Start by marking “Science Fiction: The Best of the Year, 2007 Edition” as Want to Read:
Science Fiction: The Best of the Year, 2007 Edition

Science Fiction: The Best of the Year, 2007 Edition (Science Fiction: The Best of the Year)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  11 reviews
The best stories of the year: here is a collection of the best science fiction prose written in 2006, by some of the genre's greatest authors, and selected by Rich Horton, a contributing reviewer to many of the field's most respected magazines.
Published November 30th 2010 by Wildside Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Science Fiction

Amy
Far and away, the best thing in this is Robert Reed's novella "A Billion Eves," which gets 4 stars. The group as a whole was much weaker.
Rebecca
This collection has a good variety, including some really strong stories. It would have been nice to see more gender parity in the authors.
Illyria
A solid collection of hard SF that delves deeply into questions of existence and divinity. All the stories are strong, generously and rivetingly fleshed out, but I love, especially, Carolyn Ives Gilman "Okanoggan Falls" and Robert Reed's "A Billion Eves".

The typos are a bit annoying and I don't know why the publisher had to list Joe Haldeman and Michael Swanwick on the cover if none of their works are included in the anthology. Other than that, it's a hugely satisfying book.
Matthew
Some brilliant stories in here, but enough bad ones to keep me from getting carried away with the rating. Me-Topia by Adam Roberts had some wonderfully poetic Neanderthals that made the whole story for me. Some of these, I'd read before. Inclination by William Shunn was set in a great universe and told a good tale. Jack Skillingstead impressed me once again with Life on the Preservation. The good stories make the book worth it.
Andrew
I love the short story form. These were not the best short stories I ever read, but some were good. I liked The Cartesian Theater for its Theory of Mind aspects, though I didn't care for what felt like a disappointing resolution to the main action. Incarnation Day was fascinating. On the other hand, Exit Before saving did nothing for me, nor did Inclination. I think I liked A Billion Eves best of the bunch.
Bill
Terrific collection of stories. There were only 2 that felt out of place but the beauty of an anthology is you can skip the parts you don't care for without disrupting any of the rest.
Frank Taranto
A strong anthology with good stories.
Favorites were Okanoggan Falls by Carolyn Ives Gillman, except the ending didn't make any sense to me.
Exit Before Saving by Ruth Nestvoid
Robert
Not impressed. the Walter Jon WIlliams was interesting - and probably best (virtual children who become real at majorit).
Kevin
Kinda what I expected...some stories were too short, some were too long. Some I didn't like, some I loved.
William
An odd and uneven collection of stories.

Incarnation Day by Walter Jon Williams was my favorite story.
Fritz
Another anthology, but the entries are better than the Fantasy anthology entries
Elisa
Elisa added it
Dec 20, 2014
Neilsone
Neilsone is currently reading it
Nov 01, 2014
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Nathaniel
Nathaniel marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Fandury
Fandury marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Rick Ingersoll
Rick Ingersoll marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Arran Meachim
Arran Meachim marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Poeticdemise
Poeticdemise marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Jaq
Jaq marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2012 The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2010 The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2009 Fantasy: The Best of the Year, 2007 Edition Science Fiction: The Best of the Year, 2006 Edition