Start by marking “Instructional Coaching: A Partnership Approach to Improving Instruction” as Want to Read:
Instructional Coaching: A Partnership Approach to Improving Instruction

Instructional Coaching: A Partnership Approach to Improving Instruction

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  150 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
An innovative professional development strategy that facilitates change, improves instruction, and transforms school culture!

Instructional coaching is a research-based, job-embedded approach to instructional intervention that provides the assistance and encouragement necessary to implement school improvement programs. Experienced trainer and researcher Jim Knight describes
Published April 1st 2007 by Corwin Press

To ask other readers questions about Instructional Coaching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Instructional Coaching

Kristina
Apr 14, 2008 Kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coaching
Excellent book! Jim Knight covers the basics and more on instructional coaching no matter what you are a coach for. He begins with what does coaching look like then discusses the partnership philosophy. He gives a beginning coach direction and guidance on how to get teachers on board, strategies on how to support them and ends with 8 tactics for the coach to stay the course.
John Nolan
An ed school read, but very useful information
I totally agree with everything he says pretty much,
especially the idea of treating your co-workers as partners.
And his "pedagogy" for presentations is the way to go.
Julie Aquilina
I find that in most teaching-related books, I'm constantly searching through the theory to land on the practical: those tangible strategies I can try in my classroom or learning teams tomorrow. And, if you're like me that way, Chapter 7 has the most bang for your buck. I left with one big idea that I thought might be useful. Namely, Knight divides teaching into what he calls, "the big four." That is, "behavior, content, direct instruction, and formative assessment." As of now, I have a growing l ...more
Briana
Feb 02, 2015 Briana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I strongly recommend Instruction Coaching: A Partnership Approach to Improving Instruction to anyone working or aspiring to work as a literacy or instructional coach.

Instead of beginning with Chapter 1, I recommend starting with chapter 9, Coaches as Leaders of Change, and then circling back to chapter 1. Chapter 9 describes specific tactics for navigating the tricky nature of being both a leader and collaborative partner. Having the strategies suggested on hand as you begin or continue your co
Gill
Jul 08, 2015 Gill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful book in my journey as an instructional coach! I highly recommend.
Heidi Hodgins
Feb 27, 2012 Heidi Hodgins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a new Instructional Coach this book was a valuable resource. It was almost like Jim Knight was describing my world. I would highly recommended this book for any leaders in a school or Instructional Coaches. FYI...all the ICs in my school district read this book for a book study and it was a great tool for defining our roles.
Luisa
Aug 01, 2012 Luisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Fiiiiinally finished this one! I read this book for work, and finished all but the last chapter pretty quickly. There are some great ideas for instructional coaching in here--I'll have to go back through and review my notes, becauseI started it in the fall and don't quite remember the beginning!
Monique
This is probably a five-star book, but it took me months to read. Even professional books usually don't take me longer than a week. I read an article based on the book, and I think the article was plenty.
Christy
Mar 16, 2012 Christy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
Knight, who runs the Kansas Coaching Project, has put together a coaching handbook of sorts. His major belief is the partnership approach, or what some call shoulder-to-shoulder coaching.
Shaeley Santiago
Practical book about coaching. One of Knight's earlier books on the subject, so it is foundational in nature. Definitely one to refer back to frequently.
Teri
Apr 07, 2016 Teri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
If you are an instructional coach or thinking about becoming one, you should read this book. So many useful nuggets of information!
Stephanie
Aug 02, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read with strong research-based practices. I liked the question stems and additional readings at the end of each section.
Caroline
Jul 07, 2011 Caroline rated it really liked it
Just finished to prepare for an interview. Great ideas on successfully implementing instructional coaching.
Paige
Aug 16, 2010 Paige rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
good practical advice to focus the work of Instructional coaches.
Sharon Richardson
I did not find this book particularly helpful.
J.W. Cunningham
Sep 27, 2013 J.W. Cunningham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Job specific, but very informative.
CS
CS rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Barbara Alley
Barbara Alley marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Kathy Fields
Kathy Fields marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Nancy Bertrand
Nancy Bertrand marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Kyle Clements
Kyle Clements marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Kelly1142
Kelly1142 marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Noelle
Noelle marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Tony Jones
Tony Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Alicia Duell
Alicia Duell rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Building Teachers' Capacity for Success: A Collaborative Approach for Coaches and School Leaders
  • School Leadership That Works: From Research to Results
  • The Art of Coaching: Effective Strategies for School Transformation
  • Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization
  • Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (Book & CD-ROM)
  • Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design: Connecting Content and Kids
  • Instructional Rounds in Education: A Network Approach to Improving Teaching and Learning
  • Visible Learning for Teachers: Maximizing Impact on Learning
  • Classroom Instruction That Works: Research-Based Strategies for Increasing Student Achievement
  • Comprehension Going Forward: Where We Are / What's Next
  • Essential Questions: Opening Doors to Student Understanding
  • Better Learning Through Structured Teaching: A Framework for the Gradual Release of Responsibility
  • Making Thinking Visible
  • So What Do They Really Know?: Assessment That Informs Teaching and Learning
  • Understanding by Design
  • The Ten-Minute Inservice: 40 Quick Training Sessions That Build Teacher Effectiveness
  • Write Like This