The House in France: A Memoir

The House in France: A Memoir

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Set in Provence, London, and New York, this is a daughter’s brilliant and witty memoir of her mother and stepfather—Dee Wells, the glamorous and rebellious American journalist, and A. J. Ayer, the celebrated and worldly Oxford philosopher—and the life they lived at the center of absolutely everything.

Gully Wells takes us into the heart of London’s lively, liberated intelle...more
Published June 21st 2011 by Knopf (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The House in France, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House in France

Kelly
my parents fucked a lot of famous people. good for you, gully.
Peter Foges
I absolutely adored this witty, worldly memoir about bad people having a good time in the wacky 1960s. Sex, adultery, illegitimacy, food, wine, celebrity (lots and lots), drugs and just the right dose of the divine South of France in the summer heat. It doesn't depend on knowing who all these comic characters are (or were), since the effect is like that of a brilliantly composed picaresque novel. It even made me laugh out loud (rare I find in books these days, especially memoirs) -- and though t...more
Laurel Kane
May 24, 2011 Laurel Kane marked it as to-read
Recommended to Laurel by: June 2011 Vogue
Shelves: biography-memoir
The excerpt in this month's Vogue is fantastic
Bernie

I wanted to like this book a lot. It's essentially a memoir of Gully Wells, growing up in London, the daughter of Dee Wells, an American writer in the 60's and 70's. Dee Wells was flamboyant, funny, smart and, in the end, kind of mysterious. Gully Wells's stepfather was the philosopher, A.J. Ayer.

The memoir is entirely affectionate. Dee Wells and Ayer had many affairs. Their lives revolved around a glittering set of writers, politicians, academics, etc. .

Why did this book irritate me? Everyone...more
Debra
Mainly a memoir of journalist Gully Wells and her family (and their famous friends) and how a house in Provence wove its way through their lives. A self indulgent life of sexual liaisons, drinking and cigarettes made this seem like a European version of Kenya's Happy Valley colony.

Maybe I would have enjoyed this more had I been familiar with Dee Wells and J.J. Ayer. My ignorance of their fame left me rather floundering in much of the book. Sometimes it seemed like Wells was namedropping her fami...more
Audrey ❦❦❦
This book was a monumental waste of a perfectly good afternoon. Gully Wells is a pretentious, name-dropping quasi-author who would be better off leaving the writing for those who can. The title of the book is very misleading. It is not a book for Francophiles and the house is barely mentioned. It's more about "Look at my fabulously wealthy and hedonistic lifestyle."

A word of advice if you are thinking of reading this: Don't bother.

P.S. A troll by the name of Peter Foges may be commenting shortly...more
Podurham
A friend of mine (a lady of a certain age)recommended this book to me. While I thought it was well written, with sparks of humor and a savoring love of food and frivality, at times it was as though "you had to be there" to really understand the cultural landscape of that time. This isn't another francophile book, but rather a memoir of Gully Wells and her unusual family who lived primarily in England as well as the United States. I give it a lukewarm, at best, thumbs up.
Jrabach
Didn;t enjoy it... read to about page 100. Like reading a long monologue of a boring family member going on and on and on about other family, dinner parties, etc.
Alarie
This is not the sweet story I’ve come to expect of taking on a rehab in France or Italy and falling for the simple life. Granted there’s a bit of that. Mostly this is the story of a very high-profile, dysfunctional family that knows, dines and vacations with some very well known people. There’s plenty to entertain foodies, Francophiles, Anglophiles, and literati, with some tantalizing bad behavior if that’s your thing. At times I found the name dropping annoying, but mostly I enjoyed the writing...more
Ashley
BORING! Didn't quite finish it because I was so tired of reading it....
LAPL Reads
In this sparkling, joyful family memoir, Gully Wells has created an homage to her mother, the irrepressible Dee Wells, not exactly a rock of stability, but who did create a vacation house that would become a solid lodestone in the lives of her children, grandchildren, husband, lovers and friends. She bought a ramshackle farmhouse that was clinging to a hillside in southern France and made it into a vacation home that became a summer retreat, and respite for some, from a busy life in England.

Dee...more
Debbie Smith
Started this book about a week ago (8/7/11). The author has an extensive vocubulary which I always enjoy and has written this non-fictional account of her life as it relates to living in England and France at her Mother's maison secondaire. I am about 1/3 through.

Gully appears to have grown yp to be a wonderful Mother and Wife based on her eternal optimism. I don't think that other children would have shared her views as being a happy child. I think it was this outlook on her family life and adu...more
Lucy Wightman
I am gullible, Ask anyone who knows me. I can sit through virtually any movie, because I can believe the story, even if it's bad. This, I have determined, is for the same reasons I can take good photographs - if it is in front of me, I can notice something good and curious about it. Words are not enough to give me that primitive "in-front-of-me" feel. To be captivated means I cannot be annoyed on a regular basis.

This book annoyed me in so many ways I could not finish it. When I was younger, I wo...more
Sheila
I picked up this book at a knock-down book table at my lovely local bookstore; I was heading north for a kayak trip and needed something to read in case it rained for five days. (Mercifully it didn't and the trip was great or I'd have been mightily irked by the time I got home.)

Lots of famous people, glamour, and never-ending parties but finally a very depressing read. It's an apology for unforgivable behaviour from both her mother and her stepfather - the former rude, vengeful and neglectful, t...more
Susan Ovans
Considered abandoning this book about halfway through and am glad I didn't. For a good portion of its 300+ pages, I really disliked all the people in this memoir, including the author, Gully Wells. They all came off as brilliant but self-absorbed. No matter how many adjectives Wells used to try to infuse some charm into her family members, friends, and lovers, it didn't wash. They mostly seemed pretty awful. And the ones who weren't awful were kind of sad. But the last third of the book was actu...more
Lucy Foley
A delicious memoir - gossipy, sun-drenched and frequently poignant. A perfect holiday read - as satisfyingly escapist as a great novel, but with the exciting frisson of knowing that many of the characters one meets are real - and often celebrated - figures.
Lia Von straßerburg
Gorgeously written, tasty morsels of description , just a beautiful feast of a memoir stewed in characters I wish I could have guzzled wine with, laughed and debated with, late into the night.
Joanne
A bit self-indulgent. I was expecting more about living in France than about family gossip about people I found it hard to care about.
Nette
I'd probably give the first half of this memoir five stars. It's a delicious description of her nutty parents -- a stuffy, set-in-his-ways-yet-fabulously-slutty British professor and a scream-y, dramatic American woman -- and the ramshackle French house they inhabit. Many other authors would look back at this dysfunctional union with sorrow and self-pity, but Ms. Wells thought it was rollicking good fun, so props to her! Unfortunately, the second half, where the author grows up, goes off on her...more
False Millennium
Ms. Wells was writing of an era I knew well. I knew (not personally) the cast of characters. I had no idea her mother had been Dee Wells. I never connected the dots. Having bought Dee's book Jane> while I was in London, I re-read it for years and loved the satire on British life and manners. Parts of this book were tragic, from one who knows. The life time of damage a child carries throughout their life from the indifference or cruelness of a parent. It reads like a true memoir and loving, ho...more
Leslie
First off, this isn't about fixing up a house in France which I admit was the reason I chose it. Second, it is very well written but intensely detailed, to me, to the point of frustration with some of the "characters" I didn't know who anyone was but I did enjoy learning about them. I did think the authors intense love for her extremely adulterous step father was odd, no matter how wonderful he may have been he was a dirty old man to the extreme. No thanks, deal breaker for me. I did finish the...more
Caro
Having just finished Alexandra Fuller's two memoirs, I was almost memoired out, but this grabbed me in the end. Another crazy, angry, charming, combative mother, plus the typical connections you seem to get in a small country (Martin Amis, Bertrand Russell, Iris Murdoch and the ubiquitous Christopher Hitchens are just a few who make an appearance). Another unconventional upbringing, with several father figures in her life and her mother's odd, awful neglect of her younger brother, and then her m...more
Josie
Lovely, loving memoir.
Marilyn
Will anyone else think it is amazing.... probably not. It joined the girlhood fantasy of having different parents ( maybe like Gully's) and a house in the family since 1963 that has pulled everyone together since then. I just kept thinking that the house was and is a chief part of their lives. Good for a family like us.

BUt the people in GUlly's life a way different than mine and it was very interesting for me to be in a hi-class, swinging academic, writer lifestyle.
Kim Sheehan
My problem with most memoirs is that, frankly, people get pretty dull once they turn say 30 or so. They recognize the foibles of their youth, they can critically examine the oddness of their parents, and they basically settle down and have a life.

Unfortunately, most memoirs hit this point about halfway through and I lose interest. And such it is with this well written yet overly name dropping (of people I don't know) memoir.
Jmwandrey
Interesting famous family with lots of drama and the south of France...what could be better?!
Dan
As in my partial review, I enjoyed the entire book, but found the pace quite slow. It is very much a family memoir, but once you figure out all the players, and who is sleeping with whom, you feel like part of the family. While the characters in general lead a privileged lifestyle, they also give a feeling of normalcy in the face of the great upheaval conflicting the world at that time.
Susan Zinner
Light and amusing; don't expect any real depth here, but it is interesting to learn about the private lives of such literary superstars such as Jane Howard, Martin and Kingsley Amis, Iris Murdoch, etc. Gully and her friends have no moral qualms about cheating on their spouses, getting married 2 or 3 times, etc., so reader be warned! Frothy, but fun.
AmblingBooks
"Travel, celebrity, infidelity�and a generous dose of Provence. Charming and fascinating." � Peter Mayle, New York Times bestselling author

Listen to The House in France on your iPhone, desktop, or smartphone.
  • Letters from London
  • How the Heather Looks: A Joyous Journey to the British Sources of Children's Books
  • What There Is to Say We Have Said: The Correspondence of Eudora Welty and William Maxwell
  • Artemis (Kydd Sea Adventures, #2)
  • Adventures on the High Teas: In Search of Middle England
  • Italian Ways: On and Off the Rails from Milan to Palermo
  • Writing Home
  • The Broken Road: Travels from Bulgaria to Mount Athos
  • Love and War in the Apennines
  • Perilous Fight: America's Intrepid War with Britain on the High Seas, 1812-1815
  • Enlightenment: Britain and the Creation of the Modern World (Allen Lane History)
  • A Sense of Direction: Pilgrimage for the Restless and the Hopeful
  • Churchill's Empire: The World That Made Him and the World He Made
  • Wait for Me!: Memoirs
Gully Wells was born in Paris, brought up in London, educated at Oxford, and moved to New York in 1979. She is a features editor at Condé Nast Traveler magazine. She lives in Brooklyn with her husband and children.
More about Gully Wells...
Cherries From Chauvet's Garden