de mim mesmo" parece-me ser uma excelente introdução à obra de Walt Whitman, poeta americano essencial na estante de qualquer leitor.

Importante para conhecer a história dos Estados Unidos, vamos fluindo numa poesia solta e sem regras rígidas na forma. Uma viagem por várias terras e estados do país, numa introspecção profunda nos valores e crenças de Whitman - vamos tomando nota das suas visões da sociedade, da sua relação com o divino e com os homens.

"Olha sempre para longe, não há limit
  • Tulips & Chimneys
  • A Season in Hell & Illuminations
  • The Branch Will Not Break
  • Ode: Intimations Of Immortality From Recollections Of Early Childhood
  • English Romantic Poetry
Walter Whitman was an American poet, essayist, journalist, and humanist. He was a part of the transition between Transcendentalism and realism, incorporating both views in his works. Whitman is among the most influential poets in the American canon, often called the father of free verse.

Born on Long Island, Whitman worked as a journalist, a teacher, a government clerk, and a volunteer nurse during
More about Walt Whitman...

Folhas de Relva (5 books)
  • Inscrições - Partindo de Paumanok
  • Descendentes de Adão - Cálamo
  • Seis poemas
  • Da Canção da Acha-d'Armas a Detrito Marinho

“Failing to fetch me at first, keep encouraged. Missing me one place, search another. I stop somewhere waiting for you.” 720 likes
“I discover myself on the verge of a usual mistake.” 581 likes