Start by marking “Medicine and Culture” as Want to Read:
Medicine and Culture

Medicine and Culture

A classic comparative study of medicine and national culture, Medicine and Culture shows us that while doctors regard themselves as servants of science, they are often prisoners of custom.
Paperback, Revised, 224 pages
Published November 15th 1996 by Holt Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Medicine and Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Medicine and Culture

Philip Magcalas
Dec 17, 2009 Philip Magcalas rated it really liked it
Payer proposes an engaging, if imperfect, discussion regarding the variations of medicine and health in general between cultures. It is incomplete, if only by virtue of the fact that to tackle the topic with all its due diligence would result in a series of books each the size fo the complete Oxford English Dictionary. However, in its form, it prompts vital discussion, relating to our own perceptions and "knowledge" of both the purpose and practice of medicine.
Mar 12, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: health, textbooks
Evaluates and compares how "medicine" is done in France, Germany, Great Britain and the USA. Very informative and enlightening. I had no idea that there were such drastic differences. I thought medical science should be rational, but this book demonstrates how culture impacts medical practice, and not always for the good.
Nikki
Dec 18, 2014 Nikki rated it it was amazing
This is a 'must read' for anyone who thinks their doctor is always right. This book really opened my eyes to the understanding that doctors are highly influenced by culture and that there are many different options for disease treatments--despite what your doctor may tell you. Once again, we must own our own bodies and take responsibility for our own health!
Joel
May 01, 2009 Joel rated it really liked it
This book was super interesting and really opened up the ol' eyes to the degree of subjectivity involved in the world of medicine and, like, doctorly things. I read a super old copy -- I feel like some sort of "Author's Preface to the New Edition" would've been extra handy. Still, it's a super interesting read.
Donna
Jan 10, 2008 Donna rated it liked it
Fascinating review of how medical systems differ between four modern, westernized countries. You’d expect medical diagnosis and treatment to be very much the same, but in fact they are quite different.
Sandy Jiang
Jun 07, 2014 Sandy Jiang rated it really liked it
Well written and engaging but keep in mind she is a journalist and she uses a lot of her own illness narrative to explain her observations.
But great for people to be aware of cultural competency.
Tj
Tj rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2009
Kristen Willar
Kristen Willar rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2012
Evie
Evie rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2008
Laura rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2012
Marisa Boily
Marisa Boily rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2015
Deborah Bowman
Deborah Bowman rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2012
Judy
Judy rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2015
E. Lauren Powell
E. Lauren Powell rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2013
April
April rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2008
Matt
Matt rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2012
Suzanne Gabbay
Suzanne Gabbay rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2012
Joe O'Malley
Joe O'Malley rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2015
Anneke reijnders
Anneke reijnders rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2013
Erika
Erika rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Anna Pfeiffer
Anna Pfeiffer rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2014
Linda Margaret
Linda Margaret rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2008
Kai
Kai rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2011
Drew Heverin
Drew Heverin rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2014
Matt Stafford
Matt Stafford rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Gaby
Gaby rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2013
brent
brent rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2014
Cristina Veltri
Cristina Veltri rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Ashley
Ashley rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2011