Start by marking “Dinosaurumpus” as Want to Read:
Dinosaurumpus

Dinosaurumpus

Shake, shake, shudder, near the sludgy old swamp. The dinosaurs are coming. Get ready to romp. Join in with Triceratops, Stegosaurus, and friends as the dinosaurs stir up a Dinosaurumpus!

Where can you find a Deinosuchus that practically pirouettes on its tail and a T-Rex that bounds gracefully through the air? Between the pages of Tony Mitton's Dinosaurumpus, where dinosau
Published March 1st 2003 by Orchard (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaurumpus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaurumpus

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisHowl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne JonesThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Best Books ever written (for children)
18th out of 186 books — 20 voters
Dinotopia by James GurneyHow Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You? by Jane YolenHow Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food? by Jane YolenHow Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? by Jane YolenEdwina, the Dinosaur Who Didn't Know She Was Extinct by Mo Willems
Dinosaur Picture Books
30th out of 138 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Claire Russell
Sep 21, 2012 Claire Russell rated it liked it
Bumpus jumpus Dinosaur Rumpus is a great fun book to read out loud. The book begins with 'a quake and a shiver and a rumbling around' as the dinosaurs arrive and 'ready to romp'. Each dinosaur has their own dance move and rhyme and they are all having a great time until they hear a scary roar sound, the roar of Tyrannosaurus - luckily he wants to join in the romp too. They all dance around until they wear themselves out, begin snoring and fall asleep.

The book would be good for Nursery and Recep
Clementine Lagarde
Shake, shake, shudder near the sludgy old swamp. The dinosaurs are coming! Get ready to romp!

This is a wonderfully illustrated book about dinosaurs having a party but unfortunately a terrifying Tyrannosaurus is about to gatecrash the party. The children anticipate that the dinosaurs will be eaten up but instead he joins in! Each dinosaur has their own dance move and rhyme and they are all having a great time. They all dance around until they wear themselves out, begin snoring and fall asleep.

G
Barbara
This board book is fun to read aloud, partly because of the colorful dinosaurs that fill its pages, but also because of the words and sounds describing the dinosaurs' playful antics throughout its pages. although it's doubtful that the real dinosaurs were ever this graceful, it's lots of fun to imagine how playful they might be if they ever got together for a wild rumpus like this. There's no surprise that eventually all the fun must come to an end so the dinosaurs can take a snooze. This one is ...more
Virginia
May 21, 2013 Virginia rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, read-2013
Full of fun, bright colors and dinosaurs jumping and dancing. The rhythm of the words are also a plus. My two kids LOVE this book and make me read it every night. (They are in our current library rotation.)

A fun read. :)

ETA: My kids were so upset that I returned the book to the library that I ended up buying it. I have ended up buying so many books because of the library. LOL.
Krista (She Reads Many Books)
This is not my first time reading this book. I've never been able to enjoy it. I struggle terribly with pronouncing dinosaur names. It's terrible because my son loves them. He really enjoyed this book. He would probably give it 5 stars but I would probably give to two stars because it's just so hard for me to read. I'll round it to 3 stars and leave it at that.
Dolly
Dec 27, 2014 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2008, rhyming, dance
A fun book about dinosaurs. Our girls really enjoyed this one and so did I. We really liked the refrain, "Shake, Shake, Shudder... near the sludgy old swamp. Everybody's doing the dinosaur romp."
Cassie
Jan 04, 2016 Cassie rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-jonathan
My little guy loves this book! I'd give five stars but pronouncing the dinosaur names gets to be difficult and slows down the story.
Melinda Trotter
Nov 01, 2016 Melinda Trotter rated it really liked it
I liked the complexity of the rhyme and the repeat sequence. This book peeked my interest in dinosaurs. The only suggestion I would give to reader is that they will need to brush up on how to properly pronounce the various dinosaur types before reading this to their kids because the names of dinosaurs are real tongue twisters.
The Book Box
Oct 02, 2016 The Book Box added it
Shelves: library
Daddy read this to me, and we had a lot of fun stomping around and making our own dinosaurumpus when we were done!
Jenn Swanson
Sep 20, 2016 Jenn Swanson rated it liked it
This book is very colorful and the illustrations are nice. The story itself is simple and yes, there are dinosaurs in it. Why then did I not seem to enjoy this story? Probably because the whole entire time I kept thinking as I am reading this to my daughter that dinosaurs are WAY too heavy to dance. In the world of fiction it is entirely possible. However my mind refused to move into that world. Children will love this book. Me not so much.
Kalee Stegehuis
May 31, 2014 Kalee Stegehuis rated it liked it
This review originally published at http://rawrisforreading.wordpress.com...

Just look at that jolly Stegosaurus on the cover! Wouldn’t you want to read this book?

The title page is a swirl of purples and pinks with an image of a dinosaur leaping into the story, action lines and all. It’s the kind of beginning that says, “let’s get started!” Following the pages of the book is a shifting in bright colors, from green to red to orange the colors are really lively – perfect for a dinosaurumpus.

The sto
Kathryn (Nine Pages)
First published on my blog Nine Pages .

This book is a play off of Giles Andreae’s Giraffes Can’t Dance, also illustrated by Parker-Rees. Instead of African animals gathering for a dance, it is a group of dinosaurs meeting in the sludgy old swamp. The text rhymes and repeats the phrase “Shake, shake shudder… near the sludgy old swamp. The dinosaurs are coming. Get ready to romp,” which easily becomes singsong, which is perfect for its dance-themed plot. Given time I’d learn to read the whole of
Heidi-Marie
The preschoolers will love this one. I just need to make sure I can get the rhythm right, and that I can pronounce all of the names correctly. A couple of pages seem to drag out the story, but I think the children will be involved enough in the action of the story that it won't be too bad.

4/27/10 & 4/29/10: Both groups enjoyed this. It took them a little bit to get them involved in the rumpus itself. But they liked the pictures and the steady rhythm. And the dinosaur lovers liked the charact
Kathleen Dixon
Dec 30, 2014 Kathleen Dixon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, dinosaurs
All the dinosaurs are gathering near the sludgy old swamp for a fabulous time - a Dinosaur Romp! What's going to happen when the T.Rex comes along???

This is a fabulous read-aloud book with its wonderful rhyming that begs for you to get up and dance. The colours are bold, and the dancing dinosaurs are gloriously happy. James, typically, enjoyed the roaring of the tyrannosaurus more than any other part of the book, but I'm quite sure that when we read it tomorrow he'll start to groove along.
Alexis
Nov 19, 2014 Alexis rated it really liked it
Shelves: quinn-s-picks
Decent kids book. Lots of repetition and onamonapea. I just wish it rhymed/ flowed a little better at times. I also wish there were some phonetic markings for pronunciation of the dinosaur names. There are a couple I'm not very familiar with (and I watch ALOT of dinosaur train) so I can only hope I'm not completely butchering their names to my child. The illustrations of dancing dinos are pretty cute. All in all I'm not going to run out and buy this book for everyone I know, but i would buy it ...more
Becky B
Oct 08, 2012 Becky B rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young readers, Dinosaur lovers
A great book for beginning readers since it has few words and repetitive portions. I used to read this to kindergarten classes in library and they would fight over who would get to take it home (which just meant I got to keep it longer) but shows how much they loved the story and fun pictures. Definitely kid approved.
Angela
Jan 13, 2015 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Bright, clear illustrations, a much-loved topic, and a bouncy, predictive rhyme all make for a fun storytime read-aloud.

The biggest drawback is those scientific dinosaur names! Gotta find a dictionary for a pronunciation guide. I also wish that they had picked a slightly different font - it's a little hard to make out the words quickly.
Alisande
May 27, 2012 Alisande rated it it was amazing
I bought this book for my dinosaur-crazy 2.5 year old. A year later, he is still dinosaur-crazy and this is the best book to reenact with him and his brother. They LOVE this book! Of course, they are encouraged to roar and twist and swoop along with every page of the book, until it too is time for my little dinosaurs to settle down to sleep.

F - 3.5 years old
R - 20 months
Sarah Souther
Jul 26, 2011 Sarah Souther rated it really liked it
Dinosaurumpus has assorted dinos doing dances to rhyming text and a refrain young dinosaur fans can roar and stomp to. The dinos do their thing until T-Rex comes along. What does HE want?

Some lesser-known dinosaur names can trip up an adult while reading aloud, but kids probably won't correct you if you say "deinonychuses" wrong.
Mary
This book is a story about dinosaurs who just want to party all night. Then they sleep until morning comes. It is very repetitive and teaches the reader all about the dinosaurs that existed in the world in a funny and heartwarming way.
Taylor Johnson
This is a very fun book that young children will love. The song like nature of the book along with dinosuar dance moves will have your children excited and ready to sing and dance along. Great book to intergrate movement into your classroom.
Deanna
Oct 28, 2008 Deanna rated it it was amazing
I have read more dinosuar books than I knew even existed and this is by far my favorite. It has great pictures and is tons of fun. You can also make it interactive. I recommend this to anyone that has kids or is a dino lover!
Saba N  Taylor
Sep 14, 2015 Saba N Taylor rated it it was ok
Dinosaurs bust a move in this book with fun illustrations. What turned me off was the text. It was a rhymer that was not written too well. It was hard to find a fun upbeat rhythm while reading to my toddler classroom. But we all loved looking at the pictures and saying the movement words.
Nanci Booher
So I rather enjoy dinosaur books....except for those long complicated names. This one had fun illustrations and rhyming text. I don't know that I can do it for a storytime with a big group, but a smaller size one would work just fine.
Shaley Dunn
Feb 02, 2012 Shaley Dunn rated it liked it
I liked this book because it talked about a lot of different dinosaurs in it and I think the children would learn from it because it was very simple. It repeated its self a lot but it really made a point.
Kelly
Oct 08, 2012 Kelly rated it really liked it
Illustrated by Guy Parker-Rees. This book is great. It includes the real names of dinosaurs without being overwhelming through the use of rhyme and repetition. The text invites the listeners to participate. A sure choice for storytime.
North Lake County Public Library
A bit long for the littlies, even the 4-5 year olds we read to on StoryTime Thursdays, but fun to read and nicely illustrated. If you have enough room and energy to turn it into a participatory romp, it will vastly improve the reading experience.
Caitlin Sabers
This teaches about different kinds of dinosaurs and dancing styles. It is a cute read-aloud and introduces unfamiliar vocabulary.
Kathy Fredrickson
Jul 06, 2009 Kathy Fredrickson rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: librarians, parents
Another good pick for dinosaur-themed story time! Might work a little better with preschoolers--a little long for the wiggly toddlers! But very fun!
Kirsten
Oct 22, 2010 Kirsten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never get sick of reading this to my five year old! It is just so much fun to read aloud with its rhymes and chorus. Would definitely recommend to anyone who reads bed time stories to kids.
  • The Animal Boogie
  • Ten In The Den
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Dirty Bertie