Desert Rain

Desert Rain

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  957 ratings  ·  24 reviews
She is a contradiction, one woman with two lives. She is Shannon, one of the world’s great beauties, her face and figure gracing the fashion pages of the world’s most elegant magazines. She is also Holly, a fragile innocent, haunted by painful memories of her past—and by dreams of the man who once shared her secrets. She is assured yet vulnerable, irresistible yet untouche...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published July 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Desert Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Desert Rain

Alexis-Morgan Roark
Sep 29, 2011 Laura rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
This may be the first book I have ever rated 1 star, and I read a lot! Even forgetting the cliches (this is an 80s romance after all) this book was horrid. The "hero" of the novel, Linc, is a completed jerk who crosses the line into psychologically abusive. In my opinion he has no redeeming qualities beyond looking extremely hot and raising horses. Holly puts up with so much crap from him that I felt like shaking her senseless then carting her off to counseling! Bottom line: Not worth reading. I...more
Mary B.
Firstly - I have read several books by Elizabeth Lowell and loved them. But this one was pretty awful. There was absolutely no chemistry between the hero and heroine. They had grown up near each other, and the heroine had apparently had a crush on him since she was a kid and he was a young strapping teen, but beyond that there was no apparent reason why these two should be together - nor did I care if they were together. The hero was a chauvenist jerk, and the heroine was just...wishy-washy. The...more
Sapheron
I could have liked this book... it was beautifully written (sometimes) but honestly, it took me FOREVER to finish, and the hero (Hhm?) was too much of an ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!
LJ
SUMMER THUNDER - Okay
Lowell, Elizabeth - Silhouette Desire #77

Hers was the face that launched a thousand ads. Holly North was known to the world as the sensual and untouchable Shannon--the object of countless men's dreams. But to Lincoln McKenzie, the rancher Holly had always loved, the beauty that had turned her from tomboy into top model was a curse, and he had no intention of letting it bewitch him. Fiercely he fought his desire for her, and when he lost, his passion left her trembling and af...more
Crystal Bennett
I love Elizabeth Lowell's ability to completely transport you to the setting of her story. A delightful read.
Gina
A great book! Even for a straight romance novel, it was a good book. I could feel the static between Holly and Linc. I could also understand their frustrations, their worries, their anger. I could also understand why Holly reinvented herself as Shannon - not so much as a double personality, but something to seperate her personal life with her professional life. It had its own little suspenseful action at the end, just enough to give the book a perfect ending. I had a few chuckles, a few tears, a...more
Ubi
Just remember that I have read this book long ago. There isn't any pleasant feeling left after reading this. This is the first and the last time I would read her book. Not being judgmental but somehow it does. I just don't want to feel that hateful feeling again.

This book doesn't value for money too. Burned!

I don't exactly remember the plot but reading the title and author name is enough to make me reminiscent about it.This is the worst feeling ever.

Totally not recommended. Enuff said
Loudice
After reading Smooth Talking Stranger and It Had to Be You, I felt like I was reading an amateur author! This is not one of Elizabeth Lowell's best novels...and to think that I have a lot of her books in my TBR pile!
C K
This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that. Always in depth characters that anyone can identify with on some level.
Maggie
Good book, the story dragged a bit occasionally and the character Linc was sometimes so overly cruel that I wanted to smack him myself. I think this was my first Elizabeth Lowell, I will look for more of her books in the library.
Dana
Linc and Holly

Not EL's shining moment in literary achievements, that's for sure. Linc is horrible, the only thing he has going for him is his good looks.
Holly has no self-worth, self-esteem or common sense. Eh.
Anita Fleming
Read this book on vacation in Palm Springs, the setting of the book. Hero has a real hangup about beautiful women who model, his bitch of a mother was one. His hangups almost sink the love of his life.
Debi
I didn't now care for this book at all. Not sure if it is just not my cup of tea or if it was just a bad book..LOL!! It took me a couple days to think about it to be fair.
Wardenfangirl
I didn't really feel the depth of the two's relationship, and that man was just so judgmental. Lowell's book, Winter Fire, was a better read.
Josephine
This is a new author to me and was really impressed truly enjoyed reading this book. Would like to know what other books she has??
Perri
Another audio book that kept me in my car!! It was so idealic to realize a girlhood crush could come true then be taken away! Enjoy!

Janet Horton
I enjoy all of Lowell's books. There is adventure, mystery, romance and laughter. What is not to like!
Wendy
This has to be one of the dumbest books I have ever read! There's not much more I can say.
Lynleigh
Simple story, cliche plot, and predictiable ending. Lincoln was a jerk!!!
Stephanie
not sure if it have a movie but if not their should have one
Toni
I do love Elizabeth Lowell.
Melanie♥
Great narrator on this one!
Hazel
Hazel marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Zamambuthu
Zamambuthu marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
  • Beguiled (Clan Mackenzie, #4)
  • The Diamond Tiger
  • Call It Destiny
  • Man From Half Moon Bay
  • Gambler's Woman
  • Betrayed By Love (Ranch Rogues / Western Lovers)
  • Bride of the Mist (Draycott Abbey #3)
  • The Spiral Path
  • False Pretenses
  • Bold Conquest
  • A Vengeful Passion (Harlequin Presents, #1696)
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one non-fiction book. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. The novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery to suspense.

In 1982, Ann began publishing as Elizabeth Lowell. Under that name she has received numerous p...more
More about Elizabeth Lowell...
Untamed (Medieval, #1) Amber Beach (Donovan, #1) Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3) Enchanted (Medieval, #3) Pearl Cove (Donovan, #3)