Start by marking “Instructional Coaching: A Partnership Approach to Improving Instruction” as Want to Read:
Instructional Coaching: A Partnership Approach to Improving Instruction

Instructional Coaching: A Partnership Approach to Improving Instruction

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  14 reviews
An innovative professional development strategy that facilitates change, improves instruction, and transforms school culture!

Instructional coaching is a research-based, job-embedded approach to instructional intervention that provides the assistance and encouragement necessary to implement school improvement programs. Experienced trainer and researcher Jim Knight describes
Published April 1st 2007 by Corwin Press

To ask other readers questions about Instructional Coaching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Instructional Coaching

Kristina
Excellent book! Jim Knight covers the basics and more on instructional coaching no matter what you are a coach for. He begins with what does coaching look like then discusses the partnership philosophy. He gives a beginning coach direction and guidance on how to get teachers on board, strategies on how to support them and ends with 8 tactics for the coach to stay the course.
John Nolan
An ed school read, but very useful information
I totally agree with everything he says pretty much,
especially the idea of treating your co-workers as partners.
And his "pedagogy" for presentations is the way to go.
Julie Aquilina
I find that in most teaching-related books, I'm constantly searching through the theory to land on the practical: those tangible strategies I can try in my classroom or learning teams tomorrow. And, if you're like me that way, Chapter 7 has the most bang for your buck. I left with one big idea that I thought might be useful. Namely, Knight divides teaching into what he calls, "the big four." That is, "behavior, content, direct instruction, and formative assessment." As of now, I have a growing l ...more
Briana
I strongly recommend Instruction Coaching: A Partnership Approach to Improving Instruction to anyone working or aspiring to work as a literacy or instructional coach.

Instead of beginning with Chapter 1, I recommend starting with chapter 9, Coaches as Leaders of Change, and then circling back to chapter 1. Chapter 9 describes specific tactics for navigating the tricky nature of being both a leader and collaborative partner. Having the strategies suggested on hand as you begin or continue your co
Heidi Hodgins
As a new Instructional Coach this book was a valuable resource. It was almost like Jim Knight was describing my world. I would highly recommended this book for any leaders in a school or Instructional Coaches. FYI...all the ICs in my school district read this book for a book study and it was a great tool for defining our roles.
Luisa
Fiiiiinally finished this one! I read this book for work, and finished all but the last chapter pretty quickly. There are some great ideas for instructional coaching in here--I'll have to go back through and review my notes, becauseI started it in the fall and don't quite remember the beginning!
Monique
This is probably a five-star book, but it took me months to read. Even professional books usually don't take me longer than a week. I read an article based on the book, and I think the article was plenty.
Christy
Knight, who runs the Kansas Coaching Project, has put together a coaching handbook of sorts. His major belief is the partnership approach, or what some call shoulder-to-shoulder coaching.
Shaeley Santiago
Practical book about coaching. One of Knight's earlier books on the subject, so it is foundational in nature. Definitely one to refer back to frequently.
Caroline
Just finished to prepare for an interview. Great ideas on successfully implementing instructional coaching.
Paige
good practical advice to focus the work of Instructional coaches.
Sharon Richardson
I did not find this book particularly helpful.
J.W. Cunningham
Job specific, but very informative.
Kelly Tittle
Kelly Tittle is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2015
Kathryn Allen
Kathryn Allen marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Trey Veazey
Trey Veazey marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Connie
Connie is currently reading it
Jun 04, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Kirsten
Kirsten is currently reading it
May 10, 2015
  • Building Teachers' Capacity for Success: A Collaborative Approach for Coaches and School Leaders
  • The Art of Coaching: Effective Strategies for School Transformation
  • Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization
  • School Leadership That Works: From Research to Results
  • Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design: Connecting Content and Kids
  • Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (Book & CD-ROM)
  • Essential Questions: Opening Doors to Student Understanding
  • So What Do They Really Know?: Assessment That Informs Teaching and Learning
  • Visible Learning for Teachers: Maximizing Impact on Learning
  • What Really Matters for Struggling Readers: Designing Research-Based Programs
  • What Great Principals Do Differently: 15 Things That Matter Most
  • Better Learning Through Structured Teaching: A Framework for the Gradual Release of Responsibility
  • Comprehension Going Forward: Where We Are / What's Next
  • Instructional Rounds in Education: A Network Approach to Improving Teaching and Learning
  • Choice Words: How Our Language Affects Children's Learning
  • Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement
  • Understanding by Design
  • Write Like This
Unmistakable Impact: A Partnership Approach for Dramatically Improving Instruction High-Impact Instruction: A Framework for Great Teaching Coaching: Approaches & Perspectives Focus on Teaching: Using Video for High-Impact Instruction Culture that Rocks