Start by marking “Grindin'” as Want to Read:
Grindin'

Grindin'

4.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,103 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Danielle Santiago's Little Ghetto Girl was an Essence magazine #1 bestseller, a compelling portrayal of the challenges young women face in ghettos across America. Now Santiago's putting it down again, better than ever, moving on from the little girl to the grown woman in Grindin', the second in her trilogy of Harlem Stories.
Holding the story down in Grindin' is Kennedy San
Published April 11th 2006 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Grindin', please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grindin'

Kiley Douyon
Feb 11, 2009 Kiley Douyon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hustlerers! lol!! But for people who like the lime light!
Recommended to Kiley Douyon by: My Sisiter
The main character of this book is Kennedy Sanchez. Her and her cousin, Nina, are really close. they are very beautiful girls, but let the street life control them. Nina is involved in a bad relationship and she ends up getting killed. Kennedy goes through many life changes becoming irregularly irregular.

The theme of this book is drugs, manipulation, and money.

Once again I can relate to this book because my life has been influenced by drugs and the people around me. I can also relate with the f
Eva Leger
Aug 30, 2008 Eva Leger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban lit readers
Recommended to Eva by: myself
This pulled me in from page one! I read the back of the book and thought it seemed way too far fetched and wasn't sure if I'd like it or not but I'm so glad I tried it. I'm totally into it and am going to hunt down the others by Danielle Santiago. Definitely recommended and in my opinion she's up there with the best just from reading this one book!
Natalie
Feb 06, 2008 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
really enjoyed this novel and all of its ups and downs. This book made me cry, and I really felt the characters. This is the 2nd novel I read by Danielle Santiago and I love her gutta~ness! She is a great writer and she did not disapoint me AT ALL!
Ericka cannon-mosley
I think it was an awesome follow up to Little Ghetton girl, and I can't wiat until I read Allure of the Game
Lashaun Steele-hinton
Purchased this for $1 at the flea market. First I read by this author, loved this book!
Kitani
May 13, 2015 Kitani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this read from start to finish. Kennedy and her cousin were as thick as thieves until tragedy struck. All I could say was Cream was a sorry excuse for a man and should've owned up to his mistakes and moved on. Kennedy stepped up in a major way when it came to Nina's kids. Chaz was a straight up thorough dude and I thought him and Kennedy deserved each other. It was good that Kennedy was grindin' a legal way considering what she was once involved in. Ria's miserable ass took things too ...more
Tihira
Apr 25, 2008 Tihira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody that has dealt with these type of problems in a relationship
Recommended to Tihira by: no one
The book that I am reading now is called Grindin’. There are many reasons as to why I like the book but I am only going to give you the main reasons.

To begin, I like the book because it tells about the life as two cousins who in the beginning have to struggle to provide for their children so they go around seducing men and then robbing them blind leaving them with nothing. One of the girls has a very abusive boyfriend and is eventually killed by hand after being beaten to death by him because of
Black Carrie
Nov 20, 2015 Black Carrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS WAS BOOK WAS GOOD '&' FAST PACED NEARING THE END IT JUST GOT TOO DAMN DRAMATIC ~~~~!!!!!!!
Matysha
Jan 10, 2016 Matysha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I enjoyed this urban fiction tale
Diana
Sep 24, 2011 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book this morning, it's a quick read but I will say this: Danielle can write. This was such a change from the usual Noire where the ghetto girl has no power and no strength and has to be sexually abused/mutilated/humiliated before she can be empowered. I love Kennedy, she has all the spunk I would imagine a real hood girl should have. I enjoyed reading this, it was fun and it was a little tragic but not overdone. I plan on reading more of her books.
Junisha
This was better than the last book I read. I really like the fact that promises are kept after one moves on. Not everyone will take on the responsibility of raising someone else child. This is a great story line and I think you should read this book if you are a person who does not live with you biological parents and are being taken care of by another family member, family friend, or just people that are generous enough to help you live a life.
Nicole Hunter-salgado
Loved this book. Could not and would not put it down. Had some slower moments but picks up nicely. I have given it to many readers to show them Danielle Santiago's writing stile. I certainly plan to indulge in another of her books.
Keyona
Nov 22, 2008 Keyona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good.I do have some unanswered questions about some things that happened. I'm sensing a Part 2 (I hope) because these main character leaves me wanting to get to know more of her.
Lola
Feb 06, 2013 Lola rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very poorly written. The story has the same edge as most urban tales but still the poor grammar and lack of broad vocabulary makes it hard to enjoy! Wouldn't recommend.
JazzyRacquel
Jul 19, 2011 JazzyRacquel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, wishlist
This Book Was A Definite Page Turner !

Action From Beginning To End !

I Kennedy & Chad !

I Def. Recommend Reading This Book !

Racquel
Jan 24, 2009 Racquel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The only good thing about this book was that it was funny at some parts. But that was it. The writing was terrible. Not much substance.
Alicia Mckenzie
Jun 17, 2012 Alicia Mckenzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you read Little Ghetto Girl you would like Grindin. It is an amazing book... Grindin by Danielle Santiago is a must read book...
Alysia
Nov 27, 2011 Alysia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't the worst book but expected it to be a little better. Many valuable lessons in the book and thats why I rated it a four.
Malayshia
Feb 27, 2011 Malayshia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was the best book i ever read i guess it full of action danger family music and trust this is a must read book :)
Tasi
Oct 27, 2009 Tasi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book! Ive read it like 5 times
Whitney
Jul 28, 2015 Whitney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kennedy was my girl! I love Chaz :).
Keniisha
i love her books she is a great author
R.Marie
Jul 07, 2011 R.Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good book...Kennedy and Chaz....
Ieshia
How do you read the book
Kim
Aug 16, 2012 Kim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't keep my attention.
Annabell
Dec 06, 2013 Annabell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Deff a page turner !!
Jennifer S
Dec 01, 2011 Jennifer S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book...
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Flossie
Flossie rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Mercedez Neal
Mercedez Neal rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
  • Hold U Down
  • Whore
  • Where There's Smoke
  • California Connection
  • Crack Head (Triple Crown Publications Presents)
  • Amongst Thieves
  • Dime Piece
  • Sheisty (Sheisty series, #1)
  • Black & Ugly
  • Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
  • Cartier Cartel
  • The Millionaire Mistress
  • Harlem Girl Lost
  • Desperate Hoodwives
  • Black Widow
  • Stackin' Paper
  • Secret Society (Secret Society, #1)
  • Home Wrecker