To Have and to Hold (Bridal Veil Island, # 1)

To Have and to Hold (Bridal Veil Island #1)

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  466 ratings  ·  47 reviews
When Audrey Cunningham's father proposes that they move to Bridal Veil Island, where he grew up, she agrees, thinking this will help keep him sober and close to God. But they arrive to find wealthy investors buying up land to build a grand resort on the secluded island--and they want the Cunninghams' acreage.Contractor Marshall Graham can't imagine why the former drinking...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 2011)

Kathleen (Kat) Smith
"Them there Yankee's are overrunning the island again!" shouts an elderly woman holding a loaded shotgun, while keeping an eye out over the grove of oak trees just off the porch of the house.

Not knowing what is causing the commotion, Audrey Cunningham comes running from the house only to see her elderly housekeeper, Thora, getting ready to fire again as a poor young man attempts to wave a white handkerchief from behind a tree.

Taking the shotgun away from Thora, Audrey reminds her that the war be...more
Jenni C
Pros: The book kept me somewhat interested and I kept reading... I did like the very brief witty remarks from Aunt Thora and the book was proper and appropriate.

Cons: The author made the heroine seem dumb, moody, stubborn, and anything but admirable. I kinda felt like she was a young woman hater...even though the author, um, is a woman. The romance...when it happened was kind of a big surprise, like "Surprise! So and so really does like so and so...even though you had no idea!" I was not a fan...more
To Have and to Hold by Tracie Peterson and Judith Miller is the first book in the Bridal Veil Island Series and I promise it is a series you are going to want to read.

Audrey Cunningham has reluctantly moved with her father (Boyd) from Pittsburgh to his ancestral home on Bridal Veil Island, Georgia. A former alcoholic, who gave his life to the Lord, her father is a changed man and she cannot deny him when he begs her to move. She is hoping that the remoteness of the place will keep him sober and...more
Carly
When I think about my favorite Christian novelists, Tracie Peterson and Judith Miller are certainly two names that spring into my mind right away. I have liked their novels they have written independently and I have liked their collaborative efforts as well. I was delighted to find that they were working on a new series together. To Have and To Hold is the first book in their Bridal Veil Island series. I loved the fact that this book took place in the South shortly after the Civil War came to an...more
Amber Stokes
For those who enjoy a sweet historical story with a few tummy-tingling romantic moments and some added mystery, To Have and to Hold is a book you'll want to have on your shelf and hold in your hands. (The lovely cover is an added incentive!)

For Audrey, there doesn't seem much she can have and hold - not the island, not her father's health, and not trust in God or anyone else. But dear (and interesting) friends, a hard-working (and handsome) young man, and some suspicious characters challenge Aud...more
Megan
Another wonderful read by Tracie and Judith - I love when these two authors team up! Every book I have read by this pair has been great and I always am excited when there are new ones by them.

I have to say that To Have and to Hold is a great start to a new series. All the characters in this book were well written; some were endearing and fun, while others devious and conniving. While I had an inkling very early on who was behind all the sabotage (and was right!), some things surprised me!

I love...more
Marie
3.5 Stars

A popular writing duo returns to historical romance with this formulaic novel focusing on faith, tragedy and hopeful triumph. After conquering alcoholism, Boyd has found God but not in time to save his ancestral home. He faces hard times while his daughter Audrey feels the burden of his mistakes during her struggle to secure her own future.

Struggling with her faith in God, Audrey is forced to deal with her family's changing circumstances of both financial hardship and the loss of loved...more
Kortney
Audrey Cunningham was making a good living being a house maid to a wealthy family in Atlanta and wants nothing to do with returning to her father Boyd's old home on Bridal Veil Island. After being on Bridal Veil Island for a couple months she comes to find out that their money troubles are worse than she expected and that she not only needs to find a job and fast but that they might need to find a new home. However, things take a turn for the good when Mr. Morley her old boss comes in town with...more
Miss Pippi the Librarian
The Cunninghams have returned to their family land. Unfortunately, life in the South is not a return to paradise. Audrey's grandmother couldn't pay taxes on the land, so investors are building a resort on the land she sold. Audrey's father has failing health and he sets out to find someone to keep Audrey protected after he passes away. Audrey is determined to save her family's land and stand on her own two feet.

Peterson and Miller co-write beautifully in their new island series. (Their previous...more
Barbara
This book was slow in starting,and I knew where the plot was headed right away, but there were also some very interesting and exciting parts. Christian Historical Fiction is my favorite genre, and I found several things about this novel pleasurable. The character of Aunt Thora was a funny, whimsical addition that added humor. The depiction of Georgia shortly after the end of the civil war seemed realistic, and helped keep my interest. I will definitely give the rest of this series a try.
Lynne Young
Katie Marie
Tracie Peterson normally never disappoints me, so it saddens me to have to say that I would not recommend this book, I couldn't even get through it. The mystery that was involved was very obvious about who was doing what, also it was a very slow moving story. I was very disappointed and truly wish I didn't have to give this book a one star.
Susan Hollaway
Tracie and Judith have yet again proved to be a great writing team in their latest series together. To Have and To Hold is book one in the Bridal Veil Island series. This was a wonderful story that contains mystery, history, and love. A great combo, in my opinion. While this is historical fiction and Bridal Veil is a fictitious island, references are made to real places and names of real people. I love it that Tracie and Judy have shared a little in the back of the book about how they came to wr...more
Cary
The best thing I can say about this book is that it wasn't totally awful and it was squeaky clean! However when it takes me almost a week to read a book this size then I know that I am doing it out of duty and not for enjoyment! I didn't feel as "preached to" in this book as I did in the last one I read by this author but I also felt like this was one of the most pedantic plots I've had the "pleasure" to endure. To all my dear sweet friends who love this author... I just want to say I still like...more
Margaret
Being a Georgia native and having spent some old fashioned childhood summers on Jeckyll Island it was intriguing to read about a historic type of beginning for such a place. While not my favorite Teacie Peterson. I did enjoy the novel and plan to come back for more from Tracie and Judith Miller in To Hold and to Cherish.

*Thanks to Bethany House for providing a copy for review through the Christian Fiction Blog Alliance.*

Originally posted: http://creativemadnessmama.com/blog/2...
Stacy
I was so happy to see all three books in this series newly available on my library's website, for digital download to my Kindle. I've always enjoyed every book I've read by Tracie Peterson (Christian fiction), and she teams here with Judith Miller. This was the first one, set in the late 1800's on fictional Bridal Veil Island, near actual Jekyll Island, off the Georgia coast. A lot of good characters, a little mystery, a little romance, pretty much the right combination for me. I really look for...more
Shellie
Pretty cute little story!
The girl is living on an island oasis and there are plans to sell most of the island to investors who want to turn it into a resort. The problem is, there is already a resort going up on a neighboring island. Too many fish in the sea can create chaos...and soon no one knows why the resort construction workers keep having set backs. No one, that is, except for the assistant construction manager.......
of course, wrap a love story or two into the mix, and voila! Cute story...more
Michelle
This story is enlightening and encouraging to a time and place where family is everything. Audrey and her father, Boyd come back to Bridal Veil Island from Pittsburgh, Pa., to save their ancestoral home of several years. Little to they know that the estate is behind on the taxes and eventually new investors come into the island and want to make it into a wealthy resort for the wealthy families up north.
Audrey and her father learn to continually lean on their heavenly Father for support, and wisd...more
Cferjani
(blank)
Sara
From the opening chapters of this novel, the descriptive writing skill of these authors was apparent. I loved the written images of the fictional Bridal Veil Island. It almost seemed as if the island was actually the main character of the book.

Which was a good thing, since I didn’t really feel connected to any of the other characters in the book.

Read the rest of my review here:

Paulabella
This is the first book of Tracie's that has disappointed me. It was very slow going. A rather dull plot. Almost didn't finish it and could guess where it was heading most of way. The elder lady in the story was supposed to be amusing but I could have done without her in the story period. If she makes this into a series, I won't be continuing with it. Just way more excitement and unexpected twists in so many others of her series.
Monica
This story starts off slow, but picks up towards the middle. It's pretty obvious where the author is going once the action starts picking up, so not any twists or turns. There are some parts that made me shake my head at the characters behavior. Overall middle of the road. Not horrible, but nothing that truly stood out.
Kymberly
A book of love between man, woman, and God. The story is very good and gives a good perspective on how God can be kept in the love between two people. It truly helped me get along with God and reconnect with Him. The romance and ideals of true love and happiness are shown throughout the book- and not just love between a couple but between father and daughter.
Cheyenne
This story had potential but I feel like the characters were underdeveloped and the plot was lacking. It seemed like a book just sort of thrown together. I wished we had been given more in the way of plot and that the characters had developed in a believable way. It was just an okay book I don't think I will be continuing on in this series.
Bethani
This book, was definitely not on par with Tracie Peterson's other novels. It did not engage my attention at all.For me,the characters weren't dynamic and the plot moved slowly. Because it was so difficult for me to engage with the characters and become invested in this plot I did not enjoy the book as I have others. 2/5
Marci
Sandy
I have mixed feelings with the book. At first I really liked it but after awhile I kind of started losing interest in the book. There was just something missing in my opinion. I usually love Ms. Peterson's book but don't know what it was about this book that left me wanting more.
Mary Bronson
I thought this was a very good book. I really enjoyed reading it. I thought the characters and the plot were both very well written. I really do enjoy reading books by Traice Paterson and Judith Miller. They make a really great team. I can not wait to read the next book in the series.
Calli
A simple kind of story that picks up at the end! The first few chapters are pretty calm/peaceful and then after the climax the ending is nice and calm just like the begining! A good book to read if you just want a single novel with a satisfying ending:)
Darcee
Cute book. I liked that it was based out of GA :)

I thought it got better towards the end
  • An Unlikely Suitor
  • Valley of Dreams (Wild West Wind #1)
  • No Safe Harbor (Edge of Freedom, #1)
  • The Bride Wore Blue (The Sinclair Sisters of Cripple Creek, #3)
  • A Most Unsuitable Match
  • Song of My Heart (Heart of the Prairie #8)
  • Fairer Than Morning (Saddler's Legacy, #1)
  • Love Blooms in Winter (The Dakota Diaries #1)
  • The Captive Heart (Daughters of Caleb Bender, #2)
  • A Love Surrendered (Winds of Change, #3)
  • Beyond Hope's Valley (The Big Sky Series, #3)
  • Ransome's Quest (The Ransome Trilogy #3)
  • The Doctor's Lady
  • The Pursuit of Lucy Banning (Avenue of Dreams, #1)
  • Before the Scarlet Dawn (Daughters of the Potomac, # 1)
  • Sixty Acres and a Bride (Ladies of Caldwell County, #1)
  • A Great Catch (Lake Manawa Summers, #2)
  • Deeply Devoted (The Blue Willow Brides, #1)
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison
More about Tracie Peterson...
A Lady of High Regard (Ladies of Liberty, #1) A Daughter's Inheritance (The Broadmoor Legacy, #1) Land of My Heart (Heirs of Montana, #1) Dawn's Prelude (Song of Alaska, #1) Embers of Love (Striking a Match, #1)