Blue Exorcist, Vol. 2

Blue Exorcist, Vol. 2 (Blue Exorcist / Ao no Exorcist #2)

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  5,001 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Shocked by the death of his foster father and the revelation that his real father is the demon Lord Satan, Rin Okumura enters the True Cross Academy to learn to be an exorcist. But every great exorcist has to start somewhere, and for the students of the academy the first step is the Exwire examination. To prepare for the exam, the new pages in Yokio's class must undergo in...more
Published June 7th 2011 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 2009)

Cornerofmadness
Rin, the son of Satan, has joined True Cross Academy to study to be an exorcist so he can destroy his father. Unfortunately, he seems to have a bit of a lazy mind, excelling more at the fighting. His twin brother, Yukio, who has none of the satanic aspects, is such a good student he also teaches demon pharmaceuticals to the cram school. He is rather underwhelmed by his twin’s academic abilities. (Rin got 2 right on his exam, ah, he’s one of MY students). Also in the cram school is Shiemi, a youn...more
MissAnnThrope
22 January 2013

Blue Exorcist, Volume 2 is even better than the first volume by stepping up the action and delving more into mysteries and betrayals, making it nearly impossible for you to not get sucked in. The plot gets more complex as a gang of new characters are introduced.

This volume introduces tough, ambitious Ryuji Suguro, who shares the same goal as Rin. His father was a monk (aren't monks supposed to be chaste?) who survived the ill-fated Blue Night. Suguro harbors years of resentment fr...more
Meg Fee
I liked this book, even more than I liked volume 1. In it we learned more about the blue flame, it introduced us to some more classmates in the exorcist class. I hadn't realized the age difference in his class which does confuse me a bit since at least one of them has to be 5-6 years older than him, but had been planning to be an exorcist for awhile. Not sure why this student hadn't enrolled before this point... Also my question from volume 1, why was the Father the only person Satan could posse...more
Deborah Takahashi
Rin and Yukio are fraternal twin brothers with two very different personalities and abilities. For the youngest twin, Yukio, he is very intelligent, likeable, and successful. In fact, Yukio is the youngest exorcist to ever be enrolled at True Cross Academy and Father Fujimoto (his guardian) is very proud of him. For Rin, the eldest twin, he is the opposite of Yukio with a short temper, a tendency to get into fights, and lacks academic discipline. Although Father Fujimoto is more protective of Ri...more
Severine Chat-cal
Rin est rentré à l'Académie de la Croix-Vraie pour suivre une formation d'exorciste pour tuer son père, qui n'est autre que Satan. Pour un jeune homme habitué à traîner et ne rien faire de ses journées, la reprise des cours va être dure...

Notre démon s'endort en cours, ne suit pas, n'apprend rien et provoque ses camarades qui lui rendent bien. Certains ont subi eux aussi le passage de Satan par chez eux et suivent le même objectif que Rin, Rin qui énerve ces mêmes camarades, qui pensent qu'il ne...more
Yaya
I felt that however similar the subject matter is to series that came before, this one acts less predictably. There are no loose ends, every bit of the plot is being put to work. The characters are made to act and react in a way that makes more sense compared to other characters in manga, especially the main character, Rin; he has his cheesy moments, but they're very few, he's actually a breath of fresh air and very likable. Character development would suggest there are many layers to all of the...more
Sarah Maddaford
The first half concentrates on relationships more than exorcists. This is good because the characters need to be introduced before you can really feel for them in later scenes. The fact that Rin has to hide his powers is a bit gimmicky to me, but other than that it was a solid volume.
A little bit more blood in the second half of this one. You also see more of the affect that demons have on people as well as one of the teachers targeting a student. Some parents may take issue with the baths scene...more
Sandy
When I had finally picked up volume 2 of Blue Exorcist by Kazue Kato I had completely forgotten how fun and entertaining volume 1 had been and couldn't believe I had taken so long to continue the series.

At the end of volume 1 Rin, the spawn of Satan (no really Satan is his father), is enrolled in an elite school to train and become an exorcist. The same school his twin brother Yukio attends and also teaches (because Yukio is 100% teenage genius). Unfortunately for Rin, despite his determination...more
Ashley Chen
Short Review: I love how I don't know who are the "good" guys, and who are the "bad" guys. Tons of action and development!

Long Review:
Once again, greattt volume!

In this volume we got to see Rin's classmates and how they were like. We also got to know more about exorcists and the different types. In the beginning, there was friction between some of the students but that helps with the development. We got to see the back stories of some characters. I reallly think that Kato did a greattt job pacin...more
Emy
Rin Okumura is the illegitimate son of Satan, but he and his twin brother, Yukio, have been raised by Father Fujimoto, a famous exorcist. Once he discovers the truth, Rin swears to defeat Satan by entering the famous True Cross Academy and becoming an exorcist himself. The only trouble is, he has to keep his demon heritage a secret or he stands a good chance of being destroyed by the very people he wants to join.

Volume two finds Rin struggling to make friends and to be accepted by his classmates...more
Josu
Me ha gustado muchísimo, pero se me ha hecho muy corto. Espero hacerme pronto con las siguientes entregas porque tanto los personajes como la trama sufren una evolución realmente interesante. La historia se va haciendo profunda y completa, aunque como comento, se me ha hecho corto. Eso quizá le reste puntuación, porque he visto que en este tomo la historia necesitaba un poquito más. Aun y todo, genial.
Chels M.
Jan 29, 2012 Chels M. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody. Go read it, guys!
ESTO. ES. MUY. BUENO.

LEEDLO. YA.

El primer volumen me gustó mucho, dejaba entrever que la continuación iba a ser igual de buena o incluso mejor y así ha sido. Más acción si cabe. Conocemos en profundidad a más personajes y los momentos divertidos siguen estando presentes, dentro de un clima de tensión constante por saber qué pasará con Rin, hijo de Satán y proyecto de exorcista (ahí es nada). Ya tengo una teoría y espero estar equivocada, aunque todo apunte a lo contrario. Ay, señor. Necesito más...more
*Queen Diva*
So far this series is shaping up to be really fun. I like all the characters and their differences and even though they don't get along, they make a great team.

I really adore Rin a lot! He's so fantastic! And of course Yukio too ♥ haha!

Shiemi's demon familiar is so fricken cute!!!!!!!!!!!!

The last note: I really liked how Izumo started out as a b*tch and then she was like "No, I'll try to be nicer" and then she realized that being a b*tch was who she was so she went back to being one XD Gotta a...more
Jocelyne
April 2014: 4.5 Stars (Shown as 4)
I really like the new characters! Just learning more about the world of Blue Exorcist fascinates me, really.
This series is so promising so far!
On to volume 3!
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
While attending the Cross Academy, Rin meets and gets to know some of the other students, one of them not so friendly at first. Another good volume so far in the series.
Chivitouille
Me ha gustado más que el anterior y tengo muchas ganas de continuar con la historia.
Momentos de acción, misterios y partes muy divertidas, definitivamente vale la pena.
Warnie B.
Drat! I think I totally just got addicted to this series. I have a manga problem...

Anyway. This volume focuses on the other kids in Rin's classes at school, and they're an interesting bunch. I like the sort of reluctant friendships that are beginning to form among them, and how they're trying to learn to work together as a team. Meanwhile, Rin's got all sorts of baddies after him; good thing Yuki's around to protect him! I think he'll be okay.

Volume 3! Yay!
Rebecca Ann
Shonen often feels formulaic to me so I never quite enjoy it as much as shojo. Blue exorcist has a nice blend of character and plot, though. If you're a fan of Fairy Tail, Soul Eater, or Bleach you'll likely enjoy this one.
Emmy Lou
Mar 06, 2012 Emmy Lou rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of the anime, and fans of Soul Eater and Fullmetal Alchemist
Ao no Exorcist (Blue Exorcist in English) is shaping up to be my new obsession series. After watch the entire subbed anime, I just HAD to get the manga. Am I ever glad I did! It's just as good as the anime.

In this volume, Bon and Rin bump heads and Shiemi struggles to make a friend and do her best. Then, it's time for a study camp to prepare for the Exwire exam!
Samuel
The second collection of Blue Exorcist was a step in the right direction. The hints towards greater depth and plot twists were developed further in this volume and Rin turned out to be less unlikable than in the previous one. It is an enjoyable read but I'm still somewhat confused about the hype surrounding the series- I'm yet to be blown away by it.
Rosa
This volume of Blue Exorcist focuses on introducing new characters, particularly class mates. You watch first hand as Rin and Shiemi make friends and deal with their first big exam. There is definitely something going on with Mr. Pheles. Love the little comics at the end and the character bios.

Can't wait to read the next one.
Philippe Lhoste
On sent que ce shônen est fait par une femme... Certes, il a tous les ingrédients du genre (initiation / progression du jeune héros, qui se fait des amis après une baston, etc.), mais il y a une certaine sensibilité féminine, peut-être dans les personnages féminins, dans la finesse de l'humour (les apartés), etc.
Très agréable série.
Courtney
More reviews at Rondo of a Possible World: YA Book Reviews

The action in this is wonderful and the thickening plot keeps me wanting more. I definitely recommend this to anyone who wants a demon/exorcist twist to their reading schedule.
Jacob Jones
Whoa! Things seem a lot darker than I expected they'd be. But I love that! It seems that the character are decided more on what they'd like to do with their futures. Kinda like me planning for college... I wish I could be an exorcist knight. Well Volume 3 here I come!
Josh  Schwartz
This book was amazing it shows Rin(main character) still trying to keep his rage and blue flame of satan that runs through his veins because his father is satan the lord of hell. He still remains in the True Blue Cross Academy For Exorcist.
Irene
Dec 12, 2013 Irene rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves good manga/anime!
Shelves: Μanga
Simply awesome! :D I've already watched the anime and I'm in the very pleasant position to say that the anime is exactly like the manga- it's like re-watching that splendid anime...on paper! *otaku excitement*
Enjoy it people!!
Faith Erin
This was actually pretty good! But the question is, will it develop into something genuinely interesting (like Fullmetal Alchemist), or devolve into Shonen cliches? Gotta read more to find out, I guess.
Sara
It's getting better. More enemies are popping up and causing chaos. Shiemi Moriyama is so sweet an caring- I hope something exciting happens with her.
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 06: Delete (D.Gray-man, #6)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 8 (Black Butler, #8)
  • Pandora Hearts, Vol. 04
  • Soul Eater, Vol. 02 (Soul Eater, #2)
  • Bakuman, Volume 2: Chocolate and Akamaru
Blue Exorcist, Vol. 1 Blue Exorcist, Vol. 3 Blue exorcist, Tome 4 Blue exorcist, Tome 5 Blue Exorcist, Vol. 6